Sony Spin-Off Bad Bunny is El Muerto

They do. People tend to get hooked on source material. But often its not about the source material its about how you adapt the character or idea to screen.
I agree, but I do think it's very beneficial to at least have some source material though.
And if you're making a Cinematic Universe about a certain franchise and have a bunch of characters with lots of source material to take from, it's a bit odd to then go making up new characters to get movies instead of using any of those franchise characters you have. Can you imagine if Hancock had been part of MCU phase 1? That'd be weird, right?
Given that Sony has so many characters to draw from that actually have decades of source material, have had their own comic series as a protagonist or at least have had a substantial role in a major Spider-Man storyline, I find it a bit worrying that they choose to go with a character that doesn't really have any story to use whatsoever beyond having a name, ethnicity and a nebulous connection to wrestling over any character that actually has some material. Especially since it seems they didn't pick him because they had a great idea for a story but rather because they decided they they wanted to use a specific non-actor as a lead due to name popularity and then had to go find something he could play.

Bad Bunny could just be a big wrestling fan and wanted to play a wrestler character. Not surprised, but it seems like people are looking for a reason to hate. I don't think it's that deep

I don't have much faith in the movie, but it has nothing to do with the characters chosen. Never even heard of Guardians of the Galaxy before their movie and even their movie kinda throws much about the source material out the window.

EDIT: Actually yeah Bad Bunny is just a huge wresting, or at least WWE fan. I'm sure SONY knew that and approached him with it or vice versa
Bad Bunny is a fan of pro-wrestling, and World Wrestling Entertainment is a fan of Bad Bunny
Bad Bunny, Wrestling Fan: His 10 Best Tributes – Billboard

Last edited:
Bad Bunny could just be a big wrestling fan and wanted to play a wrestler character. Not surprised, but it seems like people are looking for a reason to hate. I don't think it's that deep

I don't have much faith in the movie, but it has nothing to do with the characters chosen. Never even heard of Guardians of the Galaxy before their movie and even their movie kinda throws much about the source material out the window.
Do movies that are part of a Cinematic Universe usually get made just because a (non-actor) celebrity wants to play them? If Drake went to Marvel Studios today and said "I want you to make a movie about the inhuman Mosaic starring me because he's a superhero basketball player and I like basketball", about when can we expect to get that movie in the MCU? I think that making a movie about a complete nobody just because a celebrity wants to play them is at the very best a very risky move. And when you're trying to establish a shared universe where you need a foundation of several good movies and your recent attempts at setting it up haven't been the greatest, perhaps it would be smarter to start with a character that has something - anything - going for them and make sure you have writers/a director who have a vision for that character, instead of seemingly announcing it on nothing but the celebrity actor attached to it?

It's not so much that I hate that this movie is happening. It's just that I think Sony continues to come across as profoundly, bafflingly incompetent and somehow incapable of prioritizing the right things.
Oh and also that the general audience can't always distinguish between who make these movies, and it annoys me when I see people say things like "Morbius is the worst movie Marvel has made" and stuff like that.

Last edited:
Sony: "We'll call it 'Sony's Spider-Man Universe.'"
Also Sony: "Let's not include a Spider-Man."

I don't get what they're doing. They have Ben Reilly. They have Miles Morales. They have Gwen Stacy. They have Jessica Drew. They have Miguel O'Hara. They have other Spider characters to choose from if they wanted to build their own pocket universe and not ruin the current arrangement with Peter Parker over at Marvel Studios.

Sony building a universe around Scarlet Spider sounds genuinely ****ing cool to me. It's right there.

Last edited:
It has precisely 0% impact on my life that Bad Bunny wants to make a wrestling CBM. Let him do his thing. Nacho Libre, a film I do like actually, is the closest thing the genre has to a flick like this. So yeah, I don’t see the harm.

Yeah....I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion, but mine is that Spiderverse seems a little cramped. Maybe that's because I can't help but compare it to the DCEU and MCU. I'm not saying it "can't" work because I believe it can if Sony gets their act together; which I don't have a lot of hope for. Even if it does take off and becomes popular, it still just feels smaller. That's not necessarily a bad thing and I would pay good money to go see some Spiderverse characters if the movies were good, but it just doesn't seem to have the room that the other 2 have.

Sony: "We'll call it 'Sony's Spider-Man Universe.'"
Also Sony: "Let's not include a Spider-Man."

I don't get what they're doing. They have Ben Reilly. They have Miles Morales. They have Gwen Stacy. They have Jessica Drew. They have Miguel O'Hara. They have other Spider characters to choose from if they wanted to build their own pocket universe and not ruin the current arrangement with Peter Parker over at Marvel Studios.

