Black Widow News and Speculation Thread

Everything I'm hearing just screams "standard MCU solo movie", with the only difference being that this is for a character who's been around since Phase 1.

One has to admit that it feels wrong/anticlimactic to have a solo movie for a character that died just a couple of movies ago.

One has to admit that it feels wrong/anticlimactic to have a solo movie for a character that died just a couple of movies ago.

It would also be unfortunate for the only 2 (thus far!) female-led MCU movies to be among the blandest the studio has produced.

And yes, the perfect time-frame for this movie was 2014-2018. Slotting it in between CW and IW would have been ideal. Maybe instead of giving us an Ant-Man sequel nobody wanted, they should have given the first female Avenger her own movie?

So Natasha is sorta sharing lead in this movie with Yelena?…I’m gonna have a great time but damn Marvel y’all take forever to give the lady her own film and then she’s gotta share it with lil sis, lol.

I had thought they had gotten out of the boring villain rut

Meh, I never really thought they had tbh. I mean, sure, we got Zemo, Vulture, Killmonger and Thanos, but then we also got Kaecilius, Ghost, Yon-Rogg and now Hayward and Karli.

Unfortunately, the good villains were always the exception rather than the rule, and now I'm all kinds of worried for Gorr the God Butcher.

I stopped taking tweet reactions seriously since Green Lantern. The first reactions are usually sycophantic critics who are grateful they saw a movie early who are forced to write their views as reactions because Twitter only allows you to write with limited characters, forcing them to be more declarative and exaggerative like Twitter is inherently engineered for. Reactions indeed. Nothing of real substance and not a platform for thoughtful analysis. Then the reviews actually get released and it's a different tune. All of these tweets just blur together and are very generic. I usually have to read these tweets with sarcasm because they have now gone into self parody. As far as I can tell and getting through the soup, it sounds... fine I guess?

This is a movie that should have been made four years ago before Infinity War. It doesn't help this movie looks like a generic action movie. This looks like the most Marvel movie that's not Ant Man.

Meh, I never really thought they had tbh. I mean, sure, we got Zemo, Vulture, Killmonger and Thanos, but then we also got Kaecilius, Ghost, Yon-Rogg and now Hayward and Karli.

Unfortunately, the good villains were always the exception rather than the rule, and now I'm all kinds of worried for Gorr the God Butcher.
Don’t think Bale would sign up for a boring villain role but who knows.

I also had to look up Yon-Rogg. Everything about that movie was so forgettable.

Pugh is getting universal praise for her performance :wowe:.

E4GUOtAWEAsQV4k
Not surprised :funny:.

I stopped taking tweet reactions seriously since Green Lantern. The first reactions are usually sycophantic critics who are grateful they saw a movie early who are forced to write their views as reactions because Twitter only allows you to write with limited characters, forcing them to be more declarative and exaggerative like Twitter is inherently engineered for. Reactions indeed. Nothing of real substance and not a platform for thoughtful analysis. Then the reviews actually get released and it's a different tune. All of these tweets just blur together and are very generic. I usually have to read these tweets with sarcasm because they have now gone into self parody. As far as I can tell and getting through the soup, it sounds... fine I guess?

This is a movie that should have been made four years ago before Infinity War. It doesn't help this movie looks like a generic action movie. This looks like the most Marvel movie that's not Ant Man.
I definitely agree to a certain extent with the reactions. I remember for a while there almost every time a new Marvel movie came out the reactions on twitter said "best MCU movie yet" and especially when it came to Guardians vol 2. All the reactions for that were extremely positive, saying it was better than the first one, etc. Then once reviews came out that all changed.

It still ended up with an 85% on Rotten Tomatoes though so I would expect Black Widow to get raving reviews once the embargo is lifted on the 29th.

This means she'll post a video about the post-credit scenes on release day with a thumbnail that spoils them.
She might indeed spoil the post credit scenes.
But, I have a feeling she might be talking about two other reveals.

It is a tad concerning there is one flat out negative reaction - so much so that pretty much every aspect a movie can be is bad in this one. Usually early reactions are very positive sometimes mixed with a couple of “good but not great”.

Normally if a critic is very negative about a movie he or she wouldn’t even bother with a social media early reaction. Does that mean that this movie is that bad? Only time will tell. I will pay 30 bucks for sure anyway.

That's a great habit. Reviews hardly feel relevant, especially for superhero movies.
That's why I typically will just check the rotten tomatoes score and other things. Especially since most reviews these days tend to tell you every plot beat and spoilers.

The nationwide theater chain put tickets for this on sale. The premier in on July 7th. I won't be seeing this in a theater because buss schedules are still reduced due to Covid and due to summer, and are likely to stay that way until August. Same chain also announced earlier this week that customers can no longer bring their own snacks or treats or drinks into the theater (though they can't really enforce it since they can't search bags or pockets) which hasn't gone well with the public. The theater I usually go to has two candy stores within 50 meters and they're packed before shows. The theater's own candy selection is poor and expensive so they can eff off. I'll rather pay the 22 euros to Disney+.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulsantiagoolg
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"