The Amazing Spider-Man Anyone here find this movies villain situation a bit difficult?

The Lizard is the obvious choice, and I hope it's him. But if not, I'd be happy with any of the following: Chameleon, Scorpion, Shocker, even Morbius.

Me and my dad talk about this a lot. He told me something that I sort of agree with. I think there should only be one villain per movie. Look at the series history, SM1 and SM2 both had one villain...good movies. SM3...3 villains...and...well...lets just say it was a boo movie :). I think that a sequel can be great with just one villain

Meh. The X-Men and Blade movies have had success with multiple villains. I think it's all in the writing.

The Lizard is the obvious choice, and I hope it's him. But if not, I'd be happy with any of the following: Chameleon, Scorpion, Shocker, even Morbius.
Hell ----ing no, thank you.

I think that Scorpion and Vulture are good options. They should also consider bringing back Dock Ock, or even GG, if they could do it right. Hobgoblin could still be done if they developed the character. Carnage would be a good option. I'd even go so far as to say that Chameleon and the Jackel could work. I've always liked the idea of a Jackal/Carnage storyline. Of course you probably couldn't do that with the tone and the continuity that we currently have.

He can be done very cool IMO. He's my fourth choice, though.
Well, we all have our own opinions, I suppose. Afterall, I so badly want to see Chameleon turn up as a main villain in one of the installments.

nobody said nothing about Hobgoblin. i think he can be great as main villain with Shocker, Chameleon or Tinkerer working for him. but yea for Spider-Man 4 i think the villain is Lizard with Kraven coming to hunt him.

Love to see Mysterio get the Raimi seal of approval - I do think Raimi would do an wonderfull script for him but the cost may be alot for developing stunning Illusions.

What story? I'd hope for elements used from ASM13 would be useable.

Lizard & Kraven or Chameleon nice villains too.

:grin:

Well, we all have our own opinions, I suppose. Afterall, I so badly want to see Chameleon turn up as a main villain in one of the installments.

Did you not notice who was first on my list?

I'd love to see Scorpion if The Lizard isn't in SM4. I'm not a big fan of Morbius. Hell, I'd rather see HobGoblin or Carnage before him.

I believe that Lizard would the obvious choice.I believe an adaptation of Kraven's last hunt with Lizard in place of Vermin would be perfect.But I don't know if Rami would like the dark tone of the story or if he has even heard of it.

I agree, though I do think the story would have to be toned down quite a bit for a commercially successful Spider-man movie that intends to make money off of toys.
Kraven's Last Hunt has been my favorite Spidey story for 20 years. I'd love to see a big screen variation of it.

In a sense that there arent to many great villains that would make for a good movie

I know Spider-man has a great comic book rougue gallery but honeslt i feel alot of them dont translate well to film in a snse that they might come across stupid or corny

We already saw the big 3 in terms of villains(Dr.Octopus,Green Goblin,Venom) and of course Sandman and while Doc Ock and Green Goblin were done right obviously Sandman and Venom were on the bad end of just a really poorly written script and plot.

I always though Electro would make for a great villain but thanks to Tim Story i doubt that will happen since from some odd reason he gave Dr.Doom electorcity powers(IMO one of the dumbest decisions in comic book movie history)

I think Lizard would maybe come acorss a little to far fetched even for Raimis movies, i mean a man lizard on the loose? idk maybe thats just me i mean it sure is better than Morbius ill say

Kraven, personaly opinion i just dont find him that interesting

Scorpion i think could maybe work but theres the issue of can he hold a movie on its own

vulture, he maybe as well could work but idk the idea of Spider-Man battling some old guy in a bird suit might come across a bit corny

Shocker and Rhino are just thugs and probably would be that interesting to the general public

This movie would have been perfect for Venom to be the main villainif raimi hade put Sandman and GG2 as the villains in spidey 3 and Brock would be a charcter thus setting him up for 4

Idk maybe its just me i just iam not feeling the rest of the villain rouge gallery in terms of what kind of story they can bring to the table

If i hade to pick id maybe go with Scorpion or Lizard

I think I know what you were getting at, but your arguments for your case are not very strong.

