• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

DC Films Blue Beetle

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Steve Carrell isn't cast as Penguin, get him for Kord

they Hype just picked up the story too- Warner Bros. is Developing a Blue Beetle Movie for the DCEU

How about Kobra Kai's Xolo Maridueña as Jaime Reyes?

latest

tumblr_md4o5v50as1rkz9b7o1_500.gif

Xolo seems to be the fan favorite to play Jaime, which means he likely won't get it :/ I hope he does get it though as his character on Kobra Kai is Jaime Reyes! Plus he looks like the character, is young enough and is Mexican too! Perfect for the role!

Just found out and I am beyond ecstatic! REPRESENT! This is seriously one of the moments I've waited for since 'Black Panther' was a success. It's actually happening. :woo:

Just really hope they put all of the effort into making it a great film now. This news made my day.

Last edited:
I'd be down for Xolo as Jaime!
He seems interested in the character too! He's liked fan casts of him as Jaime on IG and Twitter. Hopefully he at least auditions when they do casting calls...

They need the movie to star Ted Kord who is CEO of Kord Industries. The teenage version is not that good. He is just a bad version of Max Steel and not even the original version. Why do they keep skipping original characters like Kord or Alan Scott or Yellow suit Daredevil, etc for movies? Blue Beetle movie yes, Ted Kord yes, Reyes no. Where's Batman beyond instead if want teenage hero movie?

They need the movie to star Ted Kord who is CEO of Kord Industries. The teenage version is not that good. He is just a bad version of Max Steel and not even the original version. Why do they keep skipping original characters like Kord or Alan Scott or Yellow suit Daredevil, etc for movies? Blue Beetle movie yes, Ted Kord yes, Reyes no. Where's Batman beyond instead if want teenage hero movie?

This reminds me of the Ant-Man situation, and I think they should handle it similarly. Ted Kord can pass on the mantle.

Jaime Reyes: Xolo Mariduena
Booster Gold: Owen Wilson
Ted Kord: Ben Stiller

They need the movie to star Ted Kord who is CEO of Kord Industries. The teenage version is ....not even the original version. Why do they keep skipping original characters like Kord
Ted Kord wasn't the original either, Dan Garret was.
So that you would be fine skipping over the actual original to make it about just your favorite, seems a bit hypocritical.

Anyway, film will be about Jaime, still several of us are suggesting they follow the templates of Mask of Zorro, and Ant-Man which successfully featured a passing the mantle from one gen to the next theme. And gave both characters plenty of spotlight.

This is what is being suggested:

Likely Ted Kord will be featured in a mentor role.
Similar to Stark to Parker.
Or to Michael Douglas' Pym in Ant-man.
Which was pretty much a reworking of Anthony Hopkins' Diego De La Vega role as mentor to, Antonio Banderas' Zorro.

Although not as someone who invented the tech. just trying to understand the alien tech, and maybe trying to reverse engineer it. As Jaime struggles with it.
Going further I hope Ted Kord has the old diaries and notes of one Dan Garret, with clues to an ancient scarab. ... connecting them.
- Dan Garret the original could be an archaeologist who once discovered what he believed to be an ancient scarab deity, with powers, and wrote letters and diaries in pursuit of it from Egypt to ancient temples in the Yucatán, pursued the mystery his whole life etc..
- Ted Kord could be a scientist and engineer who followed the diaries, trying to understand the alien tech. maybe even trying to reverse engineer it....
- And Jaime is finally the one who becomes the Blue Beetle when the alien scarab connects with him.

Tom Selleck as Dan Garret.

John Krasinski as Ted Kord

Xolo Maridueña as Jaime Reyes.

This reminds me of the Ant-Man situation, and I think they should handle it similarly. Ted Kord can pass on the mantle.

Jaime Reyes: Xolo Mariduena
Booster Gold: Owen Wilson
Ted Kord: Ben Stiller

Which is much more fair than what you suggest LOL!
Ted Kord yes, Reyes no.

Hopefully it features Jaime, Ted and Dan Garret too! LOL!

DtQ6Ni3XQAE0DOy.jpg

Any wondering about Krasinski fitness or acting chops check him as Jack Ryan
He can be the Ted Kord the tech guy, and Ted Kord the action hero and Ted Kord the Buahahah! guy for the eventual Blue and Gold Booster team-up!
sCrcO5T.jpg

Last edited:
To the contrary, there's no point in having an idea of exactly what the objective is for all of them if they've effectively abandoned the entire shared universe concept.

Except all of them were announced back when they were pushing for a shared universe so, yeah, they should have had some kind of an objective.

That said, I’m betting 90% of those planned movies are scrapped at the moment. I’ll eat my shoe if we see Green Lantern on the big screen in the next 5 years. I’d love to see that but it ain’t happening until they get more unqualified hits like WW.

That said, I’m betting 90% of those planned movies are scrapped at the moment. I’ll eat my shoe if we see Green Lantern on the big screen in the next 5 years. I’d love to see that but it ain’t happening until they get more unqualified hits like WW.

Aquaman is the test as far as if that GL reboot is possible. Blue Beetle...depends on the story they go for, but that's do-able sub 100.

