Agent Carter Agent Carter - S02E05 - "The Atomic Job"

Silvermoon

Made To Be Ruled
Reaction score
Synopsis:
AGENT PEGGY CARTER RACES TO STOP AN ATOMIC EXPLOSION, ON “MARVEL’S AGENT CARTER” ON ABC

“The Atomic Job” – As Jarvis’ precision and quick-thinking skills are put to the ultimate test, Peggy must find a way to stop an atomic explosion that threatens to destroy all of California, on “Marvel’s Agent Carter,” TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 9 (9:00-10:00 p.m. EST) on the ABC Television Network.

“Marvel’s Agent Carter” stars Hayley Atwell as Agent Peggy Carter, James D’Arcy as Edwin Jarvis, Enver Gjokaj as Chief Daniel Sousa, Wynn Everett as Whitney Frost, Reggie Austin as Jason Wilkes, and Chad Michael Murray as Chief Jack Thompson.

Guest starring are Currie Graham as Calvin Chadwick, Lesley Boone as Rose, Sarah Bolger as Violet, Christopher Allen as Agent Ryan, Rey Valentin as Agent Vega, Alexandra Vino as bombshell secretary, Ken Marino as Joseph Manfredi, Jimmy Ambrose as Jerry, Matt Braunger as Dr. Samberly and Ray Wise as Hugh Jones.

“The Atomic Job” was written by Lindsey Allen and directed by Craig Zisk.
Promo:

https://youtu.be/86QQqHzPkaI

Stills: (more at http://www.farfarawaysite.com/section/agentcarter/gallery2/gallery5/gallery.htm)

1.jpg

14.jpg

25.jpg

30.jpg

8.jpg

10.jpg

Sousa's fiancee is cute and they're adorable together. If I had to guess, she's more likely to die than be a spy.

Good episode so far.

Good episode. Maybe a touch on the obvious side with the humor.

ETA: This seems like a good time to make what's his face not visible so he can spy on the inside.

That's gonna hurt.

While I'm sure you're talking about the impalement, the ending seemed emotionally painful for everyone. That sucks.

BTW, any special reason next week is two hours beyond finishing this show in time for AoS to come back?

I know Peggy's love life was touted as big arc for her this season but it's been by far the least engaging part.

It's shame about Violet, she has more chemistry with Sousa than Peggy does. Her reaction to the proposal was adorable and she was damn cool in an emergency brought to her doorstep.

I love all the new supporting characters, they're all great even the villains. I'm actually worried about Chadwick. :funny: Whitney is scary as hell.

The screwball comedy in this episode was wonderful, some of the best of the season - that hero walk from Peggy's ragtag squad. :woot:

Last edited:
Oh the promo for next week is insane. That looks like a very very bad idea.

Funny episode....love seeing Rose kick ass and the "C" team hero walk (when it started and the song started playing, my wife laughed and said her mom used to sing that all the time when she was a kid).....and sad with Souza and his fiancé.

I'm sorry but that was painful to watch.

I'm not talking about Peggy getting impaled. I'm talking it was painful to watch as a Marvel fan. This show is completely off the rails now.

I love the character but was embarrassed for the show in general for the very first time watching this last episode. It really was THAT bad.

It's like they don't know what they want to be or how they want to handle ANYTHING. The humor doesn't work for the most part. There is no action. There isn't even any compelling romantic angles. How can the writing be this bad?

I don't even know where to start. Whitney Frost and her spineless bumbling husband are so cartoonish that it's actually shocking. Mobster "buddy" where they get some goons could have been animated as a cartoon wolf in a suit for heaven sake. They "infiltrate" a supposedly secure location where two atomic bombs are being guarded by four security guards? (I guess Frost's crew could have taken out more before Peggy's Hurling Commandos got on scene but still...) Hydra corruption or no, as if the US government would let a civilian casually store atomic bombs on US soil. And, the office scene with the memory eraser? *groan* The whole episode played out like cheap and badly written fan fiction.

Also, it looks like after they wrote this episode they remembered that they needed to farther the romantic angle so they went back and jammed in an awkward Sousa proposal to his nurse girlfriend. That way they could run a pipe through Peggy's midsection and have somewhere to take her and then quickly and awkwardly advance a fake as hell love triangle. Not taking her to a hospital makes as much sense as not having any guns to infiltrate a "sensitive" storage facility.

I'm sure that Peggy will quickly shake off getting run through and be up battling bad guys within hours of seeing Wilks disappear. Can't let a metal rod through the gut stop this "tough as nails better than the guys broad!" *groan*

I thought it was the weakest episode of the season (bound to happen eventually) but the preview for the upcoming eps (now back-to-back) looks better.

I'm sorry but that was painful to watch.

I'm not talking about Peggy getting impaled. I'm talking it was painful to watch as a Marvel fan. This show is completely off the rails now.

I love the character but was embarrassed for the show in general for the very first time watching this last episode. It really was THAT bad.

It's like they don't know what they want to be or how they want to handle ANYTHING. The humor doesn't work for the most part. There is no action. There isn't even any compelling romantic angles. How can the writing be this bad?

