Apocalypse Apocalypse's powers in the 2016 movie

Mutant 77

Supreme Keeper of the X-Men Movie Continuity
Reaction score
I know, this is not the right board, but the other ones look empty nowadays.

Well,

Apocalypse's original mutant power:

We don't know. By sure, his skin was grey/blue because his mutation.

Mutant powers absorbed via alien technology (to me, the technology used in the movie was obviously alien):

1- Teleporting field (violet)
2- Persuasion? That could be the way it pushed Magneto to destroy the world
3- Sand/dust manipulation
4- Mutant power enhancement (BUT Archangel's wings were obtained via alien matter manipulation)
5- Regeneration
6- Telekinesis

Alien powers connected to his Celestial Armor and the structure/base (placed beneath Cairo):

8- Superhuman physical abilities
9- Matter manipulation
10- Force Field (without the armor, he is vulnerable)
11- Digital data absorption (not a mutant power absorbed in the Ancient Egypt, that would not make sense)
12- Transfer Process

I would love to get your feedback on this.

X-CONTINUITY
http://x-continuity.blogspot.com

Last edited:
We didn't get his origins at all, just power displays.. starting with the transference that had nothing to do with his abilities. Another reason why it was a bad movie. Where did he get his armour? Nothing answered.

Right they played him up as this revered figure in human history but there was no payoff storywise as to why he would be such a prolific character. It just does telling us not showing why.

We didn't get his origins at all, just power displays.. starting with the transference that had nothing to do with his abilities. Another reason why it was a bad movie. Where did he get his armour? Nothing answered.

What makes a movie good is not just spoon feeding the audience that want pointless answers to pointless questions. It would be like if in Alien before get the plot moving they spent half an hour explaining where the creature came from. Do you think a senseless question like "where did Apocalypse got his armor" should be taking runtime out of the movie? Then why not explain how every single character that appears on screen got his/her suit?

Then why not explain how every single character that appears on screen got his/her suit?
They pretty much did...LOL

They explained the X-men's paintball costumes.

They explained the Horsemen's costumes.

Heck they even needlessly explained the origin of Storm's white hair.

Last edited:
Missed opportunity to have Apocalypse with actual control over his body at a molecular level, being able to turn his limbs into weapons, stretching/enlarging himself to inhuman lengths, etc. A much easier explanation that audiences could have caught on.

Only time that showed up is in an astral plane fight with Charles because Singer's vision is limited like that. I believe the excuse he gave is that he couldn't have Apocalypse squash the X-Men at any point, but like, Jean can create forcefields to prevent anyone from being squatted... Hank has inhuman strength to withstand that too... etc. Singer just doesn't have the imagination for it. Not to mention it's no different than having them face Sentinels.

I think they also didn't have the budget for this:

plot.png

fallxfactor%2B003.jpg

The portrayal of Apocalypse was muddled for sure.

They had Moira deliver some exposition about Apocalypse being born 'tens of thousands of years ago' - that's long before Ancient Egypt - and having a "very specific power set" (as she points to some hieroglyphs... but she never says what powers).

Some tie-in material online said Apocalypse had more than 1,000 different abilities, absorbed over millennia from his various hosts.

In the commentary for the film, Singer describes Apocalypse as having been responsible for the fall of the Sumerians, Assyrians, etc, prior to the Egyptians. One piece of tie-in material linked him to the fall of Atlantis (in 10,000 BC, according to Plato).

But we first see him in about 3,000 BC helping build the Egyptian empire by telekinetically constructing the pyramids. Another piece of tie-in material, which I kept on my computer in jpeg form, shows the Ages of Apocalypse from 3,100BC in Ancient Egypt through to the fall of Sodom and Gomorrah, the Minoans, Myceneans, Greeks and Romans.

The Egyptians were obsessed with gold so the use of this metal in the transference process was a nice touch. Mankind had been fascinated by gold long before that, it's been found in prehistoric caves.

The origins of his armour and how he managed to transfer to a new body prior to the 'ancient tech' used in Ancient Egyptian times is not clear.

I think this is somewhat typical of Singer who tends to operate from vague backstories rather than pinning down details.

It felt like he could do anything they wanted him to do. :funny: I.E. sanding off peoples heads.

I know, this is not the right board, but the other ones look empty nowadays.

Well,

Apocalypse's original mutant power:

We don't know. By sure, his skin was grey/blue because his mutation.

Mutant powers absorbed via alien technology (to me, the technology used in the movie was obviously alien):

1- Teleporting field (violet)
2- Force field (yellow)
3- Persuasion? That could be the way it pushed Magneto to destroy the world
4- Sand/dust manipulation
5- Mutant power enhancement (BUT Archangel's wings were obtained via alien matter manipulation)
6- Regeneration
7- Telekinesis

Alien powers connected to his armor and the Celestial structure (placed beneath Cairo):

8- Superhuman physical abilities
9- Matter manipulation
10- Digital data absorption (not a mutant power absorbed in the Ancient Egypt, that would not make sense)
11- Essence Transfer Process

I would love to get your feedback on this.

It's open to interpretation but i believe Apocalypse's main power was a telekinetic control over inorganic matter such as rock, sand, dust, metal, cement, concrete - and the bone of Angel's body. Bone has organic and inorganic components.

Using this power to manipulate inorganic matter, he built the pyramids, re-made Magneto's helmet, trapped people in walls, sunk the factory workers in the floor, disintegrated Caliban's gun, created Angel's metal wings, etc.

