Apocalypse X-Men Apocalypse News and Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 44

Aren't they rebooting the franchise?

I heard that the Xmen may finally be coming to the MCU. That may be the reason that the Inhumans got pushed back to an unknown date.

Lets all pray!

No, none of this is true.

I just saw Logan yesterday and the ending to this movie is very tragic in hindsight. But I think that was intentional.

Those were some great discussions that raised valid points and covered many of the frustations people have with the X-Men series.

I can't watch when they begin by saying "I feel like the X-Men have been rebooted so many times already". Despite it's flaws X-Men has the longest running continuity of all the superhero franchises. Hugh Jackman has played the Wolverine character for 17 years. Continuity errors and retcons are not the same as a reboot.

You can make an argument that the franchise was "reset" with DoFP but the original films still lead up to those events and are still part of the established film universe. It's not the same as the resets that have occurred with Batman or Spider-Man.

I can't watch when they begin by saying "I feel like the X-Men have been rebooted so many times already". Despite it's flaws X-Men has the longest running continuity of all the superhero franchises. Hugh Jackman has played the Wolverine character for 17 years. Continuity errors and retcons are not the same as a reboot.

You can make an argument that the franchise was "reset" with DoFP but the original films still lead up to those events and are still part of the established film universe. It's not the same as the resets that have occurred with Batman or Spider-Man.

I wouldn't be too so quick to dismiss both clips entirely based on one sentence you don't agree with.

I think they're perceiving reboots such as Gambit being rebooted from the XMOW movie into his own film, Deadpool being rebooted from the XMOW movie into his own film (which also included a rebooted Colossus), First Class being a sort-of-reboot (at one point they argued it WAS a reboot, it had Xavier/Erik meeting later on rather than aged 17, it had Xavier being paralysed before the events of XMOW and X3, it had another Emma Frost from the one in XMOW), DoFP was a soft reboot through its time travel stuff altering history, and XM:A then had Kurt joining earlier, Storm getting her white hair from Apocalypse, another Angel appearing, etc.

Even Logan has a rebooted version of Caliban.

So people are noticing all these character reboots and event retcons and getting the sense of a full reboot. Can't say I blame them. The continuity is terrible, and the number of times characters are used again because they botched/misused them the first time (Psylocke, Phoenix, Emma Frost, Trask, Gambit, Deadpool) is shocking, or even used again just because reasons (Angel... the new one didn't really have more presence/character than the X3 one).

I feel that Xmen especially has threats that can't be solved in one movie. Someone like Apocalypse needs 2 and I dream of a Phoenix Saga having 3 movies. I feel XA suffered because everything was done so fast.

I feel that Xmen especially has threats that can't be solved in one movie. Someone like Apocalypse needs 2 and I dream of a Phoenix Saga having 3 movies. I feel XA suffered because everything was done so fast.

Apocalypse needs two movies? He is a mid-level villian in the comics who has been defeated by characters like Cyclops and Jean without Phoenix Force. And has only been a villian for the X-Men on two occasions.

He has only really had one good story and this film was based on that. It was pretty short and was featured in the spin-off X-Men series X-Factor instead of the main series.

Apocalypse isn't very central to the X-Men. He was just overhyped in other media lik X-Men: Evolution which build him up for three seasons, made him more powerful than his comic counterpart, and made him final villian.

Last edited:
Apocalypse needs two movies? He is a mid-level villian in the comics who has been defeated by characters like Cyclops and Jean without Phoenix Force. And has only been a villian for the X-Men on two occasions.

He has only really had one good story and this film was based on that. It was pretty short and was featured in the spin-off X-Men series X-Factor instead of the main series.

Apocalypse isn't very central to the X-Men. He was just overhyped in other media lik X-Men: Evolution which build him up for three seasons, made him more powerful than his comic counterpart, and made him final villian.

yep.Apocalypse basicly was from 4 different storyline-fall of mutants,X-cutioner song,age of apocalypse and the twelve.fall of mutants was original X-factor storyline.apocalypse was secondary character in X-cutioner's song.age of apocalypse is alternate universe storyline.only the twelve he fought X-Men.

Ironically, for all the talk of Apocalypse needing two movies, I think the character had too much screentime in XM:A.

Focusing on Apocalypse highlighted the weaknesses - his simplistic plans, the questionable make-up, the hammy dialogue...

I didn't mind the various different powers he had, the Egypt opening sequence, or him being a plot device for Xavier losing his hair. But he dominated the movie too much.

