• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

X3's ending vs. Superman Return's

ntcrawler said:
Yeah? See, this is what Magneto is counting on. The classic "homo sapiens and their guns" mentality. And guess what' they'd do squat against Magneto. This man if at his prime during WWII would have no problem taking on the Wehrmacht and winning. Weapons made of metal (which are essentially all weapons except for baseball bats and napalm) would be rendered not only useless against Magneto but dangerous to those who wield them. Like others said, only the X-men truly appreciated the threat and had the means necessary to take this guy down.

All the more reason to call in a warning! Wouldn't it be nice to let the law enforcement people know that a man who is able to take down all of your weapons is coming to raise all sorts of hell during their summit??

He'd just done it at the train station the night (?) before...they'd probably take a warning like that seriously since it had already happened.

danoyse said:
If he had contacts in high places, why did the President authorize Stryker to infiltrate the school?

Because, the President wasn't one of Xavier's allies or friends. and Stryker twisted the facts to his own advantage.

If you call in a bomb threat, they clear the building...no matter how serious the call sounds.
Don't you think with a summitt that big they'd get dozens of calls? Don't you think the President gets hundreds of death threats? Law enforcement has to be able to sort through these and determine which are real and tangible from the pranks.

And regarding that Ellis Island summit, just what kind of phoned in threat do you have to make to get eveyore to evacuate and run like hell??? Best I could think of is Storm flying over there and summoning some killer lightning while laughing maniacally. "Run you little sheep, RUN!!!"

I saw the movie with a friend whose brother is an NYPD cop. She thought it was hilarious.

What does that have to do with anything?

danoyse said:
All the more reason to call in a warning! Wouldn't it be nice to let the law enforcement people know that a man who is able to take down all of your weapons is coming to raise all sorts of hell during their summit??

Of course. then they'd tell you to stop nipping at the cooking sherry and that prank calls like this to law enforcement are a felony, then [click]. Like that scene in the Final Countdown where they tried to contact Pearl Harbor by radio and warn them of the impending Japanese attack.

He'd just done it at the train station the night (?) before...they'd probably take a warning like that seriously since it had already happened.

Do you realize how slow the beaurocracy moves sometimes? How many other phone calls and levels a message like this needs to travel through? Are they really gonna cause mass panic and interrupt the conference because of a single call or on a whim? Whoever goofs that would end up crucified. You'd need more tangible evidence, and the X-men at that point didn't have any. Plus this is a pre 9/11 world, they weren't quite as well mobilized or paranoid as they would be today.

ntcrawler said:
Because, the President wasn't one of Xavier's allies or friends. and Stryker twisted the facts to his own advantage.

Then how was he allowed to visit Magneto in prison? Styker told Kelly/Mystique that "It's not a petting zoo," when she tried to set up a visit. He certainly had friends in high enough places.

Don't you think with a summitt that big they'd get dozens of calls? Don't you think the President gets hundreds of death threats? Law enforcement has to be able to sort through these and determine which are real and tangible from the pranks.

And regarding that Ellis Island summit, just what kind of phoned in threat do you have to make to get eveyore to evacuate and run like hell??? Best I could think of is Storm flying over there and summoning some killer lightning while laughing maniacally. "Run you little sheep, RUN!!!"

How about telling them that guy whose people invaded a local train station, kidnapped a kid, destroyed some police cars, turned the cops' guns on themselves, and left in a GOVERNMENT helicopter was planning an attack on the UN summit??

Again, it goes back to the bomb threat theory...they clear the building, regardless of what it sounds like.

What does that have to do with anything?

That she knew security would be a little better than what you saw in the movie. And we loved the movie. :up:

ntcrawler said:
Of course. then they'd tell you to stop nipping at the cooking sherry and that prank calls like this to law enforcement are a felony, then [click]. Like that scene in the Final Countdown where they tried to contact Pearl Harbor by radio and warn them of the impending Japanese attack.

Not if a similar attack had happened the night before.

Do you realize how slow the beaurocracy moves sometimes? How many other phone calls and levels a message like this needs to travel through? Are they really gonna cause mass panic and interrupt the conference because of a single call or on a whim? Whoever goofs that would end up crucified. You'd need more tangible evidence, and the X-men at that point didn't have any. Plus this is a pre 9/11 world, they weren't quite as well mobilized or paranoid as they would be today.

Well, they're not going to run around screaming that everyone is going to die.

You keep mentioning 9/11. I was in NY on 9/11, and that day and the weeks that followed were handled amazingly well. I was in midtown for most the day...everyone was in shock, but there was no mass chaos like you see in a disaster movie. There were tons of bomb threats in the weeks that followed, I used to see the Empire State Building cleared out on a regular basis...and it was scary, but still...they're trained to handle a threat situation without causing a major panic.

