X Men: The Last Stand - My Review

Sorry I'm asking again, but, how exactly does the movie start? There's no cerebro doors closing right? It just starts off with young Xavier etc. ? Does it like, zoom into the R in Marvel or something?

oh, i have some questions PWR.

(1) how were colossus' effects?

(2) did you feel that the fight scenes were good, or were they all really short?

(3) was the finale long enough and satisfying?

(4) from the seven min clip where logan meets beast, logan is wearing the same thing he wears during his lab scene with jean. so have they already found jean at that point? because he's wearing something different when they rescue her at alkali (so why would he change back to what he was wearing earlier). i just thought that was weird and would give me a bad impression of the rushed beginning that you've mentioned.

haha long question, that last one. it's just been bugging me. thanks PWR!

For some of you complaining about the phoenix fire not being added, they still have a few days before it is released worldwide. I believe PWR also said that Mystique didn't have her regular computer sounding voice, but in one of the clips on Yahoo we can hear it. Ergo, most likely some unfinished effects in these screenings.

Don't give up hope yet. :up:

Ok, I Gotta Question...Do They Explain At All Where Kurt Wagner Went? Tell Me They At Least Mention His Departure. I Mean He's There With The X-Men At The End Of X2 Waiving At The President. I Hope They Hint To Where He Went.
-$!X

my dad saw this movie at a press screening a couple days ago (thanks for bringin me eh dad) lol but seriously he saw it for the globe and mail (a newspaper in canada) and said he loved it but he had never seen an x-men movie so i showed him x-men and x2 today and he said and he said x3 was alot better then x1 but wen i showed him x2 he said that it blew x3 away in terms of story but the one thing he said is that x3 was a good conclusion he will be writing a positive review for the paper. anyway i asked him about the movie and he said the begining goes at a fast pace and he cant remember if the cerebro door is in the movie or not but he said it mite be (knowin my dad hes jus givin me false hope =D) yah so anyway he said that the title sequence is not like x2 or x1 but other then that the three movies had the same general feel. he said he wudnt spoil the movie for me cuz he wants it to be a surprise (i already know all the spoilers cuz of shh) but yah anyway i cant get much more out of him but i hope this helps

SIXRAP said:
Ok, I Gotta Question...Do They Explain At All Where Kurt Wagner Went? Tell Me They At Least Mention His Departure. I Mean He's There With The X-Men At The End Of X2 Waiving At The President. I Hope They Hint To Where He Went.
-$!X

after watchin x2 my dad wondered about nightcrawler and he said he has absolutely no part in 3 nor does he get tlked about lol :mad: but if u wana know wat happens play the official game

The problem with the Phoenix effect is....Pyro. He plays a substantial role in the film and there is a lot of fire everywhere when he's fighting. I wonder is using flames for Jeans power wouldn't seem confusing to those not familiar the comics. I would have liked to see it too, and I hope there's somehow a miraculous last minute addition of the fire bird, but if not, I'll understand as long as what's there looks good.

Truth be told, I'm more worried that the film won't adequately establish Jean's power or threat. Is it possible that she does something more impressive than Magneto's moving that 900,000 ton bridge?

EDITED TO ADD: I'm not sure if you can see this pic, but it's a promotional piece from Japan I think. There's a "black phoenix" as part of the X design. Perhaps that's what it looks like.

_XMD-Nav_2.jpg

In response to how Jean can make fire question... If she was possessed by the cosmic entity Phoenix, than generating flames is nothing. But since we're just dealing with a super telepath/telekinetic Jean in X3, it's not really a burning flame but manifested, mental energy.

I remember in some issues of X-men, Jean generated a "Phoenix effect" but it wasn't all flamy, it was this pinkish, energy bird. It was said simply that it was the ultimate manifestation of her mental abilities. It doesn't affect the flesh or burn, but it sends the mind of whoever is on the receiving end into shock.

Spidey 2007 said:
not confirmed yet... even at the press screenings. we have no official word.

But to go from 95 min to 135 is just... impossible.

PhoenixWillRise said:
X-Maniac

1) Did any non-XMen fans you saw the movie with, or knew at the screening, feel in any way cheated by the Cyclops and Xavier deaths, the surprise ending and the running time? Was that an issue for non-fans?
- i went with 1 friend who is a huge X fan. and no, he did not mind that Cyke died, tho he did agree that as it was a Phoenix story they shud had included him more.. Xaviers death was great and powerful so that worked really well! He also agrees with me that the start seemed a bit odd an like a montage of scenes hastily put together and that some charatcers did not have enbough screen time (mainly Angel and Rogue!)

2) Does the brilliant Xavier monologue from the trailer (the part where he goes on about the better and worse angels of our very nature) feature anywhere in the movie? - NO

3) Is Storm's origin (Africa, goddess etc) hinted at or revealed in any of her dialogue scenes? - NO

4) Did you see Psylocke use her 'psi-blades' - the energy knives from her hands? - NO, just her teleport

5) Did Quill seem a worthwhile person to be included - visually or character-wise? - ACtually Yeah.. he was pretty good!!

