• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Alternative music suggestions.....

D

DoctorWhoCares

I don't know if this has been discussed and I know it's a little late but I've been thinking about Snyder's choice to stylize Watchmen as an 80's movie and I think he made a mistake by hiring Tyler Bates to compose the score. He had the right idea using Phillip Glass' score from Koyaanisqatsi but I think he should have went the whole hog and used old tracks from Vangelis, Brian Eno and Tangerine Dream to score the movie. Even John Murphy would have been my first choice for the score based on his AWESOME work on Sunshine and 28 Days Later. I find Bates overhyped and I can't think of a single score of his that I liked.

Just a thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd have loved something else to end the film.

Hell, I'd take "the twelve days of christmas" played in farts over the MCR song.

I had an obsession with Murphy's Sunshine score once :O

I don't know if this has been discussed and I know it's a little late but I've been thinking about Snyder's choice to stylize Watchmen as an 80's movie and I think he made a mistake by hiring Tyler Bates to compose the score. He had the right idea using Phillip Glass' score from Koyaanisqatsi but I think he should have went the whole hog and used old tracks from Vangelis, Brian Eno and Tangerine Dream to score the movie. Even John Murphy would have been my first choice for the score based on his AWESOME work on Sunshine and 28 Days Later. I find Bates overhyped and I can't think of a single score of his that I liked.

Just a thought.

I've actually really enjoyed the bits of the score that we've been able to hear. Especially the part of the score that is played during Rorschach "break-in" into the Comedian's loft. The music played when Rorschach is breaking into see Dr.Manhattan was also quite captivating and I enjoy the 80' type of synth that is intertwined with great musical direction from Tyler Bates. Just that piece of the score allowed me to feel the mood of that particular scene and I hope the rest of the score can also describe its designated scene in the same way that piece of the score did so brilliantly.

I'd have loved something else to end the film.

Hell, I'd take "the twelve days of christmas" played in farts over the MCR song.

I agree. Your reminder has rekindled my hatred for that song. I don't understand why they couldn't of just place the original "Desolation Row" sung by Bob Dylan which is more suiting for the film.

I agree. Your reminder has rekindled my hatred for that song. I don't understand why they couldn't of just place the original "Desolation Row" sung by Bob Dylan which is more suiting for the film.
Especially when they ostensibly had the rights to it.

Not gonna lie. I prefer using a cover of Desolation Row to using the original song. Is this My Chemical Romance cover the ideal cover? Nah. But the idea of using a cover of that particular song for this particular movie is very appealing to me for some reason.

When I hear Dylan's 'Desolation Row', I can't picture it working good for the end credits of a Watchmen movie. MCR's cover however, I think will work great.

My older brother likes MCR.....and that's not a good thing at all.

cryingdawsoncl1.gif

Last edited:
When I was planning a WATCHMEN film in my head, my ideal score was very Bernard Herrmann-inspired. I especially wanted to hear a score evocative of Herrmann's work on FAHRENHEIT 451 and TAXI DRIVER, if not the actual cues themselves. Part of me still wishes the film had gone that route.

Herrmann's my favorite composer and he would have done an incredible job I'm sure but given Snyder's 80's influence I suggested composers who were relevant at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"