Worst live action DC and Marvel comic films

I'll do my top 3 for each. I'm going to stick with more modern films ( 2000
and more recent).
As I think it's unfair to criticize old movies that may have also suffered
from not having today's technology available.....instead I'm going to
pick films, that despite having that technology, still managed to be ****.

DC:
Jonah Hex (haven't seen Catwoman)

Superman Returns (yes, I said it, I would rather watch Superman IV: Quest for Peace !)

Green Lantern (and I love GL, so that was hard to admit, ouch !) great effects, but executed so poorly, with an unlikeable lead, a boring love interest, and annoying villains. A recipe for how not to make a big budget super-hero film.

and......League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (DC owns it now), yes, that's four, but
I couldn't resist.

oh wait...there's one more. THE SPIRIT, now that is one unwatchable piece of crap, worse than all the others put together.

Now I'm a DC fan, I admit my bias. When DC makes **** films I just accept it
and move on.

However, MARVEL have made some really, really good films, and even some of
their not-so-great films are still fun to watch.

E.G. I didn't mind the first Ghost Rider film, but really enjoyed the second one, because it was hilarious, Cage was crazier than ever, and though it had some really **** moments, it was fun.

So, when Marvel makes a stinker, or worse yet, gets one of their main characters
wrong, IMO, then I get riled up.

Marvel:

Elektra, I watched half of it, then stopped (yes, the second half could be awesome
and I really could have missed out.......said no one ever).

Iron Man 2 and 3, which made me really sad, as I loved Iron Man (it's tied with Dark Knight as my all time fave superhero film). Of the two Iron Man 2 was much lazier
and boring, Iron Man 3 tried a lot harder, and I have to admit the Mandarin twist was original, I didn't think it worked - but props to Shane Black for trying. I kind of see Iron Man 3 as the Superman Returns of Marvel films, let's take everything that makes this character great and turn him into a *****-version of himself. Just IMO, but
I hated that movie (and all it's enormous plot holes).

Wolverine:Origins and The Wolverine. ****, I know you're all like "Are you on crack,
the Wolverine was awesome." man I wish I could agree, I'm from Canada, originally,
and I love Wolverine, but I didn't enjoy either of these films.

There were some good action set pieces in TW, but not enough to save it - again, I didn't like Jackman's portrayal of the character ( he did a great Wolverine in Xmen and X2, and in X3) but he's taken the gruff loner thing a bit too far here
- plus the central premise is that he's sad because his girlfriends have all died, and he can't get sick, he grows old slowly, and will never suffer from lingering injuries, arthritis or any other ailment unlike the rest of us- boo-hoo !

There are plenty of things for Wolvie to feel sad about, like in the comics, how his sense of obligation (giri) kept him from doing what (and who) he really wanted to do, amongst other things - but *****ing about his healing factor, come on that just makes him a *****.

Amazing Spider Man (great effects, but the story, didn't I just see this a couple of years ago....oh wait, I did, with a less annoying actor as Peter Parker, and a less
contrived villain performed brilliantly by a better actor. I guess this film isn't terrible, but terribly unnecessary. The cranes thing was a bit cheesy for my taste, and that
line about the best promises being the ones you don't keep a) doesn't make sense,
and b) makes Peter a *****e bag, which is something he never was in the comics or movies.

However, having seen the trailers TASM 2 looks a lot better, so I have some hope it will
get me keen on Spidey again ( my favourite superheroes have always been Superman, Batman and Spider-Man).

Sorry, rant over. Hey it's all IMO and I know that a lot of people loved those films
but that's just the way I see it.

btw- Great thread !

DC owned League but do they now? And they dont own the spirit either now I dont think. Not sure though.

DC - Steel (what a pos)

Marvel - Iron man 3 (i can't even rewatch that film)

I'm going to go on a limb and say that the worst Marvel film of all time is either...

Electra or that Nick Fury movie from the 90's.

For DC, I'm going to go with...uuhh this hard. So many to pick from (DC does have a lot of crappy movies)

I'd say Steel or Super-Woman. B&R is just laugh out loud bad, but Steel and SW are just plain horrible. Like did they film Super-Woman on the Toxic Avenger set or what?

