Black Widow News and Speculation Thread

Reading between the lines with early hyperbolic 'fan' reactions, this looks like it's gonna be a 'middle of the road' MCU movie.

At best, it will probably get a reception on par with Ant-Man and the Wasp;
Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018)

Perhaps a bit more appealing to Critics, because Cate Shortland is director.

I really hope Rachel Weisz isn't Taskmaster (speculation, not spoiler). That would make this film really Divisive.

The opinions that the villain is 'Lackluster' is concerning.

While I am sure that Taskmaster has cool moments in the film,
I am going to see Natasha Romanoff &,Yelena Bulova , two names that have been associated with Black Widow through the decades.
As long as they are primary focus of this story(and, it certainly sounds as if they are.) I will have no problem with how they use Taskmaster.

Grain of salt.

Grace Randolph (dun dun dun) believes the film will be divisive and receive some vocal online hate after seeing it, regarding some of the twists and changes made.

Grain of salt.

Grace Randolph (dun dun dun) believes the film will be divisive and receive some vocal online hate after seeing it, regarding some of the twists and changes made.

There are rumors that

Taskmaster is a woman. Dreykov's daughter and she would be played by Olga Kurylenko

One of the reasons I like Robert Meyer Burnett so much is that although he's a comic book die hard, he isn't bothered by race changing or gender changing of a character. He's doesn't care if "so and so was male in the comics but a female in the movie" he wants a great story.

Last edited:
RMB is great. Had some conversations w him long ago during the Superman Returns days.

As far as Taskmaster goes, that change you described has potential for Mandarin-level backlash.

I personally don't care either way, but it will be unfortunate if the reactions are divisive.

I suspected something along those lines when the trailers really emphasized Nat saying "Who is that Guy" ? And OT Fagbenle seems like such an red herring character.

Yikes.

These guys generally like everything and are easily-pleased nerds. The type that seem ideal for early screeners that studios select.

I expected them to be a lot more enthusiastic, as they usually are.

The Reel Rejects have been praising the first two Loki episodes.

RMB is great. Had some conversations w him long ago during the Superman Returns days.

As far as Taskmaster goes, that change you described has potential for Mandarin-level backlash.

I personally don't care either way, but it will be unfortunate if the reactions are divisive.

I suspected something along those lines when the trailers really emphasized Nat saying "Who is that Guy" ? And OT Fagbenle seems like such an red herring character.

Yikes.

These guys generally like everything and are easily-pleased nerds. The type that seem ideal for early screeners that studios select.

I expected them to be a lot more enthusiastic, as they usually are.

YouTube videos like "Woke Marvel turns Taskmaster into a Woman!" or "I am tired of the Marvel Woke Universe!"

YouTube videos like "Woke Marvel turns Taskmaster into a Woman!" or "I am tired of the Marvel Woke Universe!"

Even the Reel Rejects agree with Grace Randolph that the reactions will be Divisive.

"Theres gonna be a pocket of the internet, that this move will provoke" ... And it sounds like they're referring to Taskmaster. They make cringe faces when the topic of Taskmaster comes up.

I really hope this isn't the case. So much potential with the character.

Even the Reel Rejects agree with Grace Randolph that the reactions will be Divisive.

"Theres gonna be a pocket of the internet, that this move will provoke" ... And it sounds like they're referring to Taskmaster. They make cringe faces when the topic of Taskmaster comes up.

I was never a superhero comics guy (I was more of a Peanuts/Garfield/Far Side type) and so I researched Taskmaster and it seems like a character that they could do a lot with in the MCU.

There are rumors that

Taskmaster is a woman. Dreykov's daughter and she would be played by Olga Kurylenko

One of the reasons I like Robert Meyer Burnett so much is that although he's a comic book die hard, he isn't bothered by race changing or gender changing of a character. He's doesn't care if "so and so was male in the comics but a female in the movie" he wants a great story.
I have been aware of these rumors for awhile.
For me, they are NOT a dealbreaker.

Sounds like this will end up being one of Marvel’s more controversial entries partly as a result of that change to the character but even with the movie being controversial remember the last controversial MCU movie that made a major change to a popular villain? Iron Man 3 and that movie is still certified fresh on RT. While I would be somewhat pleasantly surprised to see this movie get bad reviews and be the first MCU movie to be rated rotten on RT, I still think at worst it ends in the 70’s territory like Captain Marvel and Age Of Ultron.

Iron Man 3 had RDJ though. He is the core of this entire MCU. He elevates everything with his charisma. It's no surprise IM3 was a massive success.

Scar Jo is alright, but even these giddy nerd reactions seem to acknowledge that she takes a backseat in this movie.

Phase 4 MCU has the potential to be divisive and controversial, as a whole. Lots of risky decisions. The biggest being not Recasting T'Challa, and making a new lead for the BP franchise. That could split the audience..badly.

That being said, an experimental phase seems to be the only way to go after the heights of IW/Endgame. The genre won't reach those heights again anytime soon.

You guys could at least mark spoilers, even if it is just speculation. Some of us want to be surprised when we see this, especially after waiting over a year to see it.

We already know that they are showing us Budapest. I suspect part of the reason that we are hearing that Natasha is taking a backseat is,
because Yelena is in the thick of it, at the very start, in Budapest with Natasha

Last edited:
I have been aware of these rumors for awhile.
For me, they are NOT a dealbreaker.

Me neither. I've only read one Taskmaster story, his introduction. I don't have any affiliation to the character so this means nothing, if true. But I can definitely guess which "corner" would get outraged about it. And I'm already dreading Youtube recommending me channels I've blocked.

Why does Marvel insist on ruining classic characters with cute twists? Why can't they just take a great villain like Taskmaster from the comics and use him? As is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulsantiagoolg
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"