I have no idea about the role of his armour.

The technopathy (psychic link to machines) is an interesting power, since there was no advanced human technology around when he first lived. Yet he knew how to link with the TV and with Cerebro. So the obvious thought is that, like the comic book version, he had interacted with alien technology that had landed on Earth in the past.

I only brought up his armour because it was the thing that he has with him when he took over a new body.. Concept art showed us his ship and in a way this technology he used, like I want to know WHERE his technology came from and its origins.

I only brought up his armour because it was the thing that he has with him when he took over a new body.. Concept art showed us his ship and in a way this technology he used, like I want to know WHERE his technology came from and its origins.
I do think it's a fair ask for the filmmakers to show how he got his armour.

Especially considering that when Phoenix faces off against Apocalypse the camera pans down to show his A belt exploding. He is also ultimately defeated by the X-men, Magneto and the Phoenix because he is gradually stripped of his armour. So what was so special about that armour? He could've had a 1,000 different mutant abilities stolen from a 1,000 different mutants collected for "ten thousand years ago" but all that is moot because he doesn't have any bodily protection?

Last edited:
What makes a movie good is not just spoon feeding the audience that want pointless answers to pointless questions. It would be like if in Alien before get the plot moving they spent half an hour explaining where the creature came from. Do you think a senseless question like "where did Apocalypse got his armor" should be taking runtime out of the movie? Then why not explain how every single character that appears on screen got his/her suit?

This, You pretty much nailed it. The movie was brilliant because there was real mystery surrounding the villain, and so much "backstory" to imagine.

Especially considering that when Phoenix faces off against Apocalypse the camera pans down to show his A belt exploding. He is also ultimately defeated by the X-men, Magneto and the Phoenix because he is gradually stripped of his armour.

I guess the (yellow) force field was coming from the armor. The (violet) teleporting field was a mutant ability, instead.

I don't remember how Phoenix managed to "penetrate" the force field...

Does Phoenix penetrate the (yellow) force field and then strip Apocalypse of his armor
OR
Does Phoenix just strip Apocalypse of his armor and then the force field dissipates?

Last edited:
It's open to interpretation but i believe Apocalypse's main power was a telekinetic control over inorganic matter such as rock, sand, dust, metal, cement, concrete - and the bone of Angel's body. Bone has organic and inorganic components.

Using this power to manipulate inorganic matter, he built the pyramids, re-made Magneto's helmet, trapped people in walls, sunk the factory workers in the floor, disintegrated Caliban's gun, created Angel's metal wings, etc.

It seems to me as the "matter manipulation" power and the "sand" power are two different abilities? I could be wrong, even.
For instance, he never transmuted anything or anyone into anything different than sand?

He made the pyramids via telekinesis. See the DOFP post-credits scene.

We don't know anything about Archangel's wings... were they made of simple metal?

They pretty much did...LOL

They explained the X-men's paintball costumes.

They explained the Horsemen's costumes.

Heck they even needlessly explained the origin of Storm's white hair.

No, they did not, they showed how Xavier lost his hair, how Storm got her white hair, how Angel got his metal wings, and maybe something else, but that was all.

They showed how the X-men got their paintball costumes. In Stryker's Alkali Lake base, the characters are standing around in the hangar and Cyclops opens a door, which reveals several black costumes. For some reason all the costumes fit all the characters as well.

They showed how the Horsemen got their costumes which Apocalypse wills magically out of thin air. The World's First Mutant was also a seamstress. Who knew?

Are you sure you've seen X-men: Apocalypse?

They showed how the X-men got their paintball costumes. In Stryker's Alkali Lake base, the characters are standing around in the hangar and Cyclops opens a door, which reveals several black costumes. For some reason all the costumes fit all the characters as well.

They showed how the Horsemen got their costumes which Apocalypse wills magically out of thin air. The World's First Mutant was also a seamstress. Who knew?

1- Those costumes are terrific, I love them. Well, guess what, we're in a comic book world, unstable moleculas and things like that. NOT HARD to think that the suits are "adaptable".

2- Matter manipulation. Proper and legit.

Guys, this is the DARK PHOENIX forum. Not X-Men Apocalypse

Apocalypse: the first mutant and first fashion designer of history

I have not watched the movie in a while, but you missed my point, whatever.

I already showed you how your memory of the movie wasn't what you thought it was, so your point is moot.

Last edited:
New question:

How did Apocalypse take over Cerebro?

Two theories:

1- When Xavier is attached to Cerebro, they become one mental system. You can hack Xavier as well, if you own technopathy.
So Apocalypse used technopathy to "hack" the Cerebro transmissions running into Erik's mind. Just like he did with the TV...
Through the transmissions, he hacked Cerebro's general system, and Xavier's mind was "fused" with Cerebro. That would make sense.

2- Said that, it's possible that Apocalypse has limited mind control/connection over his Horsemen/the mutants he enhances. This would prove the Horsemen - and Magneto - were not fully responsible about their evil actions.

Anyway from the X-Men wiki (fan written, I know):

Mental Manipulation - His abilities allowed him to possess the mind of Charles Xavier, a mutant with advanced telepathic abilities, after sensing the telepath communicating with Magneto through Cerebro. Through manipulating Charles, he used Cerebro to expand the range of his own abilities temporarily to possess several military officers to make them dispose of the global nuclear arsenal. When controlling a person, their eyes turned completely black.

◦ Mental Shield - Apocalypse was able to shield people's minds and his own from Charles ' telepathic abilities.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"