X-Men (if Marvel had the rights)

Eh. . . I simply cannot see mutant hatred as a broad phenomenon in the MCU. The MCU is a place where, routinely, the average person when faced with an evil situation stands up to the challenge, in big ways or small. Or to put differently, when *the Hulk* is viewed as a hero with popularity, to the point of having toys in stores, there is no reason to think the average heroic mutant wouldn't be equally capable of popularity if not moreso.

Does this mean vast chunks of classic X-Men stories are unworkable? Yep. This means you either don't do the X-Men at all, or you actually have to be creative for once, and write stories that don't depend on the general public being genocide groupies.

Well, there was that AoS episode where a neighborhood mobbed up on a woman because she seemingly had uncontrollable telekinesis.

The bigger issue, by far, is theme. Simply put, the Mutant Paranoia that virtually all X-comics run on has no real place in the MCU. In order to actually fit the X-Men into the setting, you'd need to be willing and able to write stories for them that *don't* rely on humanity being genocidal psychopaths. "How mutants deal with the world, and how the world deals with mutants" can still be the core, but it has to act at a brightness and nuance level above "Look at that mutant rescue a kitten from a tree. Lynch him!"

or you make the fear and hatred more believable/mutation more dangerous. imagine if the majority of mutant's "coming of age" always came with some kind of violent flare up. Rogue and Cyclops had pretty frightening first times. it should be more curse than blessing, at least.

Well from the Cap 2 after-credits scene it was implied that Strucker through experimentation on the twins gave them their powers?

or he thought that he had. but it was actually the trauma from the "experimentation" that triggered their mutant powers (why did the other volunteers not survive?); mirroring what happened to their father (in the deathcamps). i remember him straining to move a coin. then his mother was shot right in front of him; causing a freak out.

http://wethenerdy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/magneto.png
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Los3I_Xlbsg/U0RpHNfUpII/AAAAAAAChI0/fvP0x5pavYQ/s1600/witchquick.gif

Ant-maniac has the right idea. This is not something that will ever happen, but if it did, it wouldn't be hard to handle storywise. The hardest thing would be how to justify business-wise making a TV show when movies have shown to be more profitable for the X-Men.

Up to this point, Marvel Studios has been much 'looser' with their own material than any of the other studios making films out of their properties, so an MS X-Men franchise would more than likely similar to The Avengers in tone and scope.

I don't think I would agree Marvel has been "looser." In my opinion they have been much more faithful to the characters than Fox. The only reason I suggest a TV show is that with Marvel already doing 2-3 movies a year it seems almost impossible to do justice to a group as big as the X-men? Maybe I'm wrong. But I would like to see them start with the original 5 and build from there. Of course they would have to retcon the origins to be modern day rather than the 60s. Otherwise Cyclops would be 60.

Also, as a Cyclops fan I would just love to see him and jean done justice. Really, I don't think any character outside of Wolverine as been done justice by Fox. I'm not saying Marvel is perfect but I think they would truer to the decades of character history.

Also, a dangerous mutant would just about handle why some of society would fear them. However, that plot could not be as big since we live in a time when it wouldn't be as true.

I don't think I would agree Marvel has been "looser." In my opinion they have been much more faithful to the characters than Fox.

It's hard to be 'more faithful to the characters' when there exists multiple versions of the characters that are being used.

Marvel Studios has, in a lot of ways, taken just as many, if not more, 'liberties' with the characters and concepts they've used than any of the other studios that have adapted properties which they (Marvel) own, and it strikes me as being incredibly hypocritical to accept said 'liberties' when there's a MARVEL STUDIOS production logo attatched than when there's not.

I find it hard to envision how or why having X-Men in the control of Marvel Studios would make any actual difference.

I guess we just disagree. I don't believe I am accepting liberties taken by Marvel that are character changes because I don't think Marvel is taking them. On this we disagree.

For example in my opinion, Marvel has never handled a main character as bad as Fox handled Cyclops, Rogue, Pheonix, Havok, Gambit, Deadpool, Storm, Sabertooth, beast, or the Fantatic Four.

Yes The MCU isn't a carbon copy of the 616 but it never treated its characters like the way Fox treated the ones I mentioned.

in my opinion, Marvel has never handled a main character as bad as Fox handled Cyclops, Rogue, Pheonix, Havok, Gambit, Deadpool, Storm, Sabertooth, beast, or the Fantatic Four.

This is as subjective as it gets, and deserves the following responses:
1) Things are not wrong just because they are new
2) One man's trash is another man's treasure

The point I'm making has absolutely nothing to do with the relative 'quality' (or lack thereof) of what studios like FOX, Sony, etc. have done in terms of characterizing the characters in the Marvel properties they've produced vs. what Marvel Studios itself has done because that particular issue is completely irrelevant to the question of what a Marvel Studios X-Men franchise might look like in relation to what FOX has done with the property.

I'm fairly certain that, if I were inclined to do so, I could find just as many people who disagree with how Marvel Studios has handled things in its films as who disagree with the way properties like the X-Men, Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, etc. have been handled by studios like FOX, Sony, etc., particularly when it comes to characters, and I find it rather hypocritical that Marvel Studios seems to get a pass for taking just as many, if not more, liberties with the characters and concepts they've used while other studios do not.