I don't see Xavier calling 911 like a raving lunatic...just a properly placed call, with enough info about the previous attack to be a serious warning. It's perfectly logical.

danoyse said:
Then how was he allowed to visit Magneto in prison? Styker told Kelly/Mystique that "It's not a petting zoo," when she tried to set up a visit. He certainly had friends in high enough places.

Because Xavier could have friends in law enforcement like the FBI and some connections with the Senate. but obviously not with the President, who due to his ignorance authorized Stryker's attack.

How about telling them that guy whose people invaded a local train station, kidnapped a kid, destroyed some police cars, turned the cops' guns on themselves, and left in a GOVERNMENT helicopter was planning an attack on the UN summit??

You make it sound like a scene from Die Hard 2. McClane made similar claims about the terrorists that took over Dulles Airport. And he turned out to be right. But did anyone believe him? Nope. And he even had tangible, physical evidenc. He pretty much had to take matters into his own hands like the X-Men did, and work around law enforcement to get the job done.

Again, it goes back to the bomb threat theory...they clear the building, regardless of what it sounds like.
Again, if it's a high level operation like the white house, how many pranks do they have to go through before they can figure out which threats are tangible? A summit that big, again would get dozens of phone calls from every freaking radical group in the world. Heck, that happens in today's society. They have to balance security with paranoia. Otherwise the safest thing to do is cancel the event in the first place.

That she knew security would be a little better than what you saw in the movie. And we loved the movie. :up:

Haha I meant if you went in and saw the movie with her law enforcement brother, you could probably get a few more details and nitpicks

You make it sound like a scene from Die Hard 2. McClane made similar claims about the terrorists that took over Dulles Airport. And he turned out to be right. But did anyone believe him? Nope. And he even had tangible, physical evidenc. He pretty much had to take matters into his own hands like the X-Men did, and work around law enforcement to get the job done.

But if he hadn't, people would be complaining..."Why didn't he tell the people at the airport about the terrorists?"

Again, if it's a high level operation like the white house, how many pranks do they have to go through before they can figure out which threats are tangible? A summit that big, again would get dozens of phone calls from every freaking radical group in the world. Heck, that happens in today's society. They have to balance security with paranoia. Otherwise the safest thing to do is cancel the event in the first place.

Again, it's a valid threat if it's about the same person who attacked the night before.

Haha I meant if you went in and saw the movie with her law enforcement brother, you could probably get a few more details and nitpicks

Yep...it's like ID4. My friend who's a physics major went on about how the Earth's gravity wouldn't have withstood the spaceships' arrival. I said, "So I guess you didn't like it?" She said, "Are you kidding? I've seen it 3 times." :)

danoyse said:
Not if a similar attack had happened the night before.

You honestly think that would work? It wasn't necessarily a similar attack either. Magneto ripped apart a train and kidnap someone. To suggest he potentially wants to kill all the world's leaders next is quite a major step. Plus this is a world where mutants are feared but more or less well known. There could be countless examples of people causing acts of terror or mayhem by showing off their powers in public.

Well, they're not going to run around screaming that everyone is going to die.
How fast do you think they could evacuate everyone from that summit anyways? I doubt it'd be fast enough to spoil Magneto's plan by the time they got the message. Or even if it would be far enough away.

You keep mentioning 9/11. I was in NY on 9/11, and that day and the weeks that followed were handled amazingly well. I was in midtown for most the day...everyone was in shock, but there was no mass chaos like you see in a disaster movie.
Yes, I agree. But X1 was made in and took place in a pre 9/11 world, so the powers who wrote the script weren't away of security measures that tight or efficient. Certainly NYC in 2000 wasn't at that level.

There were tons of bomb threats in the weeks that followed, I used to see the Empire State Building cleared out on a regular basis...and it was scary, but still...they're trained to handle a threat situation without causing a major panic.
I agree. But you don't evacuate the White House or Congress or the UN building like that on a regular basis. They have to be able to separate the fake threats from the real ones.
I don't see Xavier calling 911 like a raving lunatic...just a properly placed call, with enough info about the previous attack to be a serious warning. It's perfectly logical.
[/QUOTE]

It is. I'm just wondering what he could possibly say that would sound credible. Unless he visited the President in person. Plus I think it was their intention not to disrupt the summit, to not give into the paranoia and stop important events. And even if they did notify the right people, I doubt they'd just kick back on the couch and watch live helicopter coverage of law enforcement's attempts to stop Magneto. They'd go there anyways knowing full well that those silly homo sapiens and their guns couldn't possibly stop Magneto.

Oh hey, Danoyse I just rewatched X1 and realized something else. Even if they managed to evacuate Ellis Island in time it wouldn't make any difference. During the team briefing the X-men realize that Magneto's machine was going to have enough power to envelope the entire city. There's no way you can evacuate NYC in a few hours. At that point, they would have had no choice but to go in themselves and take on Magneto anyways.

And Jean's reaction to Magneto's giant glowing bubble enveloping everyone looks to be similar to how Senator Kelly reacted when it hit him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stryderzer0
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"