Adulting is Hard: A Hype Survival Guide

i found a good deal on a steam mop last year and i finally cracked it open this morning. i can totally see the difference on my kitchen floor already.

this is the one i got, but it was cheaper around Black Friday
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/bissel...e-white-saphire-waltz/4877704.p?skuId=4877704

plan on giving my kitchen a really sturdy scrub down today. it's probably the room i hate cleaning the most. mostly cuz of the floors lol. but i think knocking this out today will make me feel a lot more at ease

i found a good deal on a steam mop last year and i finally cracked it open this morning. i can totally see the difference on my kitchen floor already.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/bissel...e-white-saphire-waltz/4877704.p?skuId=4877704

plan on giving my kitchen a really sturdy scrub down today. it's probably the room i hate cleaning the most. mostly cuz of the floors lol. but i think knocking this out today will make me feel a lot more at ease
You sound like my sister when she got a Shark Steam Vac. :funny:

You sound like my sister when she got a Shark Steam Vac. :funny:

i almost got the shark but i liked this one better. i was talking to a friend earlier about it lol and she loves her shark

i like this one because i can wash the mop heads in the washing machine and not spend extra money on extra mop heads, unless i want to. i also like that the bottom comes off and the middle has extra course, stronger brush bristles to do harder area, like grout, harder stains etc. i also like that it uses water, i don't have to buy fancy sprays or liquids. i'm not saying that the Shark doesn't have these features or do these things, as i can't remember the specs, but these are the main reasons i swayed over to the Bissell side.

fun fact: use distilled water to prolong life :up:

also, we've pulled up the carpet in my dad's house in the master bedroom and living room with plans to do laminate flooring. that's what he wants, so that's what we're getting him.

can anyone recommend some good cleaning solutions or products to remove the extra pieces of carpet/insulation/etc that was left behind? or tools if needed. not sure we need anything extra, just wanted to ask to make sure. since we are going to start tackling this project since the weather is improving.

how's everyone doing in their adult life? i know i created this thread pre-pandemic, but i feel like a lot has changed, and also, that a lot has not changed.

so the leak in my roof got worse, had someone come out and they took pictures and showed me that whoever put the roof on (before i moved in), did not use any flashing and just caulked the shingles to the chimney. i live in a tri-level, so this is where all the water was getting into. he came over, removed and redid all the shingles, put flashing on and cleaned everything up, and charged me only half of what the quotes i found on the internet were going to cost me. also found out he grew up with my siblings, so that should've made him charge me double right there lol.

that cut into my savings towards a new car somewhat. i've less than a year until mine is paid off, about 6 months i think. with gas prices so high and my commute for work being pretty far, i need to ensure that the vehicle i'm going to buy, should i still choose to buy one, is more efficient has gets better mileage.

now i'm trying to learn my own yard landscaping and whatnot still. my back yard is a mess due to my neighbors yard. i took pictures to show just how much i'm not exaggerating. my friend said i should call the city, but i feel bad because the person who lives there is elderly, if they're still living there at all.

how's everyone doing in their adult life? i know i created this thread pre-pandemic, but i feel like a lot has changed, and also, that a lot has not changed.

so the leak in my roof got worse, had someone come out and they took pictures and showed me that whoever put the roof on (before i moved in), did not use any flashing and just caulked the shingles to the chimney. i live in a tri-level, so this is where all the water was getting into. he came over, removed and redid all the shingles, put flashing on and cleaned everything up, and charged me only half of what the quotes i found on the internet were going to cost me. also found out he grew up with my siblings, so that should've made him charge me double right there lol.

that cut into my savings towards a new car somewhat. i've less than a year until mine is paid off, about 6 months i think. with gas prices so high and my commute for work being pretty far, i need to ensure that the vehicle i'm going to buy, should i still choose to buy one, is more efficient has gets better mileage.

now i'm trying to learn my own yard landscaping and whatnot still. my back yard is a mess due to my neighbors yard. i took pictures to show just how much i'm not exaggerating. my friend said i should call the city, but i feel bad because the person who lives there is elderly, if they're still living there at all.
Didn't you get the roof done sometime back? I would probably call the city about the neighbors backyard as it could even be a fire hazard.