Batman and Robin is underrated. I know everyone will disagree with me. But I'm biased. I was born in the mid 90s, and Batman and Robin along with Batman Forever were the most appealing Batman movies when I was a kid. Robin was always my favorite character, and Batman 89 and Batman Returns were a little bit more mature than what I was into at the time.

The stuff that really got me into Batman as a 4-5 year old was BTAS, Batman Forever, and Batman and Robin.

I can still enjoy Batman and Robin. It's eye candy, the performances aren't even bad, and the nostalgia i get from it is great!

It's not the Batman that people needed at the time. It should've been a darker movie. But it's still faithful to Batman. Just a different Batman. It's faithful to the campy Batman of the sixties. It's also kind of reminiscent of Batman: The Brave and The Bold. I still think it's a valid interpretation of Batman.

IDK how someone could say that Batman and Robin is worse than Catwoman, Superman IV, or Steel.

Catwoman, Superman IV and Steel are by far the worst DC movies

By far the worst DC film is That George Clooney abomination (I hate it so much that I refuse to use it's actual title). It was just garbage, stinking rotting crappy garbage.
Catwoman was crap as well.
GL sucked royally as well.

For Marvel, it'd be a toss-up between Spider-Man 3 and X-Men 3. Both took steaming dumps on the entire franchise. Spider-Man needed a talented filmmaker to make a really good reboot in order to redeem itself and X-Men needing to drag back Bryan Singer, and Matthew Vaughn, and James Mangold.
Blade Trinity sucked as well.

I think when we discuss BAD Marvel/DC films, we're normally talking about:

DC:

Batman Forever (borderline on the list)
Batman & Robin
Catwoman
Green Lantern
Steel
Supergirl
Superman III
Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
Superman Returns (I'd say borderline as well, since it has a lot of fans)

Marvel:

Blade: Trinity
Captain America (Matt Salinger)
Daredevil (Theatrical cut only...Director's Cut does't make this list)
Elektra
Fantastic Four
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
Ghost Rider
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
Hulk
The Punisher (Dolph Lundgren)
Punisher: War Zone
Spider-Man 3 (though I don't think it belongs on this list)
X-Men: The Last Stand (once again, I don't think it is nearly this bad)
X-Men Origins: Wolverine

I think these are the CBMs that come to mind for most people when this question is asked. This is of course ignoring made for TV movies and such. There would be a few more additions if we counted those.

dc
green lantern I enjoyed it I don't under stand why people didn't like it much.
super girl I brought it for five bucks I couldn't even finished the movie
super man 3 I enjoy it its my favorite out of the three
super man 4 quest for peace if you thought the third super man was horrible I highly re
recommend checking out super man 4 quest for peace
cat women I enjoyed it I watch it all the time
steel I liked it a lot I watch it all the time

marvel
Daredevil it my favorite marvel movie I watch it all the time I highly recommend the directors cut on blu ray

Spider-Man 3 it Was ok does Any one knew that spider- man 3 was almost exactly like super man 3
x-men last Stand I enjoyed it at least until they killed most of the x-men
X-Men Origins: Wolverine I liked it I m big fan of wolverine I enjoyed the squeal a lot more

I think when we discuss BAD Marvel/DC films, we're normally talking about:

DC:

Batman Forever (borderline on the list)
Batman & Robin
Catwoman
Green Lantern
Steel
Supergirl
Superman III
Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
Superman Returns (I'd say borderline as well, since it has a lot of fans)

Marvel:

Captain America (Matt Salinger)
Daredevil (Theatrical cut only...Director's Cut does't make this list)
Elektra
Fantastic Four
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
Ghost Rider
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
Hulk
The Punisher (Dolph Lundgren)
Punisher: War Zone
Spider-Man 3 (though I don't think it belongs on this list)
X-Men: The Last Stand (once again, I don't think it is nearly this bad)

I think these are the CBMs that come to mind for most people when this question is asked. This is of course ignoring made for TV movies and such. There would be a few more additions if we counted those.
I actually kind of like Batman Forever. I definitely prefer it over both Burton films. At least Forever TRIED to explore Batman's character, and to be about Batman (which is more than I can say for Burton). Spider-Man 3 and X-Men 3 are on the list because they took great source material and butchered it to the point that it was painful to watch. They're on the list due to squandered potential, especially since they had one good movie (Spider-Man and X-Men) and one great movie (Spider-Man 2 and X2) behind them.

