• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Apocalypse X-Men Apocalypse News and Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 41

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why the heck is Fox apologizing for that billboard. Nothing is wrong with it. Apocalypse is a villian. Rose McGowen is nuts. She's getting a lot of hate on twitter and I'm glad. But hey she's given it more publicity so thanks? Lol. But gosh what a tool she is. And she's calling the people hating her "****wits". Nice.

I agree. What is Apocalypse supposed to do? Bow down to Mystique? Apocalypse is supposed to be the dominate powerful bad-ass that we know. People are too sensitive these days. Ugh.

Why the heck is Fox apologizing for that billboard. Nothing is wrong with it. Apocalypse is a villian. Rose McGowen is nuts. She's getting a lot of hate on twitter and I'm glad. But hey she's given it more publicity so thanks? Lol. But gosh what a tool she is. And she's calling the people hating her "****wits". Nice.

I didn't have a problem with the billboard because the scene is in the movie. He really does strangle her. And the reason they picked that image wasn't because it was a woman being strangled by a man, it's because it was JLaw.

There was no woman-hating going on here.

Now, if the scene wasn't in the movie, that would be different. But it's at the freakin' climax of the story.

To each their own, Rose is absolutely right, but for me it's obvious that that's the point of the promo. It shows how dangerous Apocalypse is. I can't imagine people seeing this image and thinking it's cool to choke someone. It's the complete opposite feeling.

I don't see how this specifically relates to abuse to women. Apocalypse is violent to everyone (and in fact some male characters suffer more in the movie). The movie definitely doesn't say it's ok to use violence.

Fox shouldn't apologize.

Violence against women is a ****ing huge issue, but I don't personally see the problem with that ad. Apocalypse is not strangling Mystique because she's a female, he is strangling her because she is an enemy. Then again, seeing that ad out of context I can understand why someone would get upset. Still, don't think it was nearly as bad as it's made out to be. Whatever.

All those disclaimers make me wanna do it more. - Milhouse. :o

Eh, they're just trying to sweep all the bad publicity under the rug as soon as possible by apologizing.

Can't believe it. This is very sad.

I'm getting all teary eyed myself thinking of the "women being choked" movie billboards that our children and our children's children will never get to see.

i did get a chuckle out of this comment
"She was married to Marilyn Manson and now she’s offended by a chokehold."

I love me some Rose McGowan... I am a huge Charmed fan and I love her character Paige, but come on this is BULL. Total BULL! I can't believe this.

To each their own, Rose is absolutely right, but for me it's obvious that that's the point of the promo. It shows how dangerous Apocalypse is. I can't imagine people seeing this image and thinking it's cool to choke someone. It's the complete opposite feeling.

I don't see how this specifically relates to abuse to women. Apocalypse is violent to everyone (and in fact some male characters suffer more in the movie). The movie definitely doesn't say it's ok to use violence.

Fox shouldn't apologize.

While you and I are mostly in agreement, Rose McGowan is absolutely right about nothing.

“There is a major problem when the men and women at 20th Century Fox think casual violence against women is the way to market a film...There is no context in the ad, just a woman getting strangled. The fact that no one flagged this is offensive and, frankly, stupid.”

1. This is not casual violence. This is not a man choking a helpless woman because she spilled a glass of milk. This is an image of a physical conflict between two super-powered beings as the fate of the world is in serious danger.

2. This is not even an image of "just a woman getting strangled" by a man. I've never seen regular men or women who like these two in real life, but I admit, I haven't traveled the world all that much. Maybe Apocalypse and Mystique resemble actual people from some remote country?

3. The tagline of "Only the strong will survive" has been on every poster for the film, and not just this one with Mystique.

4. Mystique is a main protagonist of this film. Many action movie marketing campaigns have highlighted protagonists (both male and female) who are in danger of being hurt or killed by an antagonist. This is nothing new. It's a marketing technique, and there are people who will want to see whether or not this character (who I'm sure some/many fans care about) is able to escape from this precarious position.

5. There's no context in the ad? Well, I suppose for those people who have never heard of the "X-Men" and haven't seen any of the films or commercials/trailers for the film before, they might see that billboard and go, "Look, there's a blue guy choking a blue lady. Wonder what the deal with that is."

However, for most people who don't live under a rock and at least have peripheral awareness of the franchise, the title alone (showing that it's an ad for an X-Men movie with an ominous subtitle) should provide more than enough context to grasp what's going on in the image -- one mutant trying to kill another mutant. And anyone who's at least seen one more X-Men films (consisting of 8 films, 6 of which feature Mystique) or have had any contact with other kinds of X-Men media will absolutely have any and all context needed to understand the poster and recognize that it isn't attempting to glamorize violence against women.

6. Beyond that, Mystique is probably the furthest possible thing from a helpless damsel in distress, or a victim of abuse. In every one of her film appearances, she's been showing to be kicking the living **** out of men (and women), and even murdering several.

