Americans, I have some questions.

Whirlysplat

Superhero
Reaction score
1) Why is American Football split into quaters?
2) Why do all your sports have timeouts?
3) Why do so many american sports have so many different groups of players? Like "special teams". Should "special" guys and regular guys be allowed to play together? Is it safe for the "specials"?
4) Why aren't strategies worked out beforehand and the players allowed to get on with playing?
5) How can a game play with quaters?
6) Why don't players play a full game in many sports?
7) Do batters have more than 2 shots in baseball?
8) Why so much padding in American Football (Gridiron)?
9) Most Basketball players are really tall, how can this sport be of interest to most people?

I have others, but, I would appreciate answers to these.

Thanks.

3) Why do so many american sports have so many different groups of players? Like "special teams". Should "special" guys and regular guys be allowed to play together? Is it safe for the "specials"?
4) Why aren't strategies worked out beforehand and the players allowed to get on with playing?
9) Most Basketball players are really tall, how can this sport be of interest to most people?

Thanks.

i am not american, but i will try to answer some.

the nature of sports in north america is different than football & rugby (which seems like the sports you are comparing to.)

- allows players to get a quick breather, but more importantly gives coaches the ability to discuss strategy with their team and also to change momentum. in american football, timeouts also serve as a mechanism of clock management.

- special teams is a term used to describe specific units of the game, that are not neccessarily part of the regular action but are an important part of the game nonetheless. in american football, this would compromise units like field goal kickers, punters, punt returners, etc. these facets of the game are important to success.... in hockey it refers to things like the powerplay units, penalty kill units.

- strategies are worked out before hand. i dont know where you get the idea that they are not.

- depends on what sport. elite basketball players play almost a full game, probably around 40-42 minutes per game. you have to remember, most north american sports play many more games than european football. there is an 82 game season, plus playoffs. footballers play a full game yes, but some games they do not play at all. american football players, depending on position, play a full game, but there is a high risk of injury in american football, so coaches like to manage their roster and bench players accordingly. in hockey, players play in shifts, because if you have ever played hockey, going all out of skates for more than a minute or two is extremely exhausting.

Thanks.
1. To conserve energy for the players
2. they are used ususally late in the game to
A. Rest the players
B. Figure out what to do next
3. Lolz. yes. they play together. There's the Offensive team, Defensive Team, and Special team. in football. Special teams is where the Kickers And Punters and Kick/Punt returners play.
4. They are. Get it right.
5. It's easy. 2 Quarters = 1 half. 15 minutes long each. 30 minute long halfs.
6. Fatigue
7. What?
8. Cause....Football is rough and if youdon't wear all that padding you'd REALLY hurt yourself.
9. Cause......It just is :cmad:

But these special guys, have the special Olympics, it can't be safe them competing with everyone. I don't care if the "Waterboy" was based on a true story. It's just wrong!!!!!!!

Thanks.

Just have to say I am impressed at the level of awesomeness of these questions.

This being the best

:hehe:

Just have to say I am impressed at the level of awesomeness of these questions.

This being the best

:hehe:

Thanks "Dude", awesomeness is my middlename. Warren Awesomeness Sapp (the waterboy)?

Televised sports have timeouts due to advertising plain and simple....its about money.

Thanks.

1. To give teams a chance to rest and strategize.
2. So the advertisers can air commercials and make money.
3. Sarcasm aside, special teams has nothing to do with a players mental capacity...its the players who handle kick returns, punt returns, and field goals.
4. Plans can change during the course of the game...you might plan for one thing, and have to completely change your gameplan halfway through due to some intangible.
5. Once again, having 4 quarters allows for teams to rest and for commercials to air.
6. Most starting players do play a full game
7. in MLB, a batter usually has 4 to 5 At Bats....a lineup has 9 players and each team has 3 outs per inning and there are 9 innings in a regulation game.
8. a good majority of position players in the nfl are 250 lbs are more...its for safety reasons
9. The US has actually made basketball quite a popular sport throughout the world. I think the NBA has the most foreign born players of any of the professional sports leagues in the US at this point...the NHL may have more.

When I was in Scotland, it took me an hour to explain hockey to these people we met at the pub. But they eventually understood it. And it seems that these questions aren't serious at all. But I admit the term "special guys" is funny.

