BvS All Things Batman v Superman: An Open Discussion (TAG SPOILERS) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's weird though, because for all the complaints of the film trying to do much, there are endless complaints about all th ethings people wanted to see in addition from each element of it.

When I say "too much," I'm talking idea and character wise. Perhaps they could have left out some things like the bits of world building and simply focused on superman and batman. Those few minutes of screen time could've been used for more Clark stuff or something.

I've seen t-shirts made mocking the Martha thing.

I have seen those too actually. I'm just referring in terms of fb and twitter I've seen way more Sadfleck. He was trending on fb for ages and I've seen it as peoples YouTube pictures

So it seems like Snyder wasn't focused on casting good actors (though Ezra Miller is a great catch). It's like they cast good actors in supporting roles, to help the lesser actors (the leading heroes).

It is not an isolated incident. Not so good actors getting leading parts based on fame and looks (people want leading heros to look some way, especially if based on a known character) with secondary actors providing the acting muscle.

There are many great exceptions, of course, but the situation you describe is not uncommon.

It is not an isolated incident. Not so good actors getting leading parts based on fame and looks (people want leading heros to look some way, especially if based on a known character) with secondary actors providing the acting muscle.

There are many great exceptions, of course, but the situation you describe is not uncommon.
In this genre? These days? I'd say it's uncommon. Marvel isn't doing it. Nolan didn't do it. Fox isn't doing it with the recent X-Men/Deadpool. That's 20 films in the last several years. It's only Snyders universe that's really giving people average actors as leading heroes. Look at the rumoured supporting cast for Justice League? Simmons, DaFoe, Adams, Irons, maybe a Bardem type for Darkseid.

In this genre? These days? I'd say it's uncommon. Marvel isn't doing it. Nolan didn't do it. Fox isn't doing it with the recent X-Men/Deadpool. That's 20 films in the last several years. It's only Snyders universe that's really giving people average actors as leading heroes. Look at the rumoured supporting cast for Justice League? Simmons, DaFoe, Adams, Irons, maybe a Bardem type for Darkseid.

Hemsworth isn't exactly oscar callibre. Nor Scarlett

When I say "too much," I'm talking idea and character wise. Perhaps they could have left out some things like the bits of world building and simply focused on superman and batman. Those few minutes of screen time could've been used for more Clark stuff or something.

This excerpt from one RT review puts it perfectly:

It is too much, and it is not enough. In short: Nobody wins.

Who are you assuming Snyder knows talent? To know Snyder, you gotta think like him.

"Alright Batman, who played Daredevil?"

"Ok so for Lex, let's get the guy who played Mark Zuckerberg."

"For Aquaman lets get Drogo."

"For Wonder Woman, let's get one of the Fast & Furious girls."

"For Flash, let's get an actor who looks like he's on speed."

Hemsworth isn't exactly oscar callibre. Nor Scarlett

Someone hasn't seen Under The Skin, a film where Scarlet barely has any dialogue and the film is entirely about her.

This excerpt from one RT review puts it perfectly:
It is too much, and it is not enough. In short: Nobody wins

I agree with that. Who wrote it?

"A jack of all trades and master of none" was what I was thinking about BvS.

Who are you assuming Snyder knows talent? To know Snyder, you gotta think like him.

"Alright Batman, who played Daredevil?"

"Ok so for Lex, let's get the guy who played Mark Zuckerberg."

"For Aquaman lets get Drogo."

"For Wonder Woman, let's get one of the Fast & Furious girls."

"For Flash, let's get an actor who looks like he's on speed."

Someone hasn't seen Under The Skin, a film where Scarlet barely has any dialogue and the film is entirely about her.

I'll have to take your word for it. Your summary doesn't sound like a film I'll be watching any time soon :hehe:

I'll have to take your word for it. Your summary doesn't sound like a film I'll be watching any time soon :hehe:

I strongly suggest seeing it especially. It's a really really good film shot extremely well, the music is great. And also how do I put this in a way I won't get an infraction or banned. It's nothing violent so to speak but um. Hmm.

We get to see Scarlet and her girls so to speak. Along with other members.

I would just like to say that's not why I saw the film. Had to see a foreign film and write a review about it and my teacher suggest this film and I saw it and I didn't expect to see some parts in the film but I don't regret seeing those lovely parts.

Back to BvS

I strongly suggest seeing it especially. It's a really really good film shot extremely well, the music is great. And also how do I put this in a way I won't get an infraction or banned. It's nothing violent so to speak but um. Hmm.

We get to see Scarlet and her girls so to speak. Along with other members.

I would just like to say that's not why I saw the film. Had to see a foreign film and write a review about it and my teacher suggest this film and I saw it and I didn't expect to see some parts in the film but I don't regret seeing those lovely parts.

Back to BvS

Thanks for the info. I was worried that I sounded condescending. My brother would love it then :hehe:

I have seen those too actually. I'm just referring in terms of fb and twitter I've seen way more Sadfleck. He was trending on fb for ages and I've seen it as peoples YouTube pictures

That's true, but that's dropped off since. I'm now seeing way more "Martha" than Sadfleck, maybe because Ben has been mostly praised for his work, despite the material.
I tried to paste some pics, but I can't from my phone. A quick Google image search on "BvS Martha", or YouTube, will show you what's going on there.

The more I think about this film, especially after having watched Civil War, is that this simply was the wrong time for the concept of Batman and Superman fighting one and other. Cap and Iron Man having a falling out works because not only is there an existing relationship there, the reasons for the falling out stretches all the way back to the first Iron Man movie.

I'm not giving anything away but for both films collateral damage is the cause for the heroes to be fighting, the difference is with Iron Man and Cap there's history there already, it's powerful because you know these two are teammates and you know why they have chosen the side they have. And when they come to blows it's sad, it's not meant to just look cool, it's made to be emotional, it's meant to make you say 'Steve, Tony, please, stop fighting!'.

But BvS isn't that, it's two strangers fighting one and other. Why should we care? The simple fact remains that both characters don't know one and other, and if they don't know each other then you can't really build the tension the same way. What makes it worse is that both characters aren't ideologically that different. No contrast, no difference of opinion, just two people being tools towards one and other. This was simply the wrong time for this concept, it needed to be 2-3 films for this to really hit an emotional height. Instead, it's hollow.

For me Cavill is fine for team-ups, but he's not good enough to lead his own Superman movie.

Oddly enough, I enjoyed Cavill's performance much better in MOS than in the multi-hero BVS. But that could be because MOS actually gave us a few genuine superman moments, even if they were brief.

The more I think about this film, especially after having watched Civil War, is that this simply was the wrong time for the concept of Batman and Superman fighting one and other. Cap and Iron Man having a falling out works because not only is there an existing relationship there, the reasons for the falling out stretches all the way back to the first Iron Man movie.

That was the first issue many had raised after Snyder recited lines from TDKR for his reveal of the title of this film. That TDKR worked because of the history of Bats and Supes. This is the first time they meet. So how are they gonna make it dramatically work?

Of course they were dismissed as trolls and haters.

It kinda reminds me how they were going to adapt Tower of Babel in Justice League Mortal. A story like that needs to come after establishing all the characters

I know everyone loves George Miller now but he had some, imo, not good ideas for Justice League Mortal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"