I think it is this disingenuous to claim that we are being hypocritical in our acceptance of Marvel. We actually disagree regarding the major character liberties you're claiming Marvel takes. Can you name any major characters they have drastically misrepresented?. I'm not talking minor changes but drastic character reinvention? I genuinely can't think of any by Marvel but can think of loads by Fox.

Plus, it's not entirely subjective like you claim. It either stays faithful to the general arc of the characters history or it doesn't. Nobody is askng for exact carbon copies, just character faithfulness. Captain America captured the essence of his history, as did Thor and Iron Man. X-men didn't do that with any character except wolverine, Magneto, and Charles. The Cyclops the created had nothing to do with the Cyclops of the characters history. That isn't subjective. Their is published proof for 50 years as to who Cyclops is.

^ How is it disingenuous to state that it is hypocritical to accept that Marvel Studios has the creative freedom to make decisions that fully demonstrate exactly what the word ADAPTATION truly means, but that when other properties that are produced by studios other than MS do it, said studios are criticized?

I'm not all that familiar with the comics, but I'm pretty sure that 99.95% percent of what Marvel Studios has done with the MCU is vastly different from what happened in the comics, both in terms of concepts and characterization. The 'spirit' of the comics characterization for the characters may be present, but the same argument could also be made with regards to how the various characters FOX has used for its X-Men franchise so far have been handled (given that the issue of how 'faithful' the characters have been portrayed is entirely subjective).

I'm no Fox hater. They're not the devil, neither are the MCU saints, but the MCU has not given any beloved comic book character so few impressive moments and so limited and inconsequential a character arc as Fox has with Cyclops, Rogue and Colossus. Hawkeye, in his six minutes of screentime, had a more compelling storyline and a clear arc, as well as several extremely cool moves. This is not to say the movies have been all bad. Their Wolverine, Magneto and Xavier are as cool as any MCU character, easily. But while everyon else in the MCU is cool, the supporting X-Men realy don't seem like they mean jack diddly without that core three.

If your not that familiar with the comics then I'm not sure I would be making definitive claims about how well or not a studio is adapting said comics.

Either way I will no longer comment on this issue. That's not why I started the thread. I did so to imagine what the xmen would be like in the MCU.

I really don't care about an "MCU" X-Men. In fact I think they are better separate. But I would love to see a recast of the classic X-Men.

I absolutely love what they did with the recasting of Magneto/Xavier/Mystique. Even though Mckellen/Stewart are also amazing. So I don't see why I wouldnt enjoy the rest.

For whatever reason, I want to see a classic Uncanny X-Men. That's all.

Yeah their recasts so far have been excellent

I think the X-Men are well where they are and being separated, but if they go back to Marvel, i think they should either make a high profile tv show with the original 5 or reboot the film series with a Ultimate inspired take, it should be that big, but not seem cramed or with so much CGI that it makes you numb like what happened to Amazing Spider-Man 2

Would love to see a movie featuring the original teenage 5, no more Wolverine fests please.

It would be logical for people to hate mutants and not regular heroes in the MCU, with Magneto declaring war on Homo sapiens, it would instantly be human vs mutant.
There are plenty of people who hate muslims in general since 9/11, even though only a handful were responsible for that monstrosity

I think the X-Men will eventually revert back to Marvel. It might take 50 years, but Marvel (under Disney) will still be around back then, and one day the superhero well will dry up to the point that even Fox will abandon remaking/rebooting/spinning off X-Men forever. We might send a man to Mars before then, though.

It would be logical for people to hate mutants and not regular heroes in the MCU, with Magneto declaring war on Homo sapiens, it would instantly be human vs mutant.

If the general public doesn't hate mutants, why is Magneto declaring war in the first place?

( I'll answer that for you: "If the general public isn't psychotically hateful, then Magneto *doesn't* declare war in the first place." )

Eventually the X-Men rights will go back to Marvel, but if there's any good thing to come out of the MCU doing X-Men so late in the game, it's that the mutant fear will potentially be integrated better in the universe that way. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to have teams like the Avengers established before the concept of a mutant reaches the public. The Avengers would have a track record of their achievements by then and the public would be more used to them. Plus the idea of anyone being a mutant would have a nice escalation angle after superheroes have already started popping up.

Anti-Mutant Hysteria is actually not that hard to me. If you have a genetic anomaly that causes pre-teens to "accidentally" murder their parents, take over their schools and generally make teenagers that feel invincible actually be invincible, there are enough actual problems involved to make the public legitimately scared of mutants, instead of making it some sort of forced racism. For someone who deals with teens, arming a chunk of them will undoubtedly lead to incredible tragedy and disaster.

You don't even need much. One "Colubmine" and boom, anti-mutant hysteria. You can also play the angle where the government and news media purposely promotes an anti-mutant agenda.

If the general public doesn't hate mutants, why is Magneto declaring war in the first place?

( I'll answer that for you: "If the general public isn't psychotically hateful, then Magneto *doesn't* declare war in the first place." )

Have you ever read a comic? Magneto is insanely egotistic, he wouldn't need humans to hate mutants to declare war, he would declare it because he thinks mutants are better than humans, he thinks mutants are the rightful heirs to the world.

I don't think human beings hated neanderthals, but that didn't stop humans wiping them out, because human beings were the next step in evolution, just as mutants are in the Marvel universe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"