Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (AVENGERS ENDGAME SPOILERS) Where do we go from now?

RiXi

Civilian
Reaction score
Is this show being retconned? Will they also take the 5 years jump? If so, are we supposed to assume all of them were dusted or some of the team got to live half a decade without their friends? Maybe none of them were affected by Thanos and now SHIELD will have to deal with the consequences of the decimation?

The simplest thing would be to have them all dusted and say the show jumped five years. That's assuming they aren't dealing with the fallout.

That none of them showing up in the movie final battle could suggest it’s after all not canon? One could argue that they were there just off screen though if there is no reference to EG in the new season it’s hard for me to see this as canon.

The simplest thing would be to have them all dusted and say the show jumped five years. That's assuming they aren't dealing with the fallout.
That might serve to fix the time continuity issues of raid on New York, battle of Chicago to Coulson's goodbye and then the snap.

But the easiest is the 14 million to 1 odds that all the primary S.H.I.E.L.D Agents survived the snapture. Because of Mack announcing S.H.I.E.L.D is here at Chicago "big S.H.I.E.L.D" is back in a post snap world and the Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D have a 5 years do anything window to tell stories in the empty post snapture world without stepping on movie plots.

Perhaps the Black Widow proposed movie lives in that world but probably not as she seemed to be the leader of post Snapture world security.

Of them not having a screen shot as part of Captain America's army, we'll I never noticed the Ancient One in the first Avengers movie getting a shot like the NYPD and National Guard did either

Last edited:
I think the hardest part of reconciling the shows is the function of time travel. AoS said they were in a time loop and Endgame's time travel functioned completely differently. Unless you say somehow AoS created a time loop that wasn't supposed to happen like Dr. Strange did, it's a big difference.

I would like to see the show progress in the 5 year Snapture reality.

I would propose if you can accept that time travel via the time stone, the monolith and quantum via Pym particles are totally different processes that even if get you to the same point different fixing the timeline rules would apply.

Just like intergalactic travel via a monolith, the bifrost, and what ever type of jump points used by the Kree in Captain Marvel are all different. With some stories having characters working during the travel and others just showing up at their new destination.

That might serve to fix the time continuity issues of raid on New York, battle of Chicago to Coulson's goodbye and then the snap.

But the easiest is the 14 million to 1 odds that all the primary S.H.I.E.L.D Agents survived the snapture. Because of Mack announcing S.H.I.E.L.D is here at Chicago "big S.H.I.E.L.D" is back in a post snap world and the Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D have a 5 years do anything window to tell stories in the empty post snapture world without stepping on movie plots.

Perhaps the Black Widow proposed movie lives in that world but probably not as she seemed to be the leader of post Snapture world security.

Of them not having a screen shot as part of Captain America's army, we'll I never noticed the Ancient One in the first Avengers movie getting a shot like the NYPD and National Guard did either

Could deke traveling back in time fit in with the endgame time travel theory? when he came back he branched off and created a new reality.

They went forward, things are fixed.

He went back, things changed.

Just a suggestion.

The show in some way tends to give a nod to the films. betrayal during wintersoldier, discord during ultron. gostridder popped up around the time of dr strange. They might mirror the film with part of it aftermath of snap, then a five year jump, then the aftermath of upstate. But i wouldn't mind if the show had a bit of space and worked in the 5 year gap. their story telling is top rate, wait has been to long, looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

That none of them showing up in the movie final battle could suggest it’s after all not canon? One could argue that they were there just off screen though if there is no reference to EG in the new season it’s hard for me to see this as canon.

Why would they have shown up in the final battle?

Why would they have shown up in the final battle?
Because everyone else did? Folks say they saw Howard the Duck after their multiple viewings.

But not being able to spot Waldo on a dark battlefield in S.H.I.E.L.D tactical gear doesn't mean they were not there.

Howard is most definitely there. Not sure how they will explain what happened with the agents though.

Last edited:
I guess we will see in two weeks. Working in the 5 years gap means nothing has to be explained.

I can head canon that time between Tony Stark going missing and the first drop ship hitting Wakanda's protective dome.

If they feel like dealing with it, sure.

Could deke traveling back in time fit in with the endgame time travel theory? when he came back he branched off and created a new reality.

The whole point is that you can't alter your own past. That means his timeline still exists out there in the multiverse. But Deke isn't altering everyone else's past by going back in time, just their future.

AOS season 5 had different rules of time travel to Endgame. They were able to go back into the past to prevent Quake (so it was believed) or Graviton (actually) from cracking the world apart. And Yoyo also saw things that were going to happen.

If Season 6 takes place just after season 5 ended (and I can't remember how it ended), then there's no way it lines up with Endgame at all. How can they
all still be around within those 5 years acting as if nothing has happened?

