• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Americans, I have some questions.

I think the execution of it is different. Your football players are running billboards. Most televised sports here are run on tape delay to allow for commercials...so if you are watching an NFL game on TV, it might seem like a lot of timeouts, but if you are attending live its completely different. None of our pro athletes have advertising directly on their uniforms....its extremely tacky...

Tacky it may be, but it stops quarters. Nascar anyone.

Tacky it may be, but it stops quarters. Nascar anyone.

NASCAR is in its own little universe...I think a big part of that is making it easy for people to identify their favorite drivers....its all very colorful.

NASCAR is in its own little universe...I think a big part of that is making it easy for people to identify their favorite drivers....its all very colorful.

It's own little universe in North Carolina - which apart from Nascar is a great state.

NASCAR is actually the second most watched "sport" in the US...its a bit frightening

Seems odd. The track is just one big oval right? No fun there.

There are a few "road courses" mixed in but thats' really about it. You won't see a major US city blocking off roads and basically shutting down for a nascar or open wheel race.

There are a few "road courses" mixed in but thats' really about it. You won't see a major US city blocking off roads and basically shutting down for a nascar or open wheel race.

I think the sports bars that get made due to all of the sports are great though. Best place to be for any sport when watching.

It's like the UKs soccer world cup every day.

NASCAR is the exception to the rule though....the NHL, MLB, NBA, and NFL have absolutely no advertising on their uniforms.

the NFL and the NBA do quarters....the NHL has 3 periods, just like any international hockey and baseball has innings...

college basketball does halves....the game has a quickened pace, but that is really about it. also, you guys over there have a completely different system as it comes to tv coverage and networks. we have 4 major networks that air sports on top of sports centered channels like espn and fox sports....basically pro sports here have a lot more masters to appease than say the Premier League....

college basketball does halves....the game has a quickened pace, but that is really about it. also, you guys over there have a completely different system as it comes to tv coverage and networks. we have 4 major networks that air sports on top of sports centered channels like espn and fox sports....basically pro sports here have a lot more masters to appease than say the Premier League....

The premier league has two now. Setanta and Sky.

1) Why is American Football split into quaters?
2) Why do all your sports have timeouts?
3) Why do so many american sports have so many different groups of players? Like "special teams". Should "special" guys and regular guys be allowed to play together? Is it safe for the "specials"?
4) Why aren't strategies worked out beforehand and the players allowed to get on with playing?
5) How can a game play with quaters?
6) Why don't players play a full game in many sports?
7) Do batters have more than 2 shots in baseball?
8) Why so much padding in American Football (Gridiron)?
9) Most Basketball players are really tall, how can this sport be of interest to most people?

I have others, but, I would appreciate answers to these.

Thanks.

1) I think it's always been that way and there is no particular function to it other than teams changing ends of the field and coaches making substitutions.

2) Strategy, mostly.

3) Special teams used to be something starters did but as the game advanced, players got more specialized. Now, it's a chance for 2nd & 3rd string players to contribute even if they don't play regularly on O or D.

4) They are worked out ( endlessly ) prior to the game but sports are events of constant adjustments.

5) How? Easily: quarters/halves or not. They are similar to periods in wrestling.

6) Some do, it depends of the sport. Some sports are more specialized in position out of necessity.

7) That's one I can't answer. Baseball has gone through a plethora of rule changes over the decades.

8) It's supposed to prevent injury but it really doesn't. I've played my share of sports and the line of scrimmage in football is the closest thing to a gang fight that any sport has. When you put together that much power and size ( college & pro features players where 300-350lbs is the rule, not the exception ) and it clashes, it's a recipe for injury. It's like a scrum in rugby only it's more like a scrum of rhinos.

9) Most people don't have the girth of Sumo wrestlers but it's still wildly popular in Japan. When we see athletes that are inhumanly strong or fast or big or tall, it's more of a lure than a deterrent.

Wait.... do you think when they say "special teams" in football you think they actually use "special people" 2 play?

Whirlysplat,

Was your question answered to your satisfaction, or would you allow someone like myself...a born leader of a sports team, to explain?
(I should have been a coach, but I went into IT)

this whole thread seems to just be a backhanded insult to "american" sports... as if the UK's are better.. the questions were answered and retorted as detracting from the game... meaning... the UK's sports are "pure"

:whatever:

if you dont like american sports dont watch them.. plain and simple... it just so happens... besides soccer... most of the "american" sports are now going global... so if they arent interesting.. be sure to tell it to the rest of the world.. k?

Whirlysplat,

Was your question answered to your satisfaction, or would you allow someone like myself...a born leader of a sports team, to explain?

settle down, Captain America:oldrazz:

Wait.... do you think when they say "special teams" in football you think they actually use "special people" 2 play?

You mean they don't?

this whole thread seems to just be a backhanded insult to "american" sports...

Never I say :)

as if the UK's are better..

Well now you mention it....
Whirlysplat,

Please Malice, I would be fascinated.

Oh and congrats on the Ryder cup...... *clenched teeth*

1) must detract from the game
2) must detract from the game
3) That's racist
4) must detract from the games flow
5) must detract from the game
6) Are you sure!!! I guess with all the breaks they might.
7) No I mean shots, or as we brits and most of the world would call them strokes. I mean i've heard of the "punt", any others?
8) Most Rugby forwards are 250+ they wear far less and are engaged in far more dangerous situations. Like Mauls.
9) Yes, but they are all still really tall.

Stick with Soccer and Rugby... we got out Football, Baseball, and Basketball... here is a question for you....

1) Why do people watch a game of people kicking a ball aroung midfield for twenty minutes?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"