• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Early Man of Steel treatment significantly different from final cut

Ozymandias

The World's Smartest Man
Reaction score
I haven't seen a topic about this, so I'm hoping this hasn't been posted elsewhere. There's an article up on HitFix that details an early treatment for Man of Steel: http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/we-take-a-closer-look-at-an-early-treatment-of-man-of-steel-to-see-what-might-have-been/1

There's a lot of changes made to the final cut that I like, particularly the handling of Zod and Lois. But it would have been nice to have more of Clark the journalist and his "need to save random people" during the battles in Smallville and Metropolis. Here's a summary of the plot that I've copied and pasted from Collider:

• The treatment still opens on Krypton, but under very different circumstances. Zod’s army is seen on a battlefield trying to break defensive lines held by Jor-El. Zod is trying to destroy Krypton because he believes his people would be better served terraforming a new planet that has been discovered (Earth) and moving all Kryptonians there.
  • Zod and Jor-El have a fight sequence at the power plant (where Zod is trying to enact his plan), and while Zod wins the battle, he is quickly arrested and sent to the Phantom Zone.
  • Faora is now Zod’s wife, and while she is indeed punished, she is not sent to the Phantom Zone.
  • Jor-El goes back to try and reverse Zod’s actions, but the planet is already doomed and he ends up being targeted by the Kryptonian government as a suspected loyal to Zod.
  • Seeing that he cannot convince the Kryptonians otherwise, Jor-El sends his son to Earth.
  • Faora ends up stealing a spaceship to escape Krypton’s destruction.
  • After Krypton explodes and we see baby Kal-El heading to Earth, the film cuts to the adult Clark Kent working on the oil rig seen in the film. He saves people from disaster, just as in Man of Steel, but this time as an employee of the rig.
  • Kent is working as a freelance journalist in the treatment, and goes home to see his parents, who are both alive at this point.
  • While going through mail at his parents’ home, Clark receives a job offer for the Daily Planet.
  • The treatment actually shows Kent shaving using his heat vision bounced off a mirror.
  • There’s a tornado sequence in Smallville in which Clark flies around and saves everyone, using his superbreath to blow the tornado out. Jonathan Kent does not die here, and is instead proud of his son’s heroic display.
  • Jonathan Kent tells adult Clark about the ship in the barn, which Clark has known about for a long time but has thus far been too scared to confront.
  • The ship in the barn becomes the “Fortress of Solitude,” as it opens upon Clark approaching it to reveal Jor-El’s lab—though only Clark can see it. He is presented with a message from both of his parents and also sees the final moments of Krypton play out. At the end of the presentation, Clark is given the suit, at which point he has an emotional breakdown.
  • Clark’s “turning on” of the ship again sends out a distress beacon, which was outfitted by Jor-El to be a beacon for any surviving Kryptonians to come and find Clark. Hearing this, Faora wakes from her hypersleep and sets out for Earth.
  • The film’s Lois Lane is annoyed by the freelancer Clark Kent, because he scoops her on a big story. She is assigned to cover the grand opening of the Metropolis/Gotham rail link (Batman reference!), which leads to a major action sequence in which Clark and Lois are both on the train (branded with a LEXCORP logo) when it suddenly goes out of control. Clark rips his clothes off to reveal the Superman suit and proceeds to save everyone from the train before seeking out the people who sabotaged it in the first place.
  • People take photos and video of Clark saving everyone on the train, which is how the alien storyline comes into play. Lois’ father, military official General Sam Lane, is instantly worried about this “super-powered threat.”
  • Lois coins the term “Superman” in the Daily Planet when writing about the train crash.
  • Faora crash-lands in Smallville and, after healing from the sun, rampages through the town until she finds Kal-El’s ship and activates the Phantom Zone generator that brings Zod to Earth via portal. He is badly wounded from the Phantom Zone, but the Earth’s sun heals him.
  • Faora and Zod use the ship’s computer to download a full understanding of English.
  • Jonathan Kent encourages Clark to go after the Kryptonians and save Earth. No apprehensiveness about his son’s abilities here.
  • The fight on the Smallville street remains intact, but it’s different in that Faora recognizes Superman’s need to save random citizens from distress so she keeps distracting him by attacking bystanders. Superman is then seen going off to rescue strangers before continuing his fight with Faora.
  • During the Smallville fight, Superman almost defeats a very weakened Zod, but has to leave in order to save the town from a giant fire Faora has created.
  • Jonathan dies from the collateral damage that Faora has done in Smallville.
  • While recuperating, Zod becomes furious that Faora is more powerful than him, and after blaming her for him being sent to the Phantom Zone, proceeds to kill her.
  • Lois’ father General Lane continues to believe that Superman is a threat and thinks he is part of the invasion force. He’s essentially a more fully-formed version of Christopher Meloni’s character.
  • While working on a story about the Smallville attack, Lois stays at the Kent’s farm and consoles Clark following his father’s death. She is never suspicious that he might be Superman.
  • General Lane sets up a command post in Metropolis in the hopes of attracting Zod and Superman. Zod appears in the city ready to fight, and after a military attack Superman shows up to battle Zod. No World Engine mumbo jumbo.
  • Zod and Superman proceed to fight, but when Zod starts attacking citizens, Superman takes off away from the city in order to minimize collateral damage (Interesting…).
  • During the fight, Lois Lane recruits a young boy named Jimmy Olsen to snap pictures.
  • Zod eventually brings the fight back to Smallville, where Superman opens a portal using his old ship in order to send Zod back to the Phantom Zone. Zod is not killed. Though Clark decides to destroy the ship, Martha convinces him it’s his last link to his people so he moves it to the Arctic.
  • After the battle, General Lane picks up “alien metals and small shards of green rock” from the wreckage (Kryptonite). He is then seen talking on the phone to a visible Lex Luthor, who asks Lane to send the materials to his office for analysis.
  • At the end of the film, Superman writes an open letter to Earth telling them the truth about himself and his home planet, and Clark returns to the Daily Planet. Lois does not find out that Clark is Superman.

