You're The Producer Of The Superman Reboot

Excel

O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay
Reaction score
Everybody seems to have a take on everything-casting, directing, look. how to make the film successful, what the movie should be about, ect. This is kind of those all in one. Imagine you are the Producer of the next Superman film, and you are starting from scratch. Like recent successful reboots, this is going to revitalize and invent Superman for a new audience while aiming to keep it the same classic character thats been very popular for nearly 75 years. This is the culmination of all the little things weve talked about into creating the big picture. You have 2 tasks:

1st and foremost, to make a quality film that both average moviegoers and the die hard fans will enjoy. This is where the film makers and actors come into play; sets, costumes, look, ect.

2nd, you need to worry about how much money your going to spend as well as much money your going to make. How to get the most bang for buck. It wouldnt be logical to cast Tom Hanks as Jor-el along with Johnny Depp as Luthor with Spielberg directing; not only is it totally impossible but much too expensive. This goes covers everything from marketing to release; spinning stories so the buzz is as good as it is big, ect.

Take us through step by step of how you would do it. How would you make the greatest Superman film ever, and how would you make financially successful? The entire idea is aimed at making audiences forget about Superman Returns, much like BB did to B&R, CR to DAD, ect.

Ill start mine here; I wont do everything at once because that would just make it boring; Ill do the 1st 3 big announcements now, in the order I would have the come, with a time frame/date. Just to spice it up a bit and make this a bit different than the standard "Your in charge thread", when I announce my picks, Ill do 2 things: Write as if your reading it as an announcement on say, the Hype! Mainpage, and than offer a 2nd paragraph offering insight into my decision.

Warner Bros. taps Caruso to helm 'Superman' revival
dj-caruso-1.jpg

April 5th, 2010
Los Angeles-Warner Brothers Studios announced today that they have signed Eagle Eye and Disturbia director D.J. Caruso to direct their latest 'Superman' installment. Says a Warner Brothers spokesman "D.J. is the perfect person to revive and reintroduce this classic character with a refreshing take to modern audiences". Caruso will directing a script written by Stuart Beattie, who was commissioned by the projects Producers last year to write a Superman origin film.

Caruso wasnt my 1st choice, however he makes the most sense. It came down to him, Chris Columbus, and Francis Lawrence. While the latter 2 have had more box office success and have worked with W.B. more in the past, I dont feel either were right for Superman. I am Legends success was due almost entirely to Will Smiths presence, and I dont like his look for Superman. Columbus has experience with huge projects and W.B., but I wanted to get somebody who was *about* to hit it big, not somebone who already has. That way, Superman can be this persons real pet franchise, the way Bats is for Nolan, Spidey is for Raimi, ect. Carusos made to solid, well made films that have become hits based on the matiriel he produced. His style, which is serious while still corwd pleasing rather flat out epic, fits the style I want the Superman project to have perfectly.

Tom Hanks joins Warners 'Superman'
tom_hanks.jpg

June 14th, 2010
Los Angeles-Warner Brothers announced today the 1st major casting decision for their upcoming 'Superman' film, and strangely enough, it wasnt for the title role. However, the signing of megastar Tom Hanks to star as Jor-el, Superman father in the film, brings the film a lot of early attention. The word is Hanks wasn't originally interested and it took a sizeable salary to get him onboard. Says Hanks "When I first saw the script, I told them to send it back. My agent convinced me to give it a look, and it was far different than I was expecting." Shooting on the film is expected to begin this winter.

The 1st piece of real news is crucial. In order to avoid the problems that hindered past Superman projects, I decided adding a big name star to it was the real key to jump starting the project. His resume and talent speaks for itself, but adding Hanks to the project brings instant legitamacy and star power to the film, as well as instant buzz and attention. His name onboard virtually assures the project gets made, and makes other actors probably take a 2nd look at a film they otherwise wouldnt have considered, much like the effect Nicholson had on Batman, or Brando on Superman. Plus, Hanks is perfect for the kind of Jor-el I wish to portray. A brilliant, level headed thinker who the strong silent type of leader that people (aka audiences) can rally around. To avoid killing the budget, Hanks would signed to a back end deal where he recieves film projects, in this case, to sign him, we would offer 10% of the world wide projects, or basically a minimum of 25 million.

Breaking News: Henry Cavill cast as Superman; to open in May, 2012
img-henry.jpg

July 5th, 2010
Los Angeles-Warner Brothers announced today that Henry Cavill, star of HBO's "The Tudors" and who recently appeared in Woody Allens "Whatever Works", will play the title role in D.J. Carusos upcoming film "Superman". Tom Hanks has already signed to play his on screen father, Jor-el. Along with the announcement came a release date: Superman will open in theater worldwide on May 16th, 2012. This project is coming together faster than a speeding bullet; rumor is the rolesof Lois Lane and Lex Luthor have already been cast

Ok, maybe an bit unoriginal, but he's been my fave for the role forever. He's at the perfect part of his carreer to take on the role. I also opted for Mid May because its an empty weekend before Memorial day. Plus, word is Batman 3 will open in July, so to avoid that, May is ideal.

Warner Brothers "Super" surprise steals comic con; sends ripples throughtout Hollywod
July 24th, 2010
San Diego-Nobody knew what was coming from W.B.'s presentation. They hadnt announced any project to occupy the 3 hours of time they bought in the largest auditorium. So when word leaked Saturday that not only would Christopher Nolan be in town that morning, but directly after, D.J. Caruso would be in town to discuss the mysterious "Superman" project. Only to everybody surprise, he wasn't alone. He walked onto the stage accompanied by Hollywood superstar Tom Hanks, who is slated to play Supermans father Jor-el, and Superman himself, Henry Cavill. The trio were all smiles and fielded questions for an hour or so. Cavill confessed to be estatic about the casting, while Hanks commented that he hadn't be keen to sign up until reading the script and understanding the nature of the film. Caruso said he wanted to make Superman fun again; he felt it was time for a modern Superman to grace the big screen. It didnt takelong for the people in the crowd to virtually forget all about Superman Returns; not a single question was aked about it or the fate of its actors. After the first hour, things began to slow, so Caruso asked if the fans were ready for the surprise. The buzz erupted throughout the room as Caruso proceeded to announce AND introduce the following casting: 2 time Academy Award Nominee Ralph Fiennes had been cast the diabolical Lex Luthor, Rose Byrne (FXs "Damages, Knowing) had won the hotly contested role of Lois Lane; Bradley Cooper (The Hangover, Wedding Crashers) would star as the Superman "main threat, Lord Havoc", Michael Cera ("Superbad") had the role of Jimmy Olsen, and veteran star Alec Baldwin will be playing the catankerous Daily Planet editor Perry White. The cast were asked dozens of quetions by the awe struck fans in the over crowded room; the mega announcement stealing the thunder of most other films.

