Zack Snyder Reveals Watchmen Details

Well they would have to be be different. Just like Family Guy made changes in the "right areas" so they wouldn't be the exact same as The Simpsons.

The fact is journalists for newspapers and entertainment news publications watched the episode and wanted to bring this to light. Same with the borrowed popular X-Men story the next week. Yes everything is similiar these days with Heroes sounding like X-Men meets The 4400 but then there are things that are just too similiar.

Still every time when I log on and see new posts in this thread I hope its actual news only to see the old discussion is still going on:cmad: August can't get here fast enough.

Did any of you get the latest Wizard magazine? I won't be able to read it before a couple of weeks, so I was curious to know if Snyder says something new and interesting in the interview.

dude...they ripped it off...you cant really deny that. bad guy intended on having new york blow up, killing millions, in an attempt to untie the world in the aftermath. that's pretty f**king blatant.

Correction: he claims to want to unite the world in the aftermath. The future I saw wasn't exactly a happy place.

And unlike Watchmen, there was no huge, imminent threat that this destruction would prevent. What was Linderman trying to save the world from?

It seems to me like Linderman was going to use this to get his own man in the White House, where he could take his Company's goal of hunting down powered people to a public level. I mean, that's what the future goverment was doing, the same thing the Company did, only publicly.

when the hell do we get a watchmen forum? they're gonna be shooting in a few months!!!

Zack Snyder Reveals Watchmen Details - CGI Choices and More!

February 11, 2007
by Alex Billington

Fans of Watchmen unite - the project is finally moving along positively! Director Zack Snyder, who's currently out promoting his Spartan epic 300, answered some questions to press about the comic book adaptation. Zack started off by saying, “I feel like the movie is in a pretty cool place. I think the script is starting to become pretty cool.” He also added that “we're trying to get a budget together now” and “I've been drawing away, you know. I think it's coming along, so they say.” Zack also discussed the movie's setting and CGI choices.

Although he wouldn't reveal anything about the actors or who they might be, he did say that, “it's cool because in some ways you can get real actors, you don't have to go ‘Hollywood.’ ” And also about when production may start, stating “they have talked about maybe shooting in the summer” - which was also confirmed as a possibility at a later press conference by his wife, Deborah Snyder, who is an executive producer on both 300 and Watchmen.

Zack also says he's setting his film in 1985 and comments:

“There has been a push on I think everybody's… on the other scripts that exist about trying to update the movie or make it take place in present day, or things of that nature. I think that by setting the movie in ‘85, by having the Cold War, having Nixon, having all that stuff you reinvigorate what the story is about. It allows all the metaphors…”
“I think what Alan Moore has, in his book, the comic he's made about authority and government and all those things, they're big themes. Maybe if you make that movie right, [then] what that has to say makes people think about what's happening maybe now or in their own lives. That's my hope for what the movie can be.”
And finally, he discusses just how much CGI he may use:

“The idea of Watchmen is not to do a CGI movie, but to do it when it's necessary. Like when Doc Manhattan goes to Mars, there's an issue here, we've got to figure that out. We can't go to Mars, I know, a lot people are going to be disappointed by that - but I just don't have the money. Antarctica also, there's no Carnac built there. I know, again, we should probably build it and then go film it there, but I don't think they're going let us do that. So those two things right off the bat you can think about. Dr. Manhattan himself, what do you do, how do you make him - how do you render him. Rorschach's mask. There's things that have to be dealt with and figured out. But I think that the appetite for me is to make a movie that feel's more like Taxi Driver than like Fantastic Four, again. So it's a balance.”

Zack also says, “go see 300!” as the best way to help Watchmen (maybe even get a bigger budget) and includes that the studio doesn't “understand why it's not Fantastic Four. I have to remind them, I go, ‘look, it's much more Strangelove than Fantastic Four,’ which they don't like hearing.” So if you are a fan of Watchmen, go see 300, and stay tuned for what sounds like an incredible project that may be starting very soon.

source: http://www.firstshowing.net/2007/02/11/zack-snyder-watchmen/
Sounds like he's got the right attitude about it, which heartens me.
I'm just not sure Snyder is talented enough to pull off WATCHMEN. IT's only like one of the most revered comics EVER.

Sounds like he's got the right attitude about it, which heartens me.
I'm just not sure Snyder is talented enough to pull off WATCHMEN. IT's only like one of the most revered comics EVER.

300 showed Snyders ability to faithfully recreate still art into life.

Thats enough talent for me.

I've no doubt Snyder can bring the images to life if he gets his budget, but I am slightly worried that the story might not be done full justice.

Yes, he translated 300 well, but that wasn't much of a writing piece. Going from 300 to this is like going on opposite ends of an eating disorder. :o

:up:

But they'll probably wait until the movie gets the actual GO, because this movie is not at all locked yet unfortunately. I guess they're still tumbling around with the budget, the rating and whatever else makes Watchmen Watchmen...

Updates PLEEEEEASE!!!

300 showed Snyders ability to faithfully recreate still art into life.

Thats enough talent for me.
300 was cute. 300 was entertaining and campy and fun. 300 ? Watchmen. It'll take waaayyy more than what it took to make that to make Watchmen a convincing reality.

One thing I'm hoping for is that Snyder will take the visual style to a whole new level, like he did in 300, only this time make it seem as though Watchmen might have actually been shot in the '80s.

But then that wouldn't be taking the visuals to a new level, would it?

...It would be...taking them back.

But I really think Watchmen should be made to look that way, not completely hyper-realized like 300.

^^^

Good pont, I also think he should go with retromodern style as it's the best way how to show the atmosphere of the movie.

One thing I'm hoping for is that Snyder will take the visual style to a whole new level, like he did in 300, only this time make it seem as though Watchmen might have actually been shot in the '80s.

But then that wouldn't be taking the visuals to a new level, would it?

...It would be...taking them back.

But I really think Watchmen should be made to look that way, not completely hyper-realized like 300.

Yeah, the whole 80s-setting definitely makes it even harder and more expensive to realize. If they plan to shoot on location in Vancouver then that's a pretty big expense, I suppose.
This movie can't go below $100...

Well expenses must be made if the almighty Watchmen is going to be brought to the screen.

But yeah, a gritty '80s city look is definately the way to do it, I think.

300 was cute. 300 was entertaining and campy and fun. 300 ? Watchmen. It'll take waaayyy more than what it took to make that to make Watchmen a convincing reality.

Yes, I do not argue that. However to fully recreate the world of 300 is arguably just as, if not more, difficult than the world of the Watchmen.

The Watchmen is set in the real life - Snyder had to bend real life to correlate with the pages of the graphic novel. His test footage shows that he can capture that tone the movie warrants.

Yes, I do not argue that. However to fully recreate the world of 300 is arguably just as, if not more, difficult than the world of the Watchmen.

The Watchmen is set in the real life - Snyder had to bend real life to correlate with the pages of the graphic novel. His test footage shows that he can capture that tone the movie warrants.

Please direct me to said test footage so I may see for myself

I've no doubt Snyder can bring the images to life if he gets his budget, but I am slightly worried that the story might not be done full justice.

Yes, he translated 300 well, but that wasn't much of a writing piece. Going from 300 to this is like going on opposite ends of an eating disorder. :o

so, which one is bulimia? :dry:

It would be cool if they can sneak a shot of the Gastown steam clock.

GastownSteamClock.jpg

^^^

I think he is a great choice. He isn't so tall and he has right face and what is the most important, he's talented actor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"