That was fan fic, I remember back when it first got out

holy sh** that sounds a lot better than the movie we got imo. If it played out like that I think most of my complaints about MoS would be gone.

But some of it is stuff that would work in animation and comics not for a film and infact some of its lifted straight out of Superman TAS. Personally I think it's too generic.

the only thing that sounds overly cartoonish is the superbreath. But to each his own

But some of it is stuff that would work in animation and comics not for a film and infact some of its lifted straight out of Superman TAS. Personally I think it's too generic.

As I think Superman TAS is one of the best superhero cartoons ever made(easily my favorite from the DC side of things, at least) I don't have an issue with it at all.

The Lois doesn't know he's Superman might annoy the folks who think it makes her look like a moron but to me that's just part of Superman's mythos and I have no problem with it due to that. The only part I didn't like was Zod being jealous that Faora was more powerful than him(presumably because she's had longer to be exposed to earth's sun) and then kills her. He comes off as a moron who doesn't realize the disparity was only a temporary situation anyway.

But other than that I think this would make a better film than what we got.

As I think Superman TAS is one of the best superhero cartoons ever made(easily my favorite from the DC side of things, at least) I don't have an issue with it at all.

The Lois doesn't know he's Superman might annoy the folks who think it makes her look like a moron but to me that's just part of Superman's mythos and I have no problem with it due to that. The only part I didn't like was Zod being jealous that Faora was more powerful than him(presumably because she's had longer to be exposed to earth's sun) and then kills her. He comes off as a moron who doesn't realize the disparity was only a temporary situation anyway.

If this story was made (with your zod killing faora part taken out), it would have been an instant classic... maybe for MOS 2, they should have fans write the outline of the story... then have a bunch of fans/critics/regular folks watch the cuts before making the final cut... make it like an open source project!!!

Agreed

The Lois doesn't know he's Superman might annoy the folks who think it makes her look like a moron but to me that's just part of Superman's mythos and I have no problem with it due to that.
It's weird to me seeing so many turn against that part of the mythos after MoS came out

I love Superman TAS but some of what worked on there wouldn't work on a film that's all I was saying. Infact STAS is my favourite interpretation of the character ever.

