Ben Kingsley's return

pr0xyt0xin

Shaper Savant
Reaction score
IRON MAN 3 SPOILER ALERT. Can be moved to IM3 thread if a mod deems fit.

Ben Kingsley recently mentioned he is a part of a top secret Marvel project. The question is who do you believe Ben Kingsley will return as? And to what end?

It's a secret Marvel project. I'm not allowed to say any more, you're going to have to wait and see. I was with many members of the crew that were involved in Iron Man 3. It was lovely to see them again. It was great to be with this wonderful family.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/22/ben-kingsleys-got-a-new-secret-marvel-project

I personally think he was The Mandarin the whole time. He will return in the MCU's incarnation of the Masters of Evil, beginning with The Winter Soldier's post-credit sequence(s).

Many disagree and believe that he will return as Trevor Slattery in a Marvel One Shot or post-credit sequence.

Or, will he return as some other character entirely? Your comments below.

I also think he was the real Mandarin.

If only due to the whole "The Master" thing that was dropped in the middle of the film, and the biggie, the fact that they very clearly showed that he was tied to the Ten Rings, but then never elaborated.

Maybe its bad writing, but I think it was a hint that maybe there's more here than we realize.

Maybe it's bad writing. Pretty big maybe. But even if it is, it's thrilling to say the least.

I loved the twist in Iron Man 3, twisting it back again would undermine the whole thing. Maybe if Slattery became a totally different kind of Mandaring than the faux one in IM3, it could work.

I seem to remember a comic books crossover from the 80's where the villains worked together and decided to switch the heroes they fought. I don't recall the name of the series, but is it possible that Marvel would eventually do something like that in the future? Or maybe they'll combine the various baddies into a Masters of Evil type group that the Avengers fight.

- Thanos

The movie never really made it clear what Killain's connection to the Ten Rings was. Did he create them, or was he merely using their iconography for his own ends? That is a flaw in the writing. Also, it's pretty disappointing that with the Mandarin apparently connected to them, that Tony never really talked about his being held captive or see those events affect him, especially since this was the third film in a trilogy (they tend to bring things full-circle). Also, it makes SHIELD'S complete absence from the film all the more problematic, since they were already interested in the Ten Rings in the first movie. Trevor being the REAL Mandarin the whole time would be a cool twist. Or maybe he becomes a supervillain after being paid a visit by a certain purple alien that we all know.

Yeah, i'm going with him being the Manderin too. A twist on a twist.

Seems like a fun way to satisfy the whining fan-boys. I loved the twist in IM3, but Kingsley as Mandarin for real is just too tempting to pass up.

they'll probably make him the real real Mandarin to fix the wasted opportunity of IM3

The movie never really made it clear what Killain's connection to the Ten Rings was. Did he create them, or was he merely using their iconography for his own ends? That is a flaw in the writing. Also, it's pretty disappointing that with the Mandarin apparently connected to them, that Tony never really talked about his being held captive or see those events affect him, especially since this was the third film in a trilogy (they tend to bring things full-circle). Also, it makes SHIELD'S complete absence from the film all the more problematic, since they were already interested in the Ten Rings in the first movie. Trevor being the REAL Mandarin the whole time would be a cool twist. Or maybe he becomes a supervillain after being paid a visit by a certain purple alien that we all know.

The writer said that Killian had no connection to the real Ten Rings.

lol yeah they're totally gonna undo the twist because a few fanboys are upset over a movie that made a billion dollars at the box office.

He's doing something as Trevor, no doubt about it.

I'm just guessing it'll be a cameo as Trevor in Cap 2/Avengers AOU/AoS/One Shot,but I really hope it'll be revealed he was the real Mandarin.:awesome:

An 'Inside the Actor's Studio with Trevor Slattery' would be hilarious.

After Iron Man 3, I don't really want to see him comeback. But if his comeback would make Iron Man 3/The Mandarin twist better, then why not?

Marvel is not going to undermine the creative decision of a billion dollar tent pole just to apologize to pissed off fans. It'll probably be a comedic one shot ala item 47, that inside the actors studio idea would be hilarious.

Maybe he'll just turn up and get zapped by Ultron?

Maybe we'll finally get to see Trevor's King Lear.

It's most definitely a One-Shot.

Posted this idea for a Marvel One-Shot in the Iron Man 3 forum...

Kingsley reprises his role as Trevor Slattery in the next Marvel One-Shot. In it, we find that Trevor couldn't keep his mouth shut about AIM and Killian's secrets and spilled all the beans he had for a plea deal...which forced AIM to go underground. He's free and drugging it up as best he can. He's also loving the fame and notoriety. He pretty much always wears his full Mandarin outfit and enjoys giving terrifying "Mandarin" speeches to TV cameras. But soon, he thinks more people are watching him than just the American media and he gets increasingly paranoid...a fact of which the media is taking advantage of as they are getting greats ratings from video taping his even more bizarre paranoid behavior.

But we find that Trevor is indeed not paranoid. AIM henchmen find and corner him. But they don't kill him. Out of the shadows appears a cloaked figure. Killian is alive...and most displeased with the secrets that he has spilled to the authorities. Killian states that Trevor was only useful for his anonymity, of which Trevor now has none.

Killian says to Trevor that he "created him" and now he will destroy him. With that, he kills Trevor. While looking at the drunken actor's dead body, he remarks that he had at least admired Trevor's "style"...and proceeds to remove the ten rings off of Trevor's hands and place them on his own fingers one by one...

Hopefully it's a retcon of the twist,

But it won't be :(

Hopefully it's a retcon of the twist,

But it won't be :(

How so?

You mean a retcon where it's revealed that the bumbling, drunken buffoon of an actor that was Trevor Slattery was ACTUALLY the real Mandarin hiding in plain site...allowing Killian to actually run everything while he (Trevor, the "real" Mandarin) lounged in a mansion while boozing, using drugs, and having sex with random women before getting himself into multiple situations where the good OR bad guys could have blown his brains out at any time, and then getting himself thrown in prison after revealing major points of Killian's (but it was actually Trevor's) plan that allowed Iron Man to win the day?

Is that the retcon your talking about?

Because that's stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"