A long time ago, in a decade far, far away...

danoyse

Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
Reaction score
Hey everybody!

This thread is officially designated as the bright center of the universe where you can share any vintage photos, videos, or any stories you’d love to share about anything Star Wars. Toys, trailers, commercials, pictures, news stories...whatever you find, just post it here.

It doesn’t matter if you grew up with the original trilogy, the special edition re-releases, or the prequels (yes, they count too and be nice about it), feel free to share.

To start it off, here is a 1978 TV commercial for the first round of Star Wars toys:

[YT]WTXBza5wGEY[/YT]

And a commercial for the special offer to get the Boba Fett action figure in the mail (yes, my mom and I actually did this):

[YT]6eSCwXwx-0c[/YT]

Some old-school Star Wars stuff I still have:

20124_10206676952269399_6955134175713183810_n_zpsiixcr2oj.jpg

1907427_10206698704453190_2063508172967301428_n_zpswoormpod.jpg

So, show us what you got! And as always, May the Force Be With You! :jedi

The line outside the Loews Astor Plaza on 44th St in NYC for the original Star Wars in 1977:

loews4_zpsc2db453d.png

I work 3 blocks away from there, The movie theater is sadly no more, it’s now the Best Buy Theater, and they do concerts there. But I did try to do one of these with that picture about a year ago:

imagejpg1_zps46b2d0cf.jpg

I could have lined it up a little better, but then I would have had to stand in the street and I didn’t want to get hit by a cab, so I didn’t. :oldrazz:

Same theater, opening day of Return of the Jedi in 1983.

return-of-the-jedi-line_zps70628dab.jpg

Here's the original news story that ran that night from that line:

[YT]zjce141miEs[/YT]

Around the time that news story aired, I was in a similar line at a movie theater in NJ. :woot:

Seeing those lines make me think of Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

Now, before we had these fancy iTunes digital versions of the movies, we had this hallmark of technology back in the 1970s:

VI03074a_zps3ls9neqo.jpg

I didn't have one of these, but my downstairs neighbor did. They sold cartridges for it, like this:

movie_view8_zpsngbuf6qy.jpg

And when you turned the little crank, you got to watch highlights of the movie that looked like this:

[YT]Q8fYy1Sef28[/YT]

Isn't that exciting? This is all we had back then, kids. :funny:

***Also, further proof that the 70s were adorable:

upsettinglast_zpsx6zadb84.jpg

Ages 5 & Up. Therapy not included. :wow:

Last edited:
The first lightsaber toy was actually inflatable:

I had this...it lasted about 20 minutes before it popped. It was basically a flashlight after that.

We don't know why this happened.

[YT]xEZi2fl_HUk[/YT]

The first lightsaber toy was actually inflatable:

I had this...it lasted about 20 minutes before it popped. It was basically a flashlight after that.

Had it too along with the old plastic half mask Darth Vader Halloween costume. I've got pics of me in it with the saber somewhere and will post. :woot:

Had it too along with the old plastic half mask Darth Vader Halloween costume. I've got pics of me in it with the saber somewhere and will post. :woot:

I had the C-3PO costume! Halloween 1979:

halloween.jpg

Way too many little memories and experiences to share, but love the idea of this thread. Will come back with some thoughts.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"