Young Avengers team...who gets on it?

Tg11

Superhero
Reaction score
If you have a Young Avengers team, who should be a part of it?

I mean if you watched The Marvels it more or less teased it with Kamala acting like Nick Fury recruiting Kate Bishop similar to how Fury recruited Tony back in the day by showing up at his house when he wasn't there and then surprising him by coming out of the shadows

Kamala/Ms Marvel and Kate Bishop/Hawkeye are givens to be on the team but who else should join?

Riri Williams/Ironheart most likely since she was in Wakanda Forever

America Chavez who was in Multiverse of Madness she most likely makes the team

Skaar, Bruce Banner's son is a given

Cassie Lang, Scott's daughter she's pretty much a given

Miles Morales probably if you hand off the Spidey mantle

Love...Gorr's daughter and Thor's adopted daughter of sorts she gets on the team most likely

Okay, so if we go over all the possibilities, let's first look at who is a member in the comics and what their status is for the MCU:

• Iron Lad (Nathaniel Richards): We have seen a child Nathaniel Richards variant who would become Victor Timely in Loki (portrayed by Nasri Thompson), but no indication that Iron Lad is ever coming.
  • Patriot (Eli Bradley): We have seen Eli in tFatWS (portrayed by Elijah Richardson), but no indication of powers yet
  • Hulkling (Dorrek VIII/Teddy Altman): No real indication that he will show up anywhere yet, though there have been scoopers who claimed he has already appeared somewhere.
  • Wiccan (Billy Kaplan): We have seen a young Billy Maximoff as both a magical construct (WandaVision) and alternate universe version (MoM) portrayed by Julian Hilliard. Everything is pointing to a fully formed Billy Kaplan with presumed magical abilities appearing in the Agatha show (portrayed by Joe Locke)
  • Hawkeye (Kate Bishop): Has already been a main character in Hawkeye and is pretty much confirmed for the Young Avengers (portrayed by Haley Steinfeld).
  • Stature (Cassie Lang): Has already appeared in the Ant-Man franchise and as of Quantumania has her powers (portrayed by Kathryn Newton)
  • Vision (Jonas): No indication that he will show up anywhere.
  • Speed (Tommy Shepherd): We have seen a young Tommy Maximoff as both a magical construct (WandaVision) and alternate universe version (MoM) portrayed by Jett Klyne. So far no indication that Tommy Shepherd will show up anywhere, but the existence of Tommy Kaplan indicates Tommy likely does exist as well somewhere.
  • Miss America (America Chavez): America has been a major character in Multiverse of Madness (portrayed by Xochitl Gomez).
  • Kid Loki (Loki Laufeysson): A version of kid Loki has appeared in Loki season 1 and currently exists within the Void (portrayed by Jack Veal). There has been no indication that kid Loki will leave the Void so far.
  • Marvel Boy (Noh-Varr): No indication that he will show up anywhere.
  • Prodigy (David Alleyne): No indication that he will show up anywhwere
I think the ones in green are pretty much given since they'll all have been firmly established and had a major role in a movie or show beforehand. I think the team really needs Teddy though, and I hope they don't just cut him out or replace him with someone like Skaar.

Then there's some other candidates in the MCU who weren't on the team in the comics:

• Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan): Has had her own show and appeared in a movie. Basically confirmed for Young Avengers
  • Ironheart (Riri Williams): Has had an appearance in a movie and will get her own show. No indication for future teamups
  • Skaar: Has had one minor appearance in a show. No indication for any future plans.
  • Love: Has had one minor appearance in a movie. No indication for any future plans.
I think Love is the least likely out of these. She's not a beloved character from the comics (as far as we know) and the actress is far younger than any of the others. I'm personally not a fan of having Skaar on either, since this isn't the type of story I'd like to see Skaar in and I would hate for Teddy to be replaced. Riri is possible, since she was also on the Champions team of young heroes with Kamala in the comics. In my mind she felt a bit too old, but I guess she isn't actually any older than Kate.

The ages do feel a bit odd regardless to me. The age difference between Xochitl Gomez and Haley Steinfeld is a full decade. And while we don't know exactly how old America Chavez is in-universe, there is at least a difference of 7 years between Kamala Khan and Kate Bishop. So we'll have characters still in high school together with characters who will statistically graduate college soon.

I don't think they'll have Miles Morales involved, because he's not been set up yet and the Sony deal might complicate things for him.

If I had to make a Young Avengers project right now with the current state of the MCU, the line-up would probably be

- Kate Bishop
- Kamala Khan
- Cassie Lang
- Billy Kaplan
- America Chavez
- Teddy Altman (find a way to introduce him)

My assumption at this point is the team is:

Ms. Marvel
Hawkeye
Wickan
Speed
(Presumably Hulkling)
Ironheart
Stature
Patriot

It seems logical and fitting to have Iron Lad, but I'm not sure what to do with Riri in that scenario. It's already eight characters. I could see not having Hulkling for a first one and maybe having Riri come in later if, for example, Iron Lad turns out to be a bad guy (but that would be a disappointing change to the character). I'm also assuming the next Captain America movie will set up Patriot since he's not a character yet.

My assumption at this point is the team is:

Ms. Marvel
Hawkeye
Wickan
Speed
(Presumably Hulkling)
Ironheart
Stature
Patriot

It seems logical and fitting to have Iron Lad, but I'm not sure what to do with Riri in that scenario. It's already eight characters. I could see not having Hulkling for a first one and maybe having Riri come in later if, for example, Iron Lad turns out to be a bad guy (but that would be a disappointing change to the character). I'm also assuming the next Captain America movie will set up Patriot since he's not a character yet.
I'd swap out Patriot for America Chavez and Hulking for Skaar but this would be my guess as well.

I'd swap out Patriot for America Chavez and Hulking for Skaar but this would be my guess as well.
Ooh, good points. They are starting the process of establishing Patriot, but there are a surprising amount of potential Young Avengers.

If Wiccan, Speed, and Hulkling aren't on it Marvel will righteously get called out for straight washing the team as they are two of its most prominent members in the comics. They will also rightfully get called out if Hulkling isn't as they would only be doing so as to minimize actually showing queer characters. This is all to say, the MCU better not mess this up.

If Wiccan, Speed, and Hulkling aren't on it Marvel will righteously get called out for straight washing the team as they are two of its most prominent members in the comics. They will also rightfully get called out if Hulkling isn't as they would only be doing so as to minimize actually showing queer characters. This is all to say, the MCU better not mess this up.
Wiccan is for sure going to be on the team. It seems like he'll have a big role in Agatha.
I expect Speed to not be on it initially. He only joined later on in the comics too.

Hulkling is the one I'm worried about. We haven't really seen any set up for him, and many people (a lot of whom probably have not read Young Avengers) are saying "just replace him with Skaar". His comics origin will be hard to pull off in the current state of the MCU as well, so I wonder how they'll do it.

But you are right, if they do not have Billy and Teddy as a couple they will get called out for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"