Isaacs joins growing "Super" cast
242581~Jason-Isaacs-Posters.jpg

August 2nd, 2010
Los Angeles-D.J. Caruso's Superman film continues to pick up steam as one of the hottest projects around. Barely a week after stealing the show at Comic Con and making press world wide, Warner's announced veteran Hollywood actor Jason Isaacs would be joining the film for a small role as "Intergalactic boss" Brainiac. Shooting on the film begins in Febuary, 2011 in Iceland, where it is believed only Superman himself Henry Cavill will be present. Superman is slated for a May 16th, 2012 release.

Superman Cast and Crew taking shape
November 4th, 2010
Los Angeles-It was announced today that Maura Tierney (Supermans Earth mother Martha), Edward Burns (Jonathan Kent), Victor Garber, Kevin Dunn, Selma Blair, and David Morse have all joined the cast. Dariusz Wolski will be doing the cinematography. He has previously worked with director D.J. Caruso on Eagle Eye. Thomas Sanders (Saving Private Ryan, Eagle Eye, Braveheart) will be doing the production design alongside Kevin Kavanaugh (The Dark Knight, Transformers, Eagle Eye), who will be overseeing the art and lighting for the film. Scott Farrar will be overseeing the special effects. Also, Hans Zimmer has signed onto do the music

Ok so here the cast, complete with quick bios of the folks you dont know.

The Cast and crew:
Director: D.J. Caruso
Producer: XL
Score: Hans Zimmer
Special Effects: Scott Farrar
Cinematography: Dariusz Wolski
Production Design: Thomas Sanders
Art: Kevin Kavanaugh
-Henry Cavill as Superman
-Rose Byrne as Lois Lane
-Ralph Fiennes as Lex Luthor
-Tom Hanks as Jor-el
-Jason Isaacs as Brainiac
-Bradley cooper as Lord Havoc: Lord Havoc is an ageless alien bounty hunter who was brought in Brainiac and trained as his top commander.
-Alex Baldwin as Perry White
-Michael Cera as Jimmy Olsen
-Maura Tierney as Martha Kent
-Edward Burns as Jonathan Kent
-Kevin Dunn as Dean Sutton: Sutton is an 50 year old new Military officer who works in the Pentagon.
-David Morse as Dunn: Dunn is one of Luthors right hand men. Mercy gets things done at work and on the side, Dunn is only on the side, if you get what I am saying.
-Selma Blair as Mercy: Luthor assistant
-Victor Garber as Rex Reason: Head of Lexcorps Apollo Project

Preliminary shooting begins on 'Superman
Febuary 18th, 2011
Iceland-Warner Brothers announced today that the D.J. Caruso helmed "Superman" film began shooting today in Iceland, though none of the major stars were present. Henry Cavill has already told us he begins shooting in March and will be doing it through October; Tom Hanks (Cavills on-screen father) isn't slated to arrive on the sets until May. Everybody else will coming to London (where the films sets have been built) in May. The project will also spend time shooting on location in Washington D.C. this July, as well as time in New York City.

W.B. Release 1st picture of Henry Cavill as Superman
April 22nd, 2011
Los Angeles-W.B. released the first still from D.J. Caruso's "Superman", due next May, featuring star Henry Cavill as the man of steel

land-Superman2.jpg

It would be that pose and same costume, but set amongst a cloudless, gorgeous blue sky. Cavills hairdo would be a lot like this:

Cavillsuperman-1.jpg

Entertainment Weekly storyWill Caruso's 'Superman' sink or soar?
June 12th, 2011
London, England-D.J. Caruso is barely 46-still young by Hollywood director standards-yet he mide as well be a 2 time Oscar winning blockbuster creator. He's currently in charge of one the grandest productions in film history; a film with a price tag pegged well over $200 million; starring one of the biggest stars of all time (Tom Hanks) while attempting reinvent while stay true to the source that is Supermanfor modern audiences. Superman, Warners Brother to revive the once burgoning franchise and bring it back to its blockbuster roots is not slated to hit theaters for a little over 11 months, however Caruso says "I wish it was 20 months to be honest, we have a lot of work to do to make that date". Our recent trip to one of the sets in England-an enormous backlot, so grand it's outside rather than on a soundstage-is an incredible beast: it's 6 full square city blocks, with multi layers (theres a semi-functioning subway underneath) with building 12 stories high, crowded all around eachother. Because each block and street will be used in a different scene, all are vastly different. Some come complete with buildings that can be destroyed-they put back together- in under an hour. Its a true piece of work W.B. will supposably be donating to Universal Studios Hollywood after the films done production. Tonight is a night time shoot, involving literally THOUSANDS of extras crammed onto the set, along with all of the main stars (outside of Hanks). The first we spot is Henry Cavill, the actor portraying the man of steel, wearing a partially torn Supersuit, wearing make up to show a bruised face, as well as cuts with real blood. This Superman is nothing like we have ever seen on the big screen. He gives us a wave before be ushered off. Soon we run into the bubbling Rose Byrne (seen below in a EW exclusive first picture of Byrne as Lois Lane-
300.byrne.rose.damages.lc.010509.jpg

whose busy rehearing lines. We're brought over to the shoot, which features Cavill 8 stories above on a wire harness, suspended above hundereds of extras below. In the crowd is Michael Cera of Superbad fame, who plays kid reporter Jimmy Olsen. The shoot, which was donze several time, features Cavills Superman landing amongst the crowd in a hurry, telling people to leave the scene immeadietly. He's barely finished the sentence where the entire crowd-Cavill included-flinches to what will be a huge explosion off the side. Superman has clearly found himself in the midst of some real trouble Earth; or is he the cause? Caruso says this is the paradox the film will examine with hero's: do they bring as trouble with them as they stop? The plot is being kept under lock and key, but its speculated from the mystery characters that Superman may be to blame for some of these "visitors" (as Caruso called them) coming to Earth to wreak havoc, which, from the looks of the sets, will be quite devestating. As the shoot comes to an end, we are rushed off the set, back to the production office, where...we will begin next months story.

