2009 NCAA Football Thread: Revenge of the Computer Polls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gilbert looked prettuy good.

That was almost the greates comeback of all time.

I don't know who I felt worse for Colt who was knocked out of the biggest game of his life or the freshman qb who looked like a deer in headlights.

All I know is if Alabama had played like that against Florida the SEC champ would be different.

Also almost forgot Levitt has been fired from USF earlier this morning let the speculation begin on his replacement.

Tommy Tuberville, though I would prefer Dan McCarney, Florida's D-Line coordinator, mainly because I don't think he is as good as Tuberville (good for a UCF Knight) and it would take away even more coaches from Florida (good for UGA).

Many message boarders I've seen believe Tuberville is bound for TX Tech..

Message Boarders typically flock to proven names.

I ask you, if you were Tuberville would you chose USF, knowing that: you would be the most decorated coach in your conference, in the most talented state (for recruits) n the conference, meaning that you have no reason not to be confident in believing you would be a perennial BCS Bowl team.

Or

Texas Tech where you would be competing against Bob Stoops, Mack Brown and Bo Pelini in a second tier program in-conference team?

Who could have thought a few months ago that College Football could lose Urban Meyer and Pete Carroll in the same year?

I could see names such as Chris Peterson, Kirk Ferentz, Gary Patterson, Lane Kiffin and Steve Sarkisian come up at USC. Also like for the usual suspects: Tommy Tuberville (if he does not get the Texas Tech job) and Phil Fulmer.

As for possible replacements for Pete Carroll? I expect the names of Lane Kiffin and Steve Sarkisian to be brought up as well as the usual suspects: Terry Bowden, Tommy Tuberville, Phil Fulmer

I could see names such as Chris Peterson, Kirk Ferentz, Gary Patterson, Lane Kiffin and Steve Sarkisian come up at USC. Also like for the usual suspects: Tommy Tuberville (if he does not get the Texas Tech job) and Phil Fulmer.

If I was USC, Chris Peterson would be MY number one choice. I don't think it will happen, mainly because I think Peterson likes being in Boise. He could have made a lot more money somewhere else if he wanted to, but he choose to sign a new five year contract just a few weeks ago. I think this is a man who is content with the money he is making and loves being where he is. Boise is a passion to him, not a launching pad.

Looking at the Pete Carroll coaching tree, Kiffin and Sarkisian are the two obvious names. If I was USC, Sarkisian would be my 1b to Peterson's 1a. You would have the perfect heir apparent to Carroll who now had a good (not great) year at Washington.

What's very interesting is that Jake Locker has announced he would not leave for the NFL this year. A big part of that was Steve Sarkisian. If Carroll does leave for Seattle, it will take some time (they have to interview a minority coach). Then, once Carroll is gone, the USC head coaching search will take sometime. If Sarkisian decides to leave Washington for USC after January 15th, Jake Locker will not be able to enter the NFL draft.

I don't think Kiffin will leave Tennessee, but it's certainly possible. I am not sure USC would want Kiffin though. Unlike Tennessee (who spent the decade as the third wheel in the SEC East with lagging recruiting) they don't need the circus Kiffin has (masterfully) orchestrated in Knoxville.

The Dark Horse from the Pete Carroll coaching tree is Nick Holt. He was LB's coach for Carroll 01-03, he went on to be Head Coach for Idaho (5-18 in two years), decided to leave Idaho after being offered a position with the St. Louis Rams as DL Coach but before signing a contract, the Rams were outbid by Pete Carroll. He was USC's defensive coordinator before last year when Sarkisian gave him a raise to fill the same role at Washington. I don't think Holt is a big enough profile to fill Carroll's shoes - but if USC wants to maintain consistency after Carroll, he could be an option.

Outside of the Carroll coaching tree, Tuberville is good enough to coach USC - but I don't know if he has the personality to mesh well with the culture over there.

