Will the X-Men's 'codenames' actually play a factor in X3?

LostSon88

Superhero
Reaction score
Something I've noticed among X1 and X2 is that rarely are the X-Men mentioned by their "codenames" with the exception of Storm and Rogue.

-Everyone in the X-men calls Logan, Logan.
-Everyone in the X-men calls Cyclops, Scott. (cept' Logan a few times in X1)
-Jean Grey is well...Jean Gray.
-Bobby is Bobby.
etc.

I think what i'm gettin' at is....do you think the characters will call their comrades by their codenames much more often than in the previous films?

Eh, doesn't really matter to me, i just want a thoughtful and good movie, i really don't care if they use their codenames.

Codenames not so important for the X-men, more important for Magneto and the Brotherhood.

Cyclops wasn't around long enough in X2 to be called "Cyclops"

And Iceman did mention Cyclops when he said "This is Cyclops' car"

Pyro was called Pyro.

Rogue and Iceman weren't part of the team yet.

Jean Grey doesn't have a codename.

But I get what you're saying. Wolverine is always referred to as Logan. And Rogue always refers to Iceman as Bobby. And Cyclops is called Scott most of the time.

Either way...

Oh I understand...its really no biggie either way. Its just seeing as how this being set up to be the final chapter w/ THESE characters...i'd like to hear for example someone, lets say Storm, Prof. X, etc. call Logan "Wolverine" before its all said and done and vice versa...

Just a minor detail for this geek...

:)

EDIT: Oh and a quick question...has it been confirmed as to whether or not Jean will be called "Phoenix"?

LostSon88 said:
Oh I understand...its really no biggie either way. Its just seeing as how this being set up to be the final chapter w/ THESE characters...i'd like to hear for example someone, lets say Storm, Prof. X, etc. call Logan "Wolverine" before its all said and done and vice versa...

Just a minor detail for this geek...

EDIT: Oh and a quick question...has it been confirmed as to whether or not Jean will be called "Phoenix"?

It hasn't been confirmed, no.

And I totally get what you're saying. It's one of those things that's crossed my mind from time to time too.

LostSon88 said:

Kinberg said she would be.

I take it from Magneto...seems the only ones who use codenames are the Brotherhood.

JustABill said:
Didn't Magneto call Logan, Wolverine?

Like I said earlier...seems only the Brotherhood actually use their codenames.

wolverine called scott cyclops in teh statue of liberty....they used the codenames there.

jean grey does have a codename, its Marvel girl, thats her really really old codname

and storm is always called by her codname, becasue storm isnt her real name, same with rogue

I don't think they'll use the codenames that much, though it would be cool to see someone on the X-Jet communicating with an X-Man in the field. Like:

Storm to Wolverine, are you in?

"The name's Iceman" - Iceman, meeting Wolverine, X2

Oh crap... or was it "You can call me Iceman"? One or the other... :(

Kitty wont be called 'Shadowcat' apparently...and Colossus will be called 'Tinman'

Didn't Pyro say "Isn't this Cyclops's car?" in X2?

...ooo, he was just itching to be a brotherhood member and use those codenames....

Oh I know that they've actually said the codenames...I'm just hoping that they use them in like a battle situation.

Like as good as the Danger Room clip was...Storm constantly saying "Logan" as opposed to "Wolverine" kinda stood out.

I think its just b/c i'm kinda used to the comics and animated series where they for the most part called him by "Wolverine"

I'm just hoping for at least ONE scene where Storm calls Logan "Wolverine."

If it doesn't happen though, its all good.

Just a minor thing on my wish list. :)

They are called by their codenames sometimes, and somtimes by their real names!!! I bet no one can say "Ororo" ten times fast!!!:D

Magneto uses codenames because he wants them to accept their mutant heritage and use their powers for domination...homo superior...a mutant name seperates the human side(Logan) from the mutant/domintate side(Wolverine). The X-Men hardly use code names because there is still some human sympathy left in them and want to be able to associate themselves with homo sapiens.

chaseter said:
Magneto uses codenames because he wants them to accept their mutant heritage and use their powers for domination...homo superior...a mutant name seperates the human side(Logan) from the mutant/domintate side(Wolverine). The X-Men hardly use code names because there is still some human sympathy left in them and want to be able to associate themselves with homo sapiens.

that is a good point

to me it seems more natural for people who know each other well to go by real names. magneto calls wolverine... logan... because he doesnt know him as well as say storm. there is no reason for jean to call scott cyclops but bobby calls him cyclops because he isnt as close. the xmen calls bobby... bobby... no reason to call him iceman when he becomes a full xmen. juggernaut might be called cain by xavier but juggernaut by the brotherhood and the xmen. i guess it all depends on the relationship between the individuals.

I never really liked how Bobby introduced himself to Wolverine as Iceman in X2. "Call me Ice Man" ?? Lame. :o But whatever...I got over it now.

I always assumed for the films, the codenames are much more fitting when used out on the field during a mission. Just like in films like Top Gun they used their names (Goose, Iceman) when flying.

So I hope if anything they use their codenames in battle.

chaseter said:

Hmm...never thought of it like that. Good job. :up:

I think the way I try to interpret their codenames are like names they should use while on the battle field.

Like for example in Top Gun how they were "Goose" and "Maverick"

Or even in the airforce how they have "Eagle" "Falcon"

Or say SW :-)) ) Ep 4 with "Red 5" "Gold Leader" etc.

I'm not sayin I want them to hear them call each other by that all the time...but ya' know in the battlefield it'd be pretty cool...just like in the comics and show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"