Zod: Dictator or General?

sabetoonth

Where You Get Those Eyes?
Reaction score
In the film Man of Steel was Zod a dictator or a general leading a small army?

My bother and I have been having this argument and cannot reach an agreement nor are we willing to compromise.

General Zod never set up a government on Earth or on Krypton. On his planet he attempted to stage a coup but was unsuccessful.

However he als had total power the Kryptonians who followed him in regards to being a leader.

I'm only giving a little information here to see what you guys have to say on this with your own opinions and sources etc. as to why he was one or the other.

I say a general wanting to become dictator.

C. Lee's hit it on the head for me. That's his schtick. Zod is one of those villains that wants control, to be the one to mold and shape society as he sees fit. It all starts though with his military background as his powerbase.

C. Lee's hit it on the head for me. That's his schtick. Zod is one of those villains that wants control, to be the one to mold and shape society as he sees fit. It all starts though with his military background as his powerbase.

Pretty much the story of every dictator on the planet.

Pretty much the story of every dictator on the planet.

And beyond it would seem. I think an interesting change of pace would be doing an Alexander the Great type of conqueror. Imagine a space dictator type that has planets and other space fairing societies clamoring to actually join with him? One rule of law and order in the cosmos that is actually beneficial, side stepping of course the legitimate libertarian counter argument, it's been shown in our actual history that those sort of visionary autocrats, especially those that are in the thick of it when it comes to conquest and not just hiding out for from the front lines, can be inspiring figures in their own way. Sure, it's easy to stand up and fight Darkseid.

We all know he's coming to crush individuality and enslave us. What about a conqueror type that promises to actually improve things for Earth? To raise all standards of living, improve medical technology and the like? One that is going to come to the JLA/AVENGERS teams with the question "are you going to stand in the way of true peace and prosperity for the people of Earth?" Like I said, it's still an all powerful dictator, but if he actually means that it's an inherently sticky wicket for the superhero set. It would make for some great drama too I'd think.

The people following Zod are fellow soldiers. They are his unit(plus some scientists) under his command. Clearly he didn't have all the soldiers. He also clearly is not a dictator because he failed in his coup and being in control of his unit is not the same as being in control over a state or country. A gang leader isn't a dictator just because he has like 20 men under his command.

Basically by definition Zod is not a Dictator. But he is clearly a general.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannnnman
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"