I don't think Fulmer is a good fit there either (I would kinda be surprised if he coached anywhere after Tennessee) and Tommy Bowden isn't qualified to write a letter to USC about the job.

Kirk Ferentz would be a VERY interesting choice. He has routinely been a college coach mentioned for an NFL job, his Orange Bowl win certainly helps him. I think he would be a good fit.

John Fox is another coach I think could work for USC. He only has one year left in Carolina and his future is very shaky there.

Looking at other NFL coaches with questionable futures, Jack Del Rio is a former USC star. I am sure the Jaguars would LOVE a chance to get rid of Del Rio without having to pay him 15 million dollars. He is a quality coach in a bad situation who out performed his talent in 2009. If I was USC, he would be high on my list.

Peter King mentioned Mike Riley of Oregon State as a likely replacement for Carroll.

Welp, looks like Pete Carroll is going on the run to be Seattle's new coach..http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footba...AjCNKzQYWHhhr0Y22daSkLk5nYcB?urn=ncaaf,212613

ESPN says Tuberville to TX Tech..http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4811310

Tuberville is a good hire. Better to get him locked down now that other, more attractive jobs, are open.

Peter King mentioned Mike Riley of Oregon State as a likely replacement for Carroll.

Riley would be a great choice, though (for sentimental reasons) I wish he would stay at Oregon State.

Jack Del Rio is the sexiest pick, IMO.

good move for Tuberville....his following will certainly help the programs exposure as well

The San Diego Union-Tribune's Jay Posner didn't like Brent Musburger's call of the BCS National Championship Game.

ABC missed key point at end of BCS title game so says Pete Dougherty of the Albany Times Union.

Jon Solomon of the Birmingham (AL) News was happy to have ESPN/ABC producing the BCS National Championship Game instead of Fox.

The Houston Chronicle's David Barron says when ESPN takes over the BCS next year, viewership could be hurt as not as many homes have cable.

Georgia has made an offer to Kirby Smart to be their defensive coordinator.

Now if only O'leary would get fired from UCF my Knights could get better!

Who wants to jump on the mike Leach to South Florida bandwagon? We'll start it right here! Anyone? Anyone?

Seeing Ramore's signature reminds me. The Senior Bowl announced Tim Tebow was coming to play last Friday. Saturday set a single day record for ticket sales. It was, however, a short lived record which was broken on Sunday. Love him or hate him, the man is a box office draw.

Welp, looks like Pete Carroll is going on the run to be Seattle's new coach..http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footba...AjCNKzQYWHhhr0Y22daSkLk5nYcB?urn=ncaaf,212613

ESPN says Tuberville to TX Tech..http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4811310

I really hate the fact that Carroll is leaving USC, but I guess the huge guaranteed money offered by Paul Allen is too good to pass up, not to mention that he'll get some front office control over there. Besides, it's the NFC West, so even though Seahawks probably won't win the division, they'll be somewhat competitive. Even if this doesn't work out, Carroll will have enough to retire after 60, or go back to NCAA where many colleges will be vying for his service. It's a win-win for Carroll, although USC obviously loses out. In addition to Carroll, they will need to fill several coordinators' jobs since some of them will leave with Carroll to Seattle, and now the freshman recruits may or may not all sign with USC.

Who wants to jump on the mike Leach to South Florida bandwagon? We'll start it right here! Anyone? Anyone?

USF won't hire a coach accused of player mistreatment after just firing a coach accused of player mistreatment. Even though Leach may be innocent, I don't think USF wants that public image fiasco, which is why they won't sign someone like Leach or Mangino.

USF won't hire a coach accused of player mistreatment after just firing a coach accused of player mistreatment. Even though Leach may be innocent, I don't think USF wants that public image fiasco, which is why they won't sign someone like Leach or Mangino.
While I agree they won't hire Leach (my post was a joke), from what I've seen they fired Levitt for trying to cover it up, not for the act itsself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Francuz231
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"