Sony building a universe around Scarlet Spider sounds genuinely ****ing cool to me. It's right there.
Jessica Drew on screen would be wonderful and they could do a few movies about her that would interest me greatly (if they were good movies). I'm sort of baffled by not having her front and center. Way, WAY more interesting than Madame Web, Morbius, Kraven, etc.

Last edited:
Do movies that are part of a Cinematic Universe usually get made just because a (non-actor) celebrity wants to play them? If Drake went to Marvel Studios today and said "I want you to make a movie about the inhuman Mosaic starring me because he's a superhero basketball player and I like basketball", about when can we expect to get that movie in the MCU? I think that making a movie about a complete nobody just because a celebrity wants to play them is at the very best a very risky move. And when you're trying to establish a shared universe where you need a foundation of several good movies and your recent attempts at setting it up haven't been the greatest, perhaps it would be smarter to start with a character that has something - anything - going for them and make sure you have writers/a director who have a vision for that character, instead of seemingly announcing it on nothing but the celebrity actor attached to it?

I mean yeah
BoP happened because Robbie wanted it as her next Harley appearance. It was her pitch. Didn't do to well at the box office, but it has a strong cult following. Not cinematic universe but the Uncharted movie was Tom Holland's brain child. Never saw it, no interest in seeing it, but it has it's fans and it did decent at the box office. Blade is happening just because Mahershala Ali approached Feige with it. It wasn't on the Ali was announced before a writer and director were attached too I'm pretty sure. Happens all the time in Hollywood. Actor pitches a role and execs trip over to lock them down. Or an exec likes an actor and pitches it to the actor. Tale as old as time. Bad Bunny may be only starting as an actor with a role in Bullet Train and a small role in Narcos Mexico (need to catch up)but he seems to want to make the transition like many before him. Standard op

Idk I think the fact that he's playing a smaller character is actually better. Like that makes it even less of a risk. If it fails, it's not gonna set the El Muerte franchise//character back like it would if you make a movie about a major character like Green Lantern. It's not like Bad Bunny walked in and said
Bad Bunny: "I want to be Wonder Woman"
Sony Exec: "Well, Mr. Bunny. We don't own the rights to Wonder Woman. And b) you dont identity as a woman so that might be an issue..."

And it's not like they don't have foundation with Venom that people show up for. And we don't know if people are gonna show up for Kraven (more likely) or Madame Web (less likely). Those could also provide a foundation. Basically the SCCU has released 3 movies so far Only one of which was a critical and commercial failure. So 2/3 movies worked with audience on some level. 66%. (only needed 3 more). That's a fine foundation.

He's a 28 year old Puerto Rican kid who is getting to live out his dreams of being a wrestler (both in the WWE ring and a movie) and probably living out some childhood fantasy a superhero too. And he's playing a nobody character. And as of the writing of this post, I don't think it's been revealed that he's problematic. I don't see why that gets people worked up. Especially for a character like El Muerte
I kinda get it when it comes to characters like Venom because he's a premier character for Marvel. I get it a bit when it comes to Kraven because 1) Kraven has never been done in live action and he's a big character for Spider-Man 2) Ryan Coogler wanted to use Kraven in BP but isn't allowed it. But for El Muerte or even Madame Web? Who cares? Why get pressed about movies made about characters you have no interest in? I have no interest in a Barbie movie. Never got the appeal of Barbie. Actually think Barbie is really really really dumb. But I'm not gonna complain for years (which is what's gonna happen with this movie) about how it's silly that they're making a movie

It's not infringing on anything, so far as I know Bad Bunny isn't a bad person, and it's not like we're getting a plethora of a) SH movies starring Latin American/Hispanic performers, b) a bunch of SH movies starring wrestlers.

Not saying it's gonna be good, that Bad Bunny can act, etc. But this just seems like such an odd project for people (not saying you) to get in their feelings for. Especially when we literally have 2 details. It's gonna star Bad Bunny and he's playing a wrestler.