To me, basically, it's hard to make any unused villain seem relevant to Peter Parker/Spider-Man. This doesn't always have to be the case, but it begs the question, what does the audience care if not even one villain has no connection to Spider-Man?

The big three are the big three for a reason: Osborn represented Pete's personal life, dad of the best friend, and (in the comics) killer of the first girlfriend. Octavius was Peter gone wrong, he was science and had an ego, and had arms to match. And Brock was Bizarro Spider-Man, he was a selfish jerk, willing to cheat, and (in the comics) bigger, stronger, and knew Pete's secrets.

Everyone else is a glorified thug, which presents a problem. I don't want three more Sandman scenarios, where it's revealed Vulture was actually in love with Aunt May before she married Ben Parker, Chameleon was actually responsible for killing Peter's birth parents, Scorpion was actually in the first Daily Bugle scene in the background, but we just missed him.

Personally, I don't think any villains beyond the combo of Lizard/Kraven can carry a movie by themselves, or necessarily work great together, either. Well, maybe Vulture and Electro. They kind of have a thing going on. But after that we're gonna get a bunch of Batman & Robin movies; whatever villains are left are gonna team up.

Bottom line: I love guys like Kraven, Vulture, Electro, Sandman, Rhino, Scorpion, etc.. But I think to keep the franchise going strong you need to plan ahead, start putting together a coherent "Sinister Six" for the big finish, and bring back some (or all) of the big three in some capacity that makes sense, is relevant, and contributes more to the story than had they otherwise never come back. Which I think they would. Especially a Osborn-led six. Just my thoughts.

I don't think the villains have to have a personal connection to the hero to be interesting and carry a story. That helps, obviously, but forcing it like Sandman is just a detriment. If the threat is good enough, and the set pieces exciting enough, you don't need that personal connection.

I agree on the Sinister 6, though, but I really don't see anyway to bring Ock back, and I don't see anyway to bring Normy back without some contrived device like what they've used in the comics 50 times.

I would just love for them to make a freakin' blurb about the vault so that we don't have to keep killing off all the villains. I mean all it takes is a news report in a simple scene.

Raimi makes it "difficult" only because he tries to get every villain as close to Peter's life as he can get, which is most of the time, not a good idea.

If he had a different idea for Sandman, then he needs to stick with the idea of having just a "stranger" villain, and not let anyone make him do otherwise.

I'd looove to see Scorpion. Problem with him, though, is that the effects which would be utilized would too similar to Doc Ock. As it seems that each film chooses a villain with a new, exciting angle, I fear that Scorpion's killer mechanical tail will be viewed as old hat.

I don't think the villains have to have a personal connection to the hero to be interesting and carry a story. That helps, obviously, but forcing it like Sandman is just a detriment. If the threat is good enough, and the set pieces exciting enough, you don't need that personal connection.

I'm pretty sure in most movies, there's some connection between the baddie and the hero, assuming the villain is human (as opposed to an Alien, a monster, a time-travelling cyborg etc).

(You will note that subsequent films to those examples kept building on the relationship between the "monster" and the hero/heroine).

Lizard is a shoe-in as he ticks the boxes. But will he be the main protagonist, or a secondary baddie? And can his story be sufficiently different from that of Otto Octavius in SM2 to persuade the audience?

There often is, but what I'm saying is it doesn't have to be such a tight personal connection as Raimi has tried to do, succeeding in Doc Ock but failing miserably with Sandman. Having them all be tied into Peter's personal life so heavily just feels forced and far too convenient.

I'd looove to see Scorpion. Problem with him, though, is that the effects which would be utilized would too similar to Doc Ock. As it seems that each film chooses a villain with a new, exciting angle, I fear that Scorpion's killer mechanical tail will be viewed as old hat.
Not that there isn't some truth in it, but I never looked it this way. I don't think most of the audience would. They would see that as a tail of a man acting like a Scorpion. Besides, he can be way more agile than Ock and faster and stronger than Spidey. You can add plasma bolts shots from his tail, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"