Go with another rich white dude? Bah. Been there, done that. No, thank you.

No they don't. I find it hilarious that you hate WB skipping Ted for Jaime, the latter of which is clearly more marketable (thanks to more outside media appearances), but are perfectly ok with them skipping Dan Garrett (the actual OG) for Ted Kord (actually the 2nd Blue Beetle). Hypocrisy at its finest!

It's clear why Jaime Reyes was picked. He has the most solo stories and has been more successful than his predecessors. He has an actual rogues gallery, supporting cast, an actual mythology that centers around him, and DC actually created him (unlike Ted and Dan who were created by other companies). Plus he's a teenage superhero without all the angst, and if his film is successful (which being the first Latino led superhero film almost guarantees, assuming quality) it can lead to Teen Titans/Young Justice, a trilogy and spin-offs.

Edit: Batman Beyond would be cool, but that's another Bat character, and DC needs to stop relying on the Bat franchise so much!

Jaime Reyes' Blue Beetle is an easier sell than Ted Kord, the suit and powers would be visually stunning in live action and I think the legacy aspect is something that would work as a story point.

I wonder if Kord was in the film, if they would explain why the Blue Beetle has been absent for so many years, perhaps much like Batman, he's an urban legend or simply people forgot about him.

The only upside to Kord is his relationship with Booster
Jaime works better as a solo character. He’s the stronger character overall

Batman: Brave and the Bold- Skipped over both Dan and Ted in favor of Jaime Reyes, who has an entire season dedicated to him and his rogues.

Smallville- Skipped over both Dan and Ted. Jaime is the one that interacts with Booster Gold and Superman.

Young Justice- Skipped over both Dan and Ted in favor of Jaime Reyes, who once again has an entire season dedicated to him and his rogues.

DCAMU- Jaime Reyes has shown up in two of the films as a main character. No mention of Ted or Dan.

Injustice 2- Jaime Reyes is a playable character, with a chapter in story mode dedicated to him. No mention of Ted or Dan in the game.

Jaime Reyes has also shown up in various DC mobile games (DC Legends, Infinite Crisis, Injustice, Teeny Titans...etc) where he is the sole Blue Beetle (no mention of Ted or Dan). He's shown up in SHG as well, and even had a tv series in development once upon a time. Those thinking that Jaime wouldn't be the DCEU Blue Beetle, and Ted or Dan would be, were kidding themselves, going by history! Hell, Jaime is the Blue Beetle shown in the DC intro for crying out loud!!

Jaime is easily the better character, there’s no denying that. But they would be foolish to not feature Kord in a mentor role. Or even handle Kord the way they did in BATB. Just show him in flashbacks.
Hey I mean if Max Lord is in WW84, maybe he could be the one that kils Kord.

Plus he's a teenage superhero without all the angst, and if his film is successful (which being the first Latino led superhero film almost guarantees, assuming quality) it can lead to Teen Titans/Young Justice, a trilogy and spin-offs.
To make it clear you mean the first dc and dceu comicbook latino superhero film.

Here is a list of appearances by other blue beetles in other media by the way.
Ted Kord
In other media
Television
Ted Kord appears in Batman: The Brave and the Bold, voiced by Wil Wheaton.
Ted Kord appeared in the season 10 of Smallville, played by Sebastian Spence.
Blue Beetle appears in Mad, voiced by Keith Ferguson
Ted Kord is alluded in the Young Justice: Invasion. In "Salvage", Jaime Reyes stated that Ted was the creator of the Scarab's A.I. component. It is also mentioned that Kord had been killed by The Light (Project Cadmus' Board of Directors) which led to Jaime taking up the mantle.
Ted Kord is mentioned in a flashback by Moira Queen in an episode of Arrow.

Film
A Crime Syndicate of America version Blue Beetle named Scarlet Scarab briefly appeared in Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths.
Ted Kord as Blue Beetle makes a brief appearance in Teen Titans Go! To the Movies.

Video games
Ted Kord as Blue Beetle appears in Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure.
Ted Kord is mentioned in Injustice 2 by Jaime Reyes and Black Canary in a clash dialogue, in which Black Canary voices her misplaced belief that Blue Beetle is still Ted Kord.

Miscellaneous
Blue Beetle has appeared in the Justice League Unlimited spin-off comic book, in issues #5 and #8.

Dan Garret
In other media
Radio
The Blue Beetle had a short career on the radio, between May and September 1940. Motion picture and radio actor Frank Lovejoy was the Blue Beetle for the first 13 episodes, while for the rest of the shows, the voice was provided by a different, uncredited actor.

Film
Dan Garret appears on the cover of a comic book in the Watchmen film tie-in Under the Hood.

Television
Dan Garrett makes a brief, non-voiced appearance in Batman: The Brave and the Bold in the episode "Fall of the Blue Beetle!" and his suit appears in the episode "Menace of the Madniks!" next to Ted Kord's suit.
In Smallville episode, "Booster", Kal-El mentioned his name in which he was a Kord Industries scientist who was killed after the Scarab bonded with him.

