BvS Asylum v Dawn of Justice

project13

Civilian
Reaction score
Now that the Ultimate Cut is out, I want to talk about the movie and by that I mean the scrapped one we almost had in 2003:

In August 2001,Andrew Kevin Walker pitched Warner Bros. an idea titled Batman vs. Superman, attaching Peterson as director. Abrams' script was put on hold, while Akiva Goldsman was hired to rewrite Walker's draft which was code named Asylum.

Goldsman's draft, dated June 21, 2002, introduced Bruce Wayne attempting to shake all of the demons in his life after his five-year retirement from crimefighting. Dick Grayson, Alfred Pennyworth, and Commissioner Gordon are all dead. Meanwhile, Clark Kent is down on his luck and in despair after his divorce from Lois Lane. Clark serves as Bruce's best man at his wedding to the beautiful and lovely Elizabeth Miller. After Elizabeth is killed by the Joker at the honeymoon, Bruce is forced to don the Batsuit once more, tangling a plot which involves Lex Luthor, while Clark begins a romance with Lana Lang in Smallville and tries to pull Bruce back. In return, Bruce blames Clark for her death, and the two go against one another. Part of the script took place in Smallville, where Clark goes into exile with Lana Lang. However, Lex Luthor is held to be responsible for the entire plot of Batman and Superman destroying each other. The two decide to team up and stop Luthor. Christian Bale, who was being considered for the lead in Darren Aronofsky's Batman: Year one adaptation at the time, was simultaneously approached by Peterson for the Superman role. Peterson confirmed in a 2010 interview the only other actor he approached for Superman was Josh Hartnett. Warner Bros. canceled development to focus on individual Superman and Batman projects after Abrams submitted another draft for Superman: Flyby. Christopher Nolan would later cast Bale as Batman the following year in Batman Begins. In the opening scene of I Am Legend, a large banner displays the Superman symbol within the Batman symbol in Times Square. It is meant as an in-joke by writer Akiva Goldsman.

Say what you want about this proposal but that would be a lot more awesome than the depressing bu#ls@*t we saw in theaters.

What do you think? Which Bats vs Supes movie are you more partial to? The one we had now (Zack Snyder) or the one that could have been (the 2000's Peterson one)?

Um, so Batman retired and everyone he knows is dead; Clark is DIVORCED, in despair, and goes into HIDING.

Sounds SOOOO much less depressing.

Well at least "Asylum" would had some humor (even if it's "buddy cop" funny).

Um, so Batman retired and everyone he knows is dead; Clark is DIVORCED, in despair, and goes into HIDING.

Sounds SOOOO much less depressing.
haha haha

indeed it sound sooooooooooo much less depressing.

i can't stop laughing. lol people are stoned most of the time i suppose.

Well, I was against BvS 2002 back when it was announced, and the more that came out about it, the worse it sounded. It was a weak attempt at reviving the Keaton/Kilmer/Clooney series and the Reeve films.
At that time they were talking about Jude Law as Superman and Colin Farrell as Batman.

While the story is much more contained than BvS, I can't honestly say it would have been better than BvS 2016 , especially if it had been done around 2002-2004.

It probably wouldn't have been as bleak as Snyder's film, but it probably still would have been dark given this was post B&R, and the Superman related scripts at the time had a darker tone anyway. It would have been another misfire which likely would have derailed both characters on film yet again for several years.

Really this website is really great as it has all the spoiler alerts as well as great discussion on every movie. Please visit

A divorced Clark and a Bruce who lost all his allies/partners? Yeah, sounds like fun times. Yeesh.

They could make another documentary along side Superman Lives What Happened, based on all of the horrid aborted Batman and Superman scripts and ideas, leading up to Nolan taking over.

They could make another documentary along side Superman Lives What Happened, based on all of the horrid aborted Batman and Superman scripts and ideas, leading up to Nolan taking over.

That would be pointless. The documentary was made because people know Superman Lives isn't coming out.

That would be pointless. The documentary was made because people know Superman Lives isn't coming out.

I was being snarky bro.

On a side note, there actually is talk of a documentary about George Miller's JLA Mortal production.

Oh. :dry:

The whole point of this thread is to compare notes between two movies that have a similar basic premise but with some differences that set them apart.

The things that are the same are:

*Bruce retiring as Batman then coming back harsher and brutal than ever.

*Clark Kent questioning his place in the world.

*Lex Luthor as the behind-the-scenes manipulator.

*Batman stealing kryptonite in order to gain an edge over Superman.

*Batman batting Superman with powered armor and gaining the upper hand.

*After their fight they team up to fight the villain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"