Worst DC movies: Batman & Robin, Jonah Hex, Catwoman, Batman Forever

Worst Marvel movies: Fantastic Four 1 + 2, Ghost Rider 1 + 2, both Punisher films, X-Men Origins: Wolverine

DC:
Batman: The Movie '66
Superman III
Superman IV
The Return of the Swamp Thing
Supergirl
Batman & Robin
Steel
Catwoman
Superman Returns
Jonah Hex
Green Lantern
Dark Knight Rises
Constantine
The Losers
The Spirit
Red 2

Marvel:
Captain America '90
Howard the Duck
Punisher '89 & Warzone
All of the Fantastic Four movies including '94
Elektra
Man-Thing
X-Men the Last Stand
Both Ghost Rider movies
Spider-Man 3

There's a lot to chose from, but to be fair I think it's only relevant to mention movies that modern moviegoers would be familiar with. Supergirl from the 70's is an easy target but calling it the worst might be a stretch, since it's relatively inconsequential since most modern audiences haven't been effected by it. That's why I'd say Green Lantern is without a doubt the worst.

There's a lot to chose from, but to be fair I think it's only relevant to mention movies that modern moviegoers would be familiar with. Supergirl from the 70's is an easy target but calling it the worst might be a stretch, since it's relatively inconsequential since most modern audiences haven't been effected by it. That's why I'd say Green Lantern is without a doubt the worst.

Supergirl is from the 80's and I certainly think that it sucks no matter the decade. Some other movies can feel outdated and people might think that equals sucking. But Supergirl goes beyond any reasonable doubt.

Green Lantern is horrible as well.

The only exception I'd say it's Batman 66, a movie that might suck according to the conventional cinematic rules and parameters, but it became something else with the pass of time.

DC:
Batman: The Movie '66
Superman III
Superman IV
The Return of the Swamp Thing
Supergirl
Batman & Robin
Steel
Catwoman
Superman Returns
Jonah Hex
Green Lantern
Dark Knight Rises
Constantine
The Losers
The Spirit
Red 2

Marvel:
Captain America '90
Howard the Duck
Punisher '89 & Warzone
All of the Fantastic Four movies including '94
Elektra
Man-Thing
X-Men the Last Stand
Both Ghost Rider movies
Spider-Man 3

I just cant agree with batman 66. That is a hilarious movie. And what was so bad about Red 2? It was what it was not really any better or worse than the first one. Just a decent action flick

Marvel - Man Thing telemovie (2005)
DC - Justice League pilot (1997)

DC:
Catwoman

Marvel:
Man-Thing
Elektra
Ghost Rider movies

Them turrible crap aint worth nobody's time

Supergirl was the 80s, and came after Superman III. I think it is VERY fair game.

Catwoman and Ghost Rider 2

There's a few that I think are just so awful that it's really hard to chose.

Amazing Spider Man (great effects, but the story, didn't I just see this a couple of years ago....oh wait, I did, with a less annoying actor as Peter Parker, and a less
contrived villain performed brilliantly by a better actor. I guess this film isn't terrible, but terribly unnecessary. The cranes thing was a bit cheesy for my taste, and that

While the origin was unnecessary I thought it introduced enough elements for it to work (and it was a better origin than SM1)

People knew it would be an origin. If the movie sucked that's fine but just because it was an origin doesn't automatically mean it sucked in my books. I didn't like the idea of TDKR having Batman give up for example but it I wanted to give it a chance in the same way I would have preferred a year one focus for TASM.

While the origin was unnecessary I thought it introduced enough elements for it to work (and it was a better origin than SM1)

People knew it would be an origin. If the movie sucked that's fine but just because it was an origin doesn't automatically mean it sucked in my books. I didn't like the idea of TDKR having Batman give up for example but it I wanted to give it a chance in the same way I would have preferred a year one focus for TASM.

DcN8auB.gif

Worst Marvel/DC movies, that I actually like or at least enjoy watching if on TV...

Daredevil
Fantastic Four
Superman III
Superman IV
Origins Wolverine
Batman forever
Spider-Man 3 (barring a few cringe-worthy scenes)

Supergirl was the 80s, and came after Superman III. I think it is VERY fair game.