Empire Magazine (picked up by Yahoo frontpage as well as IMDB)Henry Cavill isn't the only thing soaring in 'Superman': Budget reportedly spiking.
June 30th, 2011
London, England-The films only in month 4 of 7 month shoot and still has all of post production left, yet word is from London that the original budget of D.J. Caruso Tom Hanks-Henry Cavill starring "Superman" has been skyrocketing, from an original 175 million to over 225 million. Warner Brothers has already been in damage control, claiming the original budget was not "a hair over $200 million", but quickly added "If the footage coming back gives us confidence...it only makes sense to give additional funds". Perhaps its the defeaning buzz over the final Harry Potter film that opens in 2 weeks thats letting W.B. splurge a little on their next big baby. Whatever the cause, W.B. has seen budget problems grow into bad buzz, with the nearly forgotten Bryan Singer directed "Superman Returns" being plagued by them for almost its entire production, though W.B. insists Carusos film wont be more than RETURNS was. They'll try to keep a lid on them before it gets too bad. Says one source, "Warners is furous with Caruso. He's telling them he needs $250 million to a do a film he agreed to do for $175 million. They;ve already agreed to give Tom Hanks almost 20% of all profits from theatrical release to merchandise, not to mention the enormous marketing budget to come, they cannot afford to spend any more money." A rep for W.B. insists the studio is "100% behind Caruso, and is estatic over the dailies they are seeing".

Rumor of the day: 'Super' surprise with Harry tonight?
7/14/2011
The internet is buzzing today with rumors that Warner Brothers has rushed a teaser trailer for D.J. Carusos troubled Superman film into theaters with their film "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II". Theaters across the country are reporting that a trailer under the title "Snow Kings Snowblowers" is actually a small teaser trailer for the new Superman film. Details are scarse, though word is WAS on youtube for a short time before W.B. lawyers blew a gasket. We'll know either way tonight when we are all sitting in the theater and it airs (or doesnt) shortly after midnight.

UPDATE-AINT IT COOL EXLCUSIVE: Superman teaser with Harry Potter!
7/14/2011
Incase your not already in line, you might want to go now! Forget the huge presales and enormous expectations, GET UP AND GO TO THE THEATER! NOW!We have confirmation from a local theater owner that a teaser for Superman is indeed with Harry Potter, and is supposably OFF THE HOOK! Details our scarce, but our source said ti does include both footage and dialogue from the film, and sells it as a doomsday film...but with Superman". The teaser supposably takes a page out of the playbook War of the Worlds & Transformers used for their early teasers; selling the film as almost a large scale horror film until we figure out what it is at the end. We've learned the teaser does include some sort of "urgant radio broadcast" or something. I dont know. It sounds awesome. Why are you still reading and not in line?

LR EXLCUSIVE-SUPERMAN TEASER TRAILER DESCRIPTION!
7/14/2011
Yo! Ya boy ____ here! Todays been insane on the internet-word broke just hours ago of a possible Supes trailer, and I was lucky enough to catch it on you tube before it was taken off (it pays to have connections). It does look like by and large, W.B. has cauight us sleeping with surprise event trailer ala CLOVERFIELD. For the sake of keeping my legal record clean Ill avoid specifics, though the rumors of them selling it as a disaster movie ARE true; the trailer shows a foreboding news telecast at one point discussing the end of the world. Ill also this: Henry Cavill LOOKS and SOUNDS amazing. He has one line and one close up, but you can tell the shot and line are gonna be instant classics, which is pretty much exactly what this teaser is. Bradley Coopers Lord Havoc is also featured, and he just screams "cool". He also has a wicked line. The final shot at the end is just...superb. It sells the film as exactly what a superman film needs to be sold as. Youll know what I mean when you see this. I also LOVE the look of the film. Unlike Returns, this is extremely modern. Its got that Michael Bay flaire going on. Its awesome, and Im about to go see it in full Imax big screen in a midnight. Make sure you are not late, you do NOT want to this one on the silver screen!

Continued here:
http://forums.superherohype.com/showpost.php?p=16946090&postcount=20

Last edited:
I like the idea of this thread. Here's my go:

First I want the film to be a full on reboot, retelling Superman's origin from the beginning. The story would draw from many various references, ranging from Superman: Birthright to Smallville, all the way back to the original Superman: The Movie; then I'd add my own spin and flavor on top of all that. The story would be told in a similar fashion to BB, in that it'd utilize flashbacks to show Superman's origin, from Krypton to his time in Smallville. The present day segments at the beginning will be set in Africa, much like Birthright. The reasoning for his traveling the world is because he felt guilty after the death of his father and wishes to forget of his existence as Clark Kent and simply try to hide from his destiny. So we'd start with a Clark unwilling to accept his true destiny, and then over the course through his time in Africa he learns that he must become the hero he is meant to be by assuming the persona of a symbol.

Ma Kent will make his costume and then he goes to Metropolis. The villain will be Lex Luthor. In the film Luthor and Lois will have a relationship till the end when Lois sees Lex as evil. In the film Luthor will be portrayed as an underground terrorist who hides behind the corporate businessman facade. Lex has developed a new weapon he plans to sell to terrorists and will use Metropolis as the demonstration, of course once Supes arrives he realizes that Superman must be destroyed before he unfurls his scheme. So Lex begins a series of plots to demoralize Superman and make him fail. Of course Supes bounces back and saves the day from Luthor.