NzOgG5E.gif

It's not so much that I hate that this movie is happening. It's just that I think Sony continues to come across as profoundly, bafflingly incompetent and somehow incapable of prioritizing the right things.
Oh and also that the general audience can't always distinguish between who make these movies, and it annoys me when I see people say things like "Morbius is the worst movie Marvel has made" and stuff like that.
Eh that doesn't bother me. I mean not everyone spends their times following what studio owns what.It is what it is.
And in any case, that's way less annoying han a bunch of young adults/adults whining about a movie featuring a character they don't care about in a movie that doesn't infringe on anything and is completely optional to watch :shrug:

Last edited:
It has precisely 0% impact on my life that Bad Bunny wants to make a wrestling CBM. Let him do his thing. Nacho Libre, a film I do like actually, is the closest thing the genre has to a flick like this. So yeah, I don’t see the harm.
Bro Exactly. That's my POV. Whats the harm? If/when the movie turns out bad, it's not hurting the MCU and it's not like it's a character they can "ruin" because EL Muerte is already barely a character

Jessica Drew on screen would be wonderful and they could do a few movies about her that would interest me greatly (if they were good movies). I'm sort of baffled by not having her front and center. Way, WAY more interesting the Madame Web, Morbius, Kraven, etc.
Aren't they doing that with Olivia Wilde or something?

Aren't they doing that with Olivia Wilde or something?
I've heard that, but don't recall any confirmation of it. My point, though, is that why in the world is Sony messing around with Morbius, Kraven, and Madame Web with Jessica Drew, seemingly, on the back burner? That makes no sense whatsoever to me.

I mean, honestly, would you rather go see a Kraven and Madame Web movie than one with Jessica Drew in the starring role?

I mean yeah
BoP happened because Robbie wanted it as her next Harley appearance. It was her pitch. Didn't do to well at the box office, but it has a strong cult following. Not cinematic universe but the Uncharted movie was Tom Holland's brain child. Never saw it, no interest in seeing it, but it has it's fans and it did decent at the box office. Blade is happening just because Mahershala Ali approached Feige with it. It wasn't on the Ali was announced before a writer and director were attached too I'm pretty sure. Happens all the time in Hollywood.

I don't think any of those were made just because of the talent. Robbie was already playing Harley, it's not like they introduced Harley just because Robbie said "Hey, I want you to make a Harley Quinn movie with me in the lead". Holland with Uncharted is a standalone movie, which isn't really comparable to selecting which character to be the next to headline a part of your planned Cinematic Universe. The Blade one is the closest to this case. But even then I think that if either Mahershala Ali came to them and said "I want to make a Stunt-Master solo film" or if The Weeknd came to them and asked them to make a Blade movie starring him they would have the sense to say no, is what I'm getting at.

Idk I think the fact that he's playing a smaller character is actually better. Like that makes it even less of a risk. If it fails, it's not gonna set the El Muerte franchise//character back like it would if you make a movie about a major character like Green Lantern.
This much is definitely true. In fact I'd go so far as to say that this goes even further. Even if this movie is a total flop, hell even if it never gets of the ground, it only has the potential to get El Muerto into the minds of people and create potential for the character to be expanded upon in the comics or something. I'm always in favour of revisiting and expanding more obscure and forgotten characters. At least it beats repeating the same few characters endlessly. And even if it's the worst movie of all time at least it won't be like with Venom and Morbius who deserved better.

He's a 28 year old Puerto Rican kid who is getting to live out his dreams of being a wrestler (both in the WWE ring and a movie) and probably living out some childhood fantasy a superhero too. And he's playing a nobody character. And as of the writing of this post, I don't think it's been revealed that he's problematic. I don't see why that gets people worked up. Especially for a character like El Muerte
Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Bad Bunny as a person. I just question the decisions by Sony execs to take such a financial risk on him instead of just having him play himself like Little Simz in Venom 2 or start out as a supporting character with potential for growth in sequels or something.

But for El Muerte or even Madame Web? Who cares? Why get pressed about movies made about characters you have no interest in? I have no interest in a Barbie movie. Never got the appeal of Barbie. Actually think Barbie is really really really dumb. But I'm not gonna complain for years (which is what's gonna happen with this movie) about how it's silly that they're making a movie
It's not so much that I'm pressed about this movie being made as much as it is just bewilderment at Sony continuing to make the choices they make. Everything they've done for over a decade with their live action Spider-Man stuff I just can't wrap my head around and it continues to reek of decisions being made not with a coherent creative vision for what they want their movies to be but a cynical attempt by out of touch execs to somehow make money by wildly throwing IP and celebrity names around. So it's not like I'm mad at them for making it, but it feels more like seeing someone who isn't close to me at all continue to make terrible life decisions. Sure, it has no real bearing on my life but I still can't help but feel some kind of second-hand embarassment for them and feel mildly dejected at potential seemingly being wasted.

