The Force Awakens A Long Time Ago, In A Galaxy Far Away...

Visceral

A Shadow
Reaction score
Well I guess this star wars is happening. I have never really been a big trekkie or Jedi, or whatever. However I did have a phase I went through where I was obsessed with the space race and han solo, mars and so on and so forth. There have been some questions in my head about Star wars I feel should be answered.

There are not many ambiguities left in the franchise and if you ask me the prequels were all about taking away ambiguity. The Midchlorian crap took away what was a great spiritual reality for the universe. However, ever since I was a little kid I have wondered what the opening statement meant. And more importantly, where's earth?

Lucas was trying to create a mythology that wasn't from the past nor the present but rather the future. I get that, but I still can't place the star wars universe and it irritates me every time. I used to think Yavin was earth but it isn't.

So if anyone can explain to me let me know. When it says "a long time ago in a galaxy far far away", does it mean that were are watching this from way in the future as if it has already happened, or are we watching it in the present and mankinds origins do not belong to earth?

Maybe earth is some experiment done by the Galactic Republic, forgotten when the rebellion won?

Maybe the universe is like middle earth and I shouldn't be asking questions that make my head hurt? I don't know it makes my head hurt.

Maybe earth is some experiment done by the Galactic Republic, forgotten when the rebellion won?

I like that idea.

However I don't think the question will be answered anytime soon, perhaps in one of the spin-offs?

I try not to think about it too much, he was basically trying to give it kind of a fairy tale-ish, pulp sci-fi comic story feel with that opening. If you take it literally then yeah, it means the story happened centuries or millenia ago but in a whole other section of the universe.

I'd rather them never explain it. I don't want Earth to enter the SW universe.

I want the whole thing half explained...by Damon Lindelof.

Ah, going for the ol' "explained but not explained" ploy...

okay so then it doesn't matter whether we are hearing it from the present or far in the future, however there has never really been any origins for the universe a la something like the similarion, or has there been?

I think the ambiguity is useful- it helps explain why everything looks like a 1970s vision of the future.

Well I guess this star wars is happening. I

Pilgrim, this is neither The Twilight Zone nor The Outer Limits, there is no secret experiment by the Republic, no Rosswell cover up NOTHING THAT EVEN RESEMBLES A CONSPIRACY. Simply put is a long time ago ( aka past ) in a galaxy far far away ( away from earth, earth doesnt know about that galaxy that galaxy doesnt know about us probably and even if they knew they could see that we aren't ready for first contact)(star trek reference that brings me to what i think is why Lucas probably wrote in a Galaxy far far away) So people would not compare it to Star Trek, Star Trek is about earth, us humans that have evolved that want to explore, making a fairytale in space and not put US humans in was the smartest thing he did commercially.

I don't want to know and i don't need to know what's earth's deal in the SW Universe, we have a similar story to that its called Mass Effect, go play that and find out or watch BSG.

Two hundred odd years isn't a very long time. It would be an immense coincidence for two very similar civilization to exist far apart at almost the same time. I know the infinity of space makes it possible, but it would seem less strange if Star Wars happened in 50,000,000 BC.

Earth even being alluded to in a Star Wars film would be absolutely atricious.

What's not to get about "A Long Time Ago, In A Galaxy Far Far Away"?

Earth even being alluded to in a Star Wars film would be absolutely atricious.

What's not to get about "A Long Time Ago, In A Galaxy Far Far Away"?

The origins of mankind within the universe don't make sense. Either Earth was around once, or Earth is ignored by the Republic, or earth never existed and mankind's origins are completely different than they are here in the real world.

I don't need a reference in a film, I was just asking as its a mystery that has always bugged me. Whereas Roddenberry gives the audience an explanation its completely ignored by Lucas.

Do you think Middle-Earth needs to be connected to our Earth, too? I take it you loved Highlander 2 and Planet Zeist?

The origins of mankind within the universe don't make sense. Either Earth was around once, or Earth is ignored by the Republic, or earth never existed and mankind's origins are completely different than they are here in the real world.

I don't need a reference in a film, I was just asking as its a mystery that has always bugged me. Whereas Roddenberry gives the audience an explanation its completely ignored by Lucas.

That's why it called a mystery, and it's a mystery that's irrelevant to the point of the narrative.

It's like asking what was the contents in the briefcase in Pulp Fiction or if Leo survived the ending in Inception.

There was a Star Wars story that explained that the humans in the franchise originally came from Earth, but lost their history.

It's interesting that in the series proper, humans don't seem to have a homeworld. Apparently in-universe, some believe it was once Coruscant. A lot of fans used to speculate that Coruscant is actually Earth. But that seems to be discounted now.

But we don't really know all that much about the universe, going by the movies. EU has more details than any sane man would want, but in the actual movies themselves, there are a lot of questions left to be answered.

The EU doesn't touch on the origins of humankind and doesn't mention Earth at all. And I prefer it that way.

Only a short story in Tales had Solo and Chewie go through a bloack hole or something and find the dead body of Indy on Earth. And it was more than fun to read. But it belongs to fun elseworld stories.

I know, but does it add to anything?

Middle Earth really has to be on our Earth in order for its stories to function as a fictional mythology for England, which was their purpose.

StarWars clearly has no need to culturally 'belong' anywhere. It's just the ultimate childhood wish fulfillment- a wizard and some robots scoop you up and take you on an adventure where you make some great friends and charge about on a space ship firing a laser gun before flying another space ship and blowing things up, saving the day. There is no need to contaminate that with reality.

But you don't disagree that a non-English person can equally see the merits and symbolisms of Tolkien's stories, do you?

No, not at all. But does StarWars actually need anything to 'pin it down' in the same way? I don't think so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"