Batman 89 vs Batman Begins

Why does Goyer get credit for all the bad things in TDKT but none of the good things.

He's officially the Avi Arad of the Bat-universe.

I have given him credit for the story. The structure of it is great. But the dialogues are often really bad and the movie survives because the actors are insanely good (except for Holmes and Murphy IMO).

As much as I love both, I have to go with 89. I feel that it's the better package overall.

One of the few things I would change with BB would be toning down the fear drinking game stuff. :hehe:

I think Keaton is the better Batman, Bale is the better Bruce Wayne.

Batman Begins got me into Batman and made me watch all the other movies, while still thinking Nolan's was the true version of the character and franchise, but as years passed, i started to realise how better the 89 movie was, only thing that drags it down a little for me is Joker as the killer of Bruce's parents, as well as the portrayal of his father in the flashbacks, where he seems like a maniac whose actions end up getting his wife killed too.

Batman '89 is a far better origin story. We get to know about Bruce Wayne without ruining the mystery. We know that he has traveled extensively around the world without wasting half the movie showing it:

original.jpg

The movie offers us subtle hints about who Bruce Wayne is:

batman48upside.jpg

emptyseatwayne.PNG

gordonandyoungbruce.PNG

I highly prefer that element of mystery. It's also better narrative-wise. I don't feel like I'm being treated like an idiot that needs everything explained to him.

To me, Batman '89 is the only movie that truly captured the essence of Batman.

I think 89 is a good popcorn Batman movie but overrated because it was the first ever.

Ill take Begins because it's more my cup of tea. I usually don't like camp in movies unless it's Spidey which calls for it or something straight out of my childhood (80s, 90s). So that's why I like Batman 89. But if it came out today id probably dislike it to be honest.

Plus Begins is just that Denny O'Neil, Frank Miller Batman that I love. A lot of the stuff that influenced the Burton/Shumacher movies is just not what I like reading.

Agreed. Batman Begins actually invested in Batman's character and made me care about him. In Batman '89 he felt like an after thought in the Joker's origin movie.

Batman Begins. Its the movie I had always hoped to see but thought I never would. Both BB and TDK are my favourite films for different reasons.

I saw Batman in 1989 as a 14 year old, it was the first time 'we' or I had anything near to a Batman I'd been reading most of my life, that summer was so special and the film was a great cinema experience.

I watched Batman Begins as an adult and film maker myself and saw a Batman film I'd waited all my life to see, a true reflection of what makes Batman 'Batman'.

Begins wins for me, beacuse it's a complete viewing experience, better film making, better story telling and back story to Bruce and his life, better composition of narrative and an understanding of the character.

Yes, I love Burton's Batman, but I love it for the reasons I liked it as a influenced teenager, it was the first Batman I'd seen without any (ish) camp attached and a strong Batman / Joker relationship but Begins is, for me, the most emotionally engaging cinematic experience I've had beacuse I got the Batman I'd been waiting for since me being 5 years old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"