Adulting is Hard: A Hype Survival Guide

ComicChick

I Work Too Much
Staff member
Reaction score
One of the best things about the Hype is that we have such a vast collective of ages, cultures, experiences, knowledge and wisdom to share. So let's keep sharing! Growing up can be difficult, sometimes even the everyday tasks can be overwhelming or repetitive. Some things we wish we knew more about, but are scared to ask, or just don't know the people with the right experience and advice.

I have been a member of the Hype since I was a teenager, actually half my whole life! There are others out there who grew into adulthood on the Hype just like me! There are some doing it now. I've learned quite a bit in my journey here, and hopefully i've contributed in some way as well.

I'm hoping this can turn into a thread for advice, experience sharing, helpful tips, links, information etc from all walks of adulthood, from the fun to the mundane.

Let's start w/ some mundane.

I've been traveling for work extensively since April this year. I have NEVER been away from home this long or this frequently. I'm so far behind on basic everyday things that go on around the house. I've paid all my bills off before I leave on every trip. I pack early so I'm not rushing last minute, but obviously, being gone 6 of the last 9 weeks and at least 2 weeks every month prior to that has resulted in a lot of household tasks being neglected. I'm home for minimum 9 weeks before I possibly start traveling for work again and while I want to just jump in and start full speed ahead, the task is daunting. So picking a place to start is even a tough choice right now.

I'm trying to separate the important things from the impulse things, and since I'm a list maker, that's what I'm going to do. I found a notebook and am writing every room in the house on a sheet of paper, and what needs to be down in each. I feel like crossing off an item as I complete it, no matter how big or small, will help me achieve more and give me more positive outlooks and motivation on it. I'm focusing on the inside of my house for now. The weather is changing to cooler temps fast and the outside stuff isn't essential and could potentially be tasks I'd like to take a stab at come spring or warmer temps next year.

Just wondering how you guys prep for a major household overhaul, and if there are any products/processes that you think are must-haves and will help get the job done. What are your favorite chores? Least?

When my wife and I moved into our apartment, she measured all of the rooms and our stuff to make sure everything fit. She did the same when we moved into our house. Things got more complicated when her mom's school closed and we had a bunch of their stuff dropped off at our house. The same happened when her grandmother moved into assisted living. It's been helpful and frustrating at the same time.

I do all of the chores, from cleaning bathrooms, to cleaning the cats litter boxes to mowing the lawn. The cat boxes take some willpower to do.

i've tackled some smaller items in my cleaning list, magic erasers are truly Magic!

i've just cleaned out my vaccuum and am ready to vaccuum everything. I've got some bed linens in the wash and am changing all my sheets. there's nothing like jumping into a clean bed with fresh linens after a long day. How often do you all change your linens? I try to do it weekly, but being gone 3 of 4 months, i wasn't home to clean them, and obviously they were unused.

the weather is dropping pretty rapidly here, so i'm thinking of picking up some flannel sheets for the winter.

How often do you all change your linens
Every Saturday, when I clean the whole place. I keep it neat during the week but Saturdays are cleaning day.

Change the sheets, change the bathroom hand towel, towels are change every three days, vacuum the sofa and chairs (I'm allergic to my cat and the allergen is on this fur - saliva).

The cat's litter box gets cleaned every day (Le poop), and I replace the stones every 4/5 days.

Every Saturday, when I clean the whole place. I keep it neat during the week but Saturdays are cleaning day.

Change the sheets, change the bathroom hand towel, towels are change every three days, vacuum the sofa and chairs (I'm allergic to my cat and the allergen is on this fur - saliva).

The cat's litter box gets cleaned every day (Le poop), and I replace the stones every 4/5 days.

i feel like vacuuming everything lol. i did the floors, the furniture, the ceiling (just in case!) lol
i ordered a new shower curtain for the bathroom. hope to knock that one out tomorrow when i get off work

Stones for what?

i'm looking to make my biggest adult purchase; a house. how many homeowners are here? any tips?
I've had a house for roughly 3 years now. Don't know if I have any great tips though.
One thing that I've come to realize is that it takes a lot of time and energy to maintain everything if you have a big house and a big garden.
There are certain times that I wish I still lived in an apartment lol.

Honest to the Aliens above that if I could afford a cleaning lady, I shall gladly pay her. Once a week just to take care of the most tedious part (the windows, the bathroom and the kitchen). I can take care of the rest.

Either that or having a chef :p that would save me a lot of time too and some unhealthy choices.

Not quite at house buying levels of stress but I have foolishly said I could make this for my little cousins birthday at the weekend. Last time I attempted anything close to this was about 12 years ago and I just found out from his mum that she's told him already and how him and his friends are all really looking forward to it:funny: no pressure

Not quite at house buying levels of stress but I have foolishly said I could make this for my little cousins birthday at the weekend. Last time I attempted anything close to this was about 12 years ago and I just found out from his mum that she's told him already and how him and his friends are all really looking forward to it:funny: no pressure

And???how was this cake?

