Battlestar Galactica The Movie!

eh, the show's been over for like 2 years now right? is caprica even still going? i never kept track of it. while he wasn't suited for superman, i do like singer as a director, i can't wait to see his "jack the giant killer" and hope he gets around to that Excalibur film i heard he was attached to. i think he could do rather well here.

As a fan of the 70's version, I'm actually looking forward to a big screen adaptation. I only hope it doesn't include a lot of the cheesiness of the show.

Looking forward to Jack the Giant Killer, but I'm wary of BG. I think Singer can be far too nostalgic if he likes a property.

I dont like this, sure the tv-series wouldnt disappear, but this movie doesnt need to be done. No-one is going to out-adama Olmsos so why even try?

I'm not sure what to think about this. Taking the 1978 tv-series and turn it into a movie seems, to me, pointless and obviously this project will be in the shadow of the 2003 tv-series. But that doesn't mean that I'll outright dismiss it but, for now, I'm not interested in this movie at all.

eh, the show's been over for like 2 years now right? is caprica even still going? i never kept track of it. while he wasn't suited for superman, i do like singer as a director, i can't wait to see his "jack the giant killer" and hope he gets around to that Excalibur film i heard he was attached to. i think he could do rather well here.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that project has been axed.

I'll admit that I wasn't quite satisfied with the way the 2000s reboot series concluded. I think that the post-nuclear earth was setting up for a time travel plot where some of the characters have to travel to modern-day earth to prevent the bombs from dropping and get Earth to start building a fleet that can help fight the hostile Cylons, which I think would have been a better way to finish the series. Essentially, you'd have a final battle where the fleet joins forces with the Earth's first Battlestar and they all defend earth in a final battle. For whatever reason though, we got the whole thing where the post-nuke earth wasn't the real earth, and that it's all actually in the distant past.

However, I still think it's kind of dumb to do ANOTHER reboot already. I don't think they're really going to top the show even if they find a better ending for it. I'll give it a chance but I have a feeling that the show will remain the definitive BSG experience. It's a rare example of the remake surpassing the original, and my expectations aren't too high for a remake of a remake that already outdid its source material.

Last edited:
^ Oh dear god no! No offence or anything Timstuff :) But I'm really happy that you werent writing the series.

‘Battlestar Galactica’ Movie Gets New Life at Universal (EXCLUSIVE)

Universal is ramping up a movie version of the sci-fi franchise “Battlestar Galactica,” aiming to develop the film as a complete reimagining of the story.

“Transcendence” writer Jack Paglen has signed on to write the screenplay. Paglen has also committed to Ridley Scott’s “Prometheus” sequel for Fox, which will start production this fall.

Original series creator Glen Larson will produce the film.

“Battlestar Galactica” generated two TV series. The first, starring Lorne Greene and Richard Hatch, ran during 1978-79 season and was centered on humans living on the Twelve Colonies planets and being engaged in a lengthy war against a cybernetic race known as the Cylons.

In 2003, a re-imagined “Battlestar Galactica” mini-series aired on Sci-Fi Channel. The second series, starring Edward James Olmos and Mary McDonnell, then ran for four seasons.

In 2009, speculation emerged that Bryan Singer was attached to direct a “Battlestar Galactica” movie.

Universal’s exec VP of production Scott Bernstein and director of development Jay Polidoro are overseeing the latest version of “Battlestar Galactica” for the studio.

Variety.com

‘Battlestar Galactica’ Movie Gets New Life at Universal (EXCLUSIVE)

Universal is ramping up a movie version of the sci-fi franchise “Battlestar Galactica,” aiming to develop the film as a complete reimagining of the story.

“Transcendence” writer Jack Paglen has signed on to write the screenplay. Paglen has also committed to Ridley Scott’s “Prometheus” sequel for Fox, which will start production this fall.

Original series creator Glen Larson will produce the film.

“Battlestar Galactica” generated two TV series. The first, starring Lorne Greene and Richard Hatch, ran during 1978-79 season and was centered on humans living on the Twelve Colonies planets and being engaged in a lengthy war against a cybernetic race known as the Cylons.

In 2003, a re-imagined “Battlestar Galactica” mini-series aired on Sci-Fi Channel. The second series, starring Edward James Olmos and Mary McDonnell, then ran for four seasons.

In 2009, speculation emerged that Bryan Singer was attached to direct a “Battlestar Galactica” movie.

Universal’s exec VP of production Scott Bernstein and director of development Jay Polidoro are overseeing the latest version of “Battlestar Galactica” for the studio.

Variety.com

It seems like Singer may have bolted due to renewed commitment to X-Men franchice. I was looking forward to what he would do here even though glad he's directing X-men films again.

I hate to tell reimaged fans but Glen Larson Is producing and he is no fan of the reimaged version. If they look at any version with him involved It would
be original. Still this report hints at brand new take on galactica.

What, a THIRD version? The concept wasn't THAT good!

They should genderbend EVERYONE just to see what would happen.

A third version?

No...just no. Did I mention...No.

I'm split on this, and let me tell you all why:

From Universal's standpoint it makes sense:

1.) It's a brand name.

2.) Sci-Fi, especially Space Operas, are making a comback. This is a no-brainer for them business-wise.

Bad news:

1.) We already have a great, modern take on the franchise with the SyFy series. Not only was it a completely fresh take on the old show, it was forward-thinking, fresh, and was able to separate itself from the 'Star Wars' stigma that the original had.

