92nd Annual Academy Awards

Kane52630

T-800 User
Reaction score
p1ctfe4.jpg

I thought I get the early jump on next year's circus show.

Here's some noteworthy movies coming this year...

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
A faded TV actor and his stunt double strive to achieve fame and success in the film industry during the final years of the Hollywood Golden Age in 1969 Los Angeles.
Director: Quentin Tarantino
Stars: Margot Robbie, Leonardo DiCaprio, Brad Pitt

The Goldfinch
A boy in New York is taken in by a wealthy Upper East Side family after his mother is killed in a bombing at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
Director: John Crowley
Stars: Ansel Elgort, Nicole Kidman, Sarah Paulson, Finn Wolfhard

The Irishman
A mob hitman recalls his possible involvement with the slaying of Jimmy Hoffa.
Director: Martin Scorsese
Stars: Robert De Niro, Joe Pesci, Al Pacino

Queen & Slim
A couple's first date takes an unexpected turn when a police officer pulls them over.
Director: Melina Matsoukas
Stars: Daniel Kaluuya, Jodie Turner-Smith, Bokeem Woodbine

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
After a jaded magazine writer is assigned a profile of Fred Rogers, he overcomes his skepticism, learning about empathy, kindness, and decency from America's most beloved neighbor.
Director: Marielle Heller
Stars: Tom Hanks, Susan Kelechi Watson, Matthew Rhys

Little Women
Four sisters come of age in America in the aftermath of the Civil War.
Director: Greta Gerwig
Stars: Florence Pugh, Timothée Chalamet, Saoirse Ronan, Emma Watson

Cats
A tribe of cats called the Jellicles must decide yearly which one will ascend to the Heaviside Layer and come back to a new Jellicle life.
Director: Tom Hooper
Stars: Taylor Swift, Rebel Wilson, Idris Elba, Judi Dench

Harriet
Based on the story of iconic freedom fighter Harriet Tubman, her escape from slavery and subsequent missions to free dozens of slaves through the Underground Railroad in the face of growing pre-Civil War adversity.
Director: Kasi Lemmons
Stars: Cynthia Erivo, Joe Alwyn, Janelle Monáe

The film will be set in 1917 during World War I.
Director: Sam Mendes
Stars: Dean-Charles Chapman, George MacKay

Lucy In The Sky
The story of a female astronaut who, upon returning to Earth from a life-changing mission in space, begins to slowly unravel and lose touch with reality.
Director: Noah Hawley
Stars: Natalie Portman, Zazie Beetz, Jon Hamm

Ad Astra
Astronaut Roy McBride travels to the outer edges of the solar system to find his missing father and unravel a mystery that threatens the survival of our planet.
Director: James Gray
Stars: Brad Pitt, Tommy Lee Jones, Ravi Kapoor

Us
A family's serenity turns to chaos when a group of doppelgängers begin to terrorize them.
Director: Jordan Peele
Stars: Lupita Nyong'o, Elisabeth Moss, Winston Duke

Fair and Balanced
A few women decide to take on Fox News boss Roger Ailes and the toxic male culture he presided over at the network.
Director: Jay Roach
Stars: Charlize Theron, Margot Robbie, Nicole Kidman, John Lithgow

The Current War
The dramatic story of the cutthroat race between electricity titans Thomas Edison and George Westinghouse to determine whose electrical system would power the modern world.
Director: Alfonso Gomez-Rejon
Stars: Nicholas Hoult, Benedict Cumberbatch, Michael Shannon, Tom Holland

Gloria Bell
A free-spirited woman in her 50s seeks out love at L.A. dance clubs.
Director: Sebastián Lelio
Stars: Julianne Moore, John Turturro, Michael Cera

Lucy and Desi
The life and career of television pioneer, Lucille Ball.
Director: TBA
Stars: Cate Blanchett

The Last Thing He Wanted
A journalist quits her newspaper job and becomes an arms dealer for a covert government agency.
Director: Dee Rees
Stars: Anne Hathaway, Ben Affleck, Willem Dafoe

The Personal History of David Copperfield
Based on the novel by Charles Dickens.
Director: Armando Iannucci
Stars: Gwendoline Christie, Tilda Swinton, Dev Patel

Hotel Mumbai
The true story of the Taj Hotel terrorist attack in Mumbai. Hotel staff risk their lives to keep everyone safe as people make unthinkable sacrifices to protect themselves and their families.
Director: Anthony Maras
Stars: Dev Patel, Armie Hammer, Nazanin Boniadi

The Lion King
CGI re-imagining of the 1994 Disney classic.
Director: Jon Favreau
Stars: Donald Glover, Beyonce, Seth Rogen

The Woman in the Window
An agoraphobic woman living alone in New York begins spying on her new neighbors only to witness a disturbing act of violence.
Director: Joe Wright
Stars: Amy Adams, Wyatt Russell, Gary Oldman

Judy
Legendary performer Judy Garland arrives in London in the winter of 1968 to perform a series of sold-out concerts.
Director: Rupert Goold
Stars: Renée Zellweger, Rufus Sewell, Finn Wittrock

The King
A film about King Henry V of England
Director: David Michôd
Stars: Timothée Chalamet, Ben Mendelsohn, Joel Edgerton

