Zac Efron stars in Wrestling Drama “The Iron Claw” | A24

Fantastic film. They could've easily gone in the direction of trying to paint the father as a super villain but it was all handled so well. Efron deserves some award nominations for his transformation and performance.
Absolutely this. It could've come from a place of the dad being vindictive, and even when it feels like the father doesn't see the reality that's happening to his sons, he, having been in the ring himself, is just pushing them to be their best. That comes at a cost, but he truly does feel like a family man just hoping his sons will have the same passion that he had.

So do they acknowledge at all how wrestling is staged, meaning the outcome of matches is predetermined?

Yeah idk why they would bring that up.

Like what does that have to do with the movie even if the movie revolves around wrestling. IT's a family drama first not a behind the scenes look at the making of wrestling

I saw this today. Great movie but very depressing. I didn't know much about the Von Erich family at all going into it but I'm even sadder after reading up on the real life family.

I would have been fine if the movie had been a half hour longer not only for more scenes of the brothers in happier times but also to include Chris Von Erich. From a general audience perspective I can see why he wasn't included here as the movie was already enough of a downer with seeing David, Mike and Kerry die one by one.

There wasn't a bad performance here. It was the best I've ever seen Efron although admittedly I think this is the first movie of his I've watched that isn't a comedy. Jeremy Allen White, Harris Dickinson and Holt McCallany were all great as well.

Yeah idk why they would bring that up.

Like what does that have to do with the movie even if the movie revolves around wrestling. IT's a family drama first not a behind the scenes look at the making of wrestling
I was just curious if they make “winning the championship” a storyline when in reality it was already scripted who would win the match

I mean a lot of movies or shows with wrestling in them used to treat it like a real sport (where the characters were trying to win) instead of the way a show or movie would treat characters who are actors on a movie set.

Obviously we are past that with movies like The Wrestler and this being an autobiography on the Von Erik family, but that used to be a trope that shows and movies about wrestling would treat it like Rocky or something.

Let’s be clear that pro wrestling is staged but Olympic wrestling is not. I’m not even familiar with that many movies that have pro wrestling as a theme for a movie other than The Wrestler and this.

I mean, there was that Hulk Hogan movie No Holds Barred I guess lol

I’m not even familiar with that many movies that have pro wrestling as a theme for a movie other than The Wrestler and this.
1DZNh7i.gif

There's also Fighting With My Family from a few years back starring Florence Pugh as Paige right before she really broke out with Midsommar and Little Women.

I have nothing to do with Wrestling and didnt know anything of the family. After the first 10 minutes I could tell that this toxic masculinity 101 from the father would end in a hot mess, but not in my wildest dreams I could imagine it takes out 3 of 4.. Efrons transformation deserve to be honored, but he is also nailing his dialog scenes. Personally, I felt the most for Michael, who was more interested in art but was pushed to Wrestling. After my research, there was also another kid - Chris - who killed himself. WTF.

8,5/10 and should be in the mix for best picture.

Saw this movie this past Sunday and I thought it was a great film. Very tragic story and that ending and last line couple of lines with Kevin and his sons got to me.

Just finished watching.

Wow. just wow. This film will stay with me for a long time.

I agree with the other posters on here that Chris not being part of the movie was a downside but I get why they have to cut him out of the movie. And as a Ric Flair fan, I didn't think the actor was able to fully copy how he delivers promos but again that's inconsequential

On the superficial side of my appreciation, I'd rather Colt McCallaney win awards for this role than RDJ (and i like the latter's performance in Oppenheimer)

Just finished watching.

Wow. just wow. This film will stay with me for a long time.

I agree with the other posters on here that Chris not being part of the movie was a downside but I get why they have to cut him out of the movie. And as a Ric Flair fan, I didn't think the actor was able to fully copy how he delivers promos but again that's inconsequential

On the superficial side of my appreciation, I'd rather Colt McCallaney win awards for this role than RDJ (and i like the latter's performance in Oppenheimer)
I think that in a weaker year McCallany would have gotten in there. Possibly Efron for Best Actor as well and maybe even a Best Picture nom. For what it's worth, even though I thought the movie actually could have been a little longer for more character development, I'd still have rather seen it get a Best Picture nomination over Maestro.

I think that in a weaker year McCallany would have gotten in there. Possibly Efron for Best Actor as well and maybe even a Best Picture nom. For what it's worth, even though I thought the movie actually could have been a little longer for more character development, I'd still have rather seen it get a Best Picture nomination over Maestro.
Oh yeah, forgot about Maestro being nominated. I like Maestro's technical brilliance (Libatique can do no wrong) but yeah, I'd say Iron Claw should be nominated instead of Maestro

Oh yeah, forgot about Maestro being nominated. I like Maestro's technical brilliance (Libatique can do no wrong) but yeah, I'd say Iron Claw should be nominated instead of Maestro
For sure. From a technical standpoint, Cooper did a brilliant job directing it. But from a story perspective it just felt like a clip show of Bernstein's life compared to the emotional journey that we go on with the Von Erichs in The Iron Claw.

I just finished watching it for the first time too. A very somber (duh) and well crafted film, but I have to say I was shockingly a little underwhelmed. I'm well aware about the Von Erichs and their story, but I feel like the film and its time jumps just breezed past a lot of the tragedies. And granted, they were grown but their parents failed them. Fritz was so passive aggressive and their mother was so cold.

However I will say:

The scene where Kerry goes to the afterlife and reunites with his brothers and the scene where Kevin is crying and his sons told him they'll be his brothers...

had me like:
giphy.gif

But great performances all around by everyone in the cast. Zac Efron should've got nominations for this.

I just finished watching it for the first time too. A very somber (duh) and well crafted film, but I have to say I was shockingly a little underwhelmed. I'm well aware about the Von Erichs and their story, but I feel like the film and its time jumps just breezed past a lot of the tragedies. And granted, they were grown but their parents failed them. Fritz was so passive aggressive and their mother was so cold.

However I will say:

The scene where Kerry goes to the afterlife and reunites with his brothers and the scene where Kevin is crying and his sons told him they'll be his brothers...

had me like:
View attachment 80311

But great performances all around by everyone in the cast. Zac Efron should've got nominations for this.
I really think the movie could have been 2 hours and 45 minutes. I could have endured another half hour of pain. :csad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"