92nd Annual Academy Awards

They're already pissed that Brie Larson was there. Nerds don't seem to get that they don't represent the whole of the movie going public.

If there is a downside of geekdom going mainstream, it is the sense of entitlement from the bad part of fandom.

They're already pissed that Brie Larson was there. Nerds don't seem to get that they don't represent the whole of the movie going public.
Those sorts of nerds don't seem to realize they don't even come close to representing the majority of nerds... The people losing their minds over the Parasite win has just made it more satisfactory. Although I could have done without discovering the Twitter feed of a legitimate black white supremacist....

Also, I have no idea how people can see the performances last night and still want to cut the musical acts.

Some guys get real uppity the second someone points out that maybe women and minorities should be afforded more opportunities in Hollywood. The operating word here being "opportunities," not "handed out jobs." It seems these guys have a hard time distinguishing between the two.

It's a defensiveness that frankly makes zero sense to me. For every one movie directed by a woman, you've got like twenty directed by white men. The scales are severely tipped in favor of one group. And people wonder why there's a representation issue at these awards ceremonies.

Somebody on Twitter said once it starts it'll never be enough for us. :o

Some guys get real uppity the second someone points out that maybe women and minorities should be afforded more opportunities in Hollywood. The operating word here being "opportunities," not "handed out jobs." It seems these guys have a hard time distinguishing between the two.

It's a defensiveness that frankly makes zero sense to me. For every one movie directed by a woman, you've got like twenty directed by white men. The scales are severely tipped in favor of one group. And people wonder why there's a representation issue at these awards ceremonies.

It’s the same people who got annoyed if Star Wars exceeds its quota of one black man per galaxy.

Interesting stat, last decade you had only one American win Best Director.

2010 - Tom Hooper (UK)

2011 - Michel Hazanavicius (FRANCE)

2012 - Ang Lee (TAIWAN)

2013 - Alfonso Cuarón (MEXICO)

2014 - Alejandro G. Iñárritu (MEXICO)

2015 - Alejandro G. Iñárritu (MEXICO)

2016 - Damien Chazelle (USA)

2017 - Guillermo del Toro (MEXICO)

2018 - Alfonso Cuarón (MEXICO)

2019 - Bong Joon-ho (SOUTH KOREA)

Interesting stat, last decade you had only one American win Best Director.

2010 - Tom Hooper (UK)

2011 - Michel Hazanavicius (FRANCE)

2012 - Ang Lee (TAIWAN)

2013 - Alfonso Cuarón (MEXICO)

2014 - Alejandro G. Iñárritu (MEXICO)

2015 - Alejandro G. Iñárritu (MEXICO)

2016 - Damien Chazelle (USA)

2017 - Guillermo del Toro (MEXICO)

2018 - Alfonso Cuarón (MEXICO)

2019 - Bong Joon-ho (SOUTH KOREA)

I’m still salty with the 2010 one. It should’ve been Fincher. Or even Aronofsky. Heck even Russell.

I feel like some of them are in that "if it's foreign will be viewed as more cultured" vibe when voting. Even though I doubt they even watched most of the films.

It's like I said last night, they need to seriously consider moving the ceremony up an hour or two.

I enjoy the Oscars, but I enjoy my sleep more. You can't begrudge people from not wanting to stay up until 11:30 PM on a work night. And while I don't want to sound dismissive of the other categories, the heavy hitters are always the last ones to go (the main acting categories, director, picture).

33c1df7090fceac67b452d426c410d5774d8218b.jpg

They should make a movie together, with Brie and Regina King starring. Just to tick off the red check marks further.

The Oscars are becoming more irrelevant to people in general. With today's coverage and easily accessible information with regards to it's history (as example the tweet below) and voting practices, it's easier for people to see behind the curtain and understand it's just another form of politics as usual. This is certainly a big part of the decline, the information age and mindset of a more cynical culture. The other part is just as big a factor and has been mentioned, the rapid decline of linear TV and the fragmentation of content viewing in general. Much more experimentation needs to occur to skew younger.

Basically a comment about how movies are not all made for white guys and that just triggered them all.
There's nothing in Captain Marvel that actually felt like it wasn't for me. " shrugs"

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"