This whole thing is just another ridiculously pointless "issue" for people to pretend they're offended by. Rose McGowan, in particular, is likely desperate to have her name in the media in anyway possible. She is probably the least important person in Hollywood right now. Her biggest claim to fame of this decade will be "Rose was offended by an X-Men billboard and got the studio the apologize", literally.

Setting all that aside, I will say that this movie poster/billboard is probably one of the worst, laziest, and most uninspired/uninventive movie posters I've ever seen. It's just awful in every way.

there was some people on twitter before the film was even released complaining the poster makes it seem like violence towards women was ok, its been going on for a while.

While you and I are mostly in agreement, Rose McGowan is absolutely right about nothing.

“There is a major problem when the men and women at 20th Century Fox think casual violence against women is the way to market a film...There is no context in the ad, just a woman getting strangled. The fact that no one flagged this is offensive and, frankly, stupid.”

1. This is not casual violence. This is not a man choking a helpless woman because she spilled a glass of milk. This is an image of a physical conflict between two super-powered beings as the fate of the world is in serious danger.

2. This is not even an image of "just a woman getting strangled" by a man. I've never seen regular men or women who like these two in real life, but I admit, I haven't traveled the world all that much. Maybe Apocalypse and Mystique resemble actual people from some remote country?

3. The tagline of "Only the strong will survive" has been on every poster for the film, and not just this one with Mystique.

4. Mystique is a main protagonist of this film. Many action movie marketing campaigns have highlighted protagonists (both male and female) who are in danger of being hurt or killed by an antagonist. This is nothing new. It's a marketing technique, and there are people who will want to see whether or not this character (who I'm sure some/many fans care about) is able to escape from this precarious position.

5. There's no context in the ad? Well, I suppose for those people who have never heard of the "X-Men" and haven't seen any of the films or commercials/trailers for the film before, they might see that billboard and go, "Look, there's a blue guy choking a blue lady. Wonder what the deal with that is."

However, for most people who don't live under a rock and at least have peripheral awareness of the franchise, the title alone (showing that it's an ad for an X-Men movie with an ominous subtitle) should provide more than enough context to grasp what's going on in the image -- one mutant trying to kill another mutant. And anyone who's at least seen one more X-Men films (consisting of 8 films, 6 of which feature Mystique) or have had any contact with other kinds of X-Men media will absolutely have any and all context needed to understand the poster and recognize that it isn't attempting to glamorize violence against women.

6. Beyond that, Mystique is probably the furthest possible thing from a helpless damsel in distress, or a victim of abuse. In every one of her film appearances, she's been showing to be kicking the living **** out of men (and women), and even murdering several.

This whole thing is just another ridiculously pointless "issue" for people to pretend they're offended by. Rose McGowan, in particular, is likely desperate to have her name in the media in anyway possible. She is probably the least important person in Hollywood right now. Her biggest claim to fame of this decade will be "Rose was offended by an X-Men billboard and got the studio the apologize", literally.

Setting all that aside, I will say that this movie poster/billboard is probably one of the worst, laziest, and most uninspired/uninventive movie posters I've ever seen. It's just awful in every way.

I totally agree. And I will say that it's a slippery slope. Because one apology about nothing wrong will lead to more and more and before you know it things will be banned. And for what? No one deserves violence against them but this ad was not about casual violence or promoting it.

I'm getting all teary eyed myself thinking of the "women being choked" movie billboards that our children and our children's children will never get to see.

Hm. You and I might think this is "sad" for different reasons. While you may be sad because you have a "women being choked" fetish and want to see more posters like this one, I was referring to the idea that this poster has been deemed to be "offensive" to women and that a movie studio has bent to the will of a washed up actress with a ton of free time on her hands -- but you already knew that.

there was some people on twitter before the film was even released complaining the poster makes it seem like violence towards women was ok, its been going on for a while.

It's foolishness in my opinion. Because that's not what the ad was about.

There are people on Twitter (and in the real world) who like to complain about anything and everything in this world -- especially "issues" that don't affect them whatsoever.

meaningless when the movie point toward balance of men and women.

You have to wonder if someone is in hot water because of this nonsense. I don't get the impression Rose would care if she got someone fired over nothing.

FOX are probably worried about bad publicity over this thinking it could knock the box office.

On choking ad. We truly need apocalypse (pun intended) to clense this world from Rose McGowan and her feminists

I really enjoyed this:

https://theringer.com/x-men-apocalypse-rankings-c17687361d70#.3m8c5ll4o

It has a diagram of how much each of the actors enjoys/hates being in these movies. Pretty funny.

Also some interesting analysis of this franchise in relation to others. The writer suggests this may be one of the "nerdiest " franchises currently insofar as its generally uncool and not as well liked as other franchises.

Last edited:
tumblr_ltp55fIOPI1qadupho1_500.gif

Wow, I was so confused by this convo people were having here. I was like why are you guys coming for Rose? Didnt realize it was not Byrne, who plays Moira

Last edited:
On some occasions, being offended is a choice. This is one of those times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"