The Report

In the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks, CIA agents begin using extreme interrogation tactics on those they think were behind it.
Director: Scott Z. Burns
Stars: Adam Driver, Jon Hamm, Jennifer Morrison

Just Mercy
Just Mercy shadows world-renowned civil rights defense attorney Bryan Stevenson as he recounts his experiences and details the case of a condemned death row prisoner whom he fought to free.
Director: Destin Daniel Cretton
Stars: Michael B. Jordan, Brie Larson, Jamie Foxx

The Farewell
A Chinese family discover their grandmother has only a short while left to live and decide to keep her in the dark, scheduling a wedding to gather before she dies.
Director: Lulu Wang
Stars: Awkwafina, Tzi Ma, Jim Liu

The Laundromat
Follows a group of journalists who take part in unearthing 11.5 million files, linking the world's most powerful political figures to secret banking accounts to avoid taxes.
Director: Steven Soderbergh
Stars: Melissa Rauch, Gary Oldman, Meryl Streep

The Kitchen
The wives of New York gangsters in Hell's Kitchen in the 1970s continue to operate their husbands' rackets after they're locked up in prison.
Director: Andrea Berloff
Stars: Melissa McCarthy, Elisabeth Moss, Tiffany Haddish

Fonzo
The 47-year old Al Capone, after 10 years in prison, starts suffering from dementia, and comes to be haunted by his violent past.
Director: Josh Trank
Stars: Tom Hardy, Linda Cardellini, Matt Dillon

If there's anything I left off, please post it below.

Way too early to guess anything yet.

But if last year showed us anything, a host isn’t necessary.

On paper, The Irishman and especially OUATIH sounds like the big players and history suggests that we can't rule out Rocketman either. There's a case for Little Women (the entire cast + Greta sare indie darling catnip) but it bears the burden of being a remake (see ASIB).

It's looking like a strong year for female performances. We'll see...

Alita is definitely getting a nod for vfx.

Extremely early, but I figure Cynthia Erivo is a major contender for Harriet. Potential EGOT narrative there.

Also, three of the last nine Best Actor winners came from movies written by Anthony McCarten. Dude's on a serious roll, so keep an eye out for Jonathan Pryce or Anthony Hopkins for The Pope.

Extremely early, but I figure Cynthia Erivo is a major contender for Harriet. Potential EGOT narrative there.

Also, three of the last nine Best Actor winners came from movies written by Anthony McCarten. Dude's on a serious roll, so keep an eye out for Jonathan Pryce or Anthony Hopkins for The Pope.

He's writing the Lennon biopic too I think? I can imagine all the thirsty ones out there are already starting to try to snatch that role.

Leonardo DiCaprio also gunning for Oscar # 2.

That Tarantino's thing is gonna win everything. AMPAS clearly doesn't care about the outrage, Tarantino can slaughter Tate on screen in 20 minute long sequence and he is still getting 5+ Oscars for this

I do kinda hope it doesn’t present the Tate murders in graphic detail, but well, it’s cast all the victims and perpetrators.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood might even land Brad Pitt his first win.

Jojo Rabbit
A young boy in Hitler's army finds out his mother is hiding a Jewish girl in their home.
Director: Taika Waititi
Stars: Roman Griffin Davis, Thomasin McKenzie, Taika Waititi, Sam Rockwell, Scarlett Johansson

It's coming out this fall and it's being produced by Fox Searchlight.

If it is Once Upon a Time in Hollywood vs The Irishman at the Oscars, then it might seem like a return to form for what this award season used to be.

If The Irishman has young-looking Pacino croaking with old Pacino’s voice, that’s gonna be hard to take seriously.

Next years Oscars will probably have a host.
The ratings this were actually up this year. I think it’s something they should consider again.

Maybe bring out a comedian to do a few jokes like Fey, Poehler, and Rudolph did. But I’m ok with losing the bits about ordering food or gimmicks to keep the speeches short.

The Oscar host gig is like a prestige thing almost, mostly if you're young, and if they phase it out it's a big step.

It seems like they're actually going forward with the Best Popular Oscar.

It’s never too early to start the campaign!

If it is Once Upon a Time in Hollywood vs The Irishman at the Oscars, then it might seem like a return to form for what this award season used to be.

Yup. I also feel like OUATIH has the edge. These next five are locked for BP nom imo.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
The Irishman
Ad Astra
Lion King
Jo Jo Rabbit

p1ctfe4.jpg

I thought I get the early jump on next year's circus show.

Here's some noteworthy movies coming this year...

The Current War
The dramatic story of the cutthroat race between electricity titans Thomas Edison and George Westinghouse to determine whose electrical system would power the modern world.
Director: Alfonso Gomez-Rejon
Stars: Nicholas Hoult, Benedict Cumberbatch, Michael Shannon, Tom Holland

The Current War has 33% on RT and was made by The Weinstein Company. It won't be nominated for any Oscars.

The Current War (2017)

Also, that Portman movie ain't going to get nominated. Neither is that Chalamet King movie. I hear the script is just meh.

The Current War has 33% on RT and was made by The Weinstein Company. It won't be nominated for any Oscars.

The Current War (2017)

Lantern Entertainment picked it up and plans on releasing it in some way. And controversy didn't stop Bohemian Rhapsody from being nominated and win... and I believe that movie and Vice started in the rotten category on RT. Anything is still possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"