1. To give teams a chance to rest and strategize.
2. So the advertisers can air commercials and make money.
3. Sarcasm aside, special teams has nothing to do with a players mental capacity...its the players who handle kick returns, punt returns, and field goals.
4. Plans can change during the course of the game...you might plan for one thing, and have to completely change your gameplan halfway through due to some intangible.
5. Once again, having 4 quarters allows for teams to rest and for commercials to air.
6. Most starting players do play a full game
7. in MLB, a batter usually has 4 to 5 At Bats....a lineup has 9 players and each team has 3 outs per inning and there are 9 innings in a regulation game.
8. a good majority of position players in the nfl are 250 lbs are more...its for safety reasons
9. The US has actually made basketball quite a popular sport throughout the world. I think the NBA has the most foreign born players of any of the professional sports leagues in the US at this point...the NHL may have more.

1) must detract from the game
2) must detract from the game
3) That's racist
4) must detract from the games flow
5) must detract from the game
6) Are you sure!!! I guess with all the breaks they might.
7) No I mean shots, or as we brits and most of the world would call them strokes. I mean i've heard of the "punt", any others?
8) Most Rugby forwards are 250+ they wear far less and are engaged in far more dangerous situations. Like Mauls.
9) Yes, but they are all still really tall.

as for baseball...if a player has 4 or 5 at bats...an average player will usually go 2 for 4 or 3 for 4...a lot of that has to do with the skill of the pitcher. You have games where a pitcher will throw a no-hitter, or you might have a game where a team will score 15-16 runs. the NFL is the only game here which has a lot of start and stop. Baseball, basketball, and hockey flow quite smoothly....

1) must detract from the game
2) must detract from the game

3) That's racist
4) must detract from the games flow
5) must detract from the game
6) Are you sure!!! I guess with all the breaks they might.
7) No I mean shots, or as we brits and most of the world would call them strokes. I mean i've heard of the "punt", any others?
8) Most Rugby forwards are 250+ they wear far less and are engaged in far more dangerous situations. Like Mauls.
9) Yes, but they are all still really tall.
'
To be honest, when it comes to professional sports in this country, the "game" is hardly the focus. It's about ad revenue, ticket sales, merchandise sales, marketing, and tv ratings.

'
To be honest, when it comes to professional sports in this country, the "game" is hardly the focus. It's about ad revenue, ticket sales, merchandise sales, marketing, and tv ratings.

Bring on the Budweiser frogs

as for baseball...if a player has 4 or 5 at bats...an average player will usually go 2 for 4 or 3 for 4...a lot of that has to do with the skill of the pitcher. You have games where a pitcher will throw a no-hitter, or you might have a game where a team will score 15-16 runs. the NFL is the only game here which has a lot of start and stop. Baseball, basketball, and hockey flow quite smoothly....

This interests me... Skill of the pitcher. As the ball does not bounce the type of ball is limited. No reading of the pitch. Off spin or on spin at the bounce is available. It means the choicees for the batter are limited. The shape of the bat is also restrictive to the type of stroke played, isn't it.

'

Is sport so unimportant to your nation. We would never stand for that and neither would most of the world!!!!

Is sport so unimportant to your nation. We would never stand for that and neither would most of the world!!!!

I think the UK are the worst for over spending £££ on everything but the sport - just look at football (soccer).

Explain... We do not have quaters.

Where the UK sports lack in quarters to squeeze in adverts on TV we make up for it with the likes of David Beckham stamping his face on things to sell them.

Where the UK sports lack in quarters to squeeze in adverts on TV we make up for it with the likes of David Beckham stamping his face on things to sell them.

That's not the sport though and he doesn't do that, that much in the U.K. I think you guys see more of him than we do. Beckham is a "global" brand! Most of us can't stand him!

That's not the sport though and he doesn't do that, that much in the U.K. Ithink you guys see more of him than we do. Beckham is a "global" brand!

I guess

I just hate his wife. Tangent award I know.

I think the execution of it is different. Your football players are running billboards. Most televised sports here are run on tape delay to allow for commercials...so if you are watching an NFL game on TV, it might seem like a lot of timeouts, but if you are attending live its completely different. None of our pro athletes have advertising directly on their uniforms....its extremely tacky...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"