• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

All Things Wonder Woman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 24

Status
Not open for further replies.
whitney.gif

Well then don't bring up articles in your arguments if you can't remember them.

We discussed the America setting. It doesn't answer the question or prove your point.

The Cold War is about US/Soviet relations. Hmmm....there could be travel involved.
I know what the cold war was about. To truly do a story like what screenrant was talking about it wouldn't be mainly set in America.
American setting is related to this 80s thing and if that part isn't true then the whole thing is bunk. You are the one questioning it. You want to know if it is true find it yourself.
tenor.gif

Last edited:
American setting is related to this 80s thing and if that part isn't true then the whole thing is bunk. You are the one questioning it. You want to know if it is true find it yourself.
tenor.gif

I don't know whether to believe this rumour either but jeez back up your arguments!

tenor.gif

I know what the cold war was about. To truly do a story like what screenrant was talking about it wouldn't be mainly set in America.

I think we should just agree to agree.

giphy.gif

It's going to be a drama like Reds without having to go to Russia.

In all seriousness, I don't have a problem with the 80s thing but I don't want the success of the sequel hindered by what people think about it being another period piece.

The only thing I want no parts of is Chris Pine being anything other than a flashback.

lol

but yeah, the Red Scare is a seminal moment in history. I'm surprised how well Millar was able to convey it.

All this talk makes me want to take out my copy of Red Son and read it again.

It is a very interesting period of history to cover. Though whether we will even see it in WW...

I am actually not that worried about the WW sequel now since we got a great first movie, a great director and team. I am still enjoying that. But it's fun to explore the possibilities and see what they come up with.

I saw this again recently (Wonder Woman #189, when Diana Prince went to China in "Red For Death")

tumblr_mwnghp0cHs1qkchcvo1_500.jpg

In all seriousness, I don't have a problem with the 80s thing but I don't want the success of the sequel hindered by what people think about it being another period piece.

The only thing I want no parts of is Chris Pine being anything other than a flashback.

giphy.gif

If it's a great movie then I don't think most people will care if it's another period piece.

I would not mind at all if Chris Pine/Steve Trevor only ever appears in the first movie.

I would not mind at all if Chris Pine/Steve Trevor only ever appears in the first movie.

Me neither. I like Pine and I loved Steve Trevor, but his loss has been built up quite effectively as an emotional hurdle for Diana. That bittersweet edge to her character is something intrinsic to who Wonder Woman is now, and to McGuffin him back in would be like a cheat.

Ya'll killing me with the Whitney gifs... but I'm rollin'...so thank you for that.

I think period settings, while can be overused in movies, maybe good for Diana. They will allow us to see her opinion change throughout time as she moves about Man's world.

I had an idea about the sequel starting off with action scenes showing us some of her secretive exploits as WW through the years with a nod to the tv show where we see her stopping some criminals from stealing an experimental computer in the 70s... but the movie would take place in present-day.

Ya'll killing me with the Whitney gifs... but I'm rollin'...so thank you for that.

I think period settings, while can be overused in movies, maybe good for Diana. They will allow us to see her opinion change throughout time as she moves about Man's world.

I had an idea about the sequel starting off with action scenes showing us some of her secretive exploits as WW through the years with a nod to the tv show where we see her stopping some criminals from stealing an experimental computer in the 70s... but the movie would take place in present-day.

They will have to explain what Diana has been doing in the last hundred years, even if it is short flashbacks. That would be a fun nod to see Diana dressed up in 70s gear. And that talking computer! :funny:

thumbnailImage

It's pretty clearly going to be set in modern day, maybe featuring some ambassador elements.

They're going to want to continue her story from JUSTICE LEAGUE, not move backward.

It's going to seem disjointed as hell if Wonder Woman keeps jumping from the present to the past. In the Wonder Woman movie it sort of had to jump back to the past from Batman v Superman to set up her origin.
But after Justice League it sort of ruins the pacing to have Wonder Woman in the past yet again. Like are there no current threats that deserve her attention?

Why is it certain? Because Patty said it would happen before she was even signed on, much less actually developing, the sequel?

