• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Winter Soldier Advance Screening Fan/Critic Reactions - CA:TWS - SPOILERS!!!! BEWARE!!!!! - Part 1

I can't freaking wait to see this , you guys are giving me goosebumps

The one thing that was a tad...convenient, shall we say...was how[BLACKOUT] Hydra/SHIELD, which had been manipulating world events for seventy years, was utterly defeated in a twenty minute battle. I know Fury said he was going after more Hydra guys in Europe, but even so.[/BLACKOUT]

Well if you think about it, for the good guys to prevail against Hydra the good elements within SHIELD stepped up, and the organization pretty much committed suicide. And I can't really say that Hydra lost, since not only did they managed to remove SHIELD from the board, but their "defeat" took the heat off them and allowed them work on their more important projects covertly.

Well if you think about it, for the good guys to prevail against Hydra the good elements within SHIELD stepped up, and the organization pretty much committed suicide. And I can't really say that Hydra lost, since not only did they managed to remove SHIELD from the board, but their "defeat" took the heat off them and allowed them work on their more important projects covertly.

I love that Pearce's reaction to his helicarrier plan going up in flames is a kind of disappointed tut and "What a waste," followed by an "Oh well" shrug. This massive victory for the heroes is a setback for HYDRA, not defeat.

[BLACKOUT]Do they allude to the Red Skull and/or his fate at all?[/BLACKOUT]

Damn, can't read anything here. :csad:

I love that Pearce's reaction to his helicarrier plan going up in flames is a kind of disappointed tut and "What a waste," followed by an "Oh well" shrug. This massive victory for the heroes is a setback for HYDRA, not defeat.

I wouldn't even call it a setback, really. As Strucker pointed out, Hydra in its current incarnation is an antiquated organization that had long outlived its usefulness, and all its destruction manages to do is mask the rise of a newer, better Hydra that is represented by the twins.

Just finished watching this movie. I just loved all the Easter eggs. A tad disappointed in the post credit scene though.

"Cut off one head, and two more will rise to take it's place." They kept beating you over the head with that line in TFA. You can't truly destroy HYDRA. If you defeat it, then it will simply go underground, rebuild, change it's methods/tactics, and reemerge stronger than ever.

Mixed review from Forbes' Scott Mendelson: Could go positive or negative on RT I don't know…

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2014/03/27/review-captain-america-the-winter-soldier-proves-more-is-less/

Meh, the review seems to largely boil down to, "There are things in this film I already decided that I wouldn't like and which I have to say I don't like so as not to appear to be going back on my convictions, but I have to grudgingly confess to finding the film enjoyable."

Mendelson (and to be fair, the other guy who gave a positively glowing review of TWS, Mark Hughes????) have had some crazy whackadoodle analyses of box office the past few weeks, so… yeah.

I did sort of take Mendelson's review that he thought the film terrific in spots, average in others, especially when WS enters the fray, and the last act weak, but still enjoyed it. So yeah, he could go either way on RT>

Nah, the last act isn't weak, it follows the usual structure of superhero movies, but it's great action, and pure badassery.

I do not want to start a flame war by asking this but for people who have seen this would you say the action is better than Man of Steel's? Regardless of what you thought of MoS that movie had some of the craziest, most visceral action scenes ever put to film but I'm hearing that the action TWS is comparable with The Raid's?!?

Mendelson's review sounds like a 3/5.....it could be positive but I'm not sure.

Seriously, this film is incredible! By far the best of Marvel's offerings imo. Every beat is hit the way it should, every character servesa purpose and delivers. The Russo's really knocked it out of the park and to be honest, Whedon's really going to have to step his game up for AoU, like, really step his game up.

The female characters really shine too and aren't just there to fill a TnA quota. BW's portrayal here is by and large the best we've seen on screen and a very strong case could be made as to why she should nd could get her own movie.

Evans is Cap. Few actors rarely embody and define the characters they play but for me, Evans defines Cap better than Downy does Stark and that's not a claim/statement made lightly!

The action! Hollywood, you'll never be able to get action the way Gareth Evans does with his Raid movies but cot damn, the action in this cap movie is some of the best I've ever seen. Remember that scene in the Avengers when Tony and Cap are going at it, threatening to go a few rounds with each other? Well, Tony's going to have to either come up with a new Mk or the hulk buster armour to go toe to toe with Cap because Cap is a beast.

Winter soldier was badass, Fury's action scenes (car chase) was awesome and Falcon, damn, seeing Falcon soaring and zipping about in the sky was poetic. This film is more than just an action film, it's a real thriller, full of tension, mistrust and paranoia and Marvel should be patting themselves on the back right now.

I am 100% with you... watched it yesterday.... AWESOME
I am a Whedon fan but he really needs to bring his A-game to trump "The Winter Soldier"
This movie had the best superheroactionsequences (what a word) I have ever seen...

What a fantastic movie!

I do not want to start a flame war by asking this but for people who have seen this would you say the action is better than Man of Steel's? Regardless of what you thought of MoS that movie had some of the craziest, most visceral action scenes ever put to film but I'm hearing that the action TWS is comparable with The Raid's?!?

You can't really compare Kryptonian smash em ups with super soldier martial arts to be honest.

The last 30 minutes of MoS was like a Michael Bay movie on steroids.

I couldn't possibly compare the action from MOS to TWS, imo, MOS has some of the best action in superhero movies, no doubt about it, TWS is completely different in that regard obviously, since it's totally grounded, it's nonetheless super badass & exciting, I'd say TWS rivals The Avengers in the action territory, can't really tell if one has better action than the other, but at least, it rivals it.

To put this into perspective, I think that IM3 had pretty good action in it, and that Thor TDW had merely decent action (imo, TDW not holding a candle to the first Thor movie)

Both films have excellent action, but in totally different ways. Man of Steel had fight scenes that were crazy huge in spectacle, while The Winter Soldier's combat is down-and-dirty. Though I will say that both had massive scale wanton destruction and implied collateral damage, and it'll be interesting to see if The Winter Soldier sparks similar outrage in that regard.

Why roll your eyes. It's not a criticism. At least MoS actually had characters we cared about involved.

But it was a ridiculous amount of collateral damage and there is a couple moments in it that i felt were written poorly just for the sake of some cool visuals, like a Bay movie (ie. Supes jumping out of the way of the petrol tanker and letting it blow up a building instead of trying to catch it).

Both films have excellent action, but in totally different ways. Man of Steel had fight scenes that were crazy huge in spectacle, while The Winter Soldier's combat is down-and-dirty. Though I will say that both had massive scale wanton destruction and implied collateral damage, and it'll be interesting to see if The Winter Soldier sparks similar outrage in that regard.
Where is Rock? :o

:cwink:

Ok, cool! Just wanted to get an idea of what to expect action-wise. Can't wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"