Black Widow News and Speculation Thread

Pre-covid Black Widow would've done well at the box office, no doubt. But in this current environment? No way in hell would it have done near the box office numbers that anyone would have wanted or desired.

We're not in the same climate where Endgame becomes the highest grossing film unadjusted, or where Joker reaches a billion without China. The box office is in new territory now.

Anyone else get the Titan books movie special for BLACK WIDOW yet? Like the rest of their MCU books its got some nice photos but nothing of a spoiler nature...happy to add it to my collection, I guess the slip case Art of book will be coming along in a few months...

"And some of Disney’s biggest movies will continue to receive exclusive runs in theaters before arriving on the company’s streaming services. For instance, contrary to widespread speculation, “Black Widow,” a much-anticipated Marvel spectacle, will remain on Disney’s theatrical release calendar for May 7, the people with knowledge of the presentation said."

Disney to Reveal Plans to Turbocharge Streaming Offerings

"And some of Disney’s biggest movies will continue to receive exclusive runs in theaters before arriving on the company’s streaming services. For instance, contrary to widespread speculation, “Black Widow,” a much-anticipated Marvel spectacle, will remain on Disney’s theatrical release calendar for May 7, the people with knowledge of the presentation said."

Disney to Reveal Plans to Turbocharge Streaming Offerings

After thinking about this some more, I think it would be a mistake to release this in theaters only in May. That is still way too soon to expect any type of normalcy even if the vaccines come out in March or April to the public. I definitely think Shang Chi and Eternals can be theatrical only since they come out later in the year. I think BW should either do a hybrid release like the WB movies or just push it back to later in the year.

After thinking about this some more, I think it would be a mistake to release this in theaters only in May. That is still way too soon to expect any type of normalcy even if the vaccines come out in March or April to the public. I definitely think Shang Chi and Eternals can be theatrical only since they come out later in the year. I think BW should either do a hybrid release like the WB movies or just push it back to later in the year.

This isn't a good barometer, but I have to chuckle at the occasional folks on Twitter who think that, even with a vaccine, things will be back to normal by next spring. Many probably things would be fine now. Even by next spring, assuming a vaccine is even readily available and accessible to the general public, people will be hesitant. Families will be hesitant to take their kids to a crowded area, not just theaters, for risk of them getting sick.

The vaccine doesn't automatically mean we return to the days of billion dollar movies. At least, not immediately, and certainly not with anything set to come out next year.

I am sorry that I have to wait longer.
However, I am happy with their decision.

My brain told me it’s too soon for Disney to commit to a D+ release for BW right now. Not before the Soul and WW84 data comes in.

My heart was still sad to not hear BW go to D+ today. May 2021 is an eternity away. But still not far enough to make a difference in terms of controlling the pandemic.

I’m not going back to theatres until I have a vaccine, but my demographic will be among the last to get it. I’m not hiding my jealousy for people who can get HBO Max.

I think the saving grace is that between January and May, we’ll be busy with WandaVision and Falcon and Winter Soldier. One show leads straight into the next (with maybe a couple of weeks in between) and before you know it, Black Widow will come out. Too bad I’ll have to wait another 3 months before it comes out on video because I’m definitely not going back to the theaters, at the very least, during the first half of 2021

It's interesting that they are still committed to giving this a theatrical release and in May which still feels way too soon IMO, but we will see how it goes because unless they do the premiere access thing like they are doing with Raya I don't see how it doesn't get delayed again.

Thank god we are getting both WandaVision and Falcon & The Winter Soldier before then though which should definitely keep us MCU fans more than satisfied.

I think the saving grace is that between January and May, we’ll be busy with WandaVision and Falcon and Winter Soldier. One show leads straight into the next (with maybe a couple of weeks in between) and before you know it, Black Widow will come out. Too bad I’ll have to wait another 3 months before it comes out on video because I’m definitely not going back to the theaters, at the very least, during the first half of 2021

I’m kind of apathetic about WV and FATWS, to be honest. Cant really identify why, but the needle is just not moved a whole lot. I’ll watch them because I’ll have nothing else to do, but frankly I just want to watch Black Widow and Hawkeye to wrap up the OG saga.

I'm glad they stuck to their guns with a theater release. I want to see Black Widow on the big screen, even if I have to wait.

I'm glad they stuck to their guns with a theater release. I want to see Black Widow on the big screen, even if I have to wait.

