The Dark Knight Rises You Have My Permission To Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.
but hey, it's Batman!
AdcyJoL.gif

Why even call them DC Comics? just rename it to Batman Comics.

^ Well, the "DC" does actually stand for Detective Comics, so they're pretty close as it is. :p

I can trust Snyder on Batman... not necessarily on anything else. It's no surprise that he wanted Batman as quick as possible after MoS.
Agreed. Batman looks exciting. Unfortunately Cavill-man is still a cardboard cutout.

I can trust Snyder on Batman... not necessarily on anything else. It's no surprise that he wanted Batman as quick as possible after MoS.

Correction - the studio wanted Batman as quick as possible after MOS.

But honestly, I'm just hoping Ben is good as Batman and if the rest of the film is garbage hopefully they can give him the keys to pilot this thing properly. And if I'm being even more honest; It would be great if BvS was a huge mess and Batfleck is the only shining example of justice done to these characters, just to get Snyder out of the director's seat. Harsh, but I really don't like the guy as a director.

I used to be a big fan and I guess defender of Zack Snyder during the 300 and Watchmen days. Can't say I am anymore after Sucker Punch. Honestly His last good film was that cgi owl movie.

But honestly, I'm just hoping Ben is good as Batman and if the rest of the film is garbage hopefully they can give him the keys to pilot this thing properly. And if I'm being even more honest; It would be great if BvS was a huge mess and Batfleck is the only shining example of justice done to these characters, just to get Snyder out of the director's seat. Harsh, but I really don't like the guy as a director.
Yeah i know it sounds harsh but i don't care if that happens either. If Snyder ****s up, so be it. Ill take more Batman's please!

They're shooting Justice League in April though, so im assuming it's all about the reception of JL and of course BvS and then they'll make their decision. No way BvS does poorly in the box office or gets worse reviews than MoS. I cant see it. Less than what their greedy asses want? Possibly. Justice League is the movie they have to be worried about because this is the first time Supes and Bats are clashing, with new versions of Batman/Alfred, a new Luthor. Come on. It wont flop. But after that? Wonder Woman and Justice League could be terrible and then what do they do? Batman baby!

WB was definitely scrambling to come up with a plan to get to a Justice League movie post TDKR (see: the aborted Will Beall script), but technically the whole BvS movie was Snyder's pitch. They were in meetings for MOS 2, thinking of possible antagonists and Snyder put Batman on the table. He said once that genie was out of the bottle there was no putting in back in.

They weren't "scrambling", they were trying to make a JL movie while Nolan was still making Batman movies. In fact, he was the one who helped shut it down. Which was well before The Avengers or anything like that. If anything, Nolan helped set back a DC team up movie.

But, of course, he's perfect, so it is what it is....

Well, yeah that's all kind of what I meant. They had been trying to make a Justice League movie for a while but kept doing it in all the wrong ways. IE- greenlighting Miller's JL while another cinematic Batman was already in progress, commissioning scripts before their Superman reboot had launched. They've always wanted a JL movie but have just been clueless about how to get there and were ending up with aborted projects.

My point was actually to give Snyder credit, as he's really the one who presented a viable path to a JL movie through BvS.

And yes, Nolan did set back a teamup film by doing a stand alone trilogy (the first complete Batman trilogy to date) . He also made the studio billions of dollars in the process, so...

Last edited:
At the time and even still, though, I agreed with Nolan on that and I'm glad JL: Mortal was never made.

It just wasn't the right time. Yes, cancelling it is part of what wound up setting back DC's chances of a shared universe several years (among other things like GL bombing), giving the MCU a serious head-start, but I much prefer the way that DC is handling their Justice League heroes and shared universe now. George Miller is the man and the script for JLM isn't bad at all, but I did not like the people he cast for the film. Also, the fact that they were actually considering shooting that JL movie completely in motion capture (back in 2007 after "Beowulf") at one point is so absurd to me.

Well, yeah that's all kind of what I meant. They had been trying to make a Justice League movie for a while but kept doing it in all the wrong ways. IE- greenlighting Miller's JL while another cinematic Batman was already in progress, commissioning scripts before their Superman reboot had launched. They've always wanted a JL movie but have just been clueless about how to get there and were ending up with aborted projects.

My point was actually to give Snyder credit, as he's really the one who presented a viable path to a JL movie through BvS.

And yes, Nolan did set back a teamup film by doing a stand alone trilogy (the first complete Batman trilogy to date) . He also made the studio billions of dollars in the process, so...
It still goes against your notion of "scrambling", as the foundations were always there. They just found an opportune time to do it. What's wrong with that? If you're a DC fan at all, and I'm skeptical if you truly are(I think you're more of a Nolan fan), than what's wrong with that?

Definitely bad timing for JL:Mortal being talked about back then. There is no way they could have had two Batman's, or Batmen, on film at the same time, lol.