OMG!!! Mary Hartman had yellow wax build up on her kitchen floor. :funny:

My "adulting" means being the primary caregiver for my mother. She has COPD and can't cook, clean, or anything like that. Her eyesight seems to be failing so I got her an 86" TV because watching TV is basically all she can do these days. My wife has been really good about me being gone. Once a week, a friend comes over and takes care of my mom for a day and I get a day at home. My mornings (mom sleeps well into the afternoon) consist of walking the dogs, feeding them, getting myself something to eat, a bit of exercise on a stepper I bought, checking out the hype, and watching news. Sometimes I drag the TV outside and sit in a little pool I set up. It's a good thing that my mental state can only be described as "tough" and "optimistic" because if I wasn't that way, it could get weird.

I decided to not work to deal with this and it's a good thing my wife makes a very good salary so we're kind of okay on that end (though things are a little tighter financially than they otherwise would be).

My "adulting" means being the primary caregiver for my mother. She has COPD and can't cook, clean, or anything like that. Her eyesight seems to be failing so I got her an 86" TV because watching TV is basically all she can do these days. My wife has been really good about me being gone. Once a week, a friend comes over and takes care of my mom for a day and I get a day at home. My mornings (mom sleeps well into the afternoon) consist of walking the dogs, feeding them, getting myself something to eat, a bit of exercise on a stepper I bought, checking out the hype, and watching news. Sometimes I drag the TV outside and sit in a little pool I set up. It's a good thing that my mental state can only be described as "tough" and "optimistic" because if I wasn't that way, it could get weird.

I decided to not work to deal with this and it's a good thing my wife makes a very good salary so we're kind of okay on that end (though things are a little tighter financially than they otherwise would be).
My MIL just had cataract surgery. Maybe your mother needs that?

For people who have ant problems. I don't think the store bought products work. I found a easy solution of a mixture of borax and sugar in a plastic bottle and it twice seemed to work.

My MIL just had cataract surgery. Maybe your mother needs that?
She's already had it years ago. The ophthalmologist says it's degeneration and a normal part of aging. She uses Refresh eye drops and also take Lumigan as she has glaucoma. Fortunately, the glaucoma hasn't progressed.

For people who have ant problems. I don't think the store bought products work. I found a easy solution of a mixture of borax and sugar in a plastic bottle and it twice seemed to work.

Some work better than others. The borax and sugar works. I'll sometimes put some syrupy stuff on top to get them started. Once they start, it seems to help.

this is the first flooring video i've watched that made me think we might actually be able to pull it off

we have all the pieces. i ordered the jigsaw because they didn't have any in stock, so that's coming tuesday. really want to get this done by the end of the month. i'm actually excited about trying it now, when i've been so overwhelmed before.
after putting the flooring in, and we touch up the walls and paint the trim, and the room will look really nice i think.

it's agreeable gray and the trim will be a nice white. with a dark gray laminate floor, which is what he picked, i think my dad will be happy

Last edited:
i started posting here as a teenager. and now i'm closer to 40 than i am to my 20s :(

anyways, just wondering how many of us out there have insurance or are prepared for the unexpected. My Grandfather got us grandkids Gerber life insurance when we were babies and then turned it over to us when we in our early 20's. I'm the only one who didn't cash it in. I still have it and pay for it to this day.

i'm thinking of looking into Whole Life insurance and am curious if anyone has it. it seems like it's something worth researching and considering. if anyone has any opinions or advice/resources, i'm all ears

I started off with a whole life and a term life insurance. When the term was ending, they allowed me to switch it to whole life. I pay the minimum so even though I've had it for years, I'm not able to to use it to pay the monthly with the premiums.

i'm not sure on term life right now, but i am a little interested in whole life. not a crazy amount, but something decent with a premium i can manage.

I did NY Life because everyone in my family had it and being like in my early 20s when I did it so I think I was paying a little over a hundred.

