Black Widow News and Speculation Thread

Please just let it be true. Its time to move on.
Thats easy for you to say. Not every state and country has its theaters already open.

Again this will only benefit people who are impatient to wait for the film. Marvel Studios would be releasing the film for a loss when they release it neXt month in China

Here the cinemas are still closed too.
So why are you so eager for it to come out in May? Or you just want to see it asap online as it would surely pop in pirate sites right away or the spoilers would be all over the internet in a day or two?

So why are you so eager for it to come out in May? Or you just want to see it asap online as it would surely pop in pirate sites right away or the spoilers would be all over the internet in a day or two?

Because I bet they do a similair D+ PVOD release for the countries where you cant go to the cinemas. Plus, I can wait for it and maybe can watch this and the next marvel movie more close to each other.

Because I bet they do a similair D+ PVOD release for the countries where you cant go to the cinemas. Plus, I can wait for it and maybe can watch this and the next marvel movie more close to each other.
PVOD release for Raya iirc was announced two to three months ahead to its release.

May 7 is 2 months and 2 days away and there's still ZERO marketing for this year forBlack Widow.

PVOD release for Raya iirc was announced two to three months ahead to its release.

May 7 is 2 months and 2 days away and there's still ZERO marketing for this year forBlack Widow.

There was no marketing for Wandavision 1,5 weeks before its release. They have the platform and the target audience is there. And noone can make Black Widow as an box office hit at this point anyway. Time will tell.

There was no marketing for Wandavision 1,5 weeks before its release. They have the platform and the target audience is there. And noone can make Black Widow as an box office hit at this point anyway. Time will tell.
Oh there wasn't?

WandaVision isn't a movie.

And no one is arguing that Black Widow is going to be a boX office hit if its delayed again.

Disney, just rip off the band-aid. When even Chapek is saying talking about the state of theatrical releases- somehow not getting the mixed response that Jason Kilar got- and when you know that no movie this year is going to make a billion, just put out the product.

If people want to see Black Widow and have the ability to do so with theaters open in their area, then they will. If not...then, they just can't. You've got a streaming service that's proven people will utilize it for films. Use it!

Disney, just rip off the band-aid. When even Chapek is saying talking about the state of theatrical releases- somehow not getting the mixed response that Jason Kilar got- and when you know that no movie this year is going to make a billion, just put out the product.

If people want to see Black Widow and have the ability to do so with theaters open in their area, then they will. If not...then, they just can't. You've got a streaming service that's proven people will utilize it for films. Use it!
I think they'll push it to the July spot that Shang-Chi currently has and just let it be. As of now it's only 8-9 weeks and no promo, no press tour, etc. I don't think it's keeping it's May date.

So what’s different in July? The best thing is that cinemas are open but with very reduced capacity. It will bomb like Tenet then.
And then at the end of the year, when the vaccine has reached everyone - I have a feeling, that lots of people still need a long time to get back into a closed room with 100 strangers.
That’s not gonna happen in 2021

Its easy to say when you aren't the one losing money by releasing a film in a middle of a pandemic.

By the way, they aren't showing the trailer of Black widow in Raya but Cruella. Yeah good luck seeing this in May 2021! :o

So what’s different in July? The best thing is that cinemas are open but with very reduced capacity. It will bomb like Tenet then.
And then at the end of the year, when the vaccine has reached everyone - I have a feeling, that lots of people still need a long time to get back into a closed room with 100 strangers.
That’s not gonna happen in 2021
I went to see Raya and the theater was actually pretty full, but okay. If you want to wait until Black Widow comes to Disney Plus, that's your decision.

Raya's opening weekend is more or less 8 million, much lower than the opening weekend of Tom/Jerry and Croods 2.... that is hardly good news.

My point still stands.

A premium D+ release in May would still lead to lower boX office numbers for Black Widow. Raya didn't get more theater screens because Disney and a certain theater chain couldn't come up with an agreement. Who knows if that won't happen to Black Widow in May. Black widow might get higher than 8 million but its numbers won't be that huge.

Also, you mentioned your theater while watching Raya was full - was that 100% seating capacity or only 1/4 of the theater seats were allowed to be seated?

Also, like I already said Disney is not showing a trailer for Black Widow in Raya's theater screenings, that doesn't bode well to its theaterical release in May.

My point still stands.

A premium D+ release in May would still lead to lower boX office numbers for Black Widow. Raya didn't get more theater screens because Disney and a certain theater chain couldn't come up with an agreement. Who knows if that won't happen to Black Widow in May. Black widow might get higher than 8 million but its numbers won't be that huge.

Also, you mentioned your theater while watching Raya was full - was that 100% seating capacity or only 1/4 of the theater seats were allowed to be seated?

Also, like I already said Disney is not showing a trailer for Black Widow in Raya's theater screenings, that doesn't bode well to its theaterical release in May.
Only 40% capacity. I do agree with you though, I don't think Black Widow gets released in May. Personally, I'm hoping it gets pushed to the fall.

Honestly I don’t care much about BW - but I want to see Shang Chi, Eternals, Thor Love & Thunder, Multiverse of Madness in this life
Though I’d pay for it, because going to see it in theaters will cost me 15€ + 7€ Popcorn & Coke, fuel and parking fees. So 21€ is pretty ok

Last edited:
Honestly I don’t care much about BW - but I want to see Shang Chi, Eternals, Thor Love & Thunder, Multiverse of Madness in this life
Though I’d pay for it, because going to see it in theaters will cost me 15€ + 7€ Popcorn & Coke, fuel and parking fees. So 21€ is pretty ok
You might see them within 2 years fro.now

Disney has delayed this movie this long and they probably would wait more until box numbers/theater demand are steadily increasing. During this pandemic, the highest grossing film in NA iirc is The Croods 2 which earned more or less 50 million. I doubt they delayed Black widow this long only for it to gross 10 to 25 million more in the States. International markets are another big factor. American films don't get much profit from Chinese theaters, so even if Black widow grossed $200 million in China, Disney would get less than 30% from the ticket sales if I'm not mistaken.

While films like Cruella and Raya aren't eXactly part of a 12 year old franchise and these aren't the type of movies that would draw huge amount of ticket buyers like the neXt Marvel movie. Cruella pre-pandemic, worst case scenario it would have performed like the last Maleficent movie. Best case scenario, maybe a little bit more than Cinderella 2015. Its not a fantasy movie to attract the masses the way Maleficent did in 2014. While Raya's main target market is leaning towards more to families and we know kids aren't part of the vaccination rollout as of the moment. Even if things got better 1 year or 6 months later, those kids aren't buying tickets on their own and who knows when will they get vaccinated. So dumping them in D+ this year the same day they hit theaters (though Cruella isn't confirmed yet for D+) is more reasonable than a Marvel movie, that might perform a lot better once things are back to semi normal and 60% of the population in NA (and the other big movie markets) are vaccinated. More than 30% of UK's population is already vaccinated and sometime this month, 20% of America's population are vaccinated so maybe there's hope that we would see new MCu movies this year or at least Black Widow.

Last edited:
I will still be hyped for this when it eventually comes out. Will be great to see ScarJo back again and I’m also hoping Florence Pugh nails her character so that it can be a foundation for a long MCU future.

As long as these 3 things happen and the movie is good, the wait will have been worth it:
1. A Natasha funeral
2. A setup for something major in the future of the MCU (Most likely Thunderbolts)
3. Either don't kill Taskmaster or make him really memorable

If there is a funeral for Natasha, its probably a post credit scene and , I don't see a bigTony Stark size funeral either

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"