Tip: replace vinegar for your regular fabric softener. It will get rid of unwanted smells, and no, you won't get a vinegary smell on your clothes.

And it's better for the fabric.vhelp the color last longer

And what did the kids though about it? Or they were just high because of the sugar?

Funnily enough it actually turned out rather well. Yes safe to say I was slightly unpopular with the parents:funny:
source.gif

This was the majority of them after a slice basically vibrating throughout the house lol

Funnily enough it actually turned out rather well. Yes safe to say I was slightly unpopular with the parents:funny:
source.gif

This was the majority of them after a slice basically vibrating throughout the house lol

Haaaaaa just like the girl from the exorcist?

Tip: replace vinegar for your regular fabric softener. It will get rid of unwanted smells, and no, you won't get a vinegary smell on your clothes.

And it's better for the fabric.vhelp the color last longer

Thanks for this. I'll give it a try. Glad to hear it doesn't affect clothes with color.

Thanks for this. I'll give it a try. Glad to hear it doesn't affect clothes with color.

You're welcome! My mom told me some suggested to wash your clothes entirely with vinegar but I'll rather use liquid soap, like a normal person. But since I've changed the fabric softener for vinegar I've noticed that gym clothes, which are mostly made of synthetic and tend to stay smelly :p with this, they don't.

And vinegar is cheaper than any other softener.

If you are not entirely sure, just go with 50/50 (vinegar/softener).

i'm allergic to Tide, so I don't use them for detergent, but I'd be up for trying the vinegar thing.

does anyone have any good hacks for cleaning a car interior? i've had my car 2.5 years and wouldn't mind cleaning the back seats. my front seats have covers, but the back does not

hey all. It's a new Year! it's a new Decade!

by the end of this year I should be a homeowner! i better be for crying out loud. just waiting on the purchase agreement to be signed right now so i can proceed.

also, i am getting a raise this month! and should be getting another in August/September. i've been with my company since 2003, although i have had numerous part-time jobs in the meantime lol. going on 15+ years i probably need to start thinking of investing into savings or something like that. how many of you are doing that? how long have you been at your current job(s)?

i'm currently in Civil Service, 15+ years now. and concurrently, I've also been an event merchandiser locally since 2008. that job is seasonal and I can pick the gigs I work. it's been great experience, lots of fun and some great side money, but the company I worked for is merging in with Live Nation, and I'm not sure I'll be returning. Unless there's some decent benefits and some pay increase, I think my time there is done.

by the end of this year I should be a homeowner! i better be for crying out loud. just waiting on the purchase agreement to be signed right now so i can proceed.
Congratulations, and here's to hoping it all works out. Paperwork can take an exceptionally (and unnecessarily) long time.

also, i am getting a raise this month! and should be getting another in August/September. i've been with my company since 2003, although i have had numerous part-time jobs in the meantime lol. going on 15+ years i probably need to start thinking of investing into savings or something like that. how many of you are doing that? how long have you been at your current job(s)?
I've been with the same company for 13 years now (well, 12 years and 9 months), and I really want to leave, but I don't think that'll happen anytime soon. I've been meaning to do so for the last three years, and there just doesn't seem to be an escape.

The job is mundane, repetitive and the management are either hypocrites or or lack a backbone. On the plus, for what the job entails, the pay is reasonable and the majority of my colleagues are a good, friendly bunch. It's factory work though; oil & gas industry, not where I wanted to be.

The problem I've got is that I've been there for so long and have worked my way up the pay chain, that wherever I go elsewhere, I'd be looking at a significant reduction; which then complicates my living situation as I have a mortgage and bills to pay which I'd struggle to do (or in some cases, simply wouldn't be able to do) with some of the other jobs out there.

I've done a couple of courses to further my desires (the aim is to become a therapist of some sort), but even with those I'm restricted as they're day courses and work wouldn't allow me to take so much time off - I'd run out of holiday.

As for savings and investments @ComicChick , I'd recommend them. I've got three ongoing ones at the minute - have had some of them for several years now and they're ticking along nicely. Some years ago I invested £10,000 ($13,200) into an investment bond, and if I remember correctly, it's currently at around £15,000. I've made roughly £5000 ($6600) profit simply by having money in storage.

thanks @Flash525 that's a good idea. I have a TSP account through work but I honestly don't even know how much i have in there. I should be getting a statement very soon. Whatever I put into it each check, the government matches, up to 3% of my paycheck that week. I think i'm only doing $15 a check, so I should really consider doing more. I know one of my coworkers does $100. Not sure if I'm ready for that high an amount, especially with plans to buy a house very soon, but I could easily afford at least $25-30 every check.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"