Just a small life hack. With almost every convenience store, eatery, supermarket having their own app, I've started using different birthdays so I'm not collecting everything on the same month. Yesterday was my "birthday" for 2 places, but the issue was that it was only for that day, not like the whole month or something like that. Since I'm usually away on my birthday, it helps.

new year, new us!

i'm starting out this year broker than i've been in at least 5 or more. bought a car last year, taking care of an ailing parent with no assistance from my siblings, etc. so this year i'm really trying to boost my savings back up and cut down on unnecessary debt. i'm also de-cluttering and getting rid of stuff i don't need. I started selling off some of my movie collection towards end of last year and have made about $3-400 on that so far. i have hundreds more i'm willing to get rid of.
I am also considering applying for an assistant management position in my department should one open this year, which most seem to think is almost certain. it would be approx $4 an hour raise last time i checked but its been months since i looked so with the COLA we just received, it may be more than that.

what are yalls goals this year? what are you working towards?

I haven't mentioned this yet but last month we lost my MIL. It was kinda sudden. We thought she was just going into the hospital with pneumonia but it went south. Nothing was planned. Her family had to take care of funeral & cemetery costs. In meeting with the cemetery, he mentioned how many plots have been prepaid for by younger people just so other people didn't have to rely on it.

I know it's not a comfortable topic to discuss with parents, grandparents or even ourselves but you can save family from having to take care of stuff.

new year, new us!

i'm starting out this year broker than i've been in at least 5 or more. bought a car last year, taking care of an ailing parent with no assistance from my siblings, etc. so this year i'm really trying to boost my savings back up and cut down on unnecessary debt. i'm also de-cluttering and getting rid of stuff i don't need. I started selling off some of my movie collection towards end of last year and have made about $3-400 on that so far. i have hundreds more i'm willing to get rid of.
I am also considering applying for an assistant management position in my department should one open this year, which most seem to think is almost certain. it would be approx $4 an hour raise last time i checked but its been months since i looked so with the COLA we just received, it may be more than that.

what are yalls goals this year? what are you working towards?

So this is different from the new job you got last year?

giphy.gif

So this is different from the new job you got last year?

yes but no. same department, just kinda adjacent. a lot of the things i do now coincide with duties for that position

My mom passed last October and took care of all that. I wasn't worried about the money, but it was just one less thing I had to deal with. The rest of it was hard enough.

We finalized selling the house this morning and I'm really torn in half about how to feel about it. I'm really glad it's done and I don't have to think about it or deal with contractors, but it also feels like something got lost.

I haven't mentioned this yet but last month we lost my MIL. It was kinda sudden. We thought she was just going into the hospital with pneumonia but it went south. Nothing was planned. Her family had to take care of funeral & cemetery costs. In meeting with the cemetery, he mentioned how many plots have been prepaid for by younger people just so other people didn't have to rely on it.

I know it's not a comfortable topic to discuss with parents, grandparents or even ourselves but you can save family from having to take care of stuff.

i'm sorry for yalls loss :/

i almost lost my father this year. went to visit him after work, found him in the backyard in august, shirtless, covered in sweat and smelling as though he'd been there for hours. he couldn't get up, carried him in the house and he didn't know who i was or who he was. called paramedics and he went into the hospital for a month, and then assisted living where he has been since. he has become a fall risk, spending most time in wheelchair now although he can stand on his own for spells. he can hardly speak anymore, aphasia from the stroke. he's incontinent and has vascular dementia. he's 75. i'm getting no help from my siblings at all and it sucks. fortunately his veterans status means his funeral arrangements are set up, but i'm winging it. i'm doing the best i can and it still feels like its not enough.

Do you know where all his important papers are? Deed to house. Life insurance. Etc.?

Do you know where all his important papers are? Deed to house. Life insurance. Etc.?

i have found some of them, but still have lots of things to look through.

i have found some of them, but still have lots of things to look through.
I forgot to mention, I'm sorry for what you're going through. We haven't tackled going through all my MIL's stuff yet. It's still very fresh and daunting. My sister is going through similar with her FIL who told her and my bil very little about his finances, the house, etc. and now they have to handle his wife who has dementia. It's a challenge for her too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"