I don't even know where to start. Whitney Frost and her spineless bumbling husband are so cartoonish that it's actually shocking. Mobster "buddy" where they get some goons could have been animated as a cartoon wolf in a suit for heaven sake. They "infiltrate" a supposedly secure location where two atomic bombs are being guarded by four security guards? (I guess Frost's crew could have taken out more before Peggy's Hurling Commandos got on scene but still...) Hydra corruption or no, as if the US government would let a civilian casually store atomic bombs on US soil. And, the office scene with the memory eraser? *groan* The whole episode played out like cheap and badly written fan fiction.

Also, it looks like after they wrote this episode they remembered that they needed to farther the romantic angle so they went back and jammed in an awkward Sousa proposal to his nurse girlfriend. That way they could run a pipe through Peggy's midsection and have somewhere to take her and then quickly and awkwardly advance a fake as hell love triangle. Not taking her to a hospital makes as much sense as not having any guns to infiltrate a "sensitive" storage facility.

I'm sure that Peggy will quickly shake off getting run through and be up battling bad guys within hours of seeing Wilks disappear. Can't let a metal rod through the gut stop this "tough as nails better than the guys broad!" *groan*
I might not be quite that harsh, but I agree somewhat with the overall sentiment.

I think this was the first truly bad episode of the entire show-to-date. The writing was really bland and uninspired... and honestly, just lacking in quality. The screwball comedy stuff was, for the most part, grimace inducing and didn't get me to break a smile even once. And bizarrely, the acting, which is usually quite strong, was just almost uniformly atrocious across the board.

I really really liked the first 3 episodes and thought the fourth was pretty good but slightly weak in terms of actual plot substance. This one... oof, this one was rough. :( Here's hoping this isn't indicative of the show's quality going forward.

This is the first episode that seemed like a broad comedy that would air on ABC. All the jokes were obvious and cued to the music. I didn't hate it as much as you two, but certainly the humor fell flat. The one exception was Jarvis, who I feel continued to be amusing just because of the actor.

Jarvis & Peggy makes the show obviously...but Jarvis is very entertaining the way he simply goes about things.

As far as the tone is concern...it always have had some corny-ness, dated writing about itself....but it works for this show; and imo, that's what makes it entertaining. It a true throwback to the way comedy/situation show were written, if you understand what I'm saying.

There are moments the writing is bland, comedy is silly, the situation is completely unreal; but it works...and is exactly what I expect it to be after watching the pilot some time ago.

I liked that slo-mo shot of Peggy and her little band of heroes. It was very amusing. Also, Whitney Frost keeps getting scarier and more intimidating all the time as the villain.

My DVR cut off on the last couple of minutes last night when the doctor was in Peggy's bedroom talking to her, so what happened in the last couple of minutes?

I'm surprised at all the negativity surrounding this episode. I thought it was really good. It was nice to see Rose and Jarvis kicking ass in their own separate ways, and that slow-mo walk the group did was everything. Peggy's fall onto the rebar was surprisingly brutal for a show like this.

I fear for Chadwick. I'm surprised he's still alive; I figured Whitney was going to kill him by the end of the episode. She's frighteningly powerful and becoming unhinged.

Poor Violet. She's almost certain to die before the end of the season.

What BestGirl said. This might be my favorite ep so far this season. Whitney gets creepier every time. I'm getting an almost Lovecraftian vibe off her now, which of course is what they are going for. It's a shame this is almost certainly the last season.

I'm not as negative as the rest of you but I'm also not as engaged with this season as I was with the first. There's still a lot to like but I think the 'zero matter' macguffin and the broad comedy hasn't been clicking with me. I still hold Agent Carter season 1 up there with Daredevil, Jesesica Jones, and AoS S3 as some of the best superhero TV we've ever gotten.

I thought it was a good episode. Not quite a souffle *wink*, but still lots of fun.

I'm kind of in the middle. I continue to like Whitney and think she's the best part of the season, which owes a lot to the actress. She's doing a very good job. I think Violet showed some charisma here where previously she was just sort of there, but I can't say I'm overly invested in the love...quadrangle? Some of the comedy is the biggest sticking point for me. I didn't care for the walk at all, and...well, I don't know if the upbeat overweight secretary kicks *** part was supposed to be funny or empowering or both, but it was just kind of corny. And even if Hugh is a badguy, all I could think about in the memory wiping scene was that it causes brain damage and maybe she should reign it in a bit. She could have knocked him out and used it one time.

IMO best episode of the season,
The problem is that i find this season very weak. It's just not very interesting and it mostly makes me miss AOS.

I'm surprised at all the negativity surrounding this episode. I thought it was really good. It was nice to see Rose and Jarvis kicking ass in their own separate ways, and that slow-mo walk the group did was everything. Peggy's fall onto the rebar was surprisingly brutal for a show like this.

I fear for Chadwick. I'm surprised he's still alive; I figured Whitney was going to kill him by the end of the episode. She's frighteningly powerful and becoming unhinged.

Poor Violet. She's almost certain to die before the end of the season.

Same here, I liked the episode quite a bit, some lighthearted moments before getting quite serious by the end. The season is slowly picking up.

I'm not as negative as the rest of you but I'm also not as engaged with this season as I was with the first. There's still a lot to like but I think the 'zero matter' macguffin and the broad comedy hasn't been clicking with me. I still hold Agent Carter season 1 up there with Daredevil, Jesesica Jones, and AoS S3 as some of the best superhero TV we've ever gotten.

Despite what I have written above, I agree on the whole this season has not been as good as the first, it's a shame, and this season is slowly picking up, but overall, the first season did things much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"