Given that Ivan Ooze criticism early on - and the worries about a 'disaster movie' vibe - I don't know why they didn't reshape the film before release to make it more about the kids forming the X-Men. The extended/deleted scenes show a better movie is lurking there somewhere.

Last edited:
Yeah, he has more screentime than any other character, except Xavier who he was a foil for.

Ironically, for all the talk of Apocalypse needing two movies, I think the character had too much screentime in XM:A.

Focusing on Apocalypse highlighted the weaknesses - his simplistic plans, the questionable make-up, the hammy dialogue...
Except for his simplistic plans, those things were fault of the filmmakers. His overall appearance was being mocked (an appearance Singer wanted), writing scenes like "Leaaarniiinngg", his voice went through multiple versions in trailers.... he was dead on arrival.

The actually huge armored guy from the comics with flashy morphing powers could've been menacing and awe-inducing in the film, they should've done it similar to Darth Vader and hire an actually tall, muscular guy to don a more classic-looking suit, hire an actor with an actually booming voice to do the dialogue, and leave the rest to CG. Or just do him CG entirely and hire the actor for the voice (more expensive I think). But the opportunity is gone now. I refuse to believe Singer's Apocalypse is the only (or best) live-action version of Apocalypse one could expect. And no bias coming from me as this was my most anticipated X-Men movie and been a fan since 2000.
Funny how you're dragging X-Men: Evolution as not being legit enough a source as comics yet when people defend Magneto and Storm being horsemen in the movie they bring up X-Men: Evolution.

Not to mention Oscar Isaac himself mentioned X-Men: Evolution Apocalypse as one of the inspirations for the movie look of Apocalypse who you defend all the time.

Apocalypse also was very popular for TAS in which he had many episodes and where the filmmakers seemed to even take the "from the ashes of the world we'll build a better one" line from.

But it's no surprise that you're cherrypicking what sources need to be taken into account.

Last edited:
Funny how you're dragging X-Men: Evolution as not being legit enough a source as comics yet when people defend Magneto and Storm being horsemen in the movie they bring up X-Men: Evolution.

Not to mention Oscar Isaac himself mentioned X-Men: Evolution Apocalypse as one of the inspirations for the movie look of Apocalypse who you defend all the time.

Apocalypse also was very popular for TAS in which he had many episodes and where the filmmakers seemed to even take the "from the ashes of the world we'll build a better one" line from.

But it's no surprise that you're cherrypicking what sources need to be taken into account.

Of course they took inspiration from X-Men: Evolution. His followers betraying him and trapping him for thousands of years is straight from Evolution. And honestly that was a smart move by the creators of that show. Since Apocalypse being around for thousands of years and not taking over the world before the existence of superheroes never made sense in comics or 90s series.

I'm not dragging X-Men: Evolution. I'm just telling it like it is. The only reason why some people think of Apocalypse as some sort of Thanos is because of that show overhyping the hell out of him. Even the 90s series overhyped him a little bit by having him steal the role of Sinister as the behind the scenes villain and making him directly responsible for the legacy virus which was Stryfe's feat in the comics. But never to the extend that Evolution did by making him powerful enough to take out the X-Men and Acolytes at once with a single clap, which would never happen in the comics.

Last edited:
I just finished watching the film with commentary from Singer and Kinberg. It made me appreciate the film a little more.

I do find the film to be a little cheesy and a step down from its predecessor, but I think it's a decent enough X-Men film and not XMO:W bad.

I just finished watching the film with commentary from Singer and Kinberg. It made me appreciate the film a little more.

I do find the film to be a little cheesy and a step down from its predecessor, but I think it's a decent enough X-Men film and not XMO:W bad.

i like film but it's defently weakest of 4 x-men films bryan singer directed.unlike
many i like it better than first class but others disagree with me.but certinly isn't as good as x2 or dofp.

Least we got a good Psylocke. :csad:

I agree! What things about the film do appreciate more now? I haven't listened to the commentary.

So was I thinking on how this movie could have been better and I wouldn’t have included Jubilee and Quicksilver. This film was to overloaded with new characters which didn’t do them justice. For starters Scott and Jean would be at the mansion for a couple of years training to be X-Men by Beast and Havok who believe that the world still needs the X-Men while Xavier is happy that Mutants have been accepted. Scott would have retained his bad boy personality while his relationship witht Havok would have been explored. Havok is really trying to make Scott a good fighter and strong leader, Scott on the other hand think it’s a waste of time and he rather be macking on Jean, he doesn’t believe in Xavier’s dream and the only reason he came to the school was to make Havok happy and get away from their parents. Jean is still struggling to control her growing powers and we get subtle scenes with her and Scott.

