93rd Annual Academy Awards

I really wish the Academy would release the voting results for Best Picture because I wouldn’t be surprised if Green Book won due to vote splitting between two other nominees.

Roma was the big favorite of the year and would have probably won if Spielberg and other big Hollywood honchos hadn't gone on a crusade against Netflix.
That said, Green Book probably took advantage of its quaint anti-racist message which was inoffensive enough for the old white guys that still make up almost 70% of Academy's membership and probably thought that Spike Lee's Black Klansman was too "radical" for their tastes.

I think Green Book was a feel good movie that people generally liked. I mean, just look at its rottentomatoes and IMDb scores. It’s a good movie. But like Dances with Wolves compared to the films that year, it’s now crapped on for winning over the others. Forrest Gump to a lesser extent as well.

But I do love that the director of Dumb and Dumber has a Best Picture Oscar!

Roma was the big favorite of the year and would have probably won if Spielberg and other big Hollywood honchos hadn't gone on a crusade against Netflix.
That said, Green Book probably took advantage of its quaint anti-racist message which was inoffensive enough for the old white guys that still make up almost 70% of Academy's membership and probably thought that Spike Lee's Black Klansman was too "radical" for their tastes.
That's more than likely exactly what happened.

But I do love that the director of Dumb and Dumber has a Best Picture Oscar!
It was another Scorsese winning for the Departed situation, really. Just like the Academy finally gave him the Oscar after him not winning for Taxi Driver, Raging Bull or Goodfellas, Farrelly winning for Green Book was the Academy's way of saying "we messed up for not recognizing Dumb and Dumber all those years ago".

I really wish the Academy would release the voting results for Best Picture because I wouldn’t be surprised if Green Book won due to vote splitting between two other nominees.

I mean, I'm cynical enough to totally believe it won of its own right, but a vote count reveal would also show that if its the case.

I mean, I'm cynical enough to totally believe it won of its own right, but a vote count reveal would also show that if its the case.
Along those lines, I'd also be curious to see past controversial Oscar results such as how many votes Crash had over Brokeback Mountain or how many Shakespeare in Love had over Saving Private Ryan. Green Book winning was maybe unexpected but there wasn't outrage over it like those two. Though it's pretty accepted that Shakespeare in Love won mainly because Harvey Weinstein was lining pockets.

Oh, the Harvey Weinstein campaigning that year could make its own movie.

Weinstein strong-armed the movie’s talent into participating in an unprecedented blitzkrieg of press. “It all began with Harvey,” said one publicist with a client in the film. “I don’t remember ever feeling pressure like that from other studios. He was like, ‘Can you do these radio call-ins all morning?’ He calls the clients directly and guilts them. He really was kind of a beast.” Gill confirmed the studio’s reliance on relatively cheap publicity. “This was not saying to the stars, ‘O.K., you can go on a couple of talk shows to open the movie and do a weekend of interviews at a junket and thanks so much for helping,’” Gill said. “That was just ‘Good morning. You’ve got three more months of shaking hands and kissing babies in you.’”

“They tried to get everybody to believe that Saving Private Ryan was all in the first 15 minutes,” said Press. “I said [to Steven Spielberg], ‘Listen, this is what’s going on.’ Steven said to me, ‘I do not want you to get down in the mud with Harvey.’”

Shakespeare in Love and Harvey Weinstein’s Dark Oscar Victory

T
It was another Scorsese winning for the Departed situation, really. Just like the Academy finally gave him the Oscar after him not winning for Taxi Driver, Raging Bull or Goodfellas
This is the conventional wisdom. But I am going to push against it! Scorsese could've had 5 Oscar wins prior and I'd have still thought he should've won for THE DEPARTED. It wasn't a consolation prize; he deserved every ounce of that statue.

This is the conventional wisdom. But I am going to push against it! Scorsese could've had 5 Oscar wins prior and I'd have still thought he should've won for THE DEPARTED. It wasn't a consolation prize; he deserved every ounce of that statue.

What were the obvious superior films to THE DEPARTED that year? I'd say none.

Sure, it's not in Scorsese's top 5 or anything, but it doesn't appear to have robbed anyone. It was clearly the best of the BP nominees that also included Babel, The Queen, Little Miss Sunshine, and Letters from Iwo Jima. You could argue for Children of Men (which bombed at the box office) or Pan's Labyrinth (a foreign language film) I suppose, but they weren't able to break through into the BP or Director nominations.

The argument is really that Scorsese should have a least 2 more Oscars, not that he shouldn't have won for The Departed.

Oh I fully agree that The Departed was worthy, but they didn’t even try to hide that they were giving it to Scorsese since they had Spielberg, Coppola and Lucas come out to present him with the Best Director award. The other films that year never stood a chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"