• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 1 Episode 5 "Girl in the Flower Dress" Discussion

also posted this in the "Skye" thread,..... could it be that Skye's success playing Battleship hints at a power?

Ok, Skye has to be someone who fans would recognize once they hear her real name. They're playing up her mysterious nature way too much for that not to be the case (this time it was her parents).

Given that they're basically beating viewers over the head with "SHE'S A MYSTERY!!!!!," they're going to have to deliver on some level.

General rule of thumb, though - if you have to keep reminding people that a character's a mystery, it's not a very good one.

also posted this in the "Skye" thread,..... could it be that Skye's success playing Battleship hints at a power?

All it "hints at" is that she's good at playing a lame-ass board game.

Does anyone know if Marvel plans on intertwining the show with the movies when it comes to characters? It's clear they're doing it with subplots but I'm wondering if someone like Ming Na's character or Skye could appear in Captain America 3 or TA3?

Or are they trying to keep everything pretty much self contained and only cross over certain sub plots?

Does anyone know if Marvel plans on intertwining the show with the movies when it comes to characters? It's clear they're doing it with subplots but I'm wondering if someone like Ming Na's character or Skye could appear in Captain America 3 or TA3?

Or are they trying to keep everything pretty much self contained and only cross over certain sub plots?
Well, obviously Hill, Fury, and Coulson have shown up on both sides, but for the rest of the team, I haven't heard anything, and (IMHO) wouldn't expect to see them.

All it "hints at" is that she's good at playing a lame-ass board game.

Foolish person, Skye OBVIOUSLY received a bite from a radioactive board game as an infant. Hence the parental abandonment and the redacted medical info. She never got close to her foster parents because they couldn't deal with constantly losing Monopoly to a child. That woman Skye almost called "Mom" once? Yeah, Skye correctly guessed Colonel Mustard with the pipe in the kitchen on the first turn. The first turn! It's no wonder Skye could never get close to anyone.

I'm jealous of the ex boyfriend. Wow. He got to see Skye in her skivvies (and less).

Coulson could end up back in the film universe since he was "born" there. The rest of them should stay on TV because they are so not ready for their closeups.

Foolish person, Skye OBVIOUSLY received a bite from a radioactive board game as an infant. Hence the parental abandonment and the redacted medical info. She never got close to her foster parents because they couldn't deal with constantly losing Monopoly to a child. That woman Skye almost called "Mom" once? Yeah, Skye correctly guessed Colonel Mustard with the pipe in the kitchen on the first turn. The first turn! It's no wonder Skye could never get close to anyone.

Great theory, but if Skye was bitten by Clue you'd think she'd have one by now. :rimshot:

Loved seeing Ruth Negga in this, and she appears to have landed a sizable role to boot. Not a Whedon allum, but a Misfits cast member is just as welcome..

Anyone think the post credit sequence could herald the return of Mike in some capacity? His exit in the first episode was oddly rushed so I'd welcome more for him in the future (plus: Gunn)

This episode was polarizing for me, the "Scorch" and "Centipede" storyline was very intriguing, but the Skye one wasn't.

Here's my review, let me know what you think in the comments. Me and my fellow are already going at it, feel free to join.

http://twodashstash.com/2013/10/agents-shield-girl-flower-dress-review/

It's interesting that you say that since I found the Skye subplot the most engaging part of the episode; specifically Skye > Centipede > Scorch.

The reason I found Scorch the most boring was because it was the most predictable. It was obvious he was going to get screwed over by "the girl in the flower dress" - even before the revelation on her Centipede connection. Likewise, as he was at best a recurring character and not a constant presence on the show, and given his unique talents involving the possession of superpowers, it was just as clear that he would eventually either get brainwashed or turn evil - lest they bring about a completely new threat from out of left field for our heroes to contend with - and that he would be disabled one way or another (killed, captured, etc) by the end of the plot - namely, the end of the episode or in the case of a two-parter, the one the week after.

In contrast, by virtue of being a main character on the show, there was more unpredictability regarding Skye's actions. Sure, we know that she would eventually get let back onto the team. However, the question was when and what the fallout from it. It could be the end of the episode or it could be after a mini-arc with her out of the team - be it on the run, cut loose, or in SHIELD custody. And likewise, what repercussions there were; both in the short term and long for the character. That, on top of the character development that the show was baiting us with, made it the most interesting part of the episode for me.

British television series about a bunch of ASBOs (delinquents serving community service) who one day suddenly gain superpowers; along with a bunch of other fairly useless lowlifes. Pretty entertaining stuff with decent writing and performances by some of the actors.

Last edited:
Wow, the best episode yet. The show is really improving. The world-building and character moments were solid. I really like Ward now. The only negative: Fitz-Simmons are being ignored by writers too much these past 2 eps.

8.5/10

The only negative: Fitz-Simmons are being ignored by writers too much these past 2 eps.

Well they should be ignored since they are weakest links of this show and they drag down the quality of the show when they open their mouth and talk.

Wow, the best episode yet. The show is really improving. The world-building and character moments were solid. I really like Ward now. The only negative: Fitz-Simmons are being ignored by writers too much these past 2 eps.

8.5/10

The show has so much going on right now as it establishes itself that, from time to time, certain characters will have to be ignored. They'll get their moments down the line, probably at the expense of another character. Just how it's going to have to work until the show decides what it wants to be.

The infant was found to have _REDACTED_ expressing minimal _REDACTED_ No _REDACTED_

That's the part that intrigues me.

I'm probably waaaaay off base here but could she possibly be a long lost child of Bruce Banner?? Remember the scene in Avengers with BW and Bruce in that shack? He said "I don't always get what I want" while rocking a cradle, maybe he had a child way back when and the reason all her info is redacted is because she was on watch for gamma poisoning or something???

On another note, Im pretty sure this takes place after IM3. Mike Peterson displayed the exact same symptoms the extremis soldiers did in IM3, at the end of the episode they said they found the solution to the explosion problem. If this happened prior to IM3 we wouldnt have spontaneously combusting soldiers.

I'm probably waaaaay off base here but could she possibly be a long lost child of Bruce Banner?? Remember the scene in Avengers with BW and Bruce in that shack? He said "I don't always get what I want" while rocking a cradle, maybe he had a child way back when and the reason all her info is redacted is because she was on watch for gamma poisoning or something???

On another note, Im pretty sure this takes place after IM3. Mike Peterson displayed the exact same symptoms the extremis soldiers did in IM3, at the end of the episode they said they found the solution to the explosion problem. If this happened prior to IM3 we wouldnt have spontaneously combusting soldiers.

It absolutely, beyond a shadow of a doubt takes place after Iron Man 3. You've got Extremis, AND, more importantly... in either the first or second ep Coulson directly mentions the climax of IM3. He asks Skye if she heard about some big event in a bay in Miami, (AKA the final showdown in IM3) and when she says no he replies "That's because S.H.I.E.L.D. cleaned it up."

"Remember the panic when that anti-matter meteor splashed down off the coast of Miami and almost devoured the city?"

Exactly

I dont know why people keep saying it was before IM3

It's pretty obvious it takes places after it

could it be that Skye's success playing Battleship hints at a power?
Isn't it obvious? Skye's good at BATTLESHIP, she was TAKEN from her parents - her father is Liam Neeson.

Anyone else expecting some connection between Scorch and Radioactive man?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"