And hey of some people think this would be better than what we got to each their own.

If this story was made (with your zod killing faora part taken out), it would have been an instant classic... maybe for MOS 2, they should have fans write the outline of the story... then have a bunch of fans/critics/regular folks watch the cuts before making the final cut... make it like an open source project!!!
lololololololololol

lololololololololol

Laugh all you want :woot:

But I think an open source project might work... (not totally open source, even software is not totally open source)..

more like WB being the project manager, but parts of the project is open source.. like the story part... and then WB takes the best bit out and compile them into the finished product (much like google does with Android)... and then there needs to be the testing phase... that part includes critics/fans/ga

I personally think this might work... heck, open source have worked wonders for so many things... even writers are incorporating it into their books more andmore now...

holy sh** that sounds a lot better than the movie we got imo. If it played out like that I think most of my complaints about MoS would be gone.

:up:

Some of it does sound better than what we got in MOS, I agree. I liked the journalistic Clark. That is never even touched on in MOS. It's just some job he takes at the end, not something he was working towards. That bothered me. He has no journalistic skills as far as we know, but the man can fly so, granted, he probably doesn't have to try very hard to have the skills necessary to be a good reporter.

Too bad it's fake though. I knew that as soon as I hit this thread. :-/

Personally, I thnk this was all just early speculation. I'm gonna put green for what I think should have made the final cut, purple for something with a 50/50 chance of working, and red for a negative change.

QUOTE=Ozymandias;26185151]I haven't seen a topic about this, so I'm hoping this hasn't been posted elsewhere. There's an article up on HitFix that details an early treatment for Man of Steel: http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/we-take-a-closer-look-at-an-early-treatment-of-man-of-steel-to-see-what-might-have-been/1

There's a lot of changes made to the final cut that I like, particularly the handling of Zod and Lois. But it would have been nice to have more of Clark the journalist and his "need to save random people" during the battles in Smallville and Metropolis. Here's a summary of the plot that I've copied and pasted from Collider:

• The treatment still opens on Krypton, but under very different circumstances. Zod’s army is seen on a battlefield trying to break defensive lines held by Jor-El. Zod is trying to destroy Krypton because he believes his people would be better served terraforming a new planet that has been discovered (Earth) and moving all Kryptonians there.

[*]Zod and Jor-El have a fight sequence at the power plant (where Zod is trying to enact his plan), and while Zod wins the battle, he is quickly arrested and sent to the Phantom Zone.

[*]Faora is now Zod’s wife, and while she is indeed punished, she is not sent to the Phantom Zone.

[*]Jor-El goes back to try and reverse Zod’s actions, but the planet is already doomed and he ends up being targeted by the Kryptonian government as a suspected loyal to Zod.

[*]Seeing that he cannot convince the Kryptonians otherwise, Jor-El sends his son to Earth.

[*]Faora ends up stealing a spaceship to escape Krypton’s destruction.

[*]After Krypton explodes and we see baby Kal-El heading to Earth, the film cuts to the adult Clark Kent working on the oil rig seen in the film. He saves people from disaster, just as in Man of Steel, but this time as an employee of the rig.

[*]Kent is working as a freelance journalist in the treatment, and goes home to see his parents, who are both alive at this point.

[*]While going through mail at his parents’ home, Clark receives a job offer for the Daily Planet.

[*]The treatment actually shows Kent shaving using his heat vision bounced off a mirror.

[*]There’s a tornado sequence in Smallville in which Clark flies around and saves everyone, using his superbreath to blow the tornado out. Jonathan Kent does not die here, and is instead proud of his son’s heroic display.
    What is this, the Silver age?
  • Jonathan Kent tells adult Clark about the ship in the barn, which Clark has known about for a long time but has thus far been too scared to confront. Why wait so long?
  • The ship in the barn becomes the “Fortress of Solitude,” as it opens upon Clark approaching it to reveal Jor-El’s lab—though only Clark can see it. He is presented with a message from both of his parents and also sees the final moments of Krypton play out. At the end of the presentation, Clark is given the suit, at which point he has an emotional breakdown. I prefer the arctic scout ship, but this looks interesting.