Now the film will not focus too much on the romance between Lois and Supes. We'll see that they are both attracted to one another through their various meetings, but neither will act upon their emotions till the sequel. They're portrayed in this film more as friends who want to love one another, but are afraid how that'll affect their friendship.

Most importantly though the film will remember that Superman is fun. In terms of overall tone, think something along the line of the first two Spider-man films or Iron Man.

Now the look of Metropolis would be modeled after modern day New York, but bigger. Buildings taller and far grander in scale. The Daily Planet building be art deco in style. The newsroom be huge, with a ceiling maybe forty feet tall with large outlooking windows. The suit be a fine balance between the STM suit and the SR suit. Not as bright or flimsy looking as the STM suit, but not as dark as the SR one, and the belt will resemble the one from STM.

That's how I see the film and its story. Now on to the cast and crew.

Director: Myself. I'm a film student and it is a dream of mine to someday make a Superman film. I'm entitled to dream big, aren't I. Also there are many directors/producers nowadays.

Cast: Clark Kent/Superman - Unknown. There is not a known actor out there right now that I think would make a good Superman, still if the studio pressured me for an established actor for the role, I don't mind the idea of Henry Cavill or Josh Hartnett. I still don't think that either of those two though would be perfect, neither have that naivety that the role of Superman and Clark need to require.

Lois Lane - Rose Byrne. The key here is to find an actress that has good screen presence and can hold her own against the most powerful man in the world. She seems tailor made for this part, she's got the looks, and definitely has the ability to portray the character. Second choice, Keri Russell.

Lex Luthor - Jon Hamm. While he already played Lex in that brilliant funny or die video, I think given serious material he'd make a terrific Lex. Just watch Mad Men and that's all the convincing one needs to see whether or not he could play this role. Not to mention the fact that I'd like to see him attempt a role as sinister as Lex. Plus his age would fit better than just about any other actor with how I want Lex portrayed. Second choice, Jason Isaacs.

Jimmy Olsen - Paul Rust. He definitely has the look, and he is not so well known to where he wont upstage the leads. Not to mention he has terrific comedic timing. Now while he is nearly thirty years old, he looks nearly ten years younger than he is. Second choice, Anton Yelchin. Third choice, Michael Cera.

Perry White - Hugh Laurie. I've wanted him to be Perry ever since I first heard he was cast in SR. If anyone needs convincing just watch House and you'll see why he'd just be perfect for the part.

Martha Kent - Kyra Sedgwick. She has the look and the ability, not to mention the fact that just like Ma Kent she has the perfect amount of spunk.

Jonathan Kent - Dennis Quaid. He's likable, looks the part, and has the chops. Also he'd match Kyra very well on screen. Second choice, Kevin Costner.

Jor-El - Johnny Depp. It's no secret that he's a terrific actor, but he has the right amount of gravitas to tackle a role as legendary as Jor-El.

Lara - Catherine Zeta Jones. She'd match Johnny real well on screen, but also she has the right amount of grace and integrity to portray the character.

Director of Photography: Bruno Delbonnel. His color schemes would be perfect for Superman.

Composer: Michael Giacchino. I've been a huge fan of his music since before Star Trek, but if Star Trek's score doesn't convince you that he could do Superman, you're crazy. I would not like to utilize the classic Superman theme till the end of the film, when Superman foils Luthor's plot. I feel that Superman must earn that theme, he shouldn't just be given it straight out of the gate. The whole film is the how and why Clark must become this symbolic hero, and he does not become 100% sure that he can be the hero he is supposed to be until the very end.

That's it. Let me know what you'll think.

Last edited:
Lol nice thread. If I was the producer it would go something like this

Duncan Jones to Give 'Rebirth'
DuncanJonesAndDavidBowie.jpg

Relative newcomer director Duncan Jones (pictured left) has been chosen by Warner Bros. to give the Superman film series CPR with 'Superman Rebirth'. Not much has been given. But we hear that the choice has been picked do to his work strong low budget, well received film titled Moon. More on this later.
Usually I'm against picking a choice just based on clips, but the clips for Moon have blown me away. That's why I chose Duncan Jones as a potential director. He is relatively new, not huge names which remind me of Nolan and Faverau before thy made their respective superhero films.

Deschanel Cast as Lois Lane and Other Superman Casting News
normal_Zooey_Deschanel_008.jpg

Zooey Deschanel (500 Days of Summer) will play the tough-as-nails, hard hitting reporter Lois Lane in the new upcoming 'Superman Rebirth' film. Lois Lane has been known to be the toughest damsel in distress around and also the object over Superman/Clark Kent's affection since the beginnings of the character.

Along with Deschanel, Ralph Fiennes (In Bruges) has been cast to play the big bad enemy Brainiac. Other casting includes: Jim Caviezel (The Passion of the Christ) as Jor-El, Superman's father. Dan Byrd (Heroes) as Superman's best pal Jimmy Olsen. Lena Headey (300) as Superman's mom, Lara Lor-Van.

Lex Luthor is known to have been written in the script but no word yet on who might play him. Other casting news will be expected to be released at the San Diego Comic Con

Routh to Return as Man of Steel
brandon-routh2.jpg

Brandon Routh, the man who starred in 2006's Superman Returns will...return as one of America's most well known comic book characters. Routh signed another 4 picture deal to include 'Superman Rebirth' and it's sequels, along with a Justice League of America live action. Routh was the director Duncan Jones' first and only choice for the role.
The director had this to say had this to say of Routh
"He embodies the look of Superman and Clark Kent, which isn't something that many actors can do. He received the blessing from the Reeves family and he's a fan favorite, which is a plus."

Despite the fact that Superman Rebirth will be a reboot, Routh is the only member of the ill fated Superman Returns that will return. 'Superman Rebirth' is set to be released May 2012
get mad

Everybody seems to have a take on everything-casting, directing, look. how to make the film successful, what the movie should be about, ect. This is kind of those all in one. Imagine you are the Producer of the next Superman film, and you are starting from scratch. Like recent successful reboots, this is going to revitalize and invent Superman for a new audience while aiming to keep it the same classic character thats been very popular for nearly 75 years. This is the culmination of all the little things weve talked about into creating the big picture. You have 2 tasks:

1st and foremost, to make a quality film that both average moviegoers and the die hard fans will enjoy. This is where the film makers and actors come into play; sets, costumes, look, ect.