The plot would still be the same but I’d make the horsemen more of a presence. During the scene where he connects to cerebro he opens a portal to send his horsemen to military bases and they attack, destroying planes and tanks, Psylocke kills soldiers with her blade.
The scenes with Weapon X and the mansion blowing up is gone. Apocalypse still kidnaps Xavier while Psylocke knocks them out with a psyonic blast. Scott Kurt and Jean come back from their date at the mall to learn what happened

Apocalypse stills goes to Cairo, causes destruction and threatens the leaders of the world declaring war through Xavier delivering his message and communicating with Jean

Back at the mansion Moira Mystique Beast Havok with Scott Kurt and Jean are preparing to go after Apocalypse. After the kidnapping of Xavier Scott realizes how much Xavier means to him and how he must fight to make his dream come into fruition. They all put on prototype X-Men suites bored the black bird to Cairo.

In Cairo Kurt battles with Angel, Scott and Jean vs Storm, Beast vs Psylocke while Mystique and Havok try to reason with Eric (a homage to First class). The plane crash scene is gone! Kurt knock outs Angel, Scott manages to subdue Storm out of the sky, Beast is struggling against Psylocke, Jean knocks her out with a psy blast from behind. Kurt manages to tonfree Xavier and they all prepare to board. Apocalypse comes out and sees his horsemen defeated, the black bird preparing to take off and knocks it out of the sky. Mystique fears that Xavier perished leaves from Eric and so does Havok hoping he will make the right choice.

The team leaves the jet and prepare to take on Apocalypse while Jean and Moira stay on the jet to look after Xavier. It’s literally Cyclops Beast Nightcrawler Mystique Havok vs Apocalypse!!! Havok tries to take on Apocalypse in hand to hand combatand he kills him! He snaps his neck. Scott goes crazy and unleashes his full optic blast. Eric witnesses all this and realizes that the X- Men are his family and joins the battle. From ther the astral plane battle happens, Jean unleashed the Phoenix, the other horsemen watch not knowing what to do but Storm steps in to help defeat Apocalypse.
After the team rejoices Angel Storm Psylocke are wondering what will become of them but Beast offers them a spot on the team if their interested and want to repent for what they have done. Xavier restores Moira’s memories. Back at the mansion they have a funeral for Havok with Scott vowing to be the best leader he can be. The ending scenes shows the newly formed X-Men; Cyclops ArcAngel, Storm Nightcrawler Psylocke and Jean in their new uniforms in the danger room with Beast and Mystique

Getting rid of Mystique and Erik would have been my first move, as that could have allowed characters like Storm, Psylocke, Archangel, Scotty and Kurt to get a bigger role. I would have removed Jubilee also as she doesn't need to be introduced along with Kurt, Jean, Scott, Warren, Betsy in the same movie. No Peter and Moira too. Have Xavier and Beast scout around the globe, save Kurt in that circus or cage match and when they meet Storm in Cairo, they accidentally found Apocalypse's tomb instead of Moira randomly waking up Apocalypse from a long nap. While Archangel could have been the star horseman. I'd have d listers as the other horsemen.

Last edited:
Getting rid of Mystique and Erik would have been my first move, as that could have allowed characters like Storm, Psylocke, Archangel, Scotty and Kurt to get a bigger role. I would have removed Jubilee also as she doesn't need to be introduced along with Kurt, Jean, Scott, Warren, Betsy in the same movie. No Peter and Moira too. Have Xavier and Beast scout around the globe, save Kurt in that circus or cage match and when they meet Storm in Cairo, they accidentally found Apocalypse's tomb instead of Moira randomly waking up Apocalypse from a long nap. While Archangel could have been the star horseman. I'd have d listers as the other horsemen.

Hmm ok I like your ideas. However if they would have added d lister Mutants then more fans and critics would have complained. I’m fine with those 3 being horsemen it just that they lacked story, why was Angel cage fighting and wherevis his rich family? Psylocke why was she with Caliban and how was he keeping her suppressed? That scene with Storm talking to Xavier should have been added to the film. I like Moira lol and Quicksilver served no purpose so I hope in Dark Phoenix he better be with the brotherhood and truth be told that’s when he should have appeared again not in this movie.

I feel like jubilee should be in Dark Phoenix since their heading into the 90s and a tribute to TAS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"