Bought/Thought for June 10th, 2009 (SPOILERS within!)

ASM #597 - Easily the best BND arc, and only three issues in.

Unwritten #2 - Great book, I'm loving the twisted Harry Potter feel.

Deadpool #11 - Alright, a few laughs here and there, but still not as good as the first issues, imo. If this comic doesn't get better within the next few issues, I'll probably drop it.

Yo Dread, did you ever write up a review for X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE?

Yo Dread, did you ever write up a review for X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE?

I almost did, but after a bit felt that it was so atrocious that it wasn't worth the time. Over 100 minutes was already thrown to oblivion watching it once. :o

Sorry.

I got around to reading Uncanny X-Men #511. The full review is over at my blog (with pictures), but here's the final paragraph, which I feel sums up my feelings:

This entire plot was poorly conceived, and even more poorly executed. Characters acted with no motivations. Others knew things they had no business knowing simply so the story would progress faster. Things happened with no explanation given as to how. It’s like Brubaker and Fraction were sitting down one day and said “Hey, what if Cyclops’ ex-wife came back from the dead as a bad guy?” They then proceeded to shove her into a couple of scenes with menacing dialogue without any plans for her beyond leading a Sisterhood of Mutants. Then when Brubaker left the title, Fraction realized he needed to wrap up that little subplot before moving on to his Dark Reign crossover, and phoned it in. This is so unbelievably below Fraction’s usual standards that my overwhelming sense of disappointment is shadowed only by my frustration. I honestly question how Fraction could’ve turned in the four scripts to “Sisterhood” with a sense accomplishment. This storyline was nothing to be proud of, and was the biggest waste of time this title has seen sense the ending to “The Rise and Fall of the Shi’ar Empire” (though “Sisterhood” had the common decency to end).

I asked the clerk at my LCS if I could reserve my copy of CAPTAIN AMERICA #600 in advance, expecting a mad-house and them to be sold out about an hour after opening, since Marvel has all but ensured this print of the issue will sell out without giving shops any time to increase orders. The conversation went like this:

"You're selling Captain America #600 on Monday, right?"
"Yeah."
"Can I reserve a copy now?"
"No, can't do that. Some newspaper thing is coming out on Monday and it is going to be a big thing."
"So, basically, anyone who wants a copy has to camp out in front of the store when you open, right?"
"Pretty much." Clerk smiles.

This, my friends, is why comics lose customers to the Internet every year.

Because a lot of us (myself included) spend an amount of time defending the poor LCBS against various Marvel. etc. policies, I think it's worth noting that the LCBS seem to be happily taking part in this. They all have pull lists, and they could put it in those first, and give vouchers to anyone else coming in. If they're doing stuff like what you mentioned, it's no different than what they did with the Death of Superman issue. And that worked out REAAALL well for the comic industry.

I guess I'll have to go to my LCBS today and see if they're doing the same thing. I doubt I would go so far as to drop it from my pull list, but I would remind them of how much I spend a month, and that there are other stores I can go to. They should be very wary of playing with customers when there are other outlets available (subscriptions, Marvel Digital, etc.)

All that being said (and I know this might sound a bit contradictory), I have no problem with limited print runs. And here's why:

*In this case, anyone who has bought comics the last few years know full well that there will be reprints. They only do this to drum up interest. So, unless you have collector mentality and MUST own the first printing and immediately seal it away for posterity (and your kids' college education), it's really a non-issue. When the Obama issue came out, even my girlfriend asked me if I was getting it (I had a sub at the time). I told her if I want another, I'll wait until the 5th or 6th printing. She actually asked me how I knew that they'd reprint it (she's so cute...) Making inroads into the public conciousness is never a bad thing. But for us "insiders", it's really just silliness. And it was fun watching the Obama-ites lined up leaving their name and number.

*Other companies limit the number of items even though they know how much demand there is. Apple comes to mind. They play this game every time one of their products come out. And they charge more for it. And inevitably, they come out with the story about how they have their factories working overtime to meet the demand. It's no different.

*The industry is run much differentlly than it was in the past, where they regularly "destroyed" comics, and sold them on the secondary market (flea markets). The cost of producing comics is much higher, and LCBS's can't return. It all leads to an incentive to never, ever print comics that won't be sold. Now, you can never really do that, because the shops need something on hand for the walk-ins to look at. But, in their hearts, I betcha they'd love a system in which all customers were more like subscribers, and they ordered, maybe, 2 or 3 comics above that.