2nd, you need to worry about how much money your going to spend as well as much money your going to make. How to get the most bang for buck. It wouldnt be logical to cast Tom Hanks as Jor-el along with Johnny Depp as Luthor with Spielberg directing; not only is it totally impossible but much too expensive. This goes covers everything from marketing to release; spinning stories so the buzz is as good as it is big, ect.

Take us through step by step of how you would do it. How would you make the greatest Superman film ever, and how would you make financially successful? The entire idea is aimed at making audiences forget about Superman Returns, much like BB did to B&R, CR to DAD, ect.

Ill start mine here; I wont do everything at once because that would just make it boring; Ill do the 1st 3 big announcements now, in the order I would have the come, with a time frame/date. Just to spice it up a bit and make this a bit different than the standard "Your in charge thread", when I announce my picks, Ill do 2 things: Write as if your reading it as an announcement on say, the Hype! Mainpage, and than offer a 2nd paragraph offering insight into my decision.

Caruso wasnt my 1st choice, however he makes the most sense. It came down to him, Chris Columbus, and Francis Lawrence. While the latter 2 have had more box office success and have worked with W.B. more in the past, I dont feel either were right for Superman. I am Legends success was due almost entirely to Will Smiths presence, and I dont like his look for Superman. Columbus has experience with huge projects and W.B., but I wanted to get somebody who was *about* to hit it big, not somebone who already has. That way, Superman can be this persons real pet franchise, the way Bats is for Nolan, Spidey is for Raimi, ect. Carusos made to solid, well made films that have become hits based on the matiriel he produced. His style, which is serious while still corwd pleasing rather flat out epic, fits the style I want the Superman project to have perfectly.

The 1st piece of real news is crucial. In order to avoid the problems that hindered past Superman projects, I decided adding a big name star to it was the real key to jump starting the project. His resume and talent speaks for itself, but adding Hanks to the project brings instant legitamacy and star power to the film, as well as instant buzz and attention. His name onboard virtually assures the project gets made, and makes other actors probably take a 2nd look at a film they otherwise wouldnt have considered, much like the effect Nicholson had on Batman, or Brando on Superman. Plus, Hanks is perfect for the kind of Jor-el I wish to portray. A brilliant, level headed thinker who the strong silent type of leader that people (aka audiences) can rally around. To avoid killing the budget, Hanks would signed to a back end deal where he recieves film projects, in this case, to sign him, we would offer 10% of the world wide projects, or basically a minimum of 25 million.

Ok, maybe an bit unoriginal, but he's been my fave for the role forever. He's at the perfect part of his carreer to take on the role. I also opted for Mid May because its an empty weekend before Memorial day. Plus, word is Batman 3 will open in July, so to avoid that, May is ideal.

So the cast is pretty much set. You have:

-Henry Cavill as Superman
-Rose Byrne as Lois Lane
-Ralph Fiennes as Lex Luthor
-Tom Hanks as Jor-el
-Jason Isaacs as Brainiac
-Bradley cooper as Lord Havoc
-Alex Baldwin as Perry White
-Michael Cera as Jimmy Olsen

As the principle cast.

Ill edit in the rest later on-which will go from pre production (casting, ect) to production, trailers, all the way through release.

Im looking forward to hearing everybody else's ideas as well.
Very good idea on this thread. I cant wait to see what others have to say. I might throw my ideas in here soon myself when i can set things up. You had some interesting casting choices and i like alot of them. One thing though this "lord havoc" character you mentioned would he be a totally original made character?

Pretty much, though hes essentially your standard physical villain.

Alec Baldwin is a good choice for Perry that I never real thought of before. Rose Byrne is a great choice, she was originally my second choice for Lois, but for age reasons I decided to make her my first. Personally I feel that Ralph Fiennes looks a little too old to play Lex alongside such a younger cast, but that's just me. I too thought Michael Cera would make a great Jimmy, but I feel that he is too recognizable, and he might upstage the other actors playing Clark and Lois because of that fact.

ah ok i was thinking that and wanted to see what you said. I might make a post soon on my idea i just need to think of/look up some actors.

ah ok i was thinking that and wanted to see what you said. I might make a post soon on my idea i just need to think of/look up some actors.
In other words let me go to SaveSuperman.com and ask Steve who he would cast first then I re post it.

Nice thread idea, and I'm excited to play this game. But this is how I'm going to do it. I'm only going to give bits and pieces of information every couple of posts, similiar to how it would be in the real world. And as a spoiler, I will end my Superman producer storyline with the announcement of several actors who will audition for the role, and then I will leave you hanging. And for the purposes of this thread, the person who I will refer to as William Aries happens to be myself. Side note, William Aries has been an alias I have used since 4th grade. My middle name is William, and I'm an Aries. Give me a break, I was in 4th grade and it stuck. Anyway.......

MAY 19TH, 2009.

"Out of left field, exciting news broke today from Warner Brothers studio's. Writer/Producer Ronald D. Moore has been brought onboard the Superman franchise alongside William Aries, and together the two will reboot legendary superhero with an origin film focusing on the first appearences and adventures of the Man of Steel. Moore has previously reboot and retold the acclaimed Battlestar Galactica, and has also written and produced for Star Trek Deep Space Nine, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Roswell, and Carnivale. Some still that despite the well deserved attention recieved by the J.J. Abrams reboot of that particular franchise, Moore was the greatest writer to come through, and his screenplay for Star Trek: First Contact helped that movie become one of Treks finest big screen adaptions. Joining Moore will be relative unknown William Aries, who is also attached to a big screen adaption of fellow DC comic book hero "The Flash", and what he calls two long overdue in-depth movies centered around World War 1 and the Korean War. It is believed that Moore and Aries will reach out and attempt to bring comic book and television writer Jeph Loeb on board to help with script duties.