Personally, I wanted it to be set in the past all along. I would have preferred the '50s or '60s, or '70s to really have Diana be part of the beginning or height of the women's liberation movement, but it's not like misogyny wasn't also doing fine and ubiquitous in the 1980s. I think this is a smart way to really dig into those themes in a bigger way while offering enough distance that you don't risk having to water it down due to marketing fears about offending audiences.

I'm sure we'll get a modern day setting for Wonder Woman down the line. But why rush it when they have an opportunity here?

As for Steve Trevor, I have also speculated that at some point in the film she visits the Underworld and sees him there. If it plays more as a cameo or small role, as opposed to a co-starring part, I am cool with something like that. Bringing his character back from the dead though of course should not happen.

Honestly if these rumors are true, I think they sound great.

They will have to explain what Diana has been doing in the last hundred years, even if it is short flashbacks. That would be a fun nod to see Diana dressed up in 70s gear. And that talking computer! :funny:

thumbnailImage

It would be great to get a 1970s segment as a homage to the Lynda Carter years. That could even be where Lynda has a chance to cameo.

They could have a fun little montage of Gal skate boarding, being a country singer, playing around with a talking computer etc. It really doesn't need to take up a lot of time.

How may of you all out there have a talking computer? It's funny that no one in the 1970s thought of talking telephones.

It would be great to get a 1970s segment as a homage to the Lynda Carter years. That could even be where Lynda has a chance to cameo.

They could have a fun little montage of Gal skate boarding, being a country singer, playing around with a talking computer etc. It really doesn't need to take up a lot of time.

No. Period.

I don't think it is a good idea to inject camp into the movies now but I would not mind a nod to the white 70s suit esp. if it is a spy movie.

tumblr_mk4maxZXnM1qkchcvo1_1280.jpg

Agreed...no unneeded campiness.

That Wonder Woman didn't need it proves that any sequels certainly doesn't either. Keep the camp in 70s-80s era movies.

I would rather the sequel be present day. I want Diana out and proud as WW and not having to 'hide' her superhero-ness, as would happen in another period piece in order to keep her low-profile.

It's obvious in BvS that no one knows about Wonder Woman, whereas now I want her being filmed on as many cellphones and news cameras as possible when she's kicking bad-guy azz! I want her walking down the street as WW, with a beaming smile and enjoying an ice cream cone!:woot:

thumbnailImage

How is she supposed to see what she is typing?:huh:

:o

That Wonder Woman didn't need it proves that any sequels certainly doesn't either. Keep the camp in 70s-80s era movies.

I would rather the sequel be present day. I want Diana out and proud as WW and not having to 'hide' her superhero-ness, as would happen in another period piece in order to keep her low-profile.

It's obvious in BvS that no one knows about Wonder Woman, whereas now I want her being filmed on as many cellphones and news cameras as possible when she's kicking bad-guy azz! I want her walking down the street as WW, with a beaming smile and enjoying an ice cream cone!:woot:

I am very interested to see how she is perceived by the public in the Justice League movie. Will they even know what she did in BvS? Is she still somewhat in disguise as Diana Prince working at the museum? And, as you say, does she freely walk down the street as WW?

I am very interested to see how she is perceived by the public in the Justice League movie. Will they even know what she did in BvS? Is she still somewhat in disguise as Diana Prince working at the museum? And, as you say, does she freely walk down the street as WW?

I'm not sure. Justice League should reflect whatever impact Geoff Johns' oversight of the DCEU will have, so there will probably be a shift away from the Watchmen-inspired stuff from BvS.

But that's a very broad idea, I don't know what it will mean, specifically. Johns did say at one point that Batman's more violent behavior would be addressed in Justice League, presumably so they can move away from that stuff.

There have also been some glimpses of how the other characters will react to Batman in the trailers. Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg all have a specific reaction to Batman that has already been shown in promotional footage (or pieces of those reactions have been shown).

There has been nothing like that for Wonder Woman. But I think there must be some equivalent stuff in the film for her, as it would be strange for them to have no reaction at all (whether they have heard of her previously or not).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"