Alan Grant/Norm Breyfogle Detective Comics era

Grant made a great update of the Penguin, no doubt! Elegant idea to let other people talk about him at his funeral. Sadly enough, most writers did not follow up on this and returned to the old tropes ("Penguin Triumphant", however, is a great obscure story!). But let's face it, Grant sabotaged his whole story when he made the Penguin giving out riddles like in the 60s show.

I think your memory is a little flawed. Penguin has been taunting Batman with clues before and after the 60's show, and long before Grant ever wrote him. I was just talking about one in your Batman writers thread. Steve Englehart's 'Malay Penguin' story in the 70's has Penguin taunting Batman repeatedly with clues to what he's up to.

You are right about that BUT I do not think that this fit a more modern approach to the Penguin. Batman should have found out without clues delivered to him by the Penguin. Leave this kind of stuff to the Riddler (and perhaps the Joker).

Last edited:
I don't see the problem with it. Batman is a detective at heart. Penguin is a vain villain who loves to flaunt his criminal genius. It didn't make any difference that it was a modern Penguin story.

That story with Cornelius Stirk scared me when I first read it. And that face...horrible.

Wouldn't Batman be a better detective if they villains did not give him clues?

That story with Cornelius Stirk scared me when I first read it. And that face...horrible.

Cornelius-Stirk.jpg

Wouldn't Batman be a better detective if they villains did not give him clues?

He has plenty of enemies and cases like that. The majority in fact. It doesn't make him any less a detective because he is able to figure out the cryptic clues criminals leave him. Especially when they are not blatantly obvious that they are clues being left for him like Penguin's in Grant's story.

I don't think of Batman as any less of a detective when he figures out Riddler's riddles either.

He's certainly one of the best Batman artists if you ask me (go ahead, ask me). I just love the way he draws Batman...I'm not a fan of the the steroid abusing Batman with manboobs. It's silly.

Me neither. But this seems to be the American ideology: bigger is better. No real use for beauty and elegance... that is why we watch football...

What's even better are all those cool covers from Breyfogle.

That's a good topic of conversation. What's everyone's favorite Breyfogle cover? I have several;

167340-18058-113054-1-detective-comics.JPG

167341-18058-113055-1-detective-comics.JPG

167355-18058-113063-1-detective-comics.JPG

167358-18058-113070-1-detective-comics.JPG

1704733-batman__1940__457.jpeg

Last edited:
That's a good topic of conversation. What's everyone's favorite Breyfogle cover? I have several;

I don't know how to show pictures, but I like the cover where Joker is holding a machine gun, and Batman is behind him. The Holy Terror cover is pretty cool...and I'm not talking about the Frank Miller comic.

And didn't he draw a version of the Detective Comics #27 cover?

I don't know how to show pictures, but I like the cover where Joker is holding a machine gun, and Batman is behind him. The Holy Terror cover is pretty cool...and I'm not talking about the Frank Miller comic.

1818255-batman__1940__451.jpeg

And didn't he draw a version of the Detective Comics #27 cover?

detective-comics-627-breyfogle.jpg

^ You're welcome.

Breyfogle always drew great designs of the characters, especially the villains;

robin.jpg

BreyfoglePengy1.jpg

BreyfoglePengy2.jpg

BreyfogleJoker1.jpg

BreyfogleJoker2.jpg

BreyfogleJoker3.jpg

BreyfogleJoker4.jpg

Did Shadow of The Bat ever make it to graphic novels? I seem to remember having a collectors edition of one that had arkham blue prints and stuff.

Did Shadow of The Bat ever make it to graphic novels? I seem to remember having a collectors edition of one that had arkham blue prints and stuff.

You're thinking of Shadow Of The Bat #1 which was polybagged with a few goodies like Arkham blueprints, bookmarker, a poster or two I think of Breyfogle's Batman and a neat pop-up thingy of Arkham Asylum with the villian's looming over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"