We are going to start from scratch and do a retelling of Superman's origin, said Moore, who was followed up by Aries noting that it was time to bring Superman into the 21st century and leave behind the iconic Christopher Reeve Superman films once and for all. The Chris Reeve/Richard Donner film was iconic and important in the history of not only comic book films, but films of the fantasy and sci-fi genres, said Aries, but there are different variations and ways to tell a story about Superman, and as the old saying goes, no film is perfect. Since the Christopher Reeve era of Superman, there have been three television shows that have brought the Kryptonian survivor on to the small screen, and the underwhelming Superman Returns hit theaters in 2006. But, the new Superman creative team feels that all of these attempts have not done the character justice and have all simply missed the target.

As far as the storyline for this new chapter in the saga of Superman, a basic premise has been revealed. First and foremost, the villian. The sole villian of this film will be Braniac, a character many comic book fanboys have waited years to see on the big screen. And while there are several different comic book versions of th character, this Braniac will be rooted in Kryptonian origin. Going this route with Braniac, it just easily lends itself to an origin story were the focus is Superman,this allows for the focus to remain more so on Superman instead of branching off mid-story and doing yet another rushed Lex Luthor storyline, said Moore. The film will open on Krypton, and Braniac's part in the planets demise will be highlighted alongside the desperation of Superman's biological parents, Jor-El and Lara, to save there only son. Once on Earth, non-linear scenes focusing on the childhood of young Clark Kent, mixed with scenes of an early twenties Kent, will feature several key moments in the young man's life that will help make the choice to become Superman. In essence, the Clark Kent you will see in this film will be, at heart, a human being. And this human being just happens to have the powers of a God, something not many people can claim. Being an idealist, Clark will simply want to help, to make the world a better place, and in his mind, if the people of this world see a man with the powers of a God that is willing to help and not set on world control and domination, that can inspire. The story will highlight how Superman makes the world a better place. But it's not exactly cheers for big blue right out of the gate, like it was for the Chris Reeve Superman. How the hell would you feel if one day you turned on the news and some guy in a red cape showed up with the strength of 10,00 men and complete invulnerability, asked Aries. You would be scared to death. That is right, at first, the world will be afraid of Superman. His debut will be seen as something to good to be true, because in responce to his claims of wanting to help, the world will raise it's eyebrow and say, "bullshi*t", anyone with those abilities could only want to rule. But there will be one key person who believes in Superman from the get go, Daily Planet reporter Lois Lane, who will act as Superman's own personal publicist to get his message out. And then Braniac shows up, and suffice to say, feces hits the fan. Braniac's appearence will make the world believe that a true alien invasion has come, and one of Braniac's abilities in this film is shape-shifting, he can take on the look of anyone that he wants, Superman included. Although he has settled on the face of a person with whom he considers his father, someone close to Superman. But don't worry comic book fans, Moore and Aries have promised that Braniac will also be seen in his full on robotic appearence. And Lex Luthor fans, don't fret. LexCorp will be seen and mentioned several times during the course of the film, and two scenes during the film, one near the end, will set up a large portion of the already pre-planned sequel storyline.

One of the criticsm's of Brayn Singer during the production of Superman Returns was that the movie was based off of Superman: The Movie and thats it, that none of the other source material was even skimmed over, outside of one Action Comics cover. Aries wants to assure fans that won't be the case this time around. There are several different forms of Superman media that will aide us in the creation of this movie. A quick rundown includes the min-series Superman: Birthright which was written by Mark Waid, who has joined Aries on the "Flash" feature film project. Also, Superman: The Animated Series, Superman For All Seasons, John Byrne's Man of Steel, and All-Star Superman will all be drawn from for this film.

As far as picking a Director goes, well, were looking into several different scenario's, said Aries. It all kind of depends on who will really mesh with our vision and direction. There is really not much to comment on when it comes to a Director at this time. One thing is for sure, the budget for this film will be nowehre near that of Superman Returns reported $260 million. One of the most important points about this film is that we want it to be both critically acclaimed and financially successful, we want to do a character film and do it the right way, and after the drag that was Superman Returns, we feel that some movie goers might be afraid to return to theaters for this film. Hopefully, we can garner Dark Knight and Star Trek like buzz for this film, said Aries, but we are also prepared to go the Batman Begins route, and rebuild through a quality movie that returns credibility to the Superman franchise and firmly re-establishes the character. That is our main goal, re-establishing the character through a quality film. Another criticsm of the Bryan Singer made Superman Returns was a simple lack of action. And while this Superman reboot will be a character film first, the inclusion of a villian like Braniac will provide the chance to see Superman throw a punch or two. We have some cool, intense, and emotional action scenes in mind, not only for fight scenes between Superman and Braniac, but of Superman's heroic deeds around the world. And I think what will make the Superman vs. Braniac fight fun will be the fact that Braniac for one has all Kryptonian knowledge stored in his databanks, and has traveled the galaxy learning about and then destroying worlds, so there is bound to be some alien kung-fu tricks that Braniac has picked up along the way. And then there is Superman, who has never really worried about, or been in for that matter, a true fight. Why would Clark Kent take a karate or boxing class, asked Moore. So I think it will be interesting to watch Superman try and "tussle" with a technically sound an opponent thats technically sound in hand to hand combat.

In casting news, while little has been talked about, one thing is certain. Brandon Routh will not be reprise his role from Superman Returns, says Aries. When asked why, Aries simply responded, Routh cannot act. Look, Brandon Routh seems like a nice guy, he does have an uncanny resemblence to Christopher Reeve, and he does have some fan support, but we need an real actor for what we want to accomplish with the character, and there really isn't any faith in Brandon's acting ability. Aries also noted that a Chris Reeve clone will not be sought after and that he would prefer to move away from that look to allow a new actor to establish his own identity as the character. Aries and Moore both said that have a list of credentials that a certain actor must have to nab the role, and that unknown, known, or semi-known, the best man for the part would be cast. With the other roles, there is internal debate on a casting approach. Should we stack up on big names with instant face recognition, try and secure a cast of critically acclaimed actors, or find nice niche actors and actresses who fill there roles with the perfection were seeking, asked Aries. We will see soon. One rumor that has already spread implies that both Aries and Moore want to meet with actress Evangiline Lilly, who stars on the hit ABC show "Lost", for the role of Lois Lane. While some would ask, who doesn't want to play an iconic character like Lois Lane in a big screen blockbuster, Lilly seems to not have a taste for the hollywood limelight, and despite her beauty and obvious acting ability, has even made mention of not acting anymore once Lost is finished with it's sixth and final season. It seems that Aries and Moore will try and persuade Lilly into changing her tune and joining the project as report Lane. There is also a reported deal in place with Jason Isaacs to portray Lex Luthor, but not in this origin film. Rather, Isaacs would play Lex Luthor in the pre-planned sequel, or even multiple sequels. However, it is worth noting that Aries mentioned how perfect Jaquin Phoenix would be for the Luthor character if he gets his career back on track.