Ah I see, didn't know that.
That aside I was trying to express the sentiment that I feel green lantern's failure has a bigger impact on DC films track record than supergirl's failure over 20 years ago. Just my thoughts on why I'd personally call Green Lantern their worst movie, as I still have a bad taste in my mouth from watching it.

You're right, origin films don't automatically suck. But it's hard to argue that an origin film is good, if it comes reasonably soon after an origin film
that's slightly better, and tells pretty much the same story.

I disagree on the origin being better in TASM, IMO the origin in Raimi's SM was better, mostly because I actually liked Peter Parker.
Tobey Maguire's Peter was a much more relatable character.

Plus it's more faithful to the comics (which doesn't always matter) because it happens on a school trip.

The idea of Peter being able to sneak into a top secret research wing of a huge corporation and then sneak out, was a bit ridiculous. Kind of like him being able to invent the web-shooters. I thought that the webbing being a part of him actually made more sense (although if we were going for realism, I suppose he'd end up shooting webbing out of his ass, like a real spider).
But, hey, that's just IMO.

Anyway, Iin my original post, and I didn't say it sucked, I didn't think it was very good, but it was far from the worst movie ever, my main problem is that it was totally unnecessary) and while I hated Garfield as Peter Parker, I thought he was a pretty good Spider-Man (except when he took his mask off, that was just stupid).

The Lizard was a pretty awful villain really, not evil enough to hate and not sympathetic enough to feel sorry for. He was just sort of there, which is a shame, because Rhys Ifans is such a good actor.

However, it's unnecessary, they didn't need to re-do Spiderman's origin,
again.

They could have gone over it with a one minute montage in the opening credits, and then started from there.

My big problem with the film was that it tried to reboot an origin, and a series that didn't need rebooting -well not for a few more years.

If they'd waited until maybe 2015 or 2016, and given the last Spiderman film some time to settle in the dust, and even more time for us to
leave the previous origin behind.

In fact, because it tries to be an origin film, there's even more reason for
them to NOT make it just 10 years after the first origin film, and wait a bit
longer.

Batman Begins was 2005, 8 years after the awful Batman and Robin,
but 24 years after the first Batman origin film (in 1989)

Man of Steel was 2013, 7 years after the awful Superman returns (and
35 years after the first Superman Origin film.

Even Incredible Hulk, 4 years after Hulk, wasn't an origin film.

Maybe my problem with it is that I thought it sucked when compared to the first Spiderman film (which had a more likeable lead, a better villain and was kind of new and exciting ).

It would be like if Batman Begins came out in 2005, and it was good, and then a couple of years later someone came along and told the same story with better special effects but a less interesting story and worse performances.

You'd be sitting there going "Hey, haven't I seen this just a while ago ? "
It's not the same as "Wow, this movie sucks" but it's more like "Why am I watching this? "

Which is why they didn't need the reboot. I don't have a problem with reboots, some of them are fantastic (like Batman Begins) but I still think they need to give the original origin film some time (especially if it was good - I guess if Raimi's origin film was awful they wouldn't have to wait so long).

Again, that's all IMO.

I disagree on the origin being better in TASM, IMO the origin in Raimi's SM was better, mostly because I actually liked Peter Parker.
Tobey Maguire's Peter was a much more relatable character.

Anyway, Iin my original post, and I didn't say it sucked, I didn't think it was very good, but it was far from the worst movie ever, my main problem is that it was totally unnecessary) and while I hated Garfield as Peter Parker, I thought he was a pretty good Spider-Man (except when he took his mask off, that was just stupid).

The Lizard was a pretty awful villain really, not evil enough to hate and not sympathetic enough to feel sorry for. He was just sort of there, which is a shame, because Rhys Ifans is such a good actor.

However, it's unnecessary, they didn't need to re-do Spiderman's origin,
again.

They could have gone over it with a one minute montage in the opening credits, and then started from there.

My big problem with the film was that it tried to reboot an origin, and a series that didn't need rebooting -well not for a few more years.

:up:

Only listing films I have actually watched...and pretty much wish I had never seen them:

Superman Returns
Catwoman
Batman & Robin
Batman Forever
Watchmen
The Hulk 1
Spawn
X-Men 1-3
Green Lantern
Iron Man 3: The Trevor Slatery Story

Users who are viewing this thread

Back