I still think it's a shame we'll never see JL:Mortal, it was a void script. I'd have taken it over the Dark Knight Rises anyway. But I would t want to lose Man of Steel and now BvS so I guess things worked out as they should. Be great if they did it as an animated project.

Wasn't Justice League: Mortal the one where Maxwell Lord turned people into robots using nanobots hidden in fast food burgers? Yeah...really wish we got that... :o

It's like you guys are purposefully trying to avoid the discussion. Should I put a sarcastic emoticon to try and make my point more "poignant"?

Wasn't Justice League: Mortal the one where Maxwell Lord turned people into robots using nanobots hidden in fast food burgers? Yeah...really wish we got that... :o

But most things can sound silly when you put it like that :oldrazz:

I read the script and I really liked it.

Yep. Jay Baruchel's Maxwell Lord to be exact. :dry: I will never be sad we didn't get that movie.

They weren't "scrambling", they were trying to make a JL movie while Nolan was still making Batman movies. In fact, he was the one who helped shut it down. Which was well before The Avengers or anything like that. If anything, Nolan helped set back a DC team up movie.

Nolan isn't perfect. He chose Snyder to direct Superman after all.

It still goes against your notion of "scrambling", as the foundations were always there. They just found an opportune time to do it. What's wrong with that? If you're a DC fan at all, and I'm skeptical if you truly are(I think you're more of a Nolan fan), than what's wrong with that?

I feel you may be reading a bit too much into the word "scrambling". I just meant it in the sense that they wanted it to happen, didn't really have a solid plan to make it happen and were throwing stuff at the wall that didn't stick. Maybe "struggling" would have been a better word. This was something that had happened on an individual basis with Batman and Superman at the studio too, so it's nothing new. Again, my point wasn't to be all like "WB has no plan, this is rushed!", the point of my post was to give Snyder some credit for coming up with the plan because JackWhite was under the assumption that BvS was all a studio idea (like many originally assumed), when it has since come to light that it was really Snyder's pitch. We all know WB has been pretty clueless when it comes to DC properties in the past when a filmmaker isn't leading the way, so I'm not sure what you're trying to argue here. There's nothing wrong with WB's position on the matter, obviously they were sitting on a huge IP and wanted to figure out how to maximize that. Thing is they're a very filmmaker driven studio. They seem to do better when they hire visionary filmmakers (which I am including Snyder under), let them do their thing and lead the way. When they start trying to handle this superhero stuff on an executive level it tends to either fizzle out or crash and burn.

As for me, I'm a solo Batman fan, and I guess a casual Superman fan over being a "DC" fan. I didn't grow up reading WW, GL, Flash, Aquaman, etc. I grew up on the Burton/Schumacher Batman films, Adam West series, the Timmverse, as well as Lois & Clark and the Donner Superman films (as well as the X-Men and Spidey animated series if you want to include Marvel). Didn't start reading comics until my teens, and at that point it was mostly Spider-Man and Batman books. I see nothing wrong with just liking certain characters rather than devoting a sworn allegiance to an entire brand. I'm also aware think these characters are only ever as good as the writer/artist/filmmaker that's working on them. Luckily Batman has attracted some of the best talent in every media. I guess you could vaguely say I'm a DC fan, as I do in theory like the angle of their characters being more god-like figures we can look up to, but I'd be a poser if I acted like I've been reading every DC book all my life.

Justice League Batman isn't something I've personally been dying to see, but I'd love to see the studio get this right because it could be something fresh and interesting. Unfortunately I have a tough time fully trusting Snyder, but his take on Batman seems great, and then there's Suicide Squad which looks amazing.

Last edited:

Nolan shut down the George Miller movie during the TDK era. Batlobster was talking about the one after Rises. Yes, they were scrambling to get a Justice League out there with Will Beall writing the script. It failed because it sucked.

And thank God Nolan shut that version down at the time. Great designs, but the casting is the worst casting anybody could think of. And i remember the concept being cheesy.

The foundation wasn't there already going into the Beall script. It was a whole new version. That's like saying any Batman movie no matter the universe, cast or director is all linked and has a foundation. Basically like saying Batman Begins/Year One had a foundation because Batman: Triumphant was a discussion beforehand.

They wouldn't have given it a second thought after Nolan's successful trilogy if it wasn't for the success of Avengers. Suddenly they were scrambling to make a JL movie right away. They were rushing it, about to do a Justice League movie without establishing any of the leagues characters.

Really? I hope you're joking cuz that's an awesome joke. That over Rises? Riiiiight.

Yep. Jay Baruchel's Maxwell Lord to be exact. :dry: I will never be sad we didn't get that movie.
I had no idea! I can't stand Barushel's voice and acting. He's only tolerable in This Is The End because of his co-stars and the fact that he's playing his whiny self.

She put that after writing "ya i wish we got that". Most comic book movies have the most ******ed **** imaginable so how would i know lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"