The only two things I guess would be mild criticisms of this movie being made would be
1. Ideally I would have wanted for Sony to make a series of movies that I actually like. If things had gone differently I (and anyone else who feels the same) could've had more Marvel movies to look forward to every year. Maybe it would've even been exciting for there to be some crossover with the MCU and maybe Marvel would've been more willing to let Sony make MCU adjacent content if Sony showed they could reliably make good movies. But since we're 3 movies in and I haven't really liked any of them (I haven't watched Morbius but know enough to know I won't like it) I guess it's too late for that anyway.
2. They could have used the money to make something that at least someone, somewhere in the world has been waiting for. Even if most characters they have aren't hugely popular A-listers, I'm sure someone somewhere has been waiting to see Silver Sable or Prowler or Cardiac or Rocket Racer on the big screen. If that would make at least 1 person happy that would be better imo than using what is essentially an original character.
3. Seeing people attribute Morbius' suckiness to Marvel Studios just feels wrong on some level. I know that logically it's just a drop in the bucket and in general audiences aren't going to not watch Doctor Strange or Thor due to disappointment in Morbius or El Muerto, but just seeing people get upset at Marvel for things they didn't have anything to do with still seems off.

I really hope I'm wrong and this movie is somehow an amazingly fun movie that completely surprises me, but at this point I feel like I'd be fooling myself if I even believed there was some probability that it will be.

Last edited:
, I'm sure someone somewhere has been waiting to see Silver Sable or Prowler or Cardiac or Rocket Racer on the big screen.

Funny thing is i knew who Morbius from the 90s animated series. He had several episodes in that show. While these 3 names you mentioned are far less known to me except for prowler.

So in that respect. i dunno if these 3 really are much better than Morbius. Its all a risk in the long run. But then most films are.

Last edited:
Funny thing is i knew who Morbius from the 90s animated series. He had several episodes in that show. While these 3 names you mentioned are far less known to me except for prowler.

So in that respect. i dunno if these 3 really are much better than Morbius. Its all a risk in the long run. But then most films are.

Oh no, Morbius is definitely more well known than those guys. In fact before we knew anything about Sony doing Morbius I even had a small amount of hope that a Morbius movie could be good or even that one day Sony and Marvel would come to a deal that'd allow Marvel to use more of Sony's characters somehow to have Morbius maybe show up with Blade or Midnight Sons or something. Definitely am not hoping for this Morbius to touch the MCU anymore than it has now though.

What I meant was that even though I might not like this Morbius or even this Venom, I'm sure there are fans of those characters who are happy to see them in a movie even if they are like this. In fact I know there are some fans of comic Venom who like Sony's version. In the same way if they had made Silver Sable or Prowler or Cardiac or Rocket Racer, even though those characters are even less popular than Venom and Morbius, there's still a decent chance it would make some people's day to see them on the big screen in any form because at least they might have had an important role in the comics someone grew up with. El Muerto on the other hand, I don't think a single person on this Earth was hoping to one day see adapted.

So that isn't a joke?!!!. I don't like the music of Bad Bunny but he have nice acting skills. The problem with this movie, if you can call it like that, is that is about a character that only appeared 2 issues and no one remembers about him until now. Even Marvel Comics doesn't remember his creation. And they tell me they gotta make a character that only has two appearances having a one hour movie. Ay Sony you have a lot of characters form the spider-man universe even you can take an alternate version of Spider-Man that isn't Peter Parker to become the spidey of your universe but really El Muerto. Man you can even put Spider-Man Punk in your universe but why El Muerto i don't understand and i'm latino.

So for now with Sony I'm Like :
If-you-expect-disappointment-then-you-can-never-really-be-disappointed.jpg

I can get behind El Muerto, but the fact that Sony is goi g around touring this as the first Latino-led Marvel film, while insisting on having the white writers behind Morbius says everything.

It’s going to be a film full of stereotypes and Latino tropes. Hope Bad Bunny pulls out of it.

I'm assuming this has a budget of less than $50 million.

This screams 1 and done. But if it as cheap as I think it is, a sequel is possible if it does okay at the boX office.

This is currently set to release January 12, 2024 but now that Madame Web comes out February 16, 2024, El Muerto must surely move to a later date.

This is currently set to release January 12, 2024 but now that Madame Web comes out February 16, 2024, El Muerto must surely move to a later date.
I kinda hope they cancel it.

Like if Sony wants to solo movies for Chameleon, Spot, Hammerhead and those who haven't appeared in a Spider-Man live action movie, okay.... its just gonna follow the footsteps of Venom, Morbius and Kraven. But El Muerte.... I feel like this is going to be the new low for Marvel movies.

I don't think this movie is happening. Sony was overly optimistic about this series of movies with Spider-Man villains based on Venom's success. Since then Let There Be Carnage made half the money the first film did overseas and Morbius flopped hard. I very much doubt that Kraven and Madame Web won't have the same fate. So they probably want to wait and see what will happen with these before going into production with El Muerto.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"