And how come when SHIELD were in the future, they didn't mention any of the events of Infinity War or Endgame? It was a pretty big thing for half the universe to be snapped out of existence and then for it to continue that way for 5 years.

I don't think the creative team behind AOS even knew how Endgame would end and everyone would be brought back. I'm guessing they thought that everyone would be brought back so that it's still 2018 and no time has passed since the end of Infinity War and the beginning of AOS season 6. Maybe they thought time travel would undo everything, and that it would operate in the same way as AOS.

Also, was the other Fitz snapped out of existence? And what happened if he was and then was brought back? Is he still in suspended animation? Or has he woken up?

I think it's not going to line up anymore such that they will have to make a conscious decision not to mention the movies anymore but to operate as their own independent thing.

It will be like how Dallas and Knots Landing were connected before (one being a spin-off of the other). But then Bobby Ewing died in Dallas and Knots Landing acknowledged this and moved on forward on that basis. But then they retconned the entire season of Dallas as a dream to bring him back, undoing everything that happened that year. But Knots Landing didn't want to undo an entire year's worth of their own stories, so they never ever mentioned Dallas again and it became its own thing. That is, until the 2012 Dallas reboot where the timelines re-converged.

The S.H.I.E.L.D team was in the future many months before Thanos. They returned to our time finding the latest head of Hydra and an alien confederation preparing to take on Thanos who they thought was going old school. Take out the armies and execute half.

So the raid on New York as seen in Infinity War trailers happens then S.H.I.E.L.D has a battle in Chicago stopping the cracking of the earth . Goodbyes are made to Coulson at Tahiti and the season ends. Now Thanos snaps.

If Coulson is about to die, but then gets snapped out of existence, and is brought back 5 years later, is he still about to die? Or is he brought back whole and healthy?

Endgame and and AoS didn't really conflict on their rules of time travel, mainly because endgame played it pretty loose. Both cases state a change in the past creates a second timeline, AoS only believed it was a time loop until they found a way to break it.

It's tough to say how AoS will address it, it's a tough position for a show that wants to be able to tell it's own story when a massive event like this happens and needed to stay secret. It depends on when they found out about the five year gap and things not being undone. Hopefully they were able to get Marvel Studios to give them a vague direction as well as the hiatus helped. Even worse case for that is they find out like the rest of us and can make quick re-shoots and edits at least to the finale. I read somewhere there's a one year time skip for season 6, wouldn't be too hard to change a one into a five. But a year is also a good spot to pick up post snap, you don't have to deal with initial fallout and can just jump into the world's new norm.

If Coulson is about to die, but then gets snapped out of existence, and is brought back 5 years later, is he still about to die? Or is he brought back whole and healthy?
Unless Banner's command was for everyone to comeback healthy I doubt it.

I’m probably thinking too much but if in S5 in the future say timeline A Fritz can’t appear from being frozen? In timeline A Fritz went out with others somewhere between the Earth was destroyed and the Skrull enslaved humans in a space station. While the others say from timeline B (which is the main timeline) could be sucked into future timeline A (from timeline A as present’s perspective they were from the past history) by timeline A alien Enoch via that meltable slab (a conduit like the launch pod in EG), then timeline B Fritz won’t wake up to timeline A naturally without any inter dimensional travel conduit because the Earth remains intact in timeline B. It’s like the old Cap in EG who didn’t go back to the main timeline past and grew old to the present, he somehow went back from the alternative timeline after spending most of his life there to the main timeline?

Okay I’m thinking too much.

I’m probably thinking too much but if in S5 in the future say timeline A Fritz can’t appear from being frozen? In timeline A Fritz went out with others somewhere between the Earth was destroyed and the Skrull enslaved humans in a space station. While the others say from timeline B (which is the main timeline) could be sucked into future timeline A (from timeline A as present’s perspective they were from the past history) by timeline A alien Enoch via that meltable slab (a conduit like the launch pod in EG), then timeline B Fritz won’t wake up to timeline A naturally without any inter dimensional travel conduit because the Earth remains intact in timeline B. It’s like the old Cap in EG who didn’t go back to the main timeline past and grew old to the present, he somehow went back from the alternative timeline after spending most of his life there to the main timeline?

Okay I’m thinking too much.

It's Fitz not Fritz. And it was the Kree not the Skrulls who enslaved humans.

See I am already confused... thanks for the corrections :)

Best case scenario is that the creative team was informed about the 5 year time jump and are operating in that space. It would give them plenty of runway to tell stories about the state of the world and trying to protect it in such a vulnerable state.

Didn't know they were doing season 7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"