I can bet you whatever great choices the SyFy show made, this film version could either destroy it all, and take several steps back (Female Starbuck was a great idea that no one saw coming at first); or it'll just ride the coattails of the SyFy show, but make it more explosivey and stupid.

Last edited:
I agree. I get why Universal wants to do this, I do. It makes sense for them. I just feel like we all too recently had the best contemporary version of this story that we could get, so I have absolutely no interest in seeing another one.

Yeah, I just don't think they'll do anything remotely interesting with the property.

All of this has happened before, and all of it shall happen again.

I wish that they had continued with Caprica.

Last edited:
I'm split on this, and let me tell you all why:

From Universal's standpoint it makes sense:

1.) It's a brand name.

2.) Sci-Fi, especially Space Operas, are making a comback. This is a no-brainer for them business-wise.

Bad news:

1.) We already have a great, modern take on the franchise with the SyFy series. Not only was it a completely fresh take on the old show, it was forward-thinking, fresh, and was able to separate itself from the 'Star Wars' stigma that the original had.

I can bet you whatever great choices the SyFy show made, this film version could either destroy it all, and take several steps back (Female Starbuck was a great idea that no one saw coming at first); or it'll just ride the coattails of the SyFy show, but make it more explosivey and stupid.

I disagree with you that the SyFy series is that great to begin with. While it is great to have strong and interesting characters, the series eventually became too melodramatic and lost the "fun" factor. In addition, while the show is successful, it is mainly targeting a fairly niche target by making the show draw and to some extend depressing to watch.

On the other hand, the original BSG was a rather cheesy show that did not take itself seriously enough. However, on the plus side, it is more of a family show than the new BSG.

What I am really trying to say is that there is room for one more adaptation of Battlestar, one that can strike a nice balance between being light-hearted and serious. If we can have so many versions of Dracula, Sherlock Holmes, I do not see why there isn't any room for another remake.

There are people that did not enjoy nBSG out there because they find it to be too dark and depressing, just like how there are people that did not enjoy oBSG because it is too cheesy and light-hearted. You can tell a new version of Battlestar that both parties can enjoy.

People still talk about it and it resonated with people, EVEN if you felt like it dipped in quality after a while. That's impactful. And still, it's the only SyFy show that still gets mentioned after nearly decade.

People still talk about it and it resonated with people, EVEN if you felt like it dipped in quality after a while. That's impactful. And still, it's the only SyFy show that still gets mentioned after nearly decade.

The same can be said about oBSG as well. It resonated with enough fans that there was a constant drive to produce a new series of Battlestar. Moreover, it is not as if nBSG is that universally liked to the extend that you should always stick to the formula adopted by nBSG. Especially for people who prefer space opera over "hard sci-fi".

The oBSG is basically a space opera while the nBSG is basically "hard" sci-fi. I would love to see a new version that is a mix of the two. As much as I would like to see strong character development and how they dealt with their demons, I also like a version that is also lighted-hearted and optimistic in tone.

I just think that no matter how impactful nBSG is, that is not the only way you can approach the story of Battlestar Galactica.

I'd be up for this if it fell somewhere between old and new BSG. I agree that the original was a bit on the campy side and the new could get a bit too dark at times.
So I think that there is room for something around the middle of the two.

Even if it does get made and is not particularly good, we still have what has come before, right?

The same can be said about oBSG as well. It resonated with enough fans that there was a constant drive to produce a new series of Battlestar. Moreover, it is not as if nBSG is that universally liked to the extend that you should always stick to the formula adopted by nBSG. Especially for people who prefer space opera over "hard sci-fi".

The oBSG is basically a space opera while the nBSG is basically "hard" sci-fi. I would love to see a new version that is a mix of the two. As much as I would like to see strong character development and how they dealt with their demons, I also like a version that is also lighted-hearted and optimistic in tone.

I just think that no matter how impactful nBSG is, that is not the only way you can approach the story of Battlestar Galactica.

The reimagining is not particularly "hard".

'Battlestar Galactica' movie in development http://thr.cm/EpIITv

Battlestar Galatica is getting another shot at the big-screen.

Powerhouse producers Michael DeLuca is teaming up with Scott Stuber and Dylan Clark of Bluegrass Films to produce the movie for Universal, which is hoping to launch a massive event franchise.
Galactica was the short-lived but impactful television series created by Glen A. Larson in the post-Star Wars halo that aired on ABC from 1978 to 1979.
The show was revived and re-imagined for the post-9-11 world in 2004 as a thought-provoking, politically-charged series that ran to great acclaim on Syfy from 2004 to 2009.
As the show was winding down, Universal began developing the property as a movie, enlisting Bryan Singer to direct it and several screenwriters coming and going. Singer hasn’t been involved with the project since at least 2014.
No writers are on board at this early stage of the project.

The hook of the show concerned human civilization on distant planets being almost wiped out by intelligent machines known as Cylons. The survivors flee on starships, and led by the Galactica and her heroic crew, try to find a mythic human colony called Earth.
DeLuca is one of the producers of Universal’s Fifty Shades of Grey movies and produced its 2014 monster movie, Dracula Untold.

Stuber’s Bluegrass is coming off of Ted 2 and is prepping the Boston Marathon Bombing movie Patriot’s Day with Pete Berg directing and Mark Wahlberg starring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"