DC Films Blue Beetle

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaelaTargaryen

Sidekick
Reaction score

DC and Warner Bros. are developing their first Latino superhero movie about Jaime Reyes, aka the “Blue Beetle,” individuals with knowledge of the project exclusively tells TheWrap.

Mexican-born writer Gareth Dunnet-Alcocer, who wrote Universal’s “Scarface,” has been tapped to write the screenplay. Dunnet-Alocer also wrote the upcoming “Miss Bala” remake for Sony.

Zev Foreman is executive producing for Warner Bros.

I wondered what was keeping them. It felt like something they would've done already. The Reach make for some good villains though.

attachment.php

Jaime Reyes ‘Blue Beetle’ Latino Superhero Movie in Development at DC and Warner Bros (Exclusive)

DC and WB Developing Jaime Reyes 'Blue Beetle' Latino Superhero Movie

...this will be the first stand-alone title to feature a Latino lead.

That's pretty awesome!

Mexican-born writer Gareth Dunnet-Alcocer, who wrote Universal’s “Scarface,” has been tapped to write the screenplay. Dunnet-Alocer also wrote the upcoming “Miss Bala” remake for Sony

Miss Bala was pretty hard...

Alocer's remake:
[video=youtube;e-kPf-n4Mto]

I’ll believe it when I see it. There’s a reason this news isn’t really trending... DC keeps announcing movies that never seem to happen

I have a feeling that if Aquaman is successful, WB is gonna start really pushing their less well known characters.
We’ll get a bunch of movies of characters that the GA aren’t so familiar with.

About time!! Blue Beetle is a great character and has so much potential! Im on cloud 9 right now! If WB/DC plays their cards right, they could have a massive hit on their hands!

I think that's been the plan for a while. We've known about a number of lesser known characters that have been in development for a while now, including Blue Beetle. Nice to see more confirmation, though.

I'm not surprised they've gone for the Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle but I hope we see Ted Kord in some capacity or Dan Garret.

How many films are there allegedly in development now?

Studios always have lots of films in various stages of development so it's not that big a deal.

Are there 25 Transformers films in development? Or Star Trek or Marvel or any other singular IP?

Last edited:
Are there 25 Transformers films in development? Or Star Trek or Marvel or any other singular IP?

Sony have various Spider-Man spin off films with Morbius, Into the Spider-Verse and a Spider-Women spin-off to Into the Spider-Verse not to mention Venom

Likely Ted Kord will be featured in a mentor role.
Similar to Stark to Parker.
Or to Michael Douglas' Pym in Ant-man.
Which was pretty much a reworking of Anthony Hopkins' Diego De La Vega role as mentor to, Antonio Banderas' Zorro.

Although not as someone who invented the tech. just trying to understand the alien tech, and maybe trying to reverse engineer it. As Jaime struggles with it.
Going further I hope Ted Kord has the old diaries and notes of one Dan Garret, with clues to an ancient scarab.

Harrison Ford as Dan Garret.
To on the nose?

OK Tom Selleck as Dan Garret.

John Krasinski as Ted Kord

Xolo Maridueña as Jaime Reyes.

Last edited:
Likely Ted Kord will be featured in a mentor role.
Similar to Stark to Parker
Or to Michael Douglas' Pym in Ant-man.
Which was pretty much a reworking of Anthony Hopkins' Diego De La Vega role as mentor to, Antonio Banderas' Zorro.
I hope they stick to the Star Kid template. Also, isn't Scarab Beetle different from the guy who made his tech & took the label?

isn't Scarab Beetle different from the guy who made his tech & took the label?
Yes but I like connecting them.
Like I suggested: Dan Garret the original could be an archaeologist who once discovered what he believed to be an ancient scarab deity, with powers, and wrote letters and diaries in pursuit of it from Egypt to ancient temples in the Yucatán, pursued the mystery his whole life etc..
Ted Kord could be a scientist and engineer who followed the diaries, trying to understand the alien tech. maybe even trying to reverse engineer it (not designed it himself)
And Jaime is finally the one who becomes the Blue Beetle when the alien scarab connects with him.

Last edited:
Yes but I like connecting them.
Like I said Ted could be a scientist trying to understand the alien tech. maybe even reverse engineer it (not designed it himself)
If we're sticking to comics lore, I'd want him involved just to butt in over a kid happening to use what he's had for years passed down to him from the other Beetle.

Sony have various Spider-Man spin off films with Morbius, Into the Spider-Verse and a Spider-Women spin-off to Into the Spider-Verse not to mention Venom

That’s 4 movies, all of which we’ll probably see, compared to literally 25+ that are in development at WB, most of which will never get past pre-production.

I’ve heard a lot of people here wave this off as normal behavior in Hollywood. It’s really not. Again, not saying it’s a huge deal, but it isn’t normal.

If Aquaman is as successful as it appears to be then we have a better chance of seeing more of these projects and I’m all for it. I just want them to pick a plan and stick with it.

Last edited:
Still kinda wish they went forward with that TV show a few years back.

It's not normal to have this many things in development from one arm of the studio. Batgirl, Supergirl, Deadshot, Nightwing, Flash, Cyborg, Green Lantern Corps, Joker and Harley Quinn, Gotham City Sirens, god knows how many more I've missed. I get they've effectively abandoned the entire shared universe concept, but there's literally no point in putting any of these movies into any type of development until you have an idea of exactly what the objective is for all of them.

I think they'd get a name for Ted Kord if they had him in the film although I wonder if his Blue Beetle should appear either as a suit or him in costume or if that would bring up too many questions,

It's not normal to have this many things in development from one arm of the studio. Batgirl, Supergirl, Deadshot, Nightwing, Flash, Cyborg, Green Lantern Corps, Joker and Harley Quinn, Gotham City Sirens, god knows how many more I've missed. I get they've effectively abandoned the entire shared universe concept, but there's literally no point in putting any of these movies into any type of development until you have an idea of exactly what the objective is for all of them.
To the contrary, there's no point in having an idea of exactly what the objective is for all of them if they've effectively abandoned the entire shared universe concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"