Dan Garrett, the original Blue Beetle, appears in a non-speaking cameo in the episode "Failsafe" of Young Justice, in which several scenes depict the members of the Justice Society of America, in 1939. Dan appears among several of the most prominent members of the team, such as Green Lantern, Doctor Fate, and Flash. The episode "Intervention" later tells the full story of the scarab: ancient Bialyan mystics deactivated its Reach control centuries ago, and it lay dormant until it was discovered by Dan Garrett, who fused with it to become the first Blue Beetle.

Last edited:
To make it clear you mean the first dc and dceu comicbook latino superhero film.
Nope! I meant in general. Zorro is the only other example and it starred Antonio Bamderas, who is a Spaniard aka Hispanic and not Latino.

Blue Beetle would be the first Latino led superhero film, assuming Marvel doesn't fast track Sam Alexander Nova now or does something with Robbie Reyes Ghost Rider.

Nope! I meant in general. Zorro is the only other example and it starred Antonio Bamderas, who is a Spaniard aka Hispanic and not Latino.

Blue Beetle would be the first Latino led superhero film, assuming Marvel doesn't fast track Sam Alexander Nova now or does something with Robbie Reyes Ghost Rider.
I did include zorro as latino so i had that in mind when i replied to you and of course if you talking about film miles(spiderman) will have a film this year.He would be the first.
It's not live action but it's still a film.
If you talking about the first live action film then dc could be first before marvel.
There is Latino superhero film from a Spanish speaking country.
# Alan Diaz (Mighty Med)

Last edited:
By the way hispanic would include all Spanish speakers of all races right?so you could say zorro is the first hispanic superhero to have films and blue beetle(Jaime ) would be the first hispanic to have a film from dc.
Miles(spider man) to be the first to have a film from sony marvel.
I have for awhile always thought of hispanic as latino and latino as hispanic because of the news etc..
Here is another hispanic/latino superhero film.
Superlópez - Trailer (HD)

Last edited:
LOL my favorite: Latinos are not Hispanic yet Hispanos are Latino.

Hispanic/Hispano & Latin/Latino have come to be at times the most useless and still used "label" assigned to a people, they are so fluid they can and have been at different times and place randomly applied to culture, race, ethnicity, language or at times all, some or none, while at the same time not well representing any of those. And it means something different to people wherever you go. To Europe, to the Americas, from North to south America, in Brazil (don't call them either) or the Caribbean, even in the US East coast vs West cost used one or the other to sometimes mean different things depending on where or when you grew up.
And while on the one hand either works and has been used as a positive personal identifier, they can and have also been used historically to pigeonhole and separate, again depending when and where you were.

LOL this Superlópez is a very Spain/Spanish character, not sure he is that familiar in the Americas; South or US. .

Last edited:
LOL my favorite: Latinos are not Hispanic yet Hispanos are Latin.

Hispanic/Hispano & Latin/Latino have come to be at times the most useless and still used "label" assigned to a people, they are so fluid they can and have been at different times and place randomly applied to culture, race, ethnicity, language or at times all, some or none, and it means something different to people wherever you go. To Europe, to the Americas, from North to south America, in Brazil (don't call them either) or the Caribbean, even in the US East coast vs West cost used one or the other to sometimes mean different things depending on where or when you grew up.
And while on the one hand either works and has been used as a positive personal identifier, they can and have also been used historically to pigeonhole and separate, again depending when and where you were.

Lol they are complicated descriptions on ethnic, and sometimes racial identification. Throw in the fact that East Coast Americans tend to throw in the term "Spanish" as well, which complicates things even further.

To me:

Latino= Anyone from Latin America (including Brazil), regardless of race (Brown, White, Black),

Hispanic= Anyone from a Spanish speaking country, regardless of geography (Europe/Americas) or race (Brown, White, Black)

Spanish= White people from Spain (and only Spain).

Things get complicated because, at least here on the West Coast (Southwest USA), people use Latino/Hispanic interchangeably and as racial descriptions. There's also the fact that most Latinos don't even know their racial background or anything about the history of their ancestral lands. Just watch any dna results videos from Latinos on YT and you'll see what I mean.

Anyway, I'm hoping this movie sees the light of day because Blue Beetle is my favorite DC character and I feel the character has so much untapped potential! Now let the speculation commense! Who should direct? Star in it? Who should be the villain/s? Should Ted/Dan appear? Hmmm

Dan Garrett is original version yes. Ted Kord is best version is why I chose him. The original beetle was Dan Garrett, archeologist, married who found the scarab in a Pharaoh tomb. The original spiderman was a perverted man in 1947 enemy of Captain Marvel who had webs that marvel used it to make Parker. Daredevil, the original was Bart Hill who used a boomerang as weapon with a half blue/ half orange suit who was also a mute which also marvel redesigned. Who wants to see them though? I would if done good. The original Superman was a bald telepath who came to earth to destroy and take over with no costume. Made in 1933 and scrapped. His real name Bill Dunn, a vagrant who was experimented on for a meal killing scientist Smalley who gave him temporary powers and wanted to rule. Lets not forget original red costume, eye mask Bat-man before the redesign.
There are many but only original ideas after that are common than them or liked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"