[*]Clark’s “turning on” of the ship again sends out a distress beacon, which was outfitted by Jor-El to be a beacon for any surviving Kryptonians to come and find Clark. Hearing this, Faora wakes from her hypersleep and sets out for Earth.
  • The film’s Lois Lane is annoyed by the freelancer Clark Kent, because he scoops her on a big story. She is assigned to cover the grand opening of the Metropolis/Gotham rail link (Batman reference!), which leads to a major action sequence in which Clark and Lois are both on the train (branded with a LEXCORP logo) when it suddenly goes out of control. Clark rips his clothes off to reveal the Superman suit and proceeds to save everyone from the train before seeking out the people who sabotaged it in the first place. Sounds like a different movie.
  • People take photos and video of Clark saving everyone on the train, which is how the alien storyline comes into play. Lois’ father, military official General Sam Lane, is instantly worried about this “super-powered threat.”
    I LIKE this. It show's Superman's notoriety, but also the general human paranoia.
    [*]Lois coins the term “Superman” in the Daily Planet when writing about the train crash.
    Done before.
  • Faora crash-lands in Smallville and, after healing from the sun, rampages through the town until she finds Kal-El’s ship and activates the Phantom Zone generator that brings Zod to Earth via portal. He is badly wounded from the Phantom Zone, but the Earth’s sun heals him.

[*]Faora and Zod use the ship’s computer to download a full understanding of English.
    I like this better.

[*]Jonathan Kent encourages Clark to go after the Kryptonians and save Earth. No apprehensiveness about his son’s abilities here.

Nice, but I don't think that's realistic.
    [*]The fight on the Smallville street remains intact, but it’s different in that Faora recognizes Superman’s need to save random citizens from distress so she keeps distracting him by attacking bystanders. Superman is then seen going off to rescue strangers before continuing his fight with Faora.
    It's been done before, but I'd like to see a varation on this.
  • During the Smallville fight, Superman almost defeats a very weakened Zod, but has to leave in order to save the town from a giant fire Faora has created.
  • Jonathan dies from the collateral damage that Faora has done in Smallville. I wouldn't mind him dying later in life, or not at all. But this puts revenge as a motivator for stopping Zod and co.
  • While recuperating, Zod becomes furious that Faora is more powerful than him, and after blaming her for him being sent to the Phantom Zone, proceeds to kill her.

Lame. It reduces Zod to an egomaniac.
  • Lois’ father General Lane continues to believe that Superman is a threat and thinks he is part of the invasion force. He’s essentially a more fully-formed version of Christopher Meloni’s character.

I like Chris Meloni's character, but I'd also want to see a more cynical person as well. This has interesting character dynamics.
  • While working on a story about the Smallville attack, Lois stays at the Kent’s farm and consoles Clark following his father’s death. She is never suspicious that he might be Superman.

I prefer her knowing.
  • General Lane sets up a command post in Metropolis in the hopes of attracting Zod and Superman. Zod appears in the city ready to fight, and after a military attack Superman shows up to battle Zod. No World Engine mumbo jumbo.

Like we intentionally bait terrorists on our soil.

[*]Zod and Superman proceed to fight, but when Zod starts attacking citizens, Superman takes off away from the city in order to minimize collateral damage (Interesting…).

And Zod chases him? I prefer him to rescue more citizens during the final fight, but want the movie to show that Zod would rather kill humans to torment Supes emotionally.

• During the fight, Lois Lane recruits a young boy named Jimmy Olsen to snap pictures.

I like Olsen, but this seems weird to me.
  • Zod eventually brings the fight back to Smallville, where Superman opens a portal using his old ship in order to send Zod back to the Phantom Zone. Zod is not killed. Though Clark decides to destroy the ship, Martha convinces him it’s his last link to his people so he moves it to the Arctic.