Well, thats all we have on this new Superman film for now, stay tuned.

Last edited:
You spelled "your" wrong Excel.

I'll fix it and erase these posts.

solid post notfadeaway.

Thanks....

There will be more later. The hardest part of this is actually picking the Director. Of course, the back up plan for my ideas is to turn the whole thing over to Peter Jackson, put the comics I listed in my previous post in front of him, and let Jackson work the magic. But like I said, fall back plan.

I tend to doubt PJ would take the Project; than again, he hasnt had a film in 4 years and his last was a bit of a dissappointment all around. If the Lovely Bones fails, he might be in a post Island Michael Bay zone where he wants something he knows he work magic with.

I tend to doubt PJ would take the Project; than again, he hasnt had a film in 4 years and his last was a bit of a dissappointment all around. If the Lovely Bones fails, he might be in a post Island Michael Bay zone where he wants something he knows he work magic with.

I think Jackson would take the project if he were promised full control. Anything less, and I don't think he would.

Ok, I'm through breaking character in this thread. Still thinking of a director.

Jackson would make a baller Supes film; go for it. The whole point of this is to have fun with it, god knows the real news is dead.

Original posts been updated with some stories from the production.

Last edited:
Lol nice thread. If I was the producer it would go something like this

Usually I'm against picking a choice just based on clips, but the clips for Moon have blown me away. That's why I chose Duncan Jones as a potential director. He is relatively new, not huge names which remind me of Nolan and Faverau before thy made their respective superhero films.

get mad

Love your choices for Supes and Lois. :up: :cwink:

Mine continued:

Yahoo Exclusive!-SUPERMAN teaser online!
Unless you've been living in a cave, you probably saw the final Harry Potter film this weekend, where you would have seen what many are calling an "instant classic" teaser trailer for D.J. Carusos upcoming Superman film, starring Tom Hanks. Or if you didnt see it, you have probably heard about it. Not has a trailer made such a buzz since the Cloverfield teaser snuck up in Transformers in 2008. Here is a link to the in glorious quick time!

Without further ordue...the teaser trailer for XL's Superman

Teaser Trailer airing with Final Harry Potter Film:
-Darkness.
-A voice; scared if optimistic. As if heard through an old, crackling Radio sounds, as we view a partially destroyed AIRCRAFT HANGER, full of half destroyed jets-during a sunny day: “There seems to be some movement…we cant quite make out what’s happening-their strength is just incred”-it goes to static, as it does, the picture goes to black.
-Warner Brothers Logo appears across the screen. A hint at foreboding music.
-A different voice, deeper, older, as we get a picture of an abandoned, half destroyed city street at night… “We cant quite explain these events, the past few weeks have made us all into believers. What we do know now is-” the sound is gone. Static.
-D.C. Comics Logo blazes before us slowly
-Silence.
-TIGHT on a T.V. in a storefront window at night- a newscast plays. An empty desk. Suddenly, abruptly, a newsman; 45 rushed and unkempt; trembling. Fumbles with microphone. Unsettling. Shaking. Desperately trying to sound confident, he begins:
“Ladies and gentleman. If you are watching this, and are NOT taking shelter underground, we strongly urge you -ALL of you-everywhere-to do so IMMEDIATELY. Anywhere you can find."
(beat)
"At this hour, not much is clear. What we do know is that there are visitors on this planet, and that there is conflict between them-sections of New York City have been destroyed; parts of Metropolis. There has been some sort of activity in the Sahara. A great deal of Seoul, Korea, no longer exists.”
-All this man wants to do is cry. But hes a pro. We realize NOW that we have slowly PUSHING in on the t.v. screen, so much so that we cannot see its edge any more. He continues:
-“Only weeks ago, this report would have seemed…ludicrous. Aliens…using Earth as a battleground.”
-He calms, but, with growing venom: “But…that was before Superman. (a pause-audience goes “Superman?!?”- he continues:) “It turns out our faith in his kind may have been…naïve. Premature. Perhaps, given the state of the world, simply desperate.” He pauses-voices off screen- the Music that had been building ERUPTS as the man freaks at what he hears-makes a move-RUMBLING-the desk is RIPPED upwards-and the screen goes static. The music comes to a SCREECHING halt.
-Surrounded by rubble in the middle of a Metropolis street at night, LORD HAVOC-badass dressed in black, ozzing evil-glares past us. A motionless body, wounded, bloodied, lies in a crater opposite him. Rises. Pan up and around from his fit tp his iconic suit to the face, hurt, but determined, Cavils classic blue eyes blazing with determination: the is a Superman we've never seen on film, yet the kind we‘ve always imagined. He's bruised and bloodied, but ready for a fight. The music stops, as he growls: “Miss me?” (as the audience shakes their heads with thunderous "yes we have to hell with spidey!!")
-The music erupts again, fast paced, epic-WE GET IT: SERIOUS, HUGE SCALE SUPERMAN!
-NEXT SUMMER
-Quick-as in ½ second shot each-shots of:
*Superman looking up the in the fortress of Solitude
-Superman flies up into the screen from the Daily Planety roof at night, an instant money shot
-LOOK
-Lois Lane looks skyward while on the a tower balcony at night
-A crashing helicopter spins wildly past us
-TO
*Lex Luthor snarls past us
-THE
*Jor-el looks angry
-Superman soars past us blindly
-SKY
-Silence.
-Shot of Havoc, almost enjoying himself:
-Black screen, as he hisses: “Cry for me, ‘Super' man”.
-Day time in Metropolis, 100 stories up; random skyscrapers visible-Superman and havoc, wrestling in midair at 60 mph, spinning blindly. They swerve to avoid building-but CRASH right into a building-we pan around as they crash out the other side, concrete and wood spewing everywhere, and slam into the camera-
-SUPERMAN
-SUMMER 2012
^yes, thats the opening scenes from Abrams script. I woudl use it for just the teaser; it wouldnt be part of the film.

