Comics Would you rather Spidey be married or single?

random_havoc

The Golden Guardian
Reaction score
Okay, so if we kept the same quality writers and artists but could choose whether Spidey was married to MJ or single from this point on, which would it be?

I've always been an advocate on these boards for a single Spider-Man.

I'm not against Peter Parker being married, I just think the character is more exciting when he's single. It opens the spectrum up for the soap opera-like stories that go along with the superhero action of Spider-Man.

And, also, if I would see the character married again why does it have to be to Mary Jane?

I like BND, but I would much prefer a married Spidey.

I voted for a single Spidey...it just makes a little more sense, and works into the characters personality and dynamics better. I never had a big issue with the marriage, but now that he's single again...I think it's a better fit myself...

See here's the thing either way I don't care. I have no preference. I just like well written stories. Also I don't get why you guys are posting all these omd influenced topics now if you go in the spidey form comics page there are more than enough of these. We really don't need 2 spiderman polls bumping other topics to the second page

I know I s**t on the stuff a lot, but whether he's married or not really doesn't matter to me--I more hate the way they got rid of it then the actual getting rid of it. I've read good stories of single Peter and good stories with married Peter. It's just that I want good stories.

I know I s**t on the stuff a lot, but whether he's married or not really doesn't matter to me--I more hate the way they got rid of it then the actual getting rid of it. I've read good stories of single Peter and good stories with married Peter. It's just that I want good stories.
Agreed on all points.

I think I might've even liked the "break up" if it were a well told human story where, I dunno, Peter and MJ simply got a divorce after some organic character development lead them to such a position in life. In my honest opinion, if they have to be serperated, then a plain old divorce would be much more relatable (if it's written well) and have greater potential of being a tear-jerker, rather than some crazy unrelatable scheme that just pisses more people off than it satisfies.

I want a Gay Peter Parker fighting for his right to be married to his long term Bear Boyfriend.

Single. If only to see him wear some of the hipster clothes he wore in the 70s.

Agreed on all points.

I think I might've even liked the "break up" if it were a well told human story where, I dunno, Peter and MJ simply got a divorce after some organic character development lead them to such a position in life. In my honest opinion, if they have to be serperated, then a plain old divorce would be much more relatable (if it's written well) and have greater potential of being a tear-jerker, rather than some crazy unrelatable scheme that just pisses more people off than it satisfies.

Thats my view in a nutshell.

All right, we're getting too many of these random Spider-Man-related polls now, so I'm moving all of them to the Spider-Man Comics section. We've got our one general Spider-Man discussion thread in the Marvel Comics section and that's it. Any further Spider-Man polls or threads will also be moved to the Spider-Man Comics section.

Well, I've always preferred a married Peter Parker. I love the old Swingin' Single Pete, but that time has come and past, and everything that happens now feels like meaningless filler. Now, there is a ceiling placed on the character. He can never get married, if he gets engaged, we know it won't make it to the wedding day, and, if he's dating someone, it will only ever be a) temporary, and b) a pale shadow of what he had with MJ.

Also, I still find it funny that NO ONE (besides Spideyinatree...gotta give him the credit!) was complaining about the marriage on the boards or in general. Then, here comes the OMD solicit, "...answering the question about the controversial Spider-Marriage once and for all..."

Controversial to the Marvel editorial, perhaps, but the fanbase seemed to be fine with it. Of course, there are thsoe who were fine with that, the Other, One More Day, the Unmasking, and every other crappy pill they were told to swallow. So sad.

Also, I still find it funny that NO ONE (besides Spideyinatree...gotta give him the credit!) was complaining about the marriage on the boards or in general. Then, here comes the OMD solicit, "...answering the question about the controversial Spider-Marriage once and for all..."

That's not true. I'm sure I talked about it when it came up. I don't think you could say I complained about it, but is that the only way to get people's attention nowadays?

And frankly, if the premise is that Marvel should/shouldn't have made this change based on fan input, I'm glad they weren't listening. I want them to make sound decisions based on what's best for the character(s), what's best for the stories, and what's best for business. I surely don't want them reacting every time a message board poster gets in a snit. Even if the snit is mine!

:csad:
That's not true. I'm sure I talked about it when it came up. I don't think you could say I complained about it, but is that the only way to get people's attention nowadays?

And frankly, if the premise is that Marvel should/shouldn't have made this change based on fan input, I'm glad they weren't listening. I want them to make sound decisions based on what's best for the character(s), what's best for the stories, and what's best for business. I surely don't want them reacting every time a message board poster gets in a snit. Even if the snit is mine!

I don't want fans dictating stories, either, but utterly upsetting a status quo which you know is going to alienate a healthy percentage of your fanbase is poor business.

That being said, I think I'm one of the few who said I wouldn't go back that actually hasn't gone back and added it to my pull list again. I honestly don't think it matters what they do, people will buy it. Look at Secret Invasion....a crossover with 6 issues of nothing, and it sold like hotcakes.

Don't be sad....

And time will tell whether it was bad business or not. In the short term, the numbers say yes (although the 3X a month muddies that calculation). But I think it was in their best interest over the next 10, 20, 50 years.

If this devil-world reboot with the magical mask that heals the minds....lasts another 10, 15, 25 years...that will be both sad...and AMAZING!

Agreed on all points.

Merciful lord...THIS...THIS RIGHT HERE. The whole thing that leaves such a vile taste in many of our mouths is the ridiculously excessive deus ex machina approach that they took to this change. I mean in the whole scheme of things its "OH...well they were still together...just not married." Then why magically alter things? Ugh...a tear jerker divorce man...a tear jerker would have rocked.

Anyways, I did like Spidey married, but if he had to be single, I wouldn't of been opposed to such a degree. It's how we arrived, that's the problem. If there is something new, potentially controversial but well written, I'll give it a chance after hearing reviews and opinions. I'm not afraid of change, I'm just tired of shock value tactics.

I voted married.

I hoped these two would get together back in the 70's.

I was happy when they finally tied the knot (though I admit they rushed from the second proposal to the wedding and missed an engagement era potential).

This devil deal was a big unnecessary reboot.

I voted married. Why? Cause the way we reached to this new single Peter is absolutely disgusting. Loved #600 (Except the Joe Q cover joke) and a few things here and there, but I can't swallow the "Generous Devil Deal", the Ultimate bonehead move that is the unmasking, the mystic abortion, and the "Everything stayed the same, except they were not married and Harry was alive, and whatever we missed that may cause some problems in the future. I don't mind a single Peter. I just wanted a RESPECTFUL END for the marriage, if it had to end. All this desire to make Peter single was so he could potentialy *bleep* a new girl and then have Chameleon *bleep* her too! Sins Present, anyone?

I liked single Spidey when I read the old stuff but that time's past and the Married Spider-Man is the Spider-Man I've fallen in love with. If that marriage was ended with respect, as others have said, I'd be able to still enjoy today's stories I'm sure, but when everyone from Quesada to Slott pretend it's the best thing since sliced bread, well it just puts a bad taste in my mouth.

I prefer him married, I could have handled single, Marvel chose to alienate me though, so I get neither.

I prefer married.

I could have dealt with an unmarried direction, actually, IF they had gone with a well written, emotionally moving route of sorts.

Making Pete an un-heroic hobo living in a devil created world, where the 20 years of comics I grew up on is an alternate history, that never happened, is just plain bad and pure cheese.

Interested in how long they can keep balancing blocks on the poorly crafted jello that the OMD/BND ongoing direction is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"