Beta Ray Bill: Godhunter #1: Great issue. I had a few minor problems with the dialogue here and there, but for the most part it seems poised to be a great Beta Ray Bill spin on the classic "hero wants to do good so bad he gets twisted toward evil" yarn. I was enjoying it until Bill declared to Stardust that Galactus would starve no matter what, and then I loved it. :) Kano's art was good as well.

Lockjaw and the Pet Avengers #2: Super-fun. I loved it muchly. I was surprised that Zabu joined up with the team. If any comic deserved to be called a "romp," this one would be it. I'm looking forward to the next issue.

War of Kings: Savage World of Sakaar: I liked this issue but it felt a little pointless. Unless Sakaar factors into the climax of War of Kings, anyway, which I doubt it will. Still, it was a decent face-off between Gorgon and Starbolt, each representing their respective side in the war. They bond as warriors while Skaar does his best to murder them for posing a threat to Sakaar. Ultimately, it's all for naught because Lockjaw picks them up and Starbolt immediately holds Luna hostage so Lockjaw will send him back to the Shi'ar Empire. The respective soldiers tell their leaders about Sakaar and the Oldpower, both express interest, and probably nothing will come of it. Still, nice to see more separate cosmic stuff being included in the big cosmic crossovers.

I really liked Beta Ray Bill, too, and loved the "starve the beast" strategy. I hope things don't go too far with Bill. I liked that they reprinted his first appearance, also.

You're tempting me with Pet Avengers. What would you tell people if you really wanted them to buy it (convince me, I'm easy.)

Hmm, pressure. It's just fun. Innocent, pure, hilarious fun. It's not deep or overly intelligent or anything, but it'll almost certainly bring a smile to your face. I don't know about you, but I've missed that in comics. And it does so while still very firmly living in the Marvel universe. References abound to some of the stuff that the pets and their masters have gone through, which, if you read their comics, you'll probably recognize. It's not intrusive (although Throg's origin could've taken a little less space in #1) and it enriches the story, as continuity should.

Let me ask you a question: I'm always looking for stuff for my gf's teen daughter. She loved Runaways (original) MJ loves Spidey, and just recently, I've been getting her Wizard of Oz, which she says she really likes. Is this something that would be enjoyable if you didn't know who Lockjaw, Zabu, etc were?

Yeah, I think so. Without the knowledge of who their respective superheroes are, you've still got a fun, colorful team of animal heroes. Kids dig anthropomorphized animals, right?

Well, she's 15, so "kid" is pretty much the biggest insult you can convey upon her, but I get your point! I think I'll give it a go.

Hey, as long as she's not one of those teenagers who're totally consumed by angst, she should enjoy it. It's like a Disney cartoon in comic form. I still enjoyed Disney cartoons at 15. Hell, I still enjoy them now.

I know I was. But I could still enjoy things like Pet Avengers.

I'll be getting Pet Avengers in trade... :up:

:yay:

Before I sit down to read Agents of Atlas #'s 1 to 6, is there any pertinent info that I need to know?

Or is it pretty self-explanatory?

And as far as my LCBS (we have 3 of them in a city of 125 000 people :huh: ), I can call any of the three and they'll put anything I ask aside for me...

^ I have to be honest: when I see comments like that, it makes me want to go out and buy multiple copies of Rulk.

Mentioning Pet Avengers in the same sentence as Rulk makes me want to spit.

why? thats why some great books sell bad, but crap ridden books like Pet avengers and Rulk suceeds.

Because I like the idea of a 4 issue "fun" story...

Are you on of the 4000 buyers of Rex Mundi? I am. And it's arguably one of the better books on the market.

"Great books" is subjective.

When I was much younger circa 1978, I was made "fun" of by fellow comic book buyers because I prefered buying Captain America, Spider-Man & the Hulk over Miller's DareDevil & DC's Omega Men (which was really "hot" at the time)... I don't think any of us are in any position to "make fun" of others for the books they buy, and we should all be grateful that some of us are still buying comics in general.

No it's completely accessable and easy to follow. You may or may not know who some of the characters are, but you'll like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"