Disney easily could have done both D+ and theatres like they did with Raya and the Last Dragon.

Instead, everyone is forced to wait. :whatever:

Disney easily could have done both D+ and theatres like they did with Raya and the Last Dragon.

Instead, everyone is forced to wait. :whatever:
Raya is an easier choice.
It is not a widely known property.
Placing a movie that features one of the original Avengers on streaming can potentially have far reaching implications for ALL future MCU films.

Far reaching implications like what? Not like it's some universe-changing move that means every future installment is affected.

Plus, it's not a movie, but Hawkeye's an original Avenger and I doubt him getting a Disney+ series has any sort of 'far reaching implication' for ALL future MCU movies.

Last edited:
Raya is an easier choice.
It is not a widely known property.
Placing a movie that features one of the original Avengers on streaming can potentially have far reaching implications for ALL future MCU films.

Disney owns the property and sets their own trends at this point. Nobody is going to jump ship just because Black Widow went to streaming and no other MCU film followed.

Also, Black Widow is dead. Besides it introducing Yelena Belova I doubt it will be pivotal to future movies.

Far reaching implications like what? Not like it's some universe-changing move that means every future installment is affected.

Plus, t's not a movie, but Hawkeye's an original Avenger and I doubt him getting a Disney+ series has any sort of 'far reaching implication' for ALL future MCU movies.
I was not referring to Hawkeye.

This move is more about extending an olive branch to the theaters than trying to get any profit from the movie. I doubt it makes any money...at least not enough to cover the production and marketing costs. I think Eternals might be the first movie they have that could actually get any profit.

I was not referring to Hawkeye.

Clearly. Yet you still haven't said what these supposed, phantom far-reaching implications for the rest of the MCU would be if an original Avenger had their product drop on Disney+. Unless, you know, you didn't have a back-up to begin with.

Strange how the only takeaway was me bringing up Hawkeye and not, you know, your point about there being implications of Black Widow dropping on Disney+.

Okay. You want me to be clearer.
Fair enough.
My reference to far reaching implications was not about story points for future Marvel projects.
I believe that if Disney released Black Widow, An MCU property originally intended for theatrical release to Disney Plus, it would CHEAPEN the MCU Brand.
Now, before everybody says that I am crazy, just look at everything that is happening with HBO MAX and WB.
Make no mistake, I will watch every single film that WB releases , because, I am starving for original content. However as a result of all this, HBO MAX has become a kind of One Stop Shop for all things WB. I believe that lessens the uniqueness of the Warner Bros Brand.
As lifelong Marvel fan, I DO NOT WANT TO SEE THAT HAPPEN TO MY BELOVED MCU!

Okay. You want me to be clearer.
Fair enough.
My reference to far reaching implications was not about story points for future Marvel projects.
I believe that if Disney released Black Widow, An MCU property originally intended for theatrical release to Disney Plus, it would CHEAPEN the MCU Brand.
Now, before everybody says that I am crazy, just look at everything that is happening with HBO MAX and WB.
Make no mistake, I will watch every single film that WB releases , because, I am starving for original content. However as a result of all this, HBO MAX has become a kind of One Stop Shop for all things WB. I believe that lessens the uniqueness of the Warner Bros Brand.
As lifelong Marvel fan, I DO NOT WANT TO SEE THAT HAPPEN TO MY BELOVED MCU!

Disney touts Disney+ as THE place for all things Disney. They’ve already moved theatrical projects from billion-dollar flagship divisions - live-action, Disney Animation and Pixar - to streaming debuts. Like it or not, if the pandemic isn’t under control by March, Marvel Studios isn’t going to get special treatment.

One prequel moving to D+ during a global crisis isn’t going to “water down” the MCU brand any more than Disney is already doing with 10+ D series.

Disney has NEVER debuted an MCU film on DisneyPlus.
My guess is that if things continue to go badly, Disney will delay it again, maybe to late July or early August. If they move BW to Disney Plus, I will watch it.
However, I appreciate that Disney is doing their best to debut it theatrically.

Disney has NEVER debuted an MCU film on DisneyPlus.
My guess is that if things continue to go badly, Disney will delay it again, maybe to late July or early August. If they move BW to Disney Plus, I will watch it.
However, I appreciate that Disney is doing their best to debut it theatrically.

You act as if Disney+ has been around for centuries. There have been no MCU films even released since it launched besides Black Widow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"