Xbox Xbox Series X Thread

Walmart makes another mess. They announce they are putting up the console at 9pm. Their website crashes at 9pm. All the consoles are sold out by 9:01 pm.

At this point its looking like I've got a better chance of stealing one of these ****ing things than actually buying one.

We may not give into the scalpers. But there are obviously just enough people who do to make it worthwhile for the scalpers. Hence why the practice still exists.

But I agree. We end up losing out because of it.

Retailers could at the very least limit 1 console per customer.

Walmart makes another mess. They announce they are putting up the console at 9pm. Their website crashes at 9pm. All the consoles are sold out by 9:01 pm.

At this point its looking like I've got a better chance of stealing one of these ****ing things than actually buying one.
It’s going to be very hard or luck-reliant going up against the bots too.

Not surprising. I've been expecting something like this for some time now. If not a ubiquitous app on tvs and other smart devices, then at least some kind of streaming stick like a Roku or Fire device.

Whether or not this will fully replace the Xbox console remains to be seen. Probably not in the short term. However, this does feel like the inevitable "endgame" for MS/Xbox given the recent direction they've been moving towards in the last several years.

And frankly, this is one reason why a part of me still remains hesitant to invest in Xbox as a console (by purchasing the Series X). I just don't have a high degree of confidence that Xbox will be around as a dedicated console in the traditional sense over the long term.

It wouldn't surprise me if, 4 or 5 years from now, with Gamepass and XCloud streaming taking off and Series X console sales lagging behind PS5 for another generation, that MS exits the console space and focuses on being a game publisher (with all of its studios) to produce content for their Xbox streaming app/stick as well as other platforms.
The minute they cancel Xbox they will permanently lose millions of existing, loyal, long term game pass subscribers, many of who won’t want to use a TV app and cloud streaming, and could go to PS and Switch. They’ve said before they want to exist in as many spaces as possible to maximise the potential number of subscriptions. In the West, consoles are culturally ingrained and way too popular for them to ignore that market, plus as Sony and Nintendo have proved, there is still money to be made directly from console sales.

So the TV app will be something they will definitely want to do, but I believe in addition to everything else rather than shutting any path to subscriptions down. All of the exiting console strategy talk came before the new CEO changed from questioning the need for a Xbox division to fully backing it (mainly due to the potential of game pass) and promoting its importance to the company as a whole (and Phil Spencer to a much more important exec), and also finally freeing up the acquisitions war chest.

Retailers could at the very least limit 1 console per customer.
I thought they already had that restriction? I could've sworn I've seen messages on these sites limiting one console per customer. Maybe that's only if you directly order from MS or Sony?

The minute they cancel Xbox they will permanently lose millions of existing, loyal, long term game pass subscribers, many of who won’t want to use a TV app and cloud streaming, and could go to PS and Switch. They’ve said before they want to exist in as many spaces as possible to maximise the potential number of subscriptions. In the West, consoles are culturally ingrained and way too popular for them to ignore that market, plus as Sony and Nintendo have proved, there is still money to be made directly from console sales.

So the TV app will be something they will definitely want to do, but I believe in addition to everything else rather than shutting any path to subscriptions down. All of the exiting console strategy talk came before the new CEO changed from questioning the need for a Xbox division to fully backing it (mainly due to the potential of game pass) and promoting its importance to the company as a whole (and Phil Spencer to a much more important exec), and also finally freeing up the acquisitions war chest.
Good points.

Again, I'm not saying this will happen. However, the paranoid pessimist in me just has this feeling that it could happen. So, if it does, I wouldn't be surprised.

I think the future of the Xbox console will depend on largely on how well the Series X/S consoles sell, or how much they underperform the PS5.

I know MS has stopped publicly releasing sales, and they say they aren't really interested in sales as a metric. But you can bet they are tracking that internally. If this new gen is a repeat of last gen, and PS5 outsells Series X/S by a wide margin, while the streaming/subscription side of things does well with Gamepass and Xcloud and a TV app I guess, then I could envision a scenario where MS decides to pull the plug on the traditional console unit and just focus on the more lucrative streaming/subscription side. Including an Xbox streaming stick device.

Of course, with the direction of technology, the future of all consoles could take the form of a mini streaming stick/device or some kind of streaming cloud service. I wouldn't be surprised if that comes to pass either.

Sounds like business as usual. :(

Realistically, how could the average consumer be able to order the item? And what good does it do to "conveniently" announce the date and time when orders will go live when your site crashes immediately and you are sold out the next minute?

I hope you'll have luck at some point getting a Series X.

Sounds like State of Decay will be more impressive this time around.

Microsoft has definitely been better under Nadella and not just on the gaming side.

So, a question for those of you lucky enough to own a Series X......lol.

Does the Series X enable "auto-HDR" on everything, including all Xbox One and BC games?

I know that MS has talked about adding HDR to older BC games that were not designed with HDR. However, that seemed to be on a game-by-game basis.

On the PS5, though, HDR is always enabled, even on all BC PS4 games, including games that did not support HDR originally. That is one of the features I'm enjoying most on the PS5, because it is breathing new life into my PS4 games. Especially ones that are colorful and flashy, like Persona 5 and Diablo III. The colors and details just pop a bit more now that they run in HDR and I'm finding myself noticing stuff I hadn't noticed before.

I was just wondering if the Series X did something similar to ALL BC games.

So, a question for those of you lucky enough to own a Series X......lol.

Does the Series X enable "auto-HDR" on everything, including all Xbox One and BC games?

I know that MS has talked about adding HDR to older BC games that were not designed with HDR. However, that seemed to be on a game-by-game basis.

On the PS5, though, HDR is always enabled, even on all BC PS4 games, including games that did not support HDR originally. That is one of the features I'm enjoying most on the PS5, because it is breathing new life into my PS4 games. Especially ones that are colorful and flashy, like Persona 5 and Diablo III. The colors and details just pop a bit more now that they run in HDR and I'm finding myself noticing stuff I hadn't noticed before.

I was just wondering if the Series X did something similar to ALL BC games.

Well I've noticed STO didn't have HDR on One X but it does on Series X. I don't remember if AC: Odyssey did but it does on Series X.

(1) Klobrille (@klobrille) / Twitter

Eoh5-mZXcAAKda7

I didn't expect Fable to be getting so many more votes than Starfield in the XGS WRPG war!

Wait they're gonna resurrect Fable?

Wait they're gonna resurrect Fable?
Yeah, Playground Games are making it. There was a cinematic only trailer and it’s probably a fair while off.

The new Gears campaign DLC will be free on game pass. Great sign if future first party DLC gets included with game pass like this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"