I prefer the fight ending on Smallville. I also don't like the idea of Supes destroying the birthing chamber, though it shows his dedication to humanity.

[*]After the battle, General Lane picks up “alien metals and small shards of green rock” from the wreckage (Kryptonite). He is then seen talking on the phone to a visible Lex Luthor, who asks Lane to send the materials to his office for analysis.
    I don't want Kryptonite in MOS. Maybe the sequel.
    [*]At the end of the film, Superman writes an open letter to Earth telling them the truth about himself and his home planet, and Clark returns to the Daily Planet. Lois does not find out that Clark is Superman.
[/QUOTE] It's the old movie all over again here!

So yes, I think there are more good changes than negative ones, but I feel like some really great moments were lost.

Last edited:
Yeah, that'll never happen.

Never say never.. in fact, I'll bet before long we'll start to see movies made this way... Already have 'crowd funding movies', authors using such techniques, next up movies.. :oldrazz:

One thing I learned is that if the tech is there, it'll be used, sooner or later... people who thinks otherwise is usually proven wrong...

8 years ago, i was totally argueing with people on forums about using solar panels to solve our energy problems... the points were:

1. Solar was too expensive (of which I said, if mass adoption is taken, mass production will reduce it to a fraction of the cost, which came true, it was $5-$8/watt then, and now down to 40cents/watt, which translate to cheaper than coal today.

And of course even now that it's cheaper than Coal, our governments still dragging their feet (between having really stupid, scientifically illiterate politicians and corrupted ones).

Imagine this:

The cost of the Iraq war could buy these:

1. Every home in the US a solar roof (including installation)

50,000,000 x 15K (say a 10KW system, cost of materials = $5K, installation at most 10K) = 750 Billion Dollars (much less than the war)

2. Give everyone free education (do the math)

3. Buy everyone an electric car (do the math)

etc...

Does anyone know where this fan fiction originated?

The treatment is more of what alot fans wanted ,which was a basic rehash of what we've gotten before in Smalliville and various other versions of Superman.

However , if you're creating a new vision of the myths and trying to do take things in a new direction , then this wasn't the script to make imo. The final film actually feels more Nolan and Snyder-like , where as this first draft feels like Goyer sticking closer to the comics and other live action versions we've seen.

Assuming these details are true, to me it's a very mixed bag. Some changes sound great while others sound horrible. I don't really know if I would have liked this more than what we got; I do know that I'm really pleased with what we got though.

The treatment is more of what alot fans wanted ,which was a basic rehash of what we've gotten before in Smalliville and various other versions of Superman.

However , if you're creating a new vision of the myths and trying to do take things in a new direction , then this wasn't the script to make imo. The final film actually feels more Nolan and Snyder-like , where as this first draft feels like Goyer sticking closer to the comics and other live action versions we've seen.

Sticking to the comics isn't BAD, though. But having elements that felt like they could have belong to previous incarnations IS.

I prefer the Zod and Faora of MOS filmed. I like the journalistic Clark of the early script better.

I am interested in how MOS came out so different.

:up:

Some of it does sound better than what we got in MOS, I agree. I liked the journalistic Clark. That is never even touched on in MOS. It's just some job he takes at the end, not something he was working towards. That bothered me. He has no journalistic skills as far as we know, but the man can fly so, granted, he probably doesn't have to try very hard to have the skills necessary to be a good reporter.

Too bad it's fake though. I knew that as soon as I hit this thread. :-/

I think MOS was trying to subvert the drawn-out-origin and Metropolis reporter storyline in order to be really unique. I think that's a part of its overall flaws. It could have used a more conventional Begins-style narrative.

MOS2 should be amazing, because in order to be different from the first film, they would have to create a more character-driven narrative. Most sequels tend to be more about creating interesting plots for the character to be a part of, or remaking the first installment. But a truly character driven sequel can expand on the ideas and people involved while allowing for interweaving storylines to take place.

MOS2 should be the Spider-Man 2 of the 2010s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannnnman
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"