Altered Carbon

:eek:

Superhero
Reaction score
Netflix Picks Up "Altered Carbon" To Series

By Garth Franklin Wednesday January 20th 2016 08:34AM
Netflix has picked up to series "Altered Carbon," Skydance Television's ten-episode adaptation of Richard K. Morgan's 2002 sci-fi novel.
Set in a 25th century in which the human mind has been digitized and the soul is transferable from one body to the next, the story follows a former elite interstellar warrior who has been imprisoned for five centuries.
Downloaded into a future he had tried to stop, he must solve a murder in a world where technology has made death nearly obsolete - if he does he'll get a chance at a new life on Earth.
"Shutter Island" scribe Laeta Kalogridis will pen, executive produce and serve as showrunner. David Ellison, Dana Goldberg and Marcy Ross will executive produce.
Netflix is aiming to spend about $6 billion on content this year including original series, films and acquisitions.
Source: Variety

I read the book many years ago and I remember that I liked it a lot. However, that is all I remember from the book so I guess I can enjoy the series without knowing to many spoilers :)

The Killing alum Joel Kinnaman is set as the lead in Netflix’s Altered Carbon, a futuristic drama series conceived, written and executive produced by Laeta Kalogridis (Avatar). Miguel Sapochnik (Game Of Thrones) has come on board to direct the first episode of the series, from Skydance Television.

Based on Richard Morgan’s award-winning 2002 cyberpunk sci-fi novel, Altered Carbon is set in the 25th century when the human mind has been digitized and the soul is transferable from one body to the next. Takeshi Kovacs (Kinnaman), a former elite interstellar warrior known as an Envoy who has been imprisoned for 500 years, is downloaded into a future he’d tried to stop. If he can solve a single murder in a world where technology has made death nearly obsolete, he’ll get a chance at a new life on Earth.

Chris Conner (The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story) and Ato Essandoh (Vinyl) have joined the cast of Altered Carbon, Netflix’s futuristic drama series conceived, written and executive produced by Laeta Kalogridis.

Based on Richard Morgan’s award-winning 2002 cyberpunk sci-fi novel, Altered Carbon, from Skydance Television, is set in the 25th century when the human mind has been digitized and the soul is transferable from one body to the next. Takeshi Kovacs (Joel Kinnaman), a former elite interstellar warrior known as an Envoy who has been imprisoned for 500 years, is downloaded into a future he’d tried to stop. If he can solve a single murder in a world where technology has made death nearly obsolete, he’ll get a chance at a new life on Earth.
Conner will play Poe, a centuries-old, highly evolved Artificial Intelligence who currently is inhabiting the psyche of Edgar Allen Poe. He is the proprietor of the Raven, a luxury hotel that caters to the more discerning guest who values the ideals of an older, more civilized age. Essandoh will portray Vernon Elliot, an ex-Protectorate Tactical Marine whose wife was imprisoned and whose daughter was killed. He’s a man with little to live for, save the hope of bringing his family back together. By all accounts, he should be the sworn enemy of Takeshi Kovacs, but their proclivity for violence and family draws them together.
Conner, repped by AKA Talent Agency, played Jeffrey Toobin in FX’s The People vs. O.J. Simpson and also recurred on Bones. Essandoh had a starring role on HBO’s Vinyl and also recurred on Elementary. He’s repped by Abrams Artists Agency, Sinclair Management and attorney Ryan S. LeVine.

This Could Be the First Look at Altered Carbon, Netflix's Very Expensive New Scifi Series

Netflix is diving into the cyperpunk age with Altered Carbon, a 10-episode series based on the bestselling novel by Richard K. Morgan. It’s said to be one of the most expensive Netflix shows ever—and if these first reported images are an indication of what’s in store, it’ll be money well spent.

hnxf08qnxepyz327x5gk.gif

xqea5yq3omzz.gif

So Netflix is reportedly dropping 6 or 7 million a episode on this. I like me some cyberpunk noir so I hope its good.

[YT]qM7Eob4YFDQ[/YT]

:hrt:

Altered Carbon: First teaser trailer for stunning Netflix sci-fi series

It’s the biggest, most lavish-looking Netflix series ever, one based on an acclaimed sci-fi novel, and yet chances are you’ve never heard of Altered Carbon.

So allow us to make introductions as we roll out nine exclusive first-look images — and the NSFW teaser trailer above — of the upcoming drama series from writer-producer Laeta Kalogridis (Alita: Battle Angel, Shutter Island) with a pilot shot by Emmy-winning director Miguel Sapochnik (who helmed the “Battle of the Bastards” episode of Game of Thrones).

in 5-7 years we wont need expensive 200 million theatrical blade runner and GITS movies. we will get 10 episode expensive shows. to bad we wont be able to watch them on the big screen.

visually, this is amazing.
10 years ago, nobody would believe tv will someday be able to compete with films in terms of scope and production value.

[YT]M8PsZki6NGU[/YT]
In the future, human minds are digitized and downloaded from body to body. Last night, the wealthiest man on Earth, Laurens Bancroft (James Purefoy) was murdered. To investigate his death, he brings back ex-Envoy soldier Takeshi Kovacs (Joel Kinnaman / Will Yun Lee) and in exchange, Bancroft offers Kovacs the chance to live again.

Wow. This looks fantastic and I love Kinnaman (except in Suicide Squad) and Purefoy. They're clearly borrowing a LOT from Blade Runner's aesthetic but hell... a lot of sci-fi movies and TV shows do. And since we won't get a Blade Runner 3, this looks like it could be a nice substitute. I can't believe I hadn't even heard of this thing until today.

That article on the whitewashing stuff was a good read and I like the approach they are taking with this. I’ve never read the book so I wasn’t sure if this is how it went in that story (an Asian man’s mind being put into the body of a white man) but now that I know that’s how the story went, you can’t fault the show for following the book. And it does provide for some interesting storytelling opportunities; as the show-runner explains, Kovacs always chooses Asian bodies but the white body is forced upon him, and he understandably has some animosity about that. It’s also a cool opportunity to switch out actors in future seasons, though it would be a shame to lose Kinnaman if he does a great job.

James Purefoy half-joked about how he could be replaced in future seasons because characters replace their bodies in the show.

They probably are already thinking it.

Looks like an interesting show...

Do we know the budget of this vs. Sense8 because I dont want Netflix to take on another big budget show but then decide its to expensive for the amount of viewers it gets.

I'd never heard of it but saw a trailer yesterday that had me intrigued. I'll be checking this out. :)

I finally watched the trailer because I saw a commercial for it on TV. Looks like it could be cool, but it also looks like an expensive CW show...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"