I thought you said before all Psylocke did was say "They want to exterminate us" in the theatre metting, and throw Warren Sr. off a building but didn't show any of her powers?

Silvershade said:
In response to how Jean can make fire question... If she was possessed by the cosmic entity Phoenix, than generating flames is nothing. But since we're just dealing with a super telepath/telekinetic Jean in X3, it's not really a burning flame but manifested, mental energy.

I remember in some issues of X-men, Jean generated a "Phoenix effect" but it wasn't all flamy, it was this pinkish, energy bird. It was said simply that it was the ultimate manifestation of her mental abilities. It doesn't affect the flesh or burn, but it sends the mind of whoever is on the receiving end into shock.

Jean has also moved oxygen molecules fast enough to create a fiery explosion. Creating fire isn't out of the realm of possibility for a telekinetic as powerful as Jean. Most of the time though, her phoenix effect is just her telekinesis exciting the molecules in the air, and her shaping it to her own psychic signature.

Don't put too much stock in what writers or technical people say. For example: back in 1997, in one of the movie magazines, there was in interview about Jurassic Park 2 effects crews. One of them commented on a major scene involving chameleon t-rexes. The Lost World cereal even had chameleon rex marshmallows. The movie had nothing like that. The rexes were the same as they were in the first movie.

Production people can say anything they want, and when people quote them on it, they just say "oh, the effect wasn't finished, or the scene didn't add to the story, so we cut it."

All I can say is long as it's better than Mortal Kombat Annihilation (Worse... ensemble cast... ever!) I'll be happy.

hulkkitty said:
The problem with the Phoenix effect is....Pyro. He plays a substantial role in the film and there is a lot of fire everywhere when he's fighting. I wonder is using flames for Jeans power wouldn't seem confusing to those not familiar the comics. I would have liked to see it too, and I hope there's somehow a miraculous last minute addition of the fire bird, but if not, I'll understand as long as what's there looks good.

True . . . but it was used at the end of X2, and it seemed to work fine. I mean, I don't think anyone thought Pyro saved the day at the end of X2 . . . and if Jean doesn't actually use her power to burn things, maybe it won't be too much of a problem. Who knows?

hulkkitty said:
Truth be told, I'm more worried that the film won't adequately establish Jean's power or threat. Is it possible that she does something more impressive than Magneto's moving that 900,000 ton bridge?
Interesting observation . . . that could be very true, especially if you are a non-comic book fan--it will be interesting to see the actual scale of her destruction in so far as "epicness" (I hate that word) when compared to others, like the bridge scene you mentioned.

FOR PWR OR ANYONE ELSE THAT HAS SEEN IT OR KNOWS ALL THE SPOILERS

OK, so i didn't want to get spoiled but thanks to people casually mentioning stuff everywhere, and the fact that the temptation is a *****, i found out about alot of things. Below is a list of all the things i know, don't tell me if i'm right or wrong, but instead PLEASE TELL ME IF THERE ARE ANY OTHER MAJOR SPOILERS THAT I DON'T KNOW ABOUT. I want to know if i know it all yet or if there is still gonna be some surprise for me...

LOGAN STABS JEAN (don't know if she dies)
CYKE AND PROF X DIE
ROGUE AND MYSTIQUE TAKE THE CURE
MAGNETO DITCHES ROGUE
MAGNETO GETS SHOT WITH THE CURE NEEDLES
CALLISTO AND PSYLOCKE GET EITHER KILLED OR BEAT BADLY!

Do I know mostly everything, or are there still some major spoilers that will surprise me later??????

ANYONE WHO HAS SEEN THIS OR KNOWS ALL THE SPOILERS,PLEASE ANSWER!!!

Phoenix will rise isnt very bright, if he says the movie lasts 93 minutes, when it clearly says on the poster promoting the screening that he also posted that it is approx 2 hours... that is a good half hour more than he said...

Why dont people pay attention to detail?

Does Magneto express any sadness/remorse about Xavier's death?

Wolvieboy17 said:
Phoenix will rise isnt very bright, if he says the movie lasts 93 minutes, when it clearly says on the poster promoting the screening that he also posted that it is approx 2 hours... that is a good half hour more than he said...

Why dont people pay attention to detail?

Phoenix is actually QUITE bright, it's you who can't read. PWR has stated that the listed time was for the whole junket he/she/it attended. The movie started 1/2 hr after arriving, and lasted 93 minutes... therefore, approximately 2hrs.

Just saw the movie again, and took notice of the credits, Ken Leung, is credited as being KID OMEGA (not Quills!)

Also, things have not changed one bit from the original screening I saw two weeks ago..
No Storm tidal wave
No Juggs -v- Colossus
Scott still dies and stays dead.. same with Jean
The after credits scene is the same (with Prof in the new body)
Rogue still takes the cure
No phoenix flame
No seeing Jean actually rise from the water

Nothing new at all, so the press screening was 100% complete!...

hulkkitty said:

EDITED TO ADD: I'm not sure if you can see this pic, but it's a promotional piece from Japan I think. There's a "black phoenix" as part of the X design. Perhaps that's what it looks like.

_XMD-Nav_2.jpg

those wings are supposed to be angels, i've seen that preview and its definitely him

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"