All Things Wonder Woman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just found out I can see it next Friday. So pumped!

There are many CBM's with great 3rd acts.

Civil War, X-Men: DoFP, TDK had great 3rd acts imo. Many other action movies have great 3rd acts as well.

More Recently IMO Rogue One's third act was the best part of the movie

18645424_439150446477730_8319491127119970304_n.jpg

I just find it hard to believe there is no cynicism in the movie. There can't be hope without cynicism, because there needs to be cynicism for hope to overcome it. The Amazons are cynical about mankind. It's set in World War I. Steve is meant to be more world weary compared to Diana's idealism. Diana does lose some of her naivete when confronted with unexpected truths. She doesn't become a public superhero like Superman either.

There definitely is some. Again, this film is mostly balanced real, real well.

I liked the villain a lot. I don't think he was under written. The movie is called Wonder Woman not Wonder Woman vs villain. The villain is better than red skull, 95% of marvel villains, and is on par with zod for me. I actually like the villain more than zod. I think the war aspect adds to that. There is twist that explains why the villain may not seem to be that present. Just watch it and make up your own mind about it.

Thank You Wanda!! MY HOPE IS BACK AGAIN! I know it's a Wonder Woman Movie but I also want a good villain too. Enchantress was just awful to me

This idea of setting WW sequels in the past during the in the interim of WW1 and BvS makes no sense to me. If it's done, the film will have to once again present a story that is limited in scope. It can't explore Wonder Woman as a public figure who has something to say about and to the people of today. She also has to have an impact on a secret or small scale that doesn't make any headlines or waves, and she has to continue to maintain an attitude of non-participation as a public figure. It also means continuing the trend of having Diana's supporting cast constantly being introduced only to die tragically in the film or age out of her life in the present day.

I'm fine with a movie set in the present with flashbacks to her time between coming to Man's World and BvS, but a movie set in the past in the same way her origin story was doesn't seem wise at all.

This idea of setting WW sequels in the past during the in the interim of WW1 and BvS makes no sense to me. If it's done, the film will have to once again present a story that is limited in scope. It can't explore Wonder Woman as a public figure who has something to say about and to the people of today. She also has to have an impact on a secret or small scale that doesn't make any headlines or waves, and she has to continue to maintain an attitude of non-participation as a public figure. It also means continuing the trend of having Diana's supporting cast constantly being introduced only to die tragically in the film or age out of her life in the present day.

I'm fine with a movie set in the present with flashbacks to her time between coming to Man's World and BvS, but a movie set in the past in the same way her origin story was doesn't seem wise at all.

Are you seriously gonna doubt patty now?? lol just enjoy the ride

And for all those reasons, I don't think they'll go that route.

They don't need to send her to the past, when she can step into a different world entirely with magic realms, Themyscira, etc.

Now, we might well see Steve Trevor in the past in some capacity.

That, and they might want her Justice League friends to be able to stop in and wish her luck. One in particular.

I think they might use Captain America's franchise/character as a touchstone. Audiences really responded well when Cap was taken out of WWII and became a man out of time facing modern threats with The Avengers and elsewhere. I suspect we'll see some thing like that with Wonder Woman.

I made a checklist of things a Wonder Woman movie needs to have and are essential IMO, before any of the filming was disclosed.

I cant wait to compare it, and post it here.

I definitely don't see how they can justify her not helping out during the holocaust now that she
never truly walked away from mankind.
Then again, if she had walked away, it might have been even worse. Turning her back on humanity during the worst genocide in human history? I really hope they address it properly and it makes sense. They better come up with a damn good reason why she wasn't helping out from 1939 to 1945

I think folks need to wait till the second one to actually complain. lol

Are you seriously gonna doubt patty now?? lol just enjoy the ride

This has nothing to do with doubt. I respect Patty, and I think she did a great job with the movie and would do a great job with any sequel. However, I don't take her and Gal's comments to mean they are definitely doing a sequel set primarily in the past, and I don't think you can really enjoy the ride so much the second time if some of what happened the first time around (and subsequently) makes similar installments less organic. For example, I don't want a film to draw attention to the fact that Wonder Woman didn't stop the Holocaust during WWII, particularly since Gal Gadot is Jewish herself, or didn't take a leading role in the Women's Movement of the 60's and 70's.

I think it's possible to tell a story that is set mostly in the present post-BvS and JL that still fills in the gaps of what Diana was up to during the in between years. Using flashbacks, you could tell a story of how she befriended Barbara Minerva (before she became Cheetah) with her in the role of antiquities hunter and Barbara as an archaeologist where the present/main story is Wonder Woman facing Cheetah.

If the sequel is set in the past, I think the simplest solution would be to have Diana return to Themyscira. I don't know if she gets exiled in this movie or not, but if a large enough threat emerges, they can justify letting her go back to the island.

Suppose she returns to Themyscira during WW2, thus explaining her absence. She learns of the atrocities committed during that war after the fact and becomes disillusioned.

If the sequel is set in the past, I think the simplest solution would be to have Diana return to Themyscira. I don't know if she gets exiled in this movie or not, but if a large enough threat emerges, they can justify letting her go back to the island.

Suppose she returns to Themyscira during WW2, thus explaining her absence. She learns of the atrocities committed during that war after the fact and becomes disillusioned.

Boom!

Problem solved.

That's fine, but then that's not a movie set in the past (it's set in a place out of time: Themyscira), and it continues the trend of her movies being about her gradual and worsening disillusionment -- something I'm not sure people would appreciate.

Moreover, I don't like the idea of movies that can't establish and flesh out Diana's world: who she is today and what she means to people in the modern world. It also is a problem to only have a feminist character potentially exhibit feminist messages in time periods where people can comfort themselves with the fantasy that it was the past, and that things are better now. In other words, Diana would only ever confront sexism and the patriarchy as it existed in the past, instead of showing that they still exist today and having her confront those problems as they are today. It reminds me of a show I saw recently where someone spoke to a Native American actor, and he said it's a problem that Hollywood tends to want to include Native Americans primarily in stories that are set in the past. Similarly, there has been a tradition -- one that might be changing now -- where African-American stories were mostly told as slave narratives. By doing so in both cases, modern audiences remain ignorant and untroubled about who Native Americans or African Americans are today and how they fit into present society.

That isn't to say that you can't get a relatable and important lesson from stories set in the past or even in fantasy realms, like the worlds of Middle Earth or Star Wars, but I think it's important that we get to see Wonder Woman and how she affects the modern world as a public superhero and to have stories told about her that aren't so self-contained that they never develop a stable supporting cast for her or for which her fate is known in that we know where she ends up.

I don't like the idea that Wonder Woman would essentially be a static character in the present day DCEU, who we only get glimpses of or check-ins with in the rare Justice League appearance.

Anyway, maybe this discussion would be better placed in the Wonder Woman sequels forum...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"