The following is another Entertainment Weekly story, this time a cover story like this one:
W6I9I8P_large.jpg

Set to the already released picture of Cavills Superman, captioned "Henry Cavill: With one glare and one line, a star is born".
"The trailer that changed the world:
-Paying to just see the trailer
-The huge reactionS
-The soaring budget
-The 2nd part of our set visit"

The Trailer that Changed the World (and how Batman helped out)
7/24/2011-The execs are probably wondering at Warner Brothers how they ever let bad buzz get to a movie. It took just 103 seconds for the entire Hollywood to forget the bad buzz over the budget. Maybe it was the "War of the Worlds" esque sense of impending doom, maybe it was that epic money shot at the end, perhaps it was Bradleys Coopers hissing thirst for a cry, possibly Tom Hanks calming, reassuring presence, or maybe it was those piercing blue eyes of Cavill. Whatever it was, it worked. The trailer recieved over 3 million hits an hour as soon as it debuted online, and reports had people at sold out Harry Potter showings begging for tickets just to see the trailer and than leave. Searches for "Superman 2012" and "Henry Cavill" spiked, both reaching #1 on Yahoo for a short time this week. It turns, the trailer that changed the world almost wasn't. W.B.'s original plan was to include a trailer for THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS, due next July, instead with Supermans coming this winter with Happy Feet 2 However, they said the combo of needing to turn the buzz back to positive, and their belief that Batman will sell itself next summer, caused them to rush a trailer out. Its strange this happens 1 week before the 2nd part of our 6 part series of set visits. We last left off heading for a production office, lead by Caruso's assistant TreMayne. We got a sneak peak at enormous canvas painting of art-the final look of Metropolis is going to incredible btw-as well as dozens of would be still from the action sequences, which look "large" to say the least- one particular one seemed to have a flying Superman dragging Lord Havoc with some sort of wire in between buildings, which looked cool. TreMayne explains that because the project was so large, Caruso is working 7 days a week to get it done; and all final footage is sent into post production immeadietly as opposed to waiting for the entire shoot is over. They gave a clip of a scene they say was filmed last weekend, which involved an enormous, real live alien ship in the middle of a huge soundstage, which was supposed to be the Sahara Dessert at midnight. The quick clip showed dozens of humvees and army tech converging on the alien ship. It looks very cool. Another clip showed Ralph Fiennes Lex Luthor in a bit of a more comical scene: he 's younger, and goes off on a crazy, Hitler inspired rant. Its intense and well delivered, until we go to his POV, and see that he was saying to a classroom of a 8 year olds at a Catholic private school. We also a bit of the 3rd previs they do, this one showing Lois and Superman flying over the ocean. The film seems to have an aweful lot of night time scenes. Anyways, after the previs, TreMayne lead us out yet again, this time we were heading for the editing room...which brings us to next Months article!"

Last edited:
sounds like a cool teaser idea excel. And yea its very hard to come up with ideas for who would be solid director, actors, and producers. There is so many people out there and many names known and unknown to us masses.

My first actions as a producer would be that i'd use MY SCRIPT, get ROBERT ZEMECKYS as the DIRECTOR and then:

HENRY CAVILL TO STAR IN SUPERMAN REBOOT!

HenryCavill2.jpg

Also,

TOM HANKS IS SUPERMAN'S DAD.
tom-hanks-picture-1.jpg

Director ROBERT ZEMECKYS and producer/writer "SUPERDANIEL" talked about the casting of Hanks and the depiction of the place Superman was raised:

RZ: "I needed an actor who represents AMERICANA. Someone with a gentle humbleness and who inspires confidence and trust. Tom is to me THE guy who possesses all these qualities and more. We imediately cared for him when we traveled together through America's history in Forrest Gump. We needed the same thing for Pa Kent and Clark's childhood. They're a pivotal part of the story we're trying to tell. Pa Kent represents Superman's humanity."

Childhood.jpg

SD: "When we look at the city Superman grew up and how it was ever portrayed, it is impossible not to think of a Norman Rockwell painting: That special place and feeling we instantly miss when we look at it. Something we can all relate. This is what his painting evokes. It is the kind of thing I tried to capture in the world of Smallville and its citzens. The real challenge was to transform the still images into scenes that actually make sense in the story."

Rockwell_Saying_Grace.jpg

A239.jpg

RZ: "Almost like what we did with Greenbow, Alabama."

SD: "Yeah. It should have a fairy tale, almost utopian quality. A sense of community, something to aspire to and carry on. This is to me one of the foundations of the Superman character and persona. Why does he do this? You have all these INCREDIBLE powers and what do you do with them? Why would you give up of your normal life to HELP strangers? You must believe in something and Smallville and how he was raised is one of the keys to these questions. This movie is going to answer them all. We're going to really dwelve into Superman's head and feelings and this was never really done in a movie. Not like this, anyway."

RZ: "It is going to be a truly special and magic experience for everyone."

SD: "We can only hope to be able to achieve that."

saltz11-14-5.jpg

Norman's Rockwell "After the Prom" was the inspiration for a scene in the movie in wich Clark Kent and Lana Lang go for a date but are interrupted by a force of nature...

rockwellbreakinghometies.jpg

"Breaking home ties" portraying a similarity with Clark's quest: Leaving home to find out about his destiny but always carring inside his childhood experiences and learnings.

MORE TO COME!

Last edited:
If only :( W.B. doesnt have the ballz to try